PDA

View Full Version : Lyrics.......

KeithieW
04-01-2004, 03:57 AM
VAXman's questions in the Trivia thread got me to thinking about lyrics again.

One of the best things about Prog (for me at any rate) is the fact that the lyrics CAN be very profound, moving and inspiring. It's not just a question of "I woke up this morning....." as in a lot of Blues songs or "My dog is dead and there's a blanket o the ground....." as in C&W (tongue firmly in cheek) :)

What lyrics have YOU found to be particularly good.

I'd have to say that the "Master of images, songs cast a light on you....." section of Yes' Awaken is pretty close to being perfect.

What say you people?????

zvinki
04-01-2004, 09:53 AM
Neil Peart's lyrics have consitently hit the mark with me. From his early science fiction themes to Ayn Rand to the more personal insights into relationships and people in general. Some outstanding examples are the social commentary of The Trees ("the Oaks can't help their feelings, if they like the way they're made"), the spectacular use of alliteration and the beauty of metaphors in "Jacob's Ladder" ("the shifting shafts of shining weave the fabric of their dreams") the ugliness of hate in "Witch Hunt" ("for those who know what's best for us must rise and save us from ourselves"), I even get a tear in my eye every time I hear "Sweet Miracle" knowing what he went through. I could go on and on but I'll give someone else a chance.

Rick and Roll
04-01-2004, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Keith Waye

I'd have to say that the "Master of images, songs cast a light on you....." section of Yes' Awaken is pretty close to being perfect.

Good to have one like that from Jon considering all of the goofy ones he comes up with "How can the wind with it's arms all around me" - do what Jon, you're missing a verb!!!

Seriously, on a dark note, "Fugazi" is full of great lyrics. The title cut is brilliant, "High fiber ignorance" "Satellite infested heavens" dark yet on the money. "Punch & Judy" is great statement about the stale relationship, "Incubus" is an unusual theme - but done exceptionally.

I'm a music first guy, but when a song tells a story about something you don't usually hear about, it's neat (and I'm usually messing up the content as I parse it anyway).

Another is Kate Bush's "Cloudbusting". She sings it from a perspective of a 10-year old boy (there's a stretch), whose father is kidnapped by an "Eastern" gov't because he has invented a rain machine. Read the lyrics sometime, they're very moving. Her use of the words "son" and "sun" interchangably is very clever.

But I like stupid lyrics if it's done in time with the music (like the Chili Peppers) - a favorite is Sabbath's "would you like to see the Pope at the end of a rope do you think he's a fool".

As Zvinki says, I'm sure there are say, thousands more.

Let's hear them!

Good thread, Keith.

Rick and Roll
04-01-2004, 12:27 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Keith Waye
[B]It's not just a question of "I woke up this morning....." as in a lot of Blues songs or "My dog is dead and there's a blanket o the ground....." as in C&W (tongue firmly in cheek) :)

Bonnie Raitt has a song that says "I can't make you love me if you don't". Kind of C&W, but it tears at your heart.

Yesspaz
04-01-2004, 03:00 PM
Roger Water's best lyrics ever are unquestionably from THE FINAL CUT. Here's two excerpts:

The Gunner's Dream:
a place to stay
enough to eat
somewhere old heroes shuffle safely down the street
where you can speak out loud
about your doubts and fears, and what's more-
no-one ever disappears
you never hear their standard issue kicking in your door
you can relax on both sides of the tracks
and maniacs don't blow holes in bandsmen by remote control
and everyone has recourse to the law
and no-one kills the children anymore
and no-one kills the children anymore

you put on your brave face and slip over the road for a jar
fixing your grin as you casually lean on the bar
laughing too loud at the rest of the world
with the boys in the crowd
you hide hide hide
behind petrified eyes

VAXman
04-03-2004, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Rick and Roll

Seriously, on a dark note, "Fugazi" is full of great lyrics. The title cut is brilliant, "High fiber ignorance" "Satellite infested heavens" dark yet on the money. "Punch & Judy" is great statement about the stale relationship, "Incubus" is an unusual theme - but done exceptionally.

As a Marillion fan, I like Fish lyrics but I often find myself thinking he swallowed and regirgitated Roget's Thesaurus. He did start to tone it down a bit by the time Misplaced Childhood and Clutching At Straws were penned.

Rick and Roll
04-03-2004, 12:01 PM
Although I don't mind simple words (see my post earlier), and lyrics really don't sway whether I like it, I like the Fugazi Fish because of the content. The greatness of Misplaced and Straws are the simplicity. Fish gets even more simple (and a bit more preachy) on his solo efforts.

An example of the Thesaurus issue is some of Iron Maiden's plagaristic stories.

Your comment also got me thinking about lyrics that are not that good. This may start a firestorm, but I find Spock's Beard lyrics (up to Snow) very run of the mill. I love the music, but the words are very ABC-like.

VAXman
04-03-2004, 12:33 PM
Although I don't mind simple words (see my post earlier), and lyrics really don't sway whether I like it, I like the Fugazi Fish because of the content. The greatness of Misplaced and Straws are the simplicity. Fish gets even more simple (and a bit more preachy) on his solo efforts.
Like Brother 52 and What Colour Is God? ;)

Nothing like hearing Fish rap. :eek:

Your comment also got me thinking about lyrics that are not that good. This may start a firestorm, but I find Spock's Beard lyrics (up to Snow) very run of the mill. I love the music, but the words are very ABC-like.
I like the early SB -- I'm especially fond of June for some reason whether it be the words or the music or the feeling it generates. The Doorway is another fav tune but now that I listen to its lyrics, I can hear Neal's early proselytizing.

If you want great lyrics in your prog, there's nothing like Keith Reid's lyrics in any Procol Harum song. :rolleyes:

Rick and Roll
04-03-2004, 03:27 PM
Those were some of the Fish tunes I was thinking about.

Doorway is my favorite SB tune - mostly because the song is written so well. The lyrics in that are very repetitive. June is a song right from the heart, I can see how that is affecting in the way. Walking on the Wind and Waste Away are another ones like that.

I was thinking more like "The Light". The catfish man and the senor stuff are just goofy (did you ever notice muscially in that tune you will hear Tarkus and 21st Century SM)?

VAXman
04-03-2004, 05:41 PM
Those were some of the Fish tunes I was thinking about.

Doorway is my favorite SB tune - mostly because the song is written so well. The lyrics in that are very repetitive. June is a song right from the heart, I can see how that is affecting in the way. Walking on the Wind and Waste Away are another ones like that.

I was thinking more like "The Light". The
catfish man and the senor stuff are just goofy (did you ever notice muscially in that tune you will hear Tarkus and 21st Century SM)?

I've said it before and I'll repear it again, Stravinsky was reported to have once said that a good composer borrows but a great composer steals!

I was just listening to another station because the moon is down. This station was playing Marillion's Easter. Marillion worked the John Lennon's "War is over" melody into the end of that song. Sometimes the images or emotions that a song or lyric elicits warrants the "theft".

Rick and Roll
04-03-2004, 08:08 PM
I only like a handful of Hogarth-era Marillion, not because of Hogarth, but because of the band losing their edge (but that's a Rosfest discussion:).

Easter was danced to at my wedding. An awesome tune.

VAXman
04-04-2004, 10:31 AM
I only like a handful of Hogarth-era Marillion, not because of Hogarth, but because of the band losing their edge (but that's a Rosfest discussion:). I don't care for their pure "rockers" -- Incommunicado Fish era and Hooks in You Hogarth era. The criticism that Hogarth made them commercial because of the content of the Holiday's In Eden album is wrong too. Pressure from the record company and trite bits resurrected from the Fish era are not Hogarth's fault! That too can be a ROSfest discussion. ;)

Easter was danced to at my wedding. An awesome tune. You're recently married then. My wife and I will see Marillion in London on our 18th wedding anniversary.

As for ROSfest... If you see somebody in the second row with a pony tail and wearing a T shirt with my avatar, that would likely be me. (Note. the propeller doesn't spin on the T shirt ;) )

Rick and Roll
04-04-2004, 12:09 PM
recent? Sure doesn't seem like it:eek:

I absolutely agree that it's not the singer that changed the band, it's the element of time and loss of ideas. He's just an excuse.

Michael
04-04-2004, 09:03 PM

Rick Fugazi use to be one of my Favorite Albums!!!But when it comes to Marillion there can be only 1 for me that i could play all day and that would be Script for a Jesters tear easy....

Michael
04-04-2004, 09:07 PM
I only like a handful of Hogarth-era Marillion, not because of Hogarth, but because of the band losing their edge (but that's a Rosfest discussion:).

Easter was danced to at my wedding. An awesome tune.
Brave would be one of my favorite H-era Albums....But i like Seasons End a bit to...

dying_serin
04-19-2004, 04:31 PM
I have to jump on the bandwagon here and say
I really enjoy Marillion's lyrics.

ivan_2068
04-23-2004, 12:10 AM
I go with early Genesis, Gabriel had the hability of telling long and complex stories that are interesting to listen and fot perfectly with the music.

Songs like The Musical Box, Fountain of Salmacis, The Return of the Giant Hogweed, Supper's Ready, Get 'em Out by Friday or White Mountain have amazing music and lyrics.

The way the band plays with the words and concepts of the Book of Revelation in Supper's Ready is incredible:

With the guards of Magog, swarming around,
The Pied Piper takes his children underground.
The Dragon's coming out of the sea,
with the shimmering silver head of wisdom looking at me.
He brings down the fire from the skies,
You can tell he's doing well, by the look in human eyes.
You'd better not compromise.
It won't be easy.

666 is no longer alone,
He's getting out the marrow in your back bone,
And the seven trumpets blowing sweet rock and roll,
Gonna blow right down inside your soul.
Pythagoras with the looking-glass, reflecting the full moon,
In blood, he's writing the lyrics of a brand new tune.

Iván

Yesspaz
04-23-2004, 01:52 PM
Appleseed Cast - Steps And Numbers
(from The Appleseed Cast - Messenger/Doors Lead to Questions/Steps and Numbers/Sentence/Bird of Paradise)

Aare you wishing on a star?
Did you know your dreams are sold
to people who dream only of gold?
They'll find a way to pull stars down...

Stand there... Dance with...
Stand there... Dance with a memory...
The caption reads, "It's all over now."
Do you feel alone in the secret?
Are you standing there just weeping?

Do you feel the light is gone?
Is it hard to remain strong
in the face of all you know?
in a world that's brought you low?

Stand there... Dance with...
Stand there... Dance with a memory...
The caption reads, "It's all over now."