PDA

View Full Version : OK.....here's a very easy one to get the ball rolling.

KeithieW
12-14-2005, 03:15 AM
What is the link between:
Jethro Tull, ELP and Procul Harem?

Yesspaz
12-14-2005, 09:38 AM
They are all bands on Aural Moon! They all have entries in Allmusic.com! Their names all contain elements of a real person's name! They all use keyboards in their music!

KeithieW
12-14-2005, 10:27 AM
They are all bands on Aural Moon! They all have entries in Allmusic.com! Their names all contain elements of a real person's name! They all use keyboards in their music!
True but not the connection i'm looking for.................sorry!!!!!

mossy
12-14-2005, 05:39 PM
They're all from the UK :-o~

My first response to a quiz. Be kind.

Rick and Roll
12-14-2005, 05:47 PM

Procul Harum is the only one spelled wrong?:deadhorse

sharcnorris
12-14-2005, 08:31 PM
Is there a tune all have played, maybe a shared album Artist? I can't see it being personal........maybe Eddie Offord knows

KeithieW
12-15-2005, 02:24 AM
Sorry folks................it's none of those.

Try again. If no-one has it by the weekend I'll post a clue. It really is VERY obvious.

tobyGnome
12-15-2005, 02:36 AM
Is the answer that they all played at the Isle of Wight festival in 1970? Fantastic line-up but unfortunately I was only 3 at the time. Were you actually there Keithie?

KeithieW
12-15-2005, 02:39 AM
Is the answer that they all played at the Isle of Wight festival in 1970? Fantastic line-up but unfortunately I was only 3 at the time. Were you actually there Keithie?
I was but I don't remember Procul Harum being there. That's not to say that they weren't but I don't remember them.

No, the answer I'm looking for is more to do with songs.

Michael Rawdon
12-15-2005, 07:34 PM
In order for it to be easy, I would need to be a fan of ELP and PH, but I've never heard anything by them other than their radio "hits"! :rolleyes:

Hmm, a little searching turns up a song by each which refers to "skating on thin ice" in the title or lyrics:

Jethro Tull, "Skating Away on the Thin Ice of the New Day", from War Child (1974)
Procol Harem, "Skating on Thin Ice", from Something Magic (1976)
Emerson Lake and Palmer, "Black Moon" (http://www.lyricsdomain.com/5/emerson_lake_and_palmer/black_moon.html), from Black Moon (1992)

roger
12-15-2005, 08:41 PM
> skating on thin ice

well, if that's not it, it should be!! :D

KeithieW
12-16-2005, 02:26 AM
Blimey!!!!!

Michael R............that's amazing detective work!!

Unfortunately that's not what I was looking for.................tee hee!!!!

Try again. :neener:

progdirjim
12-16-2005, 05:22 PM

could it be.....

Johann Sebasatian Bach?

progdirjim
12-16-2005, 05:25 PM

and Spaz, that is perhaps the WORST shotgunning guess I've ever seen! Congratulatons!
:imp: :winkies: :rofl:

KeithieW
12-16-2005, 05:28 PM
I thought this was going to be a doddle....................:winkies:

"'tis the season to be jolly............"

Hey Santa, pass us that bottle will ya?:vaxman:

mailotron
12-17-2005, 09:45 AM

I think the answer is related to the Tull's opening acts ::angel:

During the 25th anniversary US tour Procol Harum opened for JT
It was in 1993 , US tour began in Houston Texas the 20th of august and ended in San Diago CA on the 19th september ... same year :p

Just for the record ( part ONE) ; Matt Pegg played bass for Procol and Dave Pegg played it for Tull indeed

ELP was the warmer band of the "Roots to Branches" US tour of 1996 !
Except for the 8th september in Moline ( Illionois ?) where the Tulls choosed to open the show themselves. The 96'US tour started the 18 th of august in Darien Lake and finished the 29 th september in Boise.

I don't know if I'm right or wrong nevertheless these news are real .:winkies:

Just for the record ( part TWO):
Tulls and friends jammed in London in 1994 , Procol Harum's founder Gary Brooker performed "White shade of pale" and "conquistador" with Tull's members ( Clapham Grand Theatre London august( 11 th?) 1994, kinda charity gig ?!) ; were also presents Roy Harper, Mick Abrahams , Martin Barre's band , .. ).... but sorry no Lake on backing vocals, no Palmer on percussions and no Emerson on piano:p . Duno if a recorded testimony exists ?!

Just for the record ( part Three):

Procol and Tull were on Chrysalis for years , but you knew it , dont' you ?

Mailo

KeithieW
12-17-2005, 10:38 AM
Mailo you're a mine of information and I was actually at the Clapham Grand Charity gig. I have a VHS video of it somewhere.....very poor quality but an interesting record of a good night out.

As for the question..............

My last post contains a serious clue.

So here's another one, I believe............. :angel:

I guess Mogwai could have been included in the question TWICE!!!!!

mailotron
12-17-2005, 01:05 PM
Mailo you're a mine of information and I was actually at the Clapham Grand Charity gig. I have a VHS video of it somewhere.....very poor quality but an interesting record of a good night out.

As for the question..............

My last post contains a serious clue.

So here's another one, I believe............. :angel:

I guess Mogwai could have been included in the question TWICE!!!!!

KW,
I was sure my answer would be wrong ....we have to find YOUR answer not a reasonable one.; and your question is so broad...
mailo

Rick and Roll
12-17-2005, 11:09 PM
I've been kind of away, but watching the posts....

I know the answer is xmas...problem is I don't know the Procul Harum song, and I'll let someone else get it.

The Tull of course is "A Christmas Song" (on Living In The Past), from which the Santa quote is from (what great lyrics, makes you think). Another Tull could be "Another Christmas Song", from Rock Island. Both songs are also on the Jethro Tull xmas Album, which should be heard in its entirety along with a lot of other xmas stuff the staff is putting together. I love that record... thanks Term for getting me that last year!

ELP has "I Believe In Father Christmas" (I think that's the title) from Works 2, another lyrically interesting tune (Sinfield perhaps?).

So I'm certain that's connection, if one wants to tie it together....tie away!

Rick and Roll
12-17-2005, 11:15 PM
Procol has "A Christmas Camel"...

I couldn't help myself:dogpile:

KeithieW
12-18-2005, 06:47 AM
There you go........simple really.

Over to you Rickster. :)

teermin8r
12-18-2005, 07:42 AM
They all have Christmas songs that are on the moon. That can't be the answer.

Rick and Roll
12-18-2005, 09:12 AM
They all have Christmas songs that are on the moon. That can't be the answer.

Although technically I solved it first and was acknowledgd by Keith, I gladly cede control of the board to you.

After all, you did give me the xmas CD!

And, I really am not in correct frame of mind to constuct a challenging trivia question.

Please fire away!

teermin8r
12-18-2005, 09:29 AM
What band is named after a bakery?

Rick and Roll
12-18-2005, 11:24 AM

How about the Flour Kings?

:dogpile: :dogpile: :dogpile: :dogpile: :dogpile: :dogpile: :dogpile: :dogpile: :dogpile: :dogpile: :dogpile: :dogpile:

I'll guess Malibran cause you like them a lot.:winkies:

sharcnorris
12-18-2005, 01:17 PM

PFM if a Macaroni Factory is a bakery

KeithieW
12-18-2005, 04:12 PM
PFM if a Macaroni Factory is a bakery

PFM is the correct answer. That's right isn't it tee?????

If you do the next question sharc.....please start a new thread. it makes things easier to follow.

teermin8r
12-18-2005, 06:51 PM
Yep. Your turn sharc. http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/8827/pfm.html

sharcnorris
12-18-2005, 07:51 PM
:eureka: :eureka: :eureka: :eureka: :eureka: :eureka: :eureka: :eureka: :eureka: :eureka: =8^O =8^O Champion of the Day=8^O =8^O :eureka: :eureka: :eureka: :eureka: :eureka: :eureka: :eureka: :eureka: :eureka: :eureka:

Wojtek
12-19-2005, 05:21 AM

The Baker's Daughters of course.

Ermm... the band consists of two female flutists and Woj on vocals....

Asian Rush Fan
12-20-2005, 08:11 PM
They're all prog rock bands:haha: :haha:

teermin8r
12-21-2005, 07:57 PM
Since sharc didn't post a question, I will. First the answer is not a prog band but I'll wager many of you have some of this bands records. Not sure the answer is on the net either, just some trivia I remember a while back.

What band and the name of the album/video, was the very first time a video and album (live concert) were released the same day?

Good luck.