PDA

View Full Version : Hot Damn it's Hot Tuna!

Rick and Roll
11-21-2005, 09:13 AM
Last night at the usually standing-only Recher Theater in Baltimore was an amazing performance by Jorma Kaukonen, Jack Casady, and the great Barry Mitterhoff, collectively known as Hot Tuna. They actually had seats for 200 in front, I grabbed a ninth row (of ten). Only drawback was a woman on her cell phone and otherwise talking ABOVE the music, even during the electric set. I told her the sound was "great in the back" and yelled at her, but no avail. May she rot in hell.])

Barry Mitterhoff was spectacular. This guy played acoustic and electric Mandolin and a very cool half-guitar (and a 1948 Gibson). FM are you listening? He usually took first lead (Hot Tuna songs are for the most part theme, jam, rinse, repeat). A lot of his rhythm lines were like piano. What a talent!

Jorma and Jack, while aging, are still vibrant. The acoustic set was worth the price of admission, with a 12 minute version of "Good Shepherd", my favorite Airplane song. "I See The Light" and the obligatory "Embryonic Journey" were stellar.

After a 20 minute intermission ("Hefeweisen break") they played another hour twenty set, adding an excellent drummer, last name Diaz. Again I was incredibly happy with the selection. "Bowlegged Woman Knockneed Man", "Hit Single # 1", "Serpent of Dreams", "I Wish You Would", all there. What blew me away were the closer and the encore. "Funky # 7" closed out the show, always a pleaser. And "Water Song" as an encore..fantastic. That's one of the best songs ever written.

I'd seen them about a dozen years ago, loud electric, in a bar, overmiked. I'd been avoiding them acoustic, but to see the split show like this was outstanding. So many bands still good at an "advanced" age...Yes, Tuna, Tull, Moodies, even Rush. Take notes, young ones!

What a show!

dinosaur
11-21-2005, 11:05 AM
Sounds like great fun, Rick.
I saw JK and JC along with...now I can't remember...in about 1997. I got tickets from a college blues radio show that was giving tickets to the first caller who knew who Jorma Kaukonen was. It was an acoustic/electric set and "The Water Song" remains a high water mark for performances I have witnessed. I'll have to keep an eye out for tour dates nearby. Thanks for the review.
Destroy all cell phones. No, keep the cell phones and throw the idiots out!

Rick and Roll
11-21-2005, 11:20 AM
Sounds like great fun, Rick.
I saw JK and JC along with...now I can't remember...in about 1997. I got tickets from a college blues radio show that was giving tickets to the first caller who knew who Jorma Kaukonen was. It was an acoustic/electric set and "The Water Song" remains a high water mark for performances I have witnessed. I'll have to keep an eye out for tour dates nearby. Thanks for the review.
Destroy all cell phones. No, keep the cell phones and throw the idiots out!

Love the fact that trivia wins sometimes!

Looks like IL and MN the closest.

dinosaur
11-22-2005, 09:51 AM
Cool, Chicago on Dec 8.