PDA

View Full Version : Zappa

progdirjim
03-11-2004, 11:37 PM
Thanks to the generosity of Moses (and you people are starting to OVERWHELM me), I now have over a dozen discs worth of Zappa to sort through. I have a question. Do people want to hear all of Zappa's stuff? I'm already planning on skipping the pure doo-wop songs; they're well done but clearly not progressive. Most of his instrumental or mostly instrumental stuff is a no-brainer add; where I'm curious is the songs that are primarily about vocal content. I'm not asking if Zappa offends you, although if you have a strong feeling on that, feel free to comment. But, a song like "Bobby Brown", while hilarious, is basically a rock song in 4 with out any mind-boggling solos. Do songs like that belong on Aural Moon? Since I'm going to be adding a ton of Zappa, I'm leaning towards NO, but input is welcome...

Michael
03-12-2004, 12:18 AM
Man its been years since i heard Joe's garage ;)

Rick and Roll
03-12-2004, 06:46 AM
You're either really into Zappa or not. He's had so much output, it's so hard to discern.

Most of the 70's stuff is addable. The Man From Utopia and that other stuff is more difficult.

Also with him, there are tons on live material.

Good luck!

Yesspaz
03-12-2004, 02:07 PM
Since there is so much Zappa, I'd go for the no brainer adds, but stuff like Bobby Brown I'd leave out. Even picking judiciously, Zappa will still out represent Yes or Floyd or Crimson. That'd be a LOT of Zappa.

I'm interested to hear EP's take on it.

QuantumJo
03-12-2004, 03:31 PM
As much as I luv Eff Zee some of his stuff is a bit rough on the ears. Any addition to the play list is welcome to me; I’ll just pick out the stuff that I like. I wont even get into the topic “what music is prog” it appears to me that Aural Moon is much more than pure prog and I am glad that it is that way.

Yesspaz
03-12-2004, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by QuantumJo
it appears to me that Aural Moon is much more than pure prog

If you ask certain people here what qualifies as pure prog you'd end up with about six albums:rolleyes:

teermin8r
03-12-2004, 07:49 PM
I love Zappa. Any new Zappa will be appreciated and the no-brainer stuff is awesome. I do like his vocal stuff also. But some of it, I agree do not belong here, but on my iTunes it has a place. Hope you received Roxy and Elsewhere, some great musical pieces on that album. If you do have that Cheepnis needs to be included for fun.

QuantumJo
03-15-2004, 12:23 PM
I am happy to see all the new Eff Zee in the play list. An additional track that I would like to see added is Sexual Harassment In The Work Place.
Thanks,
QJ

Roger -Dot- Lee
03-16-2004, 12:52 AM
I'm of the personal belief that we need to be discerning as to which Zappa we put in. It's very easy to get into Zappa Overload (it's happened on other prog stations on the net), and too much of a good thing isn't always a good thing.

Definitely add the no-brainer stuff, but I'd say be very discriminating as to what's added.

One I would like to see would be "You can't do that on stage anymore, Vol II". I used to have that one, but lost it in a fire (with a good deal of my CD collection and all of my vinyl).

Just my $.02...

Roger

Extended Play
03-17-2004, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Roger Lee
One I would like to see would be "You can't do that on stage anymore, Vol II". I used to have that one, but lost it in a fire (with a good deal of my CD collection and all of my vinyl).

Can't believe I forgot to add YCDToSA II to my list of discs to do for Jim! Well, that's comin along too, coz I know you don't have it already . . .

btw, these are the albums I'm processing:

absoloutely free
chunga's revenge
piquantique
roxy and elsewhere
sleep dirt
zappa in new york
YCDToSA II - The Helsinki Tapes (1975, Roxy Band)

Tommy