PDA

View Full Version : Name a tune that.............

KeithieW
12-27-2005, 04:57 PM
OK peeps we're coming to the end of 2005 so I think we should have one last futile debate.

My question is:

Can you name ONE track that totally sums up the "Prog" ideal?

I'll set the ball rolling by saying "Cinema Show". I reckon that it has it all. Great music, changes in time, great lyrics, great instrumental sections and it's longer than 4 minutes duration. :)

Any others?

Rick and Roll
12-27-2005, 06:26 PM
For me it's best not to think about it...so I'm putting down the first thing that popped into my mind...

"Canto IV" by Discipline.

I do like your choice though Keithie.

And since Spaz is not around, let's give him that 60-minute tarentel song:dogpile:

teermin8r
12-27-2005, 07:53 PM
I'm going with 'The Gates of Delirium'.

But so many choices.

sharcnorris
12-27-2005, 09:29 PM
I am A Walrus, ulp, Beatles not recognized by the moon so:

Starless (and Bible Black) -K.C. Mellotron, Haunting Wetton Vocals and the best Guitar ever

:knowing: :knowing: :knowing: :knowing: :knowing: :knowing: :knowing: :knowing: :knowing: :knowing: :knowing: :-o~ :-o~ :-o~ :-o~ :-o~ :-o~ :knowing: :knowing: :knowing: :knowing: :knowing: :knowing: :knowing: :knowing: :knowing: :knowing: :knowing: :knowing:

moses
12-28-2005, 07:37 AM
You forgot the other prog prerequisite - it must be hated by the general public!

Good choices all. I'll throw Supper's Ready out there.

Just because someone had to.

Asian Rush Fan
12-28-2005, 01:03 PM
Mine is Rush and Fountain of Lamneth. My ex-boss is a jazz musician, and enjoys good music and he was blown away with Caress

progdirjim
12-28-2005, 02:59 PM
For me it's best not to think about it...so I'm putting down the first thing that popped into my mind...

"Canto IV" by Discipline.

I do like your choice though Keithie.

And since Spaz is not around, let's give him that 60-minute tarentel song:dogpile:

that Tarentel song only SEEMS like it's 60 minutes.:haha:

Canto IV is a good "lesser known" choice. "How could there possibly be - no more room up there for me" is chilling.

I'm tempted to throw out "Close to the Edge" - it even has the cheesy church organ solo as an added prog bonus... Or ELP's Karn Evil 9 (the live version with the 5 minute drum solo, including the gongs). Gotta have an extended solo somewhere:rulez:

kirk
12-29-2005, 12:37 AM
it's between "and you and I" and "awaken".
IMO- that'll always be the standard.

p e a c e

kirk

Rick and Roll
12-29-2005, 07:40 AM
Gotta have an extended solo somewhere:rulez:

Forgot about that!

roger
12-29-2005, 11:28 AM
these selections would make a great show...

for me, probably Kansas' "Magnum Opus".

Rick and Roll
12-29-2005, 11:47 AM
these selections would make a great show...

for me, probably Kansas' "Magnum Opus".

Another topic is "best endings". I've long felt that "Miracles Out Of Nowhere" from the same record has a killer ending. But that would be off topic, now wouldn't it?O_o

KeithieW
12-29-2005, 01:04 PM
Another topic is "best endings". I've long felt that "Miracles Out Of Nowhere" from the same record has a killer ending. But that would be off topic, now wouldn't it?O_o
It would, but no reason not to start another thread........ ;)

yorksrvc
12-29-2005, 08:23 PM
OK........Firth of Fifth.........EVERYTHING.........is ALL in place....Hackett's solo still gives me chills, the bass pedals pulse my chest......and the mellotron soothes my soul........and PG sings his best........an ALL TIME Favorite

RogorMortis
12-30-2005, 03:37 PM
I became a true proggist the first time I ever heard Yes - that was Yours is No Disgrace played on the Bob Harris show 1972 I think - which I heard on our old AM radio. I was hooked from then on so I'd say it's a true prog track.

yorksrvc
12-30-2005, 03:45 PM
Roger...........YES was really my first taste and hook into prog. I bought the Time and A Word LP, because it looked interesting. I got it home and was disappointed with a "girl" singer.....HA!!!........That album grew and grew on me and I purchased every album after that as they came out. I still laugh at myself about the "girl" singer thing.........HECK!!! I thought Rod Stewart was another Janis Joplin when I first got the Jeff Beck, Truth album.....maybe because I had it set on 45 RPM for the first 2-3 songs before I realized it....that was pretty funny too....ah!, the good ol' days?!?!?:headscrat :rawk:

Elric68
12-30-2005, 04:11 PM
For me, definitely Firth Of Fifth, the 1st prog tune I've ever heard ... my introduction to prog ... and still one of my faves ...

Yesspaz
01-02-2006, 02:02 PM
Rick Wakeman said in an interview that if someone asked him what Progressive Rock was, he'd play them "Awaken" and "Heart of the Sunrise." I say "Awaken" is the definitive prog song.

And since Spaz is not around, let's give him that 60-minute tarentel songLongest Tarentel pieces is a semi-ambient noise-collage noodle-fest called "Big Black Square." It's 43 minutes and not on the Moon. Nah.:neener:

sharcnorris
01-02-2006, 03:03 PM
Longest Tarentel pieces is a semi-ambient noise-collage noodle-fest called "Big Black Square." It's 43 minutes and not on the Moon. Nah.:neener:

Thank God there is none Longer, they only SEEM like endless drival:urp:

sharcnorris
01-02-2006, 03:11 PM
Rick Wakeman said in an interview that if someone asked him what Progressive Rock was, he'd play them "Awaken" and "Heart of the Sunrise." I say "Awaken" is the definitive prog song.

:

Of course your right on this One. AWAKEN is by far my Favorite Yes Tune because of the synergy of the players and the heavy hand of Rick W. Any Spaz for Yes can see that!!!.........Hmmm,
Yes has the most Tunes represented, Do they indeed have the Song that represents or are they in fact the BAND that does! =8^O

fremder99
01-02-2006, 10:27 PM
Hmmm.,.. a nice thread and especially to come back to as I've forsaken the Moon for some time... forgive me! :blush:

I think I might have to put in a vote for "Close to the Edge". It was ground-breaking for its time. I remember frequently donning the headphones, and staring at the lush green cover... I wore that LP out...

MrMagoo
01-06-2006, 10:45 AM
Tarkus. Studio, not WBMF by a hair.

dinosaur
01-10-2006, 06:29 PM
All of the suggestions are so good...but I'll stick to ONE, KW!
To add a bit of neu-prog to the mix, along with Rick's Discipline choice, I'll go with Arena's 'Empire of a Thousand Days'.

Richard701
01-11-2006, 12:45 PM
Was going to say Firth of Fifth, but that's been taken, then was going to say Awaken but that's gone as well ..... and I know I'm only allowed one choice so I'll go for Shadow of the Hierophant. Haunting vocals by Sally Oldfield at the beginning .... fantastic blend of instruments (although it's easy to say that about all Steve Hackett's compositions) then a long slow build up getting louder as each additional instrument instrument is introduced until the fade down after Steve's own Tubular Bell is introduced near the end. Why it's under 12 minutes long though defeats me .... could have been expanded to be a whole album by itself.

btw, and not a lotta people know this, it was co-written by Mike Rutherford but no matter how often I listen to it I can't find any Rutherfordesque parts of the track, to me is pure Hackett at his best. :vaxman:

mossy
01-11-2006, 04:53 PM
Hi Richard.

Hierophant....yes.

I am tempted to say Spectral Mornings, but Hierophant it is.

Wojtek
01-11-2006, 04:58 PM
I could say Firth of Fifth, I could say Starless but you already have mentioned them. So to not repeat but to add something to this great collection: The Flower Kings - Stardust We Are. This is something like Ritual of modern progressive rock wave, with Stardust We Are, See How We Shine being natural progressor of We Are of The Sun, We Can See...

KeithieW
01-11-2006, 05:00 PM
We Are of The Sun, We Can See...
Korama Wojtek....................:surrender

Richard701
01-11-2006, 05:47 PM
Hi Richard.

Hierophant....yes.

I am tempted to say Spectral Mornings, but Hierophant it is.

Was going to say Spectral Mornings myself ..... just waaaaaaay too short .... have to play it five times back to back just to convince myself that it's simply one long track!:LOL:

Rick and Roll
01-11-2006, 05:58 PM
seems to me that Firth of Fifth is the leader. I would agree about Stardust We Are, Woj...

yorksrvc
01-12-2006, 04:39 AM
hey rick....ya know what REALLY started this for me.......The Beach Boys: round, round get around, I get around waaaaaoooo...ooooooo..ooooo:rockband: That was the FIRST song that stayed in head forever. From there to The Beatles and all British invasion pop and psychedelic...to 3 piece metal....to Deep Purple......to Led Zep and Yes.......and the rest is HISTORY!!! I'm PROUD to say that I never listened to or at least enjoyed........POP/SOUL!!!:rawk: OH!!! BTW: Firth of Fifth is the BEST!!!

KeithieW
01-08-2007, 02:34 AM
Looking through this thread again (I was actually searching Fremder99's posts to find a track to RQ for his birthday ;) ) I realised that this might be another thread to ressurect for some of the newer moonbuds and budettes. It's a good way to try and delve into your psyche and see what makes you tick. The more we understand about people the less chance there is for conflict.

So get thinking.

The question was:

Can you name ONE track that totally sums up the "Prog" ideal?

I'll set the ball rolling by saying "Cinema Show". I reckon that it has it all. Great music, changes in time, great lyrics, great instrumental sections and it's longer than 4 minutes duration.

Any others?

mailotron
01-08-2007, 03:10 PM
A hard choice to make folks, there are hundreds of but tonite ... i vote for The FOUNTAIN of Salmacis by the mighty "70ies GENESIS":rawk: :rawk: :rawk: :rawk: :rawk: :rawk: :rawk: :rawk: :rawk: :rawk: :rawk:

jtmckinley
01-08-2007, 06:18 PM
For me Close To The Edge is the ultimate prog track. It's got everything IMHO.

Richard701
01-09-2007, 05:55 PM
I started reading and thinking this is a good thread, then half way through it I realised I'd already contributed, a year ago this week, and the first week I discovered Aural Moon (I think!)

Still voting for Shadow of the Hieraphant for the same reasons as last year :)

DEzerov
01-09-2007, 08:02 PM
L'Isola di Niente/The Mountain - Premiata Forneria Marconi

just a few reasons:

a.chorale intro is often maligned, but very powerful imho and sets the mood
b. thunderous bass/drums/guitar after the intro.Djivas's bass runs are awesome and so powerful.
c. mellotron sweeps and airey flute and the "metallic" bell sounds
d. return to chorale, flowing into the very contemplative guitar outro

mailotron
01-10-2007, 02:57 PM
L'Isola di Niente/The Mountain - Premiata Forneria Marconi

just a few reasons:

a.chorale intro is often maligned, but very powerful imho and sets the mood
b. thunderous bass/drums/guitar after the intro.Djivas's bass runs are awesome and so powerful.
c. mellotron sweeps and airey flute and the "metallic" bell sounds
d. return to chorale, flowing into the very contemplative guitar outro

I like this track so much Dez but i must confess vocals on the english version are poor

DEzerov
01-10-2007, 04:18 PM
that's why I listed both titles:-V

Considering that they were singing in a language that they only had a rudimentary concept of, I've always overlooked the sub-par vocals...Probably would have been the same if I tried to do the vocals on Dracula today...:ick:

Elric68
01-12-2007, 12:14 PM
Only one track ? I guess the first that comes to my mind as the typical and ideal prog song is Firth Of Fifth, which is the 1st prog track I ever listened as far as I can remember, and still one of my favourites:

It's between 10 and 15 minutes long, depending on the versions, there's a long (and a bit sad) instrumental part (sadness is an element you can find often in prog music and that I love), very emotionnal, and there are a few rythm changes during the song, so it's THE prog track :)