PDA

View Full Version : Sedna

Yesspaz
03-16-2004, 06:21 PM
So, Avian. What's the deal with Sedna?

Avian
03-17-2004, 10:40 AM
"Sedna" (an unofficial name) is the largest object found so far outside Pluto. It's location is about 13 billion (thousand million for you Brits) kilometers away. This puts it outside the Kuiper Belt, a collection of icy rocks that goes out to around 50 AU or so. But it's also inside the inner boundary of the Oort Cloud, a theoretical sphere home to trillions of cometary bodies that's supposed to extend about halfway to the next star. Sedna has a huge, ellipical orbit around the sun. It's distance to the sun ranges from 11 billion km to 150 billion km. It takes 12,000 years to orbit the sun!

It's very large. They don't know the exact size yet, but it's smaller than Pluto - about half the size of our moon - somewhere between 1,200 to 1,700 km (Pluto is about 2400 km).

It's the largest object discovered since Pluto, which was discovered by Clyde Tombaugh in 1930.

It was discovered by a team looking for large objects in the outer part of the solar system. They are the same team that discovered "Quaoar" a few years ago (1,300 km across, and much closer).

Is it a planet? That topic is sure to be debated! Many scientists are holding Pluto as the standard minimum size for a planet - anything under would be a minor planet. But that's certainly arbitrary. The search continues!

Avian

moses
03-17-2004, 11:34 AM
How many other stations give you science lessons along with your prog rock?

:D

Avian
03-17-2004, 12:52 PM
I forgot to mention that an AU is an Astronomical Unit, based on the average distance between the Sun and Earth - about 150 million kilometers (93 million miles).

Avian

Rick and Roll
03-17-2004, 01:10 PM
Sedna was a Swedish prog band.

Or "Andes" spelled backwards?

Avian
03-17-2004, 01:35 PM
I guess Sedna is an Inuit goddess that lives under the ice or something - probably got the name from the same source!

If I discover a minor planet, I'm going to name it Mel.

Avian

Extended Play
03-17-2004, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Avian
I guess Sedna is an Inuit goddess that lives under the ice or something - probably got the name from the same source!

If I discover a minor planet, I'm going to name it Mel.

Avian

I always thought Bob would be a great name for some non-descript ice ball hurtling through space, but what do I know?

Hey, are we still playing StarDate or am I just not listening to the station enough?

Tommy

ivan_2068
03-17-2004, 08:11 PM
Sedna has a huge, ellipical orbit around the sun. It's distance to the sun ranges from 11 billion km to 150 billion km. It takes 12,000 years to orbit the sun!

I don't care what scientists believe, it's an object with an independant orbit around the sun (doesn't orbit around other object so it's not a satelite), it's not an asteroid, so despite the size it's a planet, a very small one but still a planet.

Iván

Yesspaz
03-17-2004, 11:26 PM
Haley's Comet orbits the sun, as does Hale-Bopp (or whatever it's called) - not planets...

KeithieW
03-18-2004, 02:49 AM
Sedna is the Inuit goddess of the oceans but it seems strange that they chose this name rather than another Roman or Greek diety. I would have liked them to use the name Bacchus (Roman god of wine and drinking) but then again I would!!!!

If I discover a minor planet I'd call it Eric. Well we have Eric the fish (he is an 'allibut), Eric the cat and Eric the half a bee so why not Eric the minor planet?

Rick and Roll
03-18-2004, 07:44 AM
Eric the Fruit Bat!

Extended Play
03-18-2004, 09:08 AM
An Halibut!

I've always been partial to Bob. It's a palindrome, and as such it's always fun to say! (plus, full of lucrative markting ideas as Bob, the littlest planet)

KeithieW
03-18-2004, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Extended Play
It's a palindrome, and as such it's always fun to say!

You want a palindrome? I'll point you to a palindrome!!!!!

Is this fun to say? :D

http://www.neuralintegrator.com/palindrome

Rick and Roll
03-18-2004, 11:18 AM
loves palindromes. He checked out a book once with short ones, but have funny pictures.

This one, while not repeating, is very non-sensical. Therefore, is it really useable?

It is funny, though!

And he spelled repetitive wrong in the introduction!

Am I taking this too seriously?:)

Only on AM can we go from celestial bodies to palindromes (although there are some celestial bodies that would be fun to go forwards and backward on) says he in his best Groucho Marx voice.

Avian
03-18-2004, 11:52 AM
There are many small bodies orbiting the sun - trillions of asteroid and comets. Some are big (many miles across), some small. None of them are considered planets, however.

Sedna is the suggested name. The IAU may indeed make teh name official in a future meeting. Many of the Roman and Greek names are already assigned. Plus, I think the IAU wants to be inclusive of more cultures in future naming of major bodies.

Naming guide:

Minor asteroids are named by usually honoring people, places, things and events. There are many living people who have an asteroid named after them by the IAU.

Major Asteroids (minor planets) have mythological names, as do planets and their major moons.

Comets are named after their discoverer(s). Hale-Bopp is Alan Hale and Tom Bopp, the latter of whom I just spent some time with, as he was just in town staying with my boss. Great guy. You'll also see comet names (like the ones coming up this spring) named after the research project that discovered them.

All of these objects also have catalog have less exciting catalog designations as well (e.g. 422).

Rick and Roll
03-18-2004, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Avian
Hale-Bopp is Alan Hale

The guy from Gilligan's Island?

Extended Play
03-18-2004, 12:59 PM
Whoa there little buddy!

Yesspaz
03-18-2004, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Keith Waye

You want a palindrome? I'll point you to a palindrome!!!!!

Is this fun to say? :D

http://www.neuralintegrator.com/palindrome

Tommy Shaw to that guy: "You've got too much (clap clap) time on your hands and it's ticking away with your sanity."

ivan_2068
03-18-2004, 07:51 PM
Haley's Comet orbits the sun, as does Hale-Bopp (or whatever it's called) - not planets...

Well Yesspaz, the orbit of a comet is absolutely different to the orbit of a planet, it's not heliocentic because it crosses the orbits of other planets, the orbit of a planet is almost perfectly heliocentric and independant to other plamets, unless something really catastrophic happens).

Of course the comets have other features that planets don't have like tail, nucleus, coma, etc.

Iván

Rick and Roll
03-18-2004, 08:37 PM
I'm a meat and potatoes guy, and I know only a little about this, but I do know Ivan's a lawyer and Yesspaz is an accomplished debater, so this is fun......

Maybe Avian can be the moderator.....

KeithieW
03-19-2004, 04:50 AM
Originally posted by ivan_2068

Well Yesspaz, the orbit of a comet is absolutely different to the orbit of a planet, it's not heliocentic because it crosses the orbits of other planets, the orbit of a planet is almost perfectly heliocentric and independant to other plamets, unless something really catastrophic happens).

Of course the comets have other features that planets don't have like tail, nucleus, coma, etc.

Iván

Pluto IS a planet and it's orbit crosses that of Neptune. I think that at the moment or at least until recently Neptune was the furthest planet from the sun.

moses
03-19-2004, 07:28 AM
Pluto IS a planet and it's orbit crosses that of Neptune.

Well, Gustav Holst crosses the orbit of Emerson, Lake and Powell, King Crimson, and possibly others.

:D

Rick and Roll
03-19-2004, 07:48 AM
Neptune's just weird, with the way it spins, etc. I think we should impeach Neptune.

And can we have a planet Goofy if we have a Pluto? Oh yeah, that's Earth.

Yesspaz
03-19-2004, 12:52 PM
There are many qualifications to make something a planet. Crossing orbits or not is not one of them (good call KW). The meteor belt between Mars and Jupiter fits that scenario, but thier not planets. All I'm saying is that there are many criteria. I don't know them all. While I think it'd be super-cool if Sedna is a planet, I think the scientists are correct to be cautious and wait and see for sure, doing more research.

Roger -Dot- Lee
03-19-2004, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Yesspaz
There are many qualifications to make something a planet. Crossing orbits or not is not one of them (good call KW). The meteor belt between Mars and Jupiter fits that scenario, but thier not planets. All I'm saying is that there are many criteria. I don't know them all. While I think it'd be super-cool if Sedna is a planet, I think the scientists are correct to be cautious and wait and see for sure, doing more research.

While I'm all for scientific prudence and all, my biggest question is: what's the difference? Is it going to affect anything at all if it's considered a planet or an Oort Cloud Object or perhaps Jimmy Hoffa's Final Resting Place? Will it affect the research that's done on it? Or will it just totally bugger up all the Astrological charts that have been drawn up for centuries?

If there's a sound scientific reason for it, I suppose it's OK (like they need MY permimssion :rolleyes: ) but it just strikes me as a whole lot of arm waving and histrionics for nothing.

Am I missing something?

Rick and Roll
03-19-2004, 08:24 PM
I'm sure it's important to the ones dealing with and classifying such things. Sort of like me trying to explain the difference between a Controller and a Comptroller.

I do agree about classifications - my #1 beef when discussing music................

Yesspaz
03-19-2004, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Roger Lee

my biggest question is: what's the difference?

I think the difference is that planets have a certain status that's different than other objects. Elementary school students learn the names of the nine planets. They don't learn about Oort Cloud objects or the dozens of comets. They don't learn the names of the asteroids or the names of the many moons. Planets have some sort of mystical ascribed status.

In other words, it's totally freaking cool to say, "We've got a tenth planet!" It's not so cool to say, "We've got a 35th Oort Cloud Object!"

ivan_2068
03-19-2004, 11:20 PM
Pluto IS a planet and it's orbit crosses that of Neptune

Agree Yesspaz didn't remembered Pluto's weird orbit, but at least is mostly heliocentric.

In other words, it's totally freaking cool to say, "We've got a tenth planet!" It's not so cool to say, "We've got a 35th Oort Cloud Object!"

Agree with that.

Iván

KeithieW
03-20-2004, 05:24 AM
when the minor planet Chiron was discovered between Saturn and Uranus. It was widely believed that this was either a dead comet ot the brightest of a group of asteroids between Saturn and Uranus. I sort of lost touch a bit on that one.

btw. It's got a bit confusing for the mildly dyslexic when they named Pluto's satellite Charon.

Yesspaz
03-20-2004, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Keith Waye
the minor planet Chiron was discovered between Saturn and Uranus

huh? man, how did I miss this one? Info Avian!

ivan_2068
03-20-2004, 02:46 PM
Chiron is a minor body discovered by Charles Kowal based on fotographs on 18 and 19 October 1977.

From the start it was almost certain it wasn't a planet or planetoid In 1988 a tail was observed, indicating was a comet bigger than anyone seen before.

Chiron, discovered in 1977, is an unusual object whose highly-elliptical, 50-year orbit around the sun brings it within the orbit of Saturn and as far out as the orbit of Uranus. It exhibits properties of both a comet (it has a coma) and an asteroid (it is as big as a large asteroid -- some 200 km in diameter -- much larger than the biggest known comet), so it has been designated as one of a class of objects known as Centaurs. These half-comet/half-asteroid objects were named after the mythical half-man/half-horse; Chiron is named after the wisest of the Centaurs. Several objects in this class have been discovered; they may be objects that have escaped from the Kuiper belt, the vast disk of cometary bodies beyond the orbit of Neptune. Chiron is designated alternately as Comet 95P/Chiron or minor planet (2060) Chiron.
http://pages.prodigy.net/pam.orman/joearticles/JoeArticle2.html

Iván

Avian
03-20-2004, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by ivan_2068

Iván

The orbits of most comets are most DEFINATELY heliocentric (they orbit the sun). The fact that their perihelion (closest approach to the sun) is inside the orbits of the other planets doesn't mean anything. Long period comets are in highly elliptical orbits, their periods being measured in many decades - some in millenia. Some comets eventually break up completely after repeated trips to the inner solar system, if they come in that far.

Some planets have very circular orbits like the earth, others are more elliptical, like Pluto (and certinaly Sedna).

More information about Chiron and the Centaur objects can be found here. (http://pages.prodigy.net/pam.orman/joearticles/JoeArticle2.html)