PDA

View Full Version : Death to WPN?

moses
02-16-2005, 09:32 AM
As I'm sure we're aware, song titles with "quotes" in them have the strange ability to render the What's Playing Now? screen utterly useless until the quotes have moved far enough away.

That's right, quotes are Kryptonite to What's Playing Now? screens.

It looks as if 'single quotes' (aka 'apostrophes') are not harmful so maybe it would be cool to edit the tags of these offending songs so that this problem will not happen again.

The song that played today and prompted this was Egg's Boilk (Incl. Bach: "Durch Adams Fall Ist Ganz Verderbt") but I'm sure there are more.

I know, as if you guys didn't have enough else to do. We can live with a temporarily disabled WPN if you're too busy.

progdirjim
02-16-2005, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by moses
As I'm sure we're aware, song titles with "quotes" in them have the strange ability to render the What's Playing Now? screen utterly useless until the quotes have moved far enough away.

really? that's bizzare. I can change the quotes in the offending Egg song to single quotes easily enough, but I don't know of any easy way to search for all instances of ""'""s. Maybe post here if it happens again...

progdirjim
02-16-2005, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by progdirjim
but I don't know of any easy way to search for all instances of ""'""s.

actually, it was quite easy and I've changed all double quotes to single quotes. Let us know if that doesn't fix it...

moses
02-16-2005, 12:39 PM
Thanks! You ROCK and I'm sure we'll let you know if it happens again.

I didn't know that you didn't know it was happening. Oddly enough, it's fine to have "quotes" on the main page but not in WPN.

Roger -Dot- Lee
02-16-2005, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by moses
Thanks! You ROCK and I'm sure we'll let you know if it happens again.

I didn't know that you didn't know it was happening. Oddly enough, it's fine to have "quotes" on the main page but not in WPN.

Funny thing is, it's not WPN per se that's having the problems, but the database that feeds WPN. 'Tis a funky system indeed.

Actually, I'm sure it could easily be fixed with a line or two of code. I just don't know what that line's supposed to look like, nor do I know where to put it (no comments from the peanut gallery, please).

And Jim does indeed ROCK

Roger -Dot- Lee, and that's the trooooooooththththththth...

Roger -Dot- Lee
02-16-2005, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by progdirjim
actually, it was quite easy and I've changed all double quotes to single quotes. Let us know if that doesn't fix it...

You'll have to take a few moments and show me how you did that...

Incidentally, during Tuesday's themed request thing, I found that two people requested Arthur and Gwenevere(sp?) by Rick Wakeman. Well, one was by Rick Wakeman and the other by Wakeman, Rick.

Looks like it's time to take a tiptoe through the database again...

Roger -Dot- Lee, on a bad 60s kick for some unknown reason

podakayne
02-16-2005, 05:59 PM
there'll be no more wintery white snow storms for the WPN while your watch is on.

:cool:

MrMagoo
02-18-2005, 04:21 PM
I also just gave Vax the skinny on how to fix the broken artist link to All Music Guide, just a tweak in the query string parameters.

Rick and Roll
02-18-2005, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by MrMagoo
I also just gave Vax the skinny on how to fix the broken artist link to All Music Guide, just a tweak in the query string parameters.

good so we can hear the all music drivel about how they have no info on the current band....just kidding, nice job magoo;)