3. Yes
4. Pink Floyd
5. Yes
6. King Crimson
7. Yes
8. Jon Anderson
9. Transatlantic
10 Spock's Beard

to nominate a band for this list, just request them 85 times a day.
;)

Avian
11-02-2001, 02:31 PM
Uhoh - you've done it now, people. You've driven Jim to the brink of insanity. I actually saw him stop a Yes song midstream - Yes it got that bad!

Please do your part to contribute to the Retain Jim's Sanity fund by NOT requesting the above 10 bands over and over again. Request something that's new to you - or something you have no idea what it is. We do get tired of deleting these requests, to provide more variety on the station.

Do your part!

Avian
11-02-2001, 02:32 PM
Oh, by the way, I think you forgot Cairo!

Avian

Lost Dreams
11-04-2001, 09:04 AM
Hey now. I like Cairo. I don't request them, because I've got all their cds. The most recent one is awful, imo, but I've got it. Given that I like Cairo's first 2 cds and I like Crucible, Spock's Beard, TransAtlantic and *coughDreamTheatercough*, could you suggest something for me to request? I should add that I'd rather be set on fire than listen to Gentle Giant. Suggest away please. Anyone? e-mail me if you'd like.

progdirjim
11-05-2001, 01:12 AM
Cairo's fine, except somebody(s) requesting the song "Underground" every day, and I think most of the rest of what we have on AM is better than that song. Crucible is also fine. Most of Spock's Beard/Transatlantic (same band, IMO) is fine, but the 20+ minute songs (mainly "At The End Of The Day" and "All Of The Above") are weak and over-requested.

Based on what you've said you like, try Metaphor, Pendragon, FM, Glass Hammer, Banco del Mutuo Succorso, Premiata Forneria Marconi, Underground Railroad, and the Nice.

Avian
11-05-2001, 10:00 AM
Happened again today! Is this listener really that crazy for the song?

Powerslave
11-06-2001, 08:55 AM
I see you like both prog metal and the less heavier stuff as well, you should try Ayreon. IMO, "Into the Electric Castle" is the best prog album of the 90's. His follow-ups, "The Universal Migrator" (2 parts on 2 separate albums) are also very excellent. The first one is more subdued, with a lot of emphasis on the vocal styles of Lana Lane, Neal Morse, and the other guests. The second disc kicks into high gear and seriously rocks hard. Guest vocals by the lead singers of Stratovarius, Iron Maiden, Helloween, and others are more suited to the prog metal crowd. I firmly believe there's something for everyone when it comes to Ayreon. AM has most of the music on these albums on the playlist. Anything you can't find here, you can find on the Prog2K radio station.

progdirjim
11-06-2001, 11:42 AM
Other stuff we have that's closer to the metal side is Arena and Hamadryad.

Neither of these is prog-metal, but they have some of those leanings.

Enjoy!

kmack
11-11-2001, 11:25 PM
Progressive rock IS Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd and ELP (Surprised ELP was not on your list). Everything else is just filler time.

progdirjim
11-13-2001, 11:51 AM
ELP isn't over requested, the other three bands are. Worse yet is that it tends to be the same handful of songs from these bands. There is a lot of GREAT progressive rock out there besides Yes, Genesis, and Pink Floyd, a lot of which is better than much of the afore-mentioned bands.

Progressive rock has always been about pushing the musical envelope; hearing "Close To The Edge" for the 7 millionth time doesn't qualify. At that point, it's no less boring than Britney Spears (except Britney only took one listen to be that boring.)

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but you're missing out on a lot of great music with your mind so closed.

gregorio alfaro
11-18-2001, 09:06 AM
THERE ARE MUCH MORE FINE MUSIC THAN PINK FLOYD, YES AND E,L&P.
YOU MUST HEAR ALL THE EUROPEAN 70īS SCENE TO NOTICE THAT A LOT OF GROUPS HAD DONE BETTER MUSIC THAN THAT.
TRY: ITALIANS LIKE ILBALLETTO DI BRONZO, BANCO, AREA, PFM,MUSEO ROSENBACH, QUELLA VECCHIA LOCANDA, ETC.
GERMANS LIKE CAN, FAUST, AMON DULL II, KRAAN, ETC.
FRENCHS LIKE ANGE, MAGMA, MONALISA, ETC.
DUTCHS LIKE FOCUS, SUPERSISTER, KAYAK, ETC.
SPANISH LIKE TRIANA, GRANADA, BLOQUE, DIFICIL EQUILIBRIO, IMAN, ETC.

OR TRY THE CANTERBURY SCENE LIKE NATIONAL HEALTH, SOFT MACHINE, HATFIELD AND THE NORTH, GONG.

OR EVEN LATIN AMERICAN LIKE PERUVIAN LOS JAIVAS, MEXICAN ICONOCLASTA, ALEACION 0720, BRASILIAN LIKE O TERCO, ARGENTINIAN, LKE MAGMA, ESPIRITU, SERU GIRAN.

AS YOU SEE THERE ARE MANY GROUPS ALL AROUND THE WORLD THAT OFFERS A GREAT DIVERSITY OF MUSIC THAT MUST NOT MISS.
JUST TRY AND PICK THE ONES THAT ARE GOOD FOR YOUR TASTES.

progdirjim
11-14-2003, 12:21 PM
just pushing this to the top for Rick's sake.

PlayingTheFool
11-14-2003, 02:38 PM
I am going to request Area everyday now!!!

Rick and Roll
11-14-2003, 03:24 PM
:D :D

I am an Echolyn and Crack the Sky offender, and here's some other overplayed ones:

Finch - I really hammered these guys to get some Finch, and now it's played quite a bit.

Later Crimson - more like "The Power To Puke"

Tangent
Mario M.
Lena Lane
Rare Bird
5% Mister whatever

Now I like these, but more variety!

Can't wait for the updates.......

progdirjim
11-14-2003, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Rick and Roll
:D :D
Finch - I really hammered these guys to get some Finch, and now it's played quite a bit.

uh, we had Finch on the station before you ever posted Rick...

Rick and Roll
11-14-2003, 03:38 PM
meant to get played (noticed) more, sorry (one of those be careful what you wish for things)