PDA

View Full Version : Belated Birthday wishes......

KeithieW
10-29-2004, 04:06 AM
I hope you will all join me in wishing belated 60th birthday wishes to the one and only Jon Anderson.

October 25, 1944
John Roy Anderson was born in Accrington, Lancashire, England to Albert and Kathleen Anderson. (Of course, later in life he will drop the "h" in his first name.)

1944-1959
Jon attends St. John's Infants School in Accrington. Teachers remember him as a happy, bright student.

Jon's first "band" is "Little John's Skiffle Group". At the age of 10, Jon plays the washboard!

Jon leaves school at age 15 to help support his family by working as a farm hand.

Jon works as a lorry driver. He delivers bricks, and has a milk route for a while. As he drives, he listens to music that will influence his future artistry: Elvis Presley, Eddie Cochran, The Everly Brothers, and others.

Jon joins The Warriors (sometimes called The Electric Warriors), his first band, where he shares lead vocal duties with his brother Tony. Other members of the band are: Michael Brereton-Lead Guitar, Rodney Hill-Rhythm Guitar, David Foster-Bass, and Ian Wallace-Drums*.

* Ian Wallace would later play for King Crimson, Bob Dylan, and in countless studio sessions.

The Warriors perform shows around the North of England which include The Cavern Club in Liverpool, birthplace of Beatlemania.

The Warriors release two singles for the Decca label: "You Came Along" and "Don't Make Me Blue"

Jon quits The Warriors as the band is gigging in Germany.

Spring 1968
Jon releases two singles under the name "Hans Christian" titled "Never My Love" (a remake of The Association's 1967 hit) and "The Autobiography Of Mississippi Hobo"

Early Summer 1968
Jon joins The Gun for a short-lived stint as their singer. He performs only one gig with them.

Jon is introduced to bassist Chris Squire by mutual friend Jack Berry at the La Chasse club in London. The two hit it off, and Jon joins Chris's group, Mabel Greer's Toyshop which also includes guitarist Peter Banks.

Mid-Summer 1968
Yes is formed by Anderson, Squire, Banks, drummer Bill Bruford and keyboardist Tony Kaye. The band begins rehearsals.

August 4, 1968
Yes play their first show ever at East Mersey Youth Camp, Essex.

The rest, as they say, is history

A big thank you from me personally to, probably, the most inspirational man I have EVER met.

podakayne
11-15-2004, 09:25 PM
but i could be wrong...yeah i think i did and it was to be presented to him...i hope i did (must be getting on myself):rolleyes:

:D

YES a cornerstone of progressive rock, jon anderson a diamond.

progdirjim
11-16-2004, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Keith Waye

He delivers bricks.

I didn't know he had solo albums from that long ago!:D

(sorry Keith, I can't seem to resist making fun of Jon when you're around...)

KeithieW
11-16-2004, 06:48 PM
I'd feel odd if you didn't Jim. :D

You can't take away the feeling I had meeting him though.