PDA

View Full Version : All Tubular Bells to be removed

progdirjim
06-30-2004, 02:16 PM
To the person who's requesting Tubular Bells multiple times PER DAY:

I've reached my limit. I'm removing all Tubular Bells from the playlist.

Take that...:mad:

KeithieW
06-30-2004, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by progdirjim

Oh Jim........at least leave the original TB on there please. That was always the best one anyway.

VAXman
06-30-2004, 03:33 PM
To the person who's requesting Tubular Bells multiple times PER DAY:

Would this make enough room for the TD Logos which still hasn't made it to the playlist? :rolleyes:

Yesspaz
06-30-2004, 03:39 PM
Please NOOOO!

I'm not the culprit, but all five Tubular Bells are immaculate!!!

Once again I make my case for a "once-per-48-hour" limiter. 'Course, Roger.Lee will soon post about how impossible this would be to do...

progdirjim
06-30-2004, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by VAXman
Would this make enough room for the TD Logos which still hasn't made it to the playlist? :rolleyes:

you know, I just noticed that this never made it Vax. I swear I ripped it and uploaded it, but I don't see it on the playlist either. I'll re-do it shortly...

progdirjim
06-30-2004, 04:57 PM
alright, I'll give you all one last chance to behave with Tubular Bells.

the challenge is, I know you guys who responded aren't the ones requesting it twice a day, and I'm afraid Mr overrequestor isn't reading the forums. we'll see...

Yesspaz
06-30-2004, 06:21 PM
...Antiquity speaks from the Limpid Pool of Time:

"Perhaps after a song is played it couldn't play again for 48 hours...? This would also allow other songs to get airtime because they aren't crowded out..."

...Somewhere, a dog barks...

progdirjim
06-30-2004, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Yesspaz
...Antiquity speaks from the Limpid Pool of Time:

"Perhaps after a song is played it couldn't play again for 48 hours...? This would also allow other songs to get airtime because they aren't crowded out..."

...Somewhere, a dog barks...

this wouldn't help in this case, spaz, as we have 3 versions each of part 1 and part 2, so we could still hear some 23 minute version of tubular bells 3 times a day. and that's too many...

and someone is trying to tweak me - incantations played this afternoon...

Yesspaz
06-30-2004, 08:17 PM
this wouldn't help in this case, spaz, as we have 3 versions each of part 1 and part 2, so we could still hear some 23 minute version of tubular bells 3 times a day. and that's too many...

and someone is trying to tweak me - incantations played this afternoon...

Oh yes, I see. I forgot about the live version. Yeah, that sucks. You should play Tubular Bells 1, 2, 3, and the Millenium Bell back to back to back to back and kill us all!

Yeah, I saw Incantations play, and I thought to myself, somone did that on purpose! I almost requested The Wind Chimes but I thought better of it. You're really not a big fan of side-long Oldfield are you?

Ha! I guess this means you won't be adding Tubular Bells II as two parts nor adding The Songs of Distant Earth? And to think, I'm collecting up the rest of the Oldfield not on AM to donate :D (Millineum Bell, Guitars, Killing Fields, Platinum, etc...)

progdirjim
06-30-2004, 11:55 PM
Oh yes, I see. I forgot about the live version. Yeah, that sucks. You should play Tubular Bells 1, 2, 3, and the Millenium Bell back to back to back to back and kill us all!

Yeah, I saw Incantations play, and I thought to myself, somone did that on purpose! I almost requested The Wind Chimes but I thought better of it. You're really not a big fan of side-long Oldfield are you?

Ha! I guess this means you won't be adding Tubular Bells II as two parts nor adding The Songs of Distant Earth? And to think, I'm collecting up the rest of the Oldfield not on AM to donate :D (Millineum Bell, Guitars, Killing Fields, Platinum, etc...)

I like side long Oldfield, my problem with it is that there's a sameness to it, so after I hear any one side, I don't want to hear another for awhile. At least all the TBs, Incantations, Amarok, Ommadawn and Hergest Ridge. Although Hergest Ridge has a bit more of a folky sound to it I suppose.

I thought I added songs of distant earth - I'll get to that. I don't think I'm going to add TB2 as two parts; the breaks as they stand work pretty well IMO...

Yesspaz
07-01-2004, 12:03 AM
I thought I added songs of distant earth - I'll get to that.

Schweet!

I don't think I'm going to add TB2 as two parts; the breaks as they stand work pretty well IMO...
:( But it's so good as the whole piece he designed it to be...:( But your the boss, so "Aye aye, Capt."

VAXman
07-01-2004, 07:02 AM
you know, I just noticed that this never made it Vax. I swear I ripped it and uploaded it, but I don't see it on the playlist either. I'll re-do it shortly...

I've got a longer list! ;)

Rick and Roll
07-01-2004, 09:45 AM
I've been off of the forums due to the hacks so I'm glad I let this run for a bit...

1) You are correct Jim about the forum readers and the requestors. I'm not sure they know how it is annoying.

2) I can see someone with "Incantations"...that's pretty funny!

3) Your promise to keep them aroung if "we are good" will not work if the message isn't reaching the offending party.

4) Should we call you Dr. Jim? You had our tubular bells tied!

progdirjim
07-01-2004, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Rick and Roll

4) Should we call you Dr. Jim? You had our tubular bells tied!

I've always preached safe sets...:rolleyes:

progdirjim
07-01-2004, 10:07 AM
I've got a longer list! ;)

is there other stuff you donated that I haven't added? Do tell if so...

VAXman
07-01-2004, 12:56 PM
is there other stuff you donated that I haven't added? Do tell if so...

Everything I have sent and or will send is maintained at:

http://www.tmesis.com/am_cds.txt

This contains the following information:
Date Sent
Tracking Number
Contents of Shipment (CD Titles)
Status on the Moon

Yesspaz
07-01-2004, 01:22 PM
I've always preached safe sets...:rolleyes:
That's one of the funniest things I have ever read.

Yesspaz
07-01-2004, 01:38 PM

Date Sent
Tracking Number
Status on the Moon

Wow, that's even more OCD than ME!

I keep up with that exact same info in a Word.doc on my computer, but not on a site where Jim can look at it!!! That's freaking awesome! This is the funniest thread I've ever read!

Roger -Dot- Lee
07-01-2004, 05:52 PM
Please NOOOO!

I'm not the culprit, but all five Tubular Bells are immaculate!!!

Once again I make my case for a "once-per-48-hour" limiter. 'Course, Roger.Lee will soon post about how impossible this would be to do...

Actually, not only would it be possible, but quite easy.

But I ain't gunna be the one to do it. That's Avian's call. And I think it'd be a shame. 24 hours, maybe. 48? I'm not so sure.

And Jim: I THINK (don't know for sure) that we can set it up based on artist as well as title, so it's 1 oldfield per day and that's it. Or something.

Of course, we couldn't granulate it to an individual artist, so if it's one Oldfield, it's one Genesis and one GY!BE, and one Alan Parsons, etc. etc.

It's one of the drawbacks of running a station that allows RQs....

Roger -Dot- Lee

Yesspaz
07-01-2004, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Roger Lee
I THINK (don't know for sure) that we can set it up based on artist as well as title
Hmm..., I think that's quite extreme. I think limiting a song to once a day is a good idea, but not one play per artist. For instance "ShutDOWN" by OSI is about to play for the second time today. 24 hours may be better than 48. However, putting a 48 hour window between songs will keep us from hearing Rome and I am the Sun (Part One) every day.

And I think a solution to the Oldfield thing would be to delete Tubular Bells Live and Tubular Bells 2003, which is simply a digital remake of the analog original (but it's nice in its own right, and has John Cleese announcing the instruments instead of Oldy).

Again, hypothetically, if someone were to request ShutDOWN, and someone else requested ShutDOWN ten minutes later, they wouldn't have to wait 24 or 48 hours to hear their request. They'd instead get a message saying "Song played in last 24 (48) hours. Please request another song" and they'd still get to request again.

VAXman
07-01-2004, 08:23 PM
Wow, that's even more OCD than ME!

I keep up with that exact same info in a Word.doc on my computer, but not on a site where Jim can look at it!!! That's freaking awesome! This is the funniest thread I've ever read!

You're the funniest thread I ever read.

progdirjim
07-02-2004, 12:45 AM
Tubular Bells 2003, which is simply a digital remake of the analog original (but it's nice in its own right, and has John Cleese announcing the instruments instead of Oldy).

Actually, it's not Oldy announcing on the original, it's Vic Stanshall.

Maybe I should have made that a quiz question...

Yesspaz
07-02-2004, 01:57 AM
Well, I'd have missed it.

So, it's Vic Stanshall on the original, Alan Rickman on TBII, and John Cleese on TB 2003. Well, now we all know.

Roger -Dot- Lee
07-02-2004, 02:39 AM
Well, I'd have missed it.

So, it's Vic Stanshall on the original, Alan Rickman on TBII, and John Cleese on TB 2003. Well, now we all know.

You and me both, Spaz. I thought it was Oldy myself.

KeithieW
07-02-2004, 03:24 AM
Actually, it's not Oldy announcing on the original, it's Vic Stanshall.

Actually it's VIV Stanshall........of the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band.

A much loved and much missed English fruitcake.

If you've never heard the Bonzos I'd suggest you take a listen. Great songs, great humour and wonderful English eccentricity.

(I know...If I'm going to split hairs I can P**s off :D )

KeithieW
07-02-2004, 05:07 AM
2nd July 2004 11:05am and Tubular Bells part 1 is on again!!!!

Someones 'avin' a laaaarrrrffff!!!!!

Rick and Roll
07-02-2004, 08:01 AM
I would have just read the liner notes.......

love the Brits, they have the guts to name their men Viv.

That bit of trivia reminds me of a rock and roll trivia game I used to play with my sister - hated the game it was full of mistakes (like "Arrowsmith"). There was a question where they wanted to know who did the cover painting on the Tull "Stormwatch" cover. So I went in and got the record and answered the question.

What a weak game that was.....

roger
07-02-2004, 10:12 AM
Bonzo Dog(and Monty Python) fans should go here:
Bonzo Dog video (http://orangecow.org/pythonet/video2.html)

enjoy! :D

progdirjim
07-02-2004, 11:45 AM

Date Sent
Tracking Number
Status on the Moon

Is Dream Sequence the "greatest hits" collection of TD tracks? If so, I added that but I listed the album as the originating album rather than "Dream Sequence"

Mastermind "Live in Tokyo" is another that I noticed didn't make it although I ripped and uploaded it. I'll re-do that with Logos...

VAXman
07-02-2004, 11:59 AM
Is Dream Sequence the "greatest hits" collection of TD tracks? If so, I added that but I listed the album as the originating album rather than "Dream Sequence"

Mastermind "Live in Tokyo" is another that I noticed didn't make it although I ripped and uploaded it. I'll re-do that with Logos...

Re TD.

I wouldn't call it "greatest hits" but there are editted versions of some rather longer (album side) bits. How does using the original album work in cases of things like Force Majeure? FM, for example, is on the moon and the DS CD has and editted down version.

Re MM.

Rich Berends gave me his own very last copy of that very limited pressing CD. It would be a shame not to be able to play/request it.

Re... ;-12

In the future, however, I'll refrain from keeping track as I've been told it is OCD (anal). Perhaps I should reconsider my altruism altogether.

Rick and Roll
07-02-2004, 01:10 PM
we go off on tangents (was this an Oldfield thread?). But it's fun.......

1) Hell, give the Mastermind to me. tell Rich I met him for 15 minutes once at Orion......... in 1998 :p

2) What's -12?

3) Vax and Spaz, I am more anal than both of you hemmorhoids combined....

4) Vax - I consider your Izz donations great. That's a prog band with pop sensibilities that is needed here. Please don't reconsider your altruism. However if you want to reconsider your face

:p :p (sorry Vax I had to);) ;) :eek: :)

Yesspaz
07-02-2004, 02:39 PM

Ha! Ha ha ha. I'm literally laughing out loud!

progdirjim
07-02-2004, 03:43 PM
Re TD.

I wouldn't call it "greatest hits" but there are editted versions of some rather longer (album side) bits. How does using the original album work in cases of things like Force Majeure? FM, for example, is on the moon and the DS CD has and editted down version.

I decided that since we had the side long version we didn't need the edited version, but I'll happily reconsider if people are interested in the shorter versions. Me, I'd rather hear the long version. Comments?

Re MM.

Rich Berends gave me his own very last copy of that very limited pressing CD. It would be a shame not to be able to play/request it.

Maybe I wasn't clear - I will DEFINITELY add "Live in Tokyo." I already ripped it and uploaded it to the station, but somehow it got lost. I will remedy that ASAP...

Re... ;-12

In the future, however, I'll refrain from keeping track as I've been told it is OCD (anal). Perhaps I should reconsider my altruism altogether.
I don't know what -12 refers to, but I hope you didn't think I had anything negative to say about your altruism or your keeping track. If I had said anything negative, I would apologize...

Yesspaz
07-02-2004, 04:14 PM

NOOOO! VAXman, I was saying that in fun. I'm not criticising you about keeping track. I keep track too. I just don't have a website where I keep track. I have a MSWord doc where I do and occasionally send Jim an email like, "So, have you decided on Neal Schon's "Beyond the Thunder" yet? What about King Black Acid's "The Mothman Prophecies Soundtrack?" Don't reconsider your altruism. It's the altruism of you and I and others that help grow this library. Avian and Jim only have some much cd money, I only have so much, and you only have so much. But when we pool it!!!

Sorry about ticking you off there. I forget sometimes that sarcasm doesn't come off as well in written form. :)

Yesspaz
07-02-2004, 04:17 PM
I decided that since we had the side long version we didn't need the edited version, but I'll happily reconsider if people are interested in the shorter versions. Me, I'd rather hear the long version. Comments?
Don't waste valuable disc space on edits. I always like long versions better. I have the single edits of some Yesstuff - horrible. My vote is keep the long ones, jettison the edits.

Roger -Dot- Lee
07-02-2004, 05:18 PM
we go off on tangents (was this an Oldfield thread?). But it's fun.......

don't we though?

Having been the victim of said anality, I must agree, wholeheartedly, with this statement. In fact, I think I can state, from a quite authoritative position, that you are one of the MOST anal people I've ever met.

Just TRY letting a typo get into the list. Hoo boy...

Rick and Roll
07-02-2004, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by Roger Lee
from a quite authoritative position

that sounds like fun big fella................

Just TRY letting a typo get into the list. Hoo boy...

Except for "anality" which if it isn't a word should be one, the post was free of errors! Well done!

Roger -Dot- Lee
07-02-2004, 10:20 PM
Except for "anality" which if it isn't a word should be one, the post was free of errors! Well done!

I agree. Anality SHOULD be a word, and any self respecting dictionary should have it immediately added.

:D

Roger -Dot- Lee, who, incidentally views any dictionary that does not have 'fist' as a verb to be deficient.

mossy
07-02-2004, 10:32 PM
And whilst we are "piling" it on, Rick....

Hemorrhoids...one "m", not two.

:cool:

mossy
07-02-2004, 10:35 PM
and two "r's", not one.

just before you point that out ;)

m

Rick and Roll
07-02-2004, 10:56 PM
you should know?:)

Just kidding....

I can take it...keep on piling!:cool:

fonzy
07-09-2004, 04:30 AM
Please do concentrate on the long versions on tracks like TD and others. That's how theese pieces were made to be heard.

I agree with YS The Yes edits that are on thier reissues are realy useless.
(How many typos .-))

prythm
07-20-2004, 09:26 AM
I suggest perhaps in the live request there should be a request etiquette link. This link should be forced on new people during sign up. When I was an AM virgin it took awhile for me to learn to sit back and let the pro progsters choose the playlists. The link should also display a dynamic (sorry avian) table of the most frequently played tunes, and prompt to avoid requesting them.

Personally, I mean no diss but please stop playing the new Flower Kings every day.

Rick and Roll
07-20-2004, 09:46 AM
i listen infrequently and have heard a only a bit of the FK, but too much of anything is too much for me.....

trust me the "virgins" should request as much as the "pro progsters". Hey we're not getting paid for it, so nobody's pro:D

Now all of this talk about virgins has me non-plussed...

progdirjim
07-20-2004, 03:50 PM
well I have the BRAND SPANKING NEW Flower Kings CD in my greedy little hands, and will be adding that shortly. Perhaps that will divert some interest...

Adam and Eve is the title and I'm not sure if it's available to the general public yet...

prythm
07-20-2004, 04:07 PM
I have the BRAND SPANKING NEW Flower Kings CD ... and will be adding that shortly

cool. You're the man.:cool:

Yesspaz
07-20-2004, 05:22 PM
and I'm not sure if it's available to the general public yet...
Promo copies... oooooh..., Yesspaz lusts for The Power... :(