PDA

View Full Version : World Party

Rick and Roll
04-25-2005, 12:23 PM
Remember the chart Magoo did a while back about our "personalities"?

How about a chart having everyone's location?

Sort of a World listener chart.

Any ideas?

Yesspaz
04-25-2005, 12:30 PM
I don't know how to do the graphics and such, but you can put me in for Bessemer, AL.:eek:

fremder99
04-25-2005, 12:36 PM
Some other Lunar graphics whix kids may beat me to it, but I'll take a stab. My lab uses "GMT" a mapping tool kit that makes nice geographic plots, so I should be able to crank out a GIF for the website, and a Postscript or PDF for Moonies to DL and print.

I'll work up a couple of prototypes and post them here for suggestions, etc. Then it's matter of collecting the LAT, LON of each Moontredder.

podakayne
04-25-2005, 12:45 PM
podakayne

physical location: seattle, washington

mental location is apt to change abruptly and let's not even discuss my frequent flyer spiritual miles, they span several star systems.

hope fremder finds time to plot our locations...good idea rick.

:cool:
p.s. dont forget kirk, progskunk and MrMagoo are also in this area.

kirk
04-25-2005, 01:34 PM
thanks pod! magoo and i are almost neighbors by the
forum's scale, gig harbor and port orchard.

p e a c e

kirk

KeithieW
04-25-2005, 04:07 PM
Depends on my state of mind but put me down (Willingly - Pam) as London, England.

51.5 degrees North, 0.4 degrees West.
:D

Roger -Dot- Lee
04-25-2005, 04:37 PM
As for me:

I'm in Roswell, Ga, but Atlanta should be close enough.

Rick and Roll
04-25-2005, 05:18 PM
Is anyone collecting this info? Maybe we should have frem and poda and whoever else decide on a format and then we start doing the Hee Haw thing...

population 3,258 Salute! :D

(just love it when the board hits the girl in the rear end)

roger
04-25-2005, 05:37 PM
maybe we want something like this:
http://www.bravenet.com/webtools/guestmap/index.php

fremder99
04-25-2005, 05:37 PM
Gang,

Rick's right. It will snowball into a big search for lat/lon coords. I will play a bit with some ideas: I may be able to do something like "ditherIng" the locations so a cluster of people appear somewhat as individuals in one city, or plot a bigger splat for a bunch of co-located Moonies...

In the meantime, if you would rummage the web for the latitude/longitude of your home city, THAT would be a BIG HELP!!

Here are a couple of sites I've found with city locations.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0001769.html
http://www.bcca.org/misc/qiblih/latlong.html

and of course

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

I don't know what will be easiest delivery, though I accept PMs through the forum. That, or perhaps have everyone edit a single post, adding their info at the bottom. Maybe the Lunar Web Gurus can offer their notions...

jnighting
04-25-2005, 06:51 PM
Lost, in Liverpool, NY..............outside of Syracuse.:)

roger
04-25-2005, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by fremder99
In the meantime, if you would rummage the web for the latitude/longitude of your home city, THAT would be a BIG HELP!!

plug your city into www.wunderground.com and get your lat/lon, and your weather...

mine's Lat/Lon: 44.4° N 72.4° W Plainfield, Vermont USA

sharcnorris
04-25-2005, 09:19 PM
now if rick does'nt tell kevishev where I live........
41.7 N / 72.8W

Bob Lentil
04-25-2005, 09:21 PM
Lat/Lon: 41.0° N 81.5° W
Becoming cloudy. Lows in the lower 40s. Southwest winds 10 to 15 mph.

Roger -Dot- Lee
04-25-2005, 09:27 PM
I swear by wunderground and never noticed that.

Roger -Dot- Lee, 34.0° N 84.3° W

Roger -Dot- Lee
04-25-2005, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by sharcnorris
now if rick does'nt tell kevishev where I live.........

Don't worry, Connecticut is a big sta...er...

Have you considered moving to Cleveland?

Roger -Dot- Lee, 'heh'

VAXman
04-26-2005, 06:00 AM
40.15583°North Latitiude
74.26867°West Longitude

ICBMs, come and get me!

Rick and Roll
04-26-2005, 06:36 AM
Gang,

Rick's right. It will snowball into a big search for lat/lon coords. I will play a bit with some ideas: I may be able to do something like "ditherIng" the locations so a cluster of people appear somewhat as individuals in one city, or plot a bigger splat for a bunch of co-located Moonies...

I don't know what will be easiest delivery, though I accept PMs through the forum. That, or perhaps have everyone edit a single post, adding their info at the bottom. Maybe the Lunar Web Gurus can offer their notions...

Folks, eveyone seems to be posting the lat/lon again....I was just going to wait until Frem and others got back to us with the plan before I posted the coordinates.

Roger -Dot- Lee
04-26-2005, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by Rick and Roll
Folks, eveyone seems to be posting the lat/lon again....I was just going to wait until Frem and others got back to us with the plan before I posted the coordinates.

Why wait? It's not like the posts have a sell-by date. They won't go stale (unless you're moving).

Rick and Roll
04-26-2005, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by Roger Lee
Why wait? It's not like the posts have a sell-by date. They won't go stale (unless you're moving).

Because, my good man, I didn't want to bombard Fremder with information before he was ready, nor throw information in places he needed to hunt and peck for.

An earlier Fremder post...

Just following directions.

fremder99
04-26-2005, 08:50 AM
Thanks for looking out for me Rick! :)

And I guess I was a bit ambiguous about when to send. I'm OK with harvesting the lat/lon that get posted to this thread for now. Once we post the map, others will probably want to jump in, and I'm not sure whether this thread is the best mechanism for gathering people's places. I'm open to other's thoughts on that!

I may have a prototype ready later today.

Roger -Dot- Lee
04-26-2005, 08:57 AM
Because, my good man, I didn't want to bombard Fremder with information before he was ready, nor throw information in places he needed to hunt and peck for.

Always a good idea, I suppose.

An earlier Fremder post...

Just following directions.

I have no idea how I missed that. I think I stopped reading after the URLs.

Editing a post wouldn't be possible, so far as I can tell. I know that I, as an admin, can, but can everyone else (using default privs)? That I don't know. Do we WANT them to? Something tells me this would be a bad idea.

If we all send PMs, he's going to have to hunt and peck anyway.

Roger -Dot- Lee, Just my $.02, adjusted for inflation.

Roger -Dot- Lee
04-26-2005, 09:37 AM
And I guess I was a bit ambiguous about when to send. I'm OK with harvesting the lat/lon that get posted to this thread for now. Once we post the map, others will probably want to jump in, and I'm not sure whether this thread is the best mechanism for gathering people's places. I'm open to other's thoughts on that!

There are two ways of handling this: having people email you the information (more control, less idiots playing with it) or automating it (less work for you to have to do).

I'd suggest having a single point take care of it.

I may have a prototype ready later today.

Sweet. Let me know how and where. I might want to give it the once over. Is this dynamically generated?

Roger -Dot- Lee, just curious.

podakayne
04-26-2005, 11:56 AM
Lat/Lon: 47.6° N 122.3° W

today is overcast, but promises to burn off and become sunny and warmer...good i wore sandals, my toes need warmth

:p

podakayne
04-26-2005, 12:02 PM
i didn't read throughly. (hummm where have i heard that advice before) so i jumped to the link and posted. please accept my sorries, rick's just being logical and efficient....

thanks roger for the link, thanks rick for lookin out, thanks fremder for taking the time whenever you choose to to make the chart.

poda

mossy
04-26-2005, 01:54 PM
Thank you Fremder. Although nobody in their right mind would live here unless you're Thor :D

Teasing, Thor.

Goo, where is that chart you made with the "temperaments". That was a hoot. Wouldn't mind revisiting.

kevishev
04-26-2005, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by roger
plug your city into www.wunderground.com and get your lat/lon, and your weather...

Modesto, Ca. here. Lat/Lon: 37.7° N 121.0° W

KeithieW
04-26-2005, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Roger Lee

Editing a post wouldn't be possible, so far as I can tell. I know that I, as an admin, can, but can everyone else (using default privs)? That I don't know. Do we WANT them to? Something tells me this would be a bad idea.

Roger -Dot- Lee, Just my $.02, adjusted for inflation.

Am I missing something here? I read the post about where to get my lat/long from and edited my original "London, England" post to include the info. Is that what we're talking about cos if it is there is no problem. If it's not then I'll crawl back into my deaf ear hole and die. :)

Roger -Dot- Lee
04-26-2005, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Keith Waye
Am I missing something here? I read the post about where to get my lat/long from and edited my original "London, England" post to include the info. Is that what we're talking about cos if it is there is no problem. If it's not then I'll crawl back into my deaf ear hole and die. :)

You can edit your OWN posts until you turn a nice shade of chartreuse. It's posts that are generated by others that non-administrative users should not be able to do.

Keithie: see if you can edit this post. Try not to make me look any more foolish than I already do. If you can't, then we know that it's impossible for non-administrative users to edit the posts of others. If you can, then I need to see about plugging a security hole.

Roger -Dot- Lee, Security N@zi

roger
04-26-2005, 07:40 PM
I'm not Keith, but here's what I got when I tried:

You do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
You do not have permission to access the page that you were trying to. Are you trying to edit someone else's post or trying to access administrative features? Check that you are allowed to perform this action in the Forum Rules.
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
Logged in user: roger [logout]

fremder99
04-26-2005, 07:49 PM
Guys, I was thinking (not!) that there might be a mechanism to "build" a big list of lat/lon positions contributed by the members, by editing one post...

Of course, now that I've had some coffee, sleep, more coffee, I see the complete folly... (Can we imagine what Old Sod would do?? Let's not...) so no need to test that any further!

I'm talking with Dot about an automated mechanism, so stay tuned all!!

Yesspaz
04-26-2005, 07:51 PM
Bessemer, AL:

33.4° N 86.9° W

Rick and Roll
04-26-2005, 07:51 PM
there's a long thread in the quiz section from Dinosaur where the post is changed. I think that's what Fremder was talking about, but did not say it as such. Anyhow -

How about this?

Everyone who has sent coordinates, Fremder can collect.

Everyone else can private message me with the rest. I'll cut and paste and get them them to Mr. 99.

Something on the front page telling everyone would be great too!

fremder99
04-26-2005, 08:26 PM
there's a long thread in the quiz section from Dinosaur where the post is changed. I think that's what Fremder was talking about, but did not say it as such. Anyhow -

How about this?

Everyone who has sent coordinates, Fremder can collect.

Everyone else can private message me with the rest. I'll cut and paste and get them them to Mr. 99.

Oh man! You're waaayy too generous!! And it's waaaay appreciated!! :) But, I think I've got a better solution in the making!!

So, hold the phone everyone!!

Something on the front page telling everyone would be great too! [/B]

I think we're headed that way. I'm going to get an Email address set up at the Moon. Members will be able send their "coordinates" in a carefully constructed Email to a very specific lunar email address , which I will ultimately get, parse, gen a new map, and send it back to the Moon!

Once I've ironed out a few more details, I think Dot will be able to provide a link to the map, and instructions for adding a new member's location. This will not only cover the current members (who haven't posted their coords) but new people that come onboard!

So, I guess for now, people might need to hang on a bit, but any coords posted to this thread will be taken care of!

Again, Rick, I don't want to rain on your enthusiasm, nor your kind offer of help! Your "idea" has blossomed into quite a nice "feature" to be added to the Moon! I'm glad I can help!!

Rick and Roll
04-26-2005, 08:55 PM

Again, Rick, I don't want to rain on your enthusiasm, nor your kind offer of help! Your "idea" has blossomed into quite a nice "feature" to be added to the Moon! I'm glad I can help!!

oh hell no. If this works I'd much rather have it done this way.

trust me, you're not peeing in my Rice Krispies by doing this.:D

(sorry for the visual, it's a favorite line)

roger
04-26-2005, 09:03 PM

ewww.

:p

fremder99
04-26-2005, 09:06 PM
oh hell no. If this works I'd much rather have it done this way.

(sorry for the visual, it's a favorite line)

They'll never snap,crackle,pop quite the same!

You remind me of one of my Dad's favorites... when he heard the word "pneumonia" or "pneumatic" he'd invariably say:

The "p" is silent....... as in "swimming"!

KeithieW
04-27-2005, 02:46 AM
I got the same as roger (but without the rogers obviously).

OK I'll crawl back into my ear hole and shut up!!!!!! :rolleyes:

sharcnorris
04-27-2005, 09:20 PM
NEW AND IMPROVED!!! Fresh from Rick to....... YOU!

KeithieW
04-28-2005, 02:50 AM
Cereal with Snap, Crackle and POOP!!!

Yuk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

progdirjim
04-28-2005, 10:31 PM
San Diego

32°44' N 117° 10' W

and the weather is better than wherever you're at. :D

moses
04-29-2005, 10:16 AM
Coraopolis, PA (A Pittsburgh suburb)

Lat/Lon: 40.5° N 80.2° W

Giving London and Seattle a run for their money on the "rainiest city" awards.

Methem
04-30-2005, 04:38 AM
Oulu, Finland

Lat/Lon: 64.9° N 25.4° E

-Methem