PDA

View Full Version : Lana Lane

progdirjim
10-02-2001, 12:55 PM
In the vocalist thread, someone or two gave a thumbs up for Lana Lane. Really? I was going to try to convince Avian to remove a lot of her stuff. What do you guys think?

10-02-2001, 01:30 PM
This is a very early April Fool's joke I take it.

Amazing stuff. As a reminder of how good I have just requested
Speed of Sound (Quick - head for the volume control - UP !!!)

If you want to convince Avian to delete something. Try the bulk of
the Y's. Their live stuff comes over at my end worse than the very worst of my pretty dodgy concert bootleg tapes.

A B S O L U T E L Y P O O R quality on ALL Yes LIVE tracks.

Sounds to me like they were recorded about 200 rows back with a
mono tape recorder stuffed inside a pocket and covered with 5 overcoats. Makes for pretty grim listening.

But on Lana Lane - Keep Please.

Powerslave
10-02-2001, 04:07 PM
I do like Lana Lane, as she was one of the first artists I encountered after finding AM. She probably represents the best female vocalist I've found so far on AM, but there are many other females I like even more. One of my new favorite albums is "Into The Electric Castle" by Ayreon. The two women featured on that album, Sharon den Adel and Anneke von Giersbergen, are even better than Lane, IMO. At least, they are on that album, especially den Adel. Unfortunately, she's a member of Within Temptation, which is one band we will never hear on AM, since they're a beauty-and-beast prog metal group (beauty-and-beast meaning a female vocalist and a male vocalist who usually growls). The same is true for another great female vocalist, Christina, the lead singer of Lacuna Coil, an Italian prog metal band, who is even better than Lane too. I would suggest Lacuna Coil to anyone looking for something new in prog metal.

BTW, if anyone knows anything more about Within Temptation and/or Anneke von Gierbergen (like her other bands), post a message, please.

Lost Dreams
10-04-2001, 01:02 PM
Make no mistake about it. She's got some of the greatest pipes IN the progressive area right now. I say leave her on Aural Moon. That's where I got to really listen to her stuff and actually buy some. Her live version of In The Court Of The Crimson King... is outstanding (with a nod to In The Hall Of The Mountain King). I love her stuff. It's not all prog metal either.

That's my opinion. :)