PDA

View Full Version : Hello all!

lenron
10-05-2004, 08:36 AM
I am new here, and wanted to say "Hello" to all the AM forum people. Anything I should know upfront about the goings on here? :) I hope I can gain much from such an great forum of such an phenomenal subject - prog!

Hope I am welcome! :)

NINO

zvinki
10-05-2004, 08:48 AM
You are most welcome lenron. You'll find that we are a great bunch of passionate and knowledgeable prog freaks from all over the world. Join us in the shout box or chat room to share your ideas with us.

By the way, I am listening to Drop Trio while typing this. I must admit that I am enjoying it. Jim, the boss here, will probably give them a listen and, from what I hear, will add them.

lenron
10-05-2004, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome. Glad to be here!

Glad you enjoy Drop Trio. When you can get their new album, LEAP, do so! I think you will enjoy it very very much. :)

NINO

KeithieW
10-05-2004, 10:32 AM
Hi lenron,

Hope you come back often and post frequently. If there's anything you want to discuss start a thread and sit back. There are a ton of opinions here.

Welcome! and enjoy the ride.

lenron
10-05-2004, 11:18 AM
Well, perhaps we "go around the room" and maybe you all can clue me in on what sort of "prog" music you all listen to? Or rather, to keep lists shorter, how about a Top 10, if you will?

On my end, I am first and foremost a King Crimson devotee. Fripp & Co. pretty much would riddle my Top 10 if I didn't expand a little, so I'll try to list some of their records that are my faves as well as other artists I like:

KC - Discipline (duh)
KC - Court Of The Crimson King (duh again)
KC - THRaK (underappreciated, but very very good)
KC - THRaKaTTaK (not an everyday listening record, but shockingly brilliant)
Rush - Moving Pictures (duh)
Rush - Hemispheres
Rush - Presto
Rush - Vapor Trails (I admit I have not heard much of this, but I like it)
Primus - Seas Of Cheese (duh)
Primus - Antipop (underappreciated, but great)
Primus - Pork Soda (classic)
Pink Floyd - Meddle
Pink Floyd - Piper Gates Of Dawn
Pink Floyd - Dark Side (duh)
13th Floor Elevators - all of it
Frog Brigade - all of it
Grass - small time local band from Austin Texas. Awesome.
Drop Trio - Leap (prog/funk/jazz studio improvisations)
Drop Trio - Big Dipper
MMW - Uninvisible
MMW - Shackman

Ooops way more than 10. No worries, screw the 10 limit. You all let me know your listening selections!!

Bob Lentil
10-05-2004, 11:36 AM
Here is a list of artists you'll find me listening to quite often:

Rush
King's X
The Jelly Jam
Kansas
Led Zeppelin
Yes
King Crimson
Dream Theater
Galactic Cowboys
Porcupine Tree
Queensryche
Serene
Nickel Creek

(Try to pick the one that doesn't belong.)

Rick and Roll
10-05-2004, 11:50 AM
nice to hear from you.....

I'll be looking for the drop trio :)

check out my little section of the forums for my likes.

lenron
10-05-2004, 12:40 PM
Some fine selections I am reading. Seems I have a found a haven of music fans I can relate to. However, I will say this blasphemous comment though I know it usually brings me scorn and occasional damnation from prog fans:

I don't like Dream Theater. At all.

I can appreciate a brilliant musician(s) without liking their music. DT being the prime example of that in my life. Perhaps you all DT fans can help me by explaining your zeal for them? Everything I have heard has not moved me, and leaves me a little blah.

Comments?

Rick and Roll
10-05-2004, 01:13 PM
Please help lenron to find the Dream Theater posts.....there are hundreds.

Actually you are in the majority.

Let's see if we can keep this a Dream Theater-free thread!!!!!

Come on Moonies I know you do it....links only please!:D

lenron
10-05-2004, 01:20 PM
Alas, this thread has been DT'd already. Perhaps next thread I can avoid DT altogther. :)

A few of you mentioned Drop Trio. If you go to www.droptrio.com you can hear their live shows for free. Well, 2 of them. There hundreds on catalog, soon to be released on a double CD set of "Drop Trio Live" sometime in 2005. I like this track, particularly, from January 2004:

http://www.droptrio.com/Music/sets/rhythmroom_01-31-04/DropTrio_08_Martini.mp3

Enjoy!!

NINO

Roger -Dot- Lee
10-05-2004, 07:58 PM
Welcome to the Madhouse, Lenron. My name is Roger -Dot- Lee, and I'm in charge of things that go "CLANK" when you drop them. My tastes in prog have expanded immensely since I found The Moon back last January. I tend to lean more toward the symphonic and classic prog (Yes, IQ, Martin Orford, Marillion, etc).

I guess I can't say I have a 'top ten' per se, since my favorites change on a daily basis, it seems.

Stick around. You'll hear some cool tunes and maybe learn a thing or three. I know I have.

Roger -Dot- Lee