PDA

View Full Version : Gary Hoey/Ohm

progdirjim
12-20-2004, 12:21 PM
Friday night, my brother and I drove up to San Juan Capistrano (about 50 miles, but a 2 hour drive due to Friday night rush hour traffic jam) to see Gary Hoey play at the Coach House. A pleasant surprise was that Ohm was one of three warm-up bands.

The first two were local acts that were very unimpressive. The first band was called "Allan's Wrench", and since Allan Holdsworth once played in "Igginbottom's Wrench"(or something like that), I thought they might be a Holdsworth tribute or at least inspired by him. One measure in it was pretty clear they'd never heard of Allan Holdsworth. Unimaginative hard rock, not all that well done. Band 2 was called "Point Blank" - slightly better, and more amusing as 3/4 were fairly obviously gay, and dressed strangely - lead guitarist wore TIGHT, SHORT jeans shorts, a red vest, a cowboy hat, and nothing else. More unimaginative hard rock,though they flashed signs of dynamic shifts and clean guitar leads here and there - if their taste and songwriting expands, they could become decent.

Third up was Ohm, (we have them on the station and I'm about to add a live disc I picked up at the show), and they were a treat. Basic 3 piece - drums, bass, guitar, but all 3 were very talented. Bass player played a six string fretless bass that he wore just below his chin, and he was a monster on it. Drummer had dynamics down - I really enjoy a drummer who knows when to play hard, fast, slow, quiet, etc. I also enjoyed his "piece-meal" set-up - two roto-toms, two wood-grain ride toms, a red floor tom, and a completely different bass drum. Chris Poland on guitar was better live than his impressive studio disc. Great melodic sense, and all over the fretboard. One of those rare guitarists who can play beautiful melodies lightning fast - not just speed for speed's sake.

Gary Hoey was a crowd favorite, as he grew up and still lives in the area. He mixed up-tempo hard rock, guitar virtuoso songs, and Christmas carol instrumentals with professionalism and a great showman's attitude. Highlights included a great version of "Linus and Lucy" (the Peanuts Christmas classic), and an instrumental version of "Low Rider" that absolutely rocked! Lots of fun, and plenty of jaw dropping guitar pyrotechnics.

It was also a dinner show, and we enjoyed a couple bottles of a nice merlot throughout the evening. Local hotel rooms so we didn't have to drive back completed the evening...

Rick and Roll
12-20-2004, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by progdirjim
were fairly obviously gay, and dressed strangely - lead guitarist wore TIGHT, SHORT jeans shorts, a red vest, a cowboy hat, and nothing else.

Third up was Ohm, (we have them on the station and I'm about to add a live disc I picked up at the show), and they were a treat.

Gary Hoey was a crowd favorite, as he grew up and still lives in the area.

Jim, Great review.

Hey that's what I wear!

I need to hear more Ohm, only heard great things about them. Will definitely feature them on a show...and couldn't agree more about playing fast just to play fast.

I own nothing by Hoey, but he's a hell of a lot of fun. I have to keep my ears out for him. He makes the rounds to the radio station during xmas, and I think I missed him last week. His "Carol of the Bells" just blows my ass out of the water.

teermin8r
12-21-2004, 06:54 AM
Obviously 'Point Blank' wasn't the same soutern rock band that had a couple of Top 40 hits in the 70's. At least I hope not. 'Nicole' was their biggest hit. If it was the same band maybe not original members. They were good in their day.

progdirjim
12-21-2004, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by teermin8r
Obviously 'Point Blank' wasn't the same soutern rock band that had a couple of Top 40 hits in the 70's. At least I hope not. 'Nicole' was their biggest hit. If it was the same band maybe not original members. They were good in their day.

Definitely not the same Point Blank - I vaguely remember them now that you've mentioned them. These guys Friday were probably not BORN in the70's - fairly young kids.