PDA

View Full Version : en passant

VAXman
08-18-2004, 11:36 AM
I wanted to start a thread to thank Avian for the wonderful thing that he has endeavored to create in Aural Moon. I, for one, have not strayed from the AuralMoon since I first found it in my iTunes. It truly is, as the quote on the main page of AuralMoon.com says, "...what radio should be and it is what radio once was..."

I am sure that Avian took a long and difficult look at this decision. As the closing lyric from my favorite Marillion album goes:

"Icarus would know
A mountain isn't far to fall

When you've fallen
When you've fallen from the moon"

Thank you Avian.

Yesspaz
08-18-2004, 11:52 AM
"I'll see you when we're both not so emotional."

-American Football

Roger -Dot- Lee
08-18-2004, 04:18 PM
Auralmoon has always been more than just a Prog Rock station. The user base that has been built over time is, in my opinion, just as important as the music base that's been developed over the years. Separately, they're both very good in their own right, but together, they make an unbeatable combination that drew me to Aural Moon from the first time I spotted it in iTunes. The music kept me here initially, but as time wore on, I got to know the folks who inhabited the shoutbox (and subsequently, after installing Netscape(TM), the white room), and Aural Moon became a much more significant portion of what I chose to call my life. Getting to know KW, JF, Woj, and the rest of the Morning Faffers, flirting with the ladies, getting into debates...none of which would be possible were it not for El Queso Grande.

Then, over idle chitchat in white, they gave me the chance to help out. Initially, I was supposed to do a show on all the new stuff that came in, but considering the fact that I couldn't make decent sound out of my Mac (a feat in and of itself), it never really got off the ground. But I started offering my help around the station -- helping get music updated quicker, assisting with things like the Gagliarchives, maintaining the database, and the like. I started feeling like I was making a difference.

Then came The Move, and, after weeks of copying and hacking and probing and trying to figure out what was supposed to go where and why, we finally got off of HostRocket and on a REAL site. I learned a lot, was able to give the proverbial bird to an organization that truly deserves it, and give our business to a different organization that equally deserves IT.

(Aside: anyone else notice the distinct similarities, not only in name but functionailty and class of service between HostRocket and Human Resources? Maybe it's just me).

Anyway, I'm tickled pink that Avian and Jim have shown enough faith in my leet hacking ability to look to me for technical assistance. Maybe all those years puttering with Linux paid off afterall! :D

I'll miss you, Avian. Don't be a stranger, or I'll find you, take a picture of you and some of your horses, install photoshop, and let the imaginations of the assembled readers fill in the rest of the blanks. [grin]

Thanks, boss. You created one hell of a concept. It's more than a site to a LOT of people, myself included.

Oh, and you remember when I told you I was "promoting myself" to assistant station manager? I didn't mean for you to take me SERIOUSLY!!!! :D

Roger -Dot- Lee, wondering how quickly someone will pick up the title reference.

Bob Lentil
08-18-2004, 10:48 PM
And I was expecting a heated debate about chess rules. . .

Thanks for all the hard work Avian.

Wojtek
08-19-2004, 04:46 AM
If not you and your work, such fantastic, understanding each other group of progfans and real friends would never be honoured to be, listen, faff, attend an over 25-hour party, discuss, laugh, cry.
THANK YOU AVIAN!!!

I'd like to say 'thank you' and 'bye' to the station owner but also say 'hi again' to the DJ and great guy from the chat room crew. I truly believe this is only the next chapter...

KeithieW
08-19-2004, 04:48 AM
Davin,

I want to thank you for forming what has become a HUGE part of my life.

When I found Aural Moon I was still working and used to log on and request tracks even though I couldn't listen to them at work. After my redundancy I bought a PC and the first thing I logged into was The Moon.

After a while the shoutbox appeared and all heaven broke loose. Regulars started posting. Rick and Roll, poda, Steady Stan, mossy, Spaz...... it grew and grew and the first thing I did (and still do) when I get up is to check who's on.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; the people at Aural Moon are my extended and much loved family.

That feeling is down to YOU Davin for getting the whole thing going.

I'm sorry you're "leaving" but know that the family will be in good hands with Jim and the Dotty one.

Don't be a stranger and I wish you much love and best wishes for the future.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

roger
08-19-2004, 06:40 AM
thank you, Avian.

thank you for letting me know that I wasn't alone in loving this music.

Rick and Roll
08-19-2004, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by Bob Lentil
And I was expecting a heated debate about chess rules. . .

that's funny!

wow two threads about this, you rate!

The little I actually chatted with you directly leaves me a void in the knowledge I could have gained.

What little I know about your musical tastes (save for the ambient stuff) I really like. Your inclusiveness is refreshing.

Since you're a starman, I'll quote Casey Kasem: "Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars".

Never did see a picture....

mossy
08-19-2004, 09:51 AM
oooo another thread!

I wrote on the other but wanted to say again how there is no place like this place. period. We even argue intelligently.

Hard to put your finger on why the Moon is as it is. I'm just happy and grateful.

Thank you Avian. Wishing you every good thing, always.

lotus
08-20-2004, 04:03 PM
This is just to thank you Avian for founding this station and running it for so long.

When I first discovered it googling around, I found myself back in my history so many years ago, when this music was part of my life. Thanks to this station, I discovered real PR back, making it again to an essential ingredient of life for feeling good.

And faffing around with all people having at least one common interest (PR) is wonderfull, because there is always a common base.

I am sure, that the station will continue in the same spririt and wish all the best for the future to all people involved, including us listeners.

RogorMortis
08-22-2004, 08:21 AM
When we have digested the news that Avian is about to leave us comes the question of when is the farewell party. Avian you can't just go without throwing a 24 hour farewell faff. Yuo must go with a bang!!!!

Don't forget there will be a hole to fill up afterwards.

I will join in the rest and thanking you in inventing something that has had more influence on me than I will admit. Finding a place where I found music that I didn't know existed as I thought prog was dissappearing and at the same time meeting people with the same interest. Actually looking forward to logging on.

But the chat program has to be sorted out.

Thanks Avian. I wil end with these words from Camel -

Nothing can last
there are no second chances.
Never give a day away.
Always live for today.

lotus
08-22-2004, 03:32 PM
I fully agree with Rogor. Just this 24 hour faff should be acompanied by 24 hour "interstellar music" by DJ Avian.

(According to the chat, same opinion as Rogor, as I am writing this post in the time to connect again to chat 'cause I was thrown out...)

Artemis
08-23-2004, 11:01 AM
Just wanted to express my appreciation for all the hard work you have done with this station. Providing a forum to share and express your thoughts and feelings with others. To listen to a wide variety of music. A gathering place for thoses of like minds from all over the world to talk, listen and learn.

Good luck and Best Wishes, we know that you will be around.

Yesspaz
08-23-2004, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by lotus
24 hour "interstellar music" by DJ Avian.
This... must... happen.

QuantumJo
08-24-2004, 10:23 AM
Thanks for all that you have done to bring the gift of music to all of us. I would also like to thank you for the community of people that has been brought together as a result of the Aural Moon. I have made many new friends and had lots of laughs with many more to come. Best of wishes in all your endeavors. See you in the chat and looking foward to your show.

PS 24 Hrs. Faff.......You bet:D

jnighting
08-25-2004, 09:00 PM
Having been away from the Moon for a while, I was a bit saddened to see that Avian was taking flight. However, I understand the need to move on in life all to well. As with the other posts I need to thank Avian for the continued excellent music that Aural Moon has provided to all of us Prog lovers. Even though I have been a member less than a year, I have listened to the Moon for a long time. It has never failed to get me through a long day of work or lifted my spirits in times when I was feeling down. I have discovered many new artists here that I never would have even heard of if it weren't for the Moon. However, more importantly to me, I have "met" some wonderful people from all over the world who I consider my "net" family and for that Avian, I am eternally grateful. I wish you good luck in your future endeavours and nothing but the best in your life. I know that the Moon is being left in good hands but your presence will be missed I am sure.
Again, thank you Avian for making this world just a little bit brighter with the Moon.