1st Album to blow me away 60's: Jimi Hendrix-Are You Experienced
1st Album to blow me away 70's: Genesis-Foxtrot / The YES Album
1st Album to blow me away Fusion: Return to Forever
1st Album to blow me away Electronic: Tubular Bells
Best 70's Concerts: Jimi Hendrix Experience and Cactus
Cream, Moody Blues and Terry Reid
Doors, Jefferson Airplane and Lighthouse
Genesis:Selling England, The Lamb, and Trick
I guess listening to the Badger Live Album, the other day, pulled out all kinds of memories. I started thinking about all this GREAT music of my past. I thought I'd like to share and hope you'll share as well. It shows our roots. I NEVER thought, that at 55, I'd still be rockin'. I'm glad I am!!!

kirk
02-05-2006, 05:01 PM
Influence to become a musician: the beatles
1st Album purchased with own money: meet the monkees
1st Concert: alice cooper, edgar winter's white trash, black sabbath
1st Album to blow me away 60's: tommy
1st Album to blow me away 70's: ditto-The YES Album!
i'll never forget the 1st time i heard SAGP!
1st Album to blow me away Fusion: mahavishnu orchestra/birds of fire
1st Album to blow me away Electronic: Tomita/snowflakes are dancing
Best 70's Concerts: Yes-topographic oceans,relayer tours,
ELP BSS,Works tour w/ the 80 piece, pink floyd Animals.

I NEVER thought, that at 55, I'd still be rockin'. I'm glad I am!!!
yeah...that's why they call them rockin' chairs!:knowing:

kirk

yorksrvc
02-05-2006, 08:03 PM
Kirk..........That was cool reading.........NOW!!!
I saw Mick J. "ROCK" tonight.........Now, I wanted to say something pathetic about him, bit I couldn't.........He did real good.
As for the "rockin' chairs", I use my son-in-law's x-box audio/video rockin' chair..................that thar be some serious rockin'!!
Oh yea!!!..."Meet the Monkees"?!?!?!? That's "CUT":haha:

kirk
02-06-2006, 12:00 PM
i had the whole monkee outfit! the red shirt w/ the double
row of buttons, the guitar-shaped logo belt buckle...
the Aurora Monkeemobile model...i wonder what that's worth now...
it likely became a fence post target.
i did manage to keep hold of my superman,
batman models.

i have "pleasant valley sunday" on my 60's rockola jukebox.
great tune, relevant as ever.
that song was probably one of the reasons i became a hippie
and a musician.

:rockband:

kirk

moses
02-06-2006, 12:59 PM
Keep in mind that I didn't have much musical, concert, or other experiences in the 70's other than elementary school.

Influence to become a musician: God
Influence to become a guitarist: Steve Howe
1st Album purchased with own money: 90125
1st Concert(that I recall): Dizzy Gillespie
1st Album to blow me away 60's: In Search of the Lost Chord (Moody Blues)
1st Album to blow me away 70's: Close To the Edge (Yes)
1st Album to blow me away Fusion: Birds of Fire (Mahavishnu Orchestra)
Best Concerts: ABWH, Neil Young(with Sonic Youth), Schleigho in Morgantown WV, King Crimson at HORDEfest (six-piece), King Crimson (four-piece, Level Five tour), Charlie Hunter Trio, Kansas (with Kerry Livgren)

KeithieW
02-06-2006, 05:05 PM
Influence to become a musician: Beethoven - I still can't play a note!!!!:hooboy:
1st Album purchased with own money: The Doors - The Doors
1st Concert: Lonnie Donegan
1st Album to blow me away 60's: The Beatles - Rubber Soul
1st Album to blow me away 70's: Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick
1st Album to blow me away Fusion: Miles Davis - Bitches Brew
1st Album to blow me away Electronic: Walter (later Wendy) Carlos - Switched on Bach
Best 70's Concerts: Moody Blues, Jethro Tull, Yes, Genesis, PFM, ELP, Hawkwind...........man, too many great moments to list.

As for Still rockin' after all these years............I want to still be doing it right up to the day I say "Hi Mr Maker my names Keithie". We all should 'cos "Those are the:rulez: "

teermin8r
02-06-2006, 08:13 PM
Influence to become a musician: Elton John (took 3 years of piano lessons, didn't stick with it)
1st Album purchased with own money: Elton John - Honky Chateau
1st Concert: Kiss 1976
1st Album to blow me away 60's: Iron Butterfly - In-a-gadda-da-vida
1st Album to blow me away 70's: King Crimson - Red
1st Album to blow me away Fusion: Frank Zappa - Apostrophe
1st Album to blow me away Electronic: Brain Salad Surgery - ELP
Best 70's Concerts: The Who - 1976 The Who by Numbers tour (Keith Moon), Texxas Jam 1978 (documentary due this year)
Best 80's Concerts: Supertramp - Breakfast in America Tour 1981, Ozzy Osbourne w/Randy Rhoads- Diary of a Madman tour, The Who's Last 1982, A Flock of Seagulls/Go-Go's 1982
Best 90's Concerts: Steve Miller Band ?, The Who - 25th Ann. Quadrophenia, St. Louis 1998
Best 00's Concerts: Los Trios Marillos - San Fran Sept. '05, Ian Anderson - Rubbing Elbows tour 2004, Billy Idol 2005

Band I've always wanted to see but haven't - Yes. I have tickets to see them twice, but both shows ended up cancelled.

Rick and Roll
02-06-2006, 08:53 PM
Influence to become a musician: Dave Clark 5
1st Album purchased with own money: Beach Boys-Live
1st Concert: Herman's Hermits

ok I'll play...

1st album purchased with own money...not sure. Maybe Elton John, Earth Wind & Fire, Thin Lizzy, Rush. I really don't know..
1st Concert: Jethro Tull/UK, 1979. John Glascock recently died, Dave Pegg replaced. Drunk kid threw up in someone's har three rows away during flute solo:rofl:

60's record: Abbey Road, any Jefferson Airplane
70's record: all of them!
Fusion: RTF Romantic Warrior
Concerts: I don't know I'm up in the 400's. I would ansew this but I did in another thread...gotta find that...but I only saw one concert in the 70's:(
Ask Fremder..he's seen everyone!

yorksrvc
02-07-2006, 08:12 AM
I enjoy reading all of these. I guess I'm trying to determine roots vs. present favorites. I hear SO many stlyes of Prog here, some I like and some that's still TOO weird for me. I can usually find something in all music I hear.....I guess this goes back to the recent "thread" about What's liked best in prog. Thanks for the responses, again, I enjoy satisfying curiosity........AND....I'm not a cat.:LOL:

mossy
02-07-2006, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by yorksrvc
Influence to become a musician: Dave Clark 5
1st Album purchased with own money: Beach Boys-Live
1st Concert: Herman's Hermits

I love these things.

Influence to become a musician...I'm not one. Took flute in school.
1st concert: Led Zeppelin, Rockpile Toronto. 1969
1st album purchased with own money: Beatles - White Album. I was 11 and it took ages to save up.
1st album tbma 60's - Beatles White Album
1st album tbma 70's - Genesis Selling England by Pound
1st album tbma fusion - Ponty - Aurora. Also Osibisa - Heads, although I suppose that's more "world" music
1st album tbma electronic - Was never really into it
Best concerts 70's - I remember Supertramp, Genesis and Heart.

ricb
02-08-2006, 10:28 AM
Influence to become a musician: My Dad
1st Album purchased with own money: Iron Butterfly - In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida
1st Concert: Santana & Eric Clapton, same billing
1st Album to blow me away 60's: Iron Butterfly - In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida (I was 9, 1968)
1st Album to blow me away 70's: Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick
1st Album to blow me away Fusion: Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds of Fire
1st Album to blow me away Electronic: never was my bag - although I liked Tangerine Dream. That genre has never 'blown me away' I guess.
Best 70's Concerts: Ten Years After, Rush, Yes, Kansas, Genesis, Rainbow

Wojtek
02-08-2006, 10:33 AM
Influence to become a musician: The Beatles, ELO, Queen and Rush - during childhood these four were one after one my favourite bands and progressing from one to another I was starting to compose own stuff
1st Album purchased with own money: The Beatles - Please Please Me (first CD bought was Rush - Permanent Waves)
1st Concert: Porcupine Tree
1st Album to blow me away 60's: The Beatles - Abbey Road
1st Album to blow me away 70's: Rush - Hemispheres
1st Album to blow me away Electronic: I'm not sure if I'd call Oldfield's stuff electronic, although it was very inspiring for me. So perhaps Vangelis.
Best 70's Concerts: lol O_o

Yesspaz
02-08-2006, 02:09 PM
Influence to become a musician: Chris Squire
1st Album purchased with own money: Journey - Raised on Radio
1st Concert: Attended dozens with my family when I was too young to know or care what the music was. The first concert I got the impetus to go to - Foreigner
1st Album to blow me away 60's: Abbey Road or The White Album
1st Album to blow me away 70's: Journey - Infinity
1st Album to blow me away 80's: Journey - Frontiers
1st Album to blow me away 90's: The Prayer Chain - Mercury
1st Album to blow me away Electronic: Hydro - Aborigination

yorksrvc
02-08-2006, 07:08 PM
I REALLY do enjoy this reading. Everybody's past brings up more memories of my own. The "good ones".........don't remember having any "bad ones"........yea, right!!! anyway, there sure are many Beatles and Genesis fans here and if I HAD to pick 2, they would be "them". Real good english,huh!?!?!? I can't tell you how many times I've Thanked GOD for my life and HE definately deserves the THANKS for Guidance. Keep on writing thoughts and if you have any other catagories, add 'em in. I'm thinking of adding one: The worst influence on the moon..let me see.??????? Sharc, wojtek, mossy,rickandroll,keithie w,mailotron,nadina.......y'all keep hittin' me in the pocket book...........AND!!!!........I LOVE IT!!!! Oh!! BTW, Kirk.ya still got your "Monkee Shirt".......COOL!!! I wish I still had my silver sparkle shoes, with 1 1/2" red sparkle soles<SP>and 3" heels.......THEY were COOL!!! HEY!! How about THAT for a thread.....What were the weirdest clothes you wore???........AND!!! Thought you were REALLY cool in?!?!?

Michael
02-08-2006, 07:50 PM
1st Album purchased with own money-Was 2 Kansas-Point of No return and Rush 2112.
1st Album to blow me away 70's-Led Zepplin Houses of the Holy(let it be known I was Born in 69 and it was my Brother that played the hell out of it and I can't forget all the Sweet he use to Play to)
1st Album to blow me away 80's-Very Easy It was Marillion Script for a Jesters Tear.
First Concert was at the Cleveland Agora in 1983 to see what yea Know Marillion with my Brother(They Played some Fugazi as well there)Been a fan to this day.
1st Album to blow me away 90's-Spock's Beard-The Light

I must say being the youngest of 4 kids i had My fill of Good music and im very grateful i did.I must be a Child of he 70's :)

KeithieW
02-09-2006, 02:48 AM
What were the weirdest clothes you wore???........AND!!! Thought you were REALLY cool in?!?!?
Hmmmmm!

Michael said that he listened to a lot of "Sweet" via his brother, weeelllllllllll......

When I was 16, I used to own (and wear) a Sky Blue Satin suit. It had the high waist band (could never wear one of those again for physical not mental reasons), 22inch flares, 6 inch round lapels on the jacket and I used to wear it with a frilly fronted winged collared shirt and stack healed snakeskin effect knee high boots. :hand:

In those days I had hair a la Robert Plant (maybe longer) and thought I looked GREAT!!!!!!

Thinking back, though, I was always alone at school discos and that may be the reason I changed to wearing a pair of purple velvet Loon pants, Short Kaftan, Combat jacket and wide brimmed Green felt hat.

Funnily enough I was still alone at school discos.`-((

I'm very sorry to tell you that no photographs exist of this era so you will have to imagine it yourselves. :knowing:

yorksrvc
02-09-2006, 04:43 AM
THAT!!! Was HILARIOUS!!! Unfortunately.....I can picture it......AND!!! .......I can picture, thinking you were cool:LOL:
I used to wear leisure suits, when I played in a 70's - 9 peice "disco-soul" band. WHEW!!! Average White Band, The Commodores, KC and the Sunshine Band and Earth, Wind, and Fire were..........IT!!! I also had dark green satin pants and a green velvet zipper jacket, with a wide collar, that I wore with my silver shoes. (The jacket had gold and silver sequin dragons on each side of the zipper) Who was I?!?!?? Oh!......and the jacket was only zippered up about 2-3 inches, to expose my boney, hairless chest. Hey! All I can say now is............shake, shake, shake...shake your BOOTY!!!:rockband:

Wojtek
02-09-2006, 08:00 AM
In those days I had hair a la Robert Plant (maybe longer) and thought I looked GREAT!!!!!!

Thinking back, though, I was always alone at school discos and that may be the reason I changed to wearing a pair of purple velvet Loon pants, Short Kaftan, Combat jacket and wide brimmed Green felt hat.

Indeed that was probably matter of clothes as when I saw Keithie's photo from..well... I think beginning of 90's, Keithie was more than surrounded by girls in Hawaian wear. They seemed to be very happy. So did KW. :D :yougo

sharcnorris
02-09-2006, 06:19 PM
Influence to become a musician: Ray Manzarik, Rod Argent(Zombie era)
1st tune learned on my Farfisa. For your Love, Light My Fire, Time of the seasons, In da-gadda
1st Album purchased with own money:60's Best of Albums, Kinks, Hermans Hermits, Mamas and papas, Stones Big Hits( I was 14)
1st Concert:Vanilla Fudge at Our High School, Jimi's purple Haze with Soft Machine
1st Album to blow me away 60's: My older brother Had each Beatle Album as it came out, so I was Primed for Prog. Early 60's, Ethel Smith, Lional Hampton ,Buddy Rich. Middle 60's, I used to detach the speakers of the phonograph and set them as earphones on my pillow to Magical Mystery Tour, Spirit, Family that plays together, Who and Guess Who. 1969...,1st Led, Yes, ELP, Abby road and the biggy in my Prog Life , In the Court of the Crimson King!!!!!!!!!
1st Album to blow me away 70's:Trilogy, Meddle, Nursery Crime
1st Album to blow me away Fusion: Return to Forever, , National Health, D.C. al coda
1st Album to blow me away Electronic:Vangelis, Heaven and Hell, Larry Fast,Slaughter House
Best 70's Concerts:Lamb Lies Down, Topograghic. G.G. and Focas one Halloween night. Free Elp in a Boston Park!! so many...........:bang!:

KeithieW
02-09-2006, 06:46 PM
Indeed that was probably matter of clothes as when I saw Keithie's photo from..well... I think beginning of 90's, Keithie was more than surrounded by girls in Hawaian wear. They seemed to be very happy. So did KW. :D :yougo
So tell me Woj...............where did you see that photo from????? As if I didn't-bloody well-know :rofl:

Ho Ho Ho!!!! I think the Rum punch might have been a factor there. Maybe that piccie should go into this thread under the heading "Clothes you wore and thought you looked cool in". :notsure:

VAX...........over to you my friend.

yorksrvc
02-09-2006, 07:01 PM
I wanna see that pic!!!
Sharc.......1st song I learned to play on guitar....GLORIA!!!
then.....HOUSE OF THE RISING SON!!!
Song I played the most as a street hippie.....
Heroin - Velvet Underground
IIIII, don't know, just where I'm goin'........
but when I put that spike into my vein....blah,blah,blah

sharcnorris
02-09-2006, 07:32 PM
Sharc.......1st song I learned to play on guitar....GLORIA!!!

lol, Gloria and Satisfaction Don't Count!!!!House of the Rising Sun for sure, and I Always played Whiter Shade of pale with parents around. I picture you doing the bass part of TEN YEARS AFTER ,Going Home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!8-q

Michael
02-10-2006, 01:12 AM
Hmmmmm!

Michael said that he listened to a lot of "Sweet" via his brother, weeelllllllllll......

When I was 16, I used to own (and wear) a Sky Blue Satin suit. It had the high waist band (could never wear one of those again for physical not mental reasons), 22inch flares, 6 inch round lapels on the jacket and I used to wear it with a frilly fronted winged collared shirt and stack healed snakeskin effect knee high boots. :hand:

I'm very sorry to tell you that no photographs exist of this era so you will have to imagine it yourselves. :knowing:

Whats funny i think you and my bro could hang out :).Whats even more Funny is i have Pic's of all of us dressed up in white bells(Not just ME the whole family on Vaction in Florida in 1977)My father looked like a used car salesman and well i get a kick out of it when i pull em out when i go to my parents house.But honestly i would't trade it for anything i really had a great time growing up in the 70 and even the 80's then the 90's came and i had to pay my own bill's:LOL:I remember lots of things from that time thou i was kind of young.

KeithieW
02-17-2006, 03:23 AM
I wanna see that pic!!!

Well yorks.........your wish is my command. I just know I'm gonna regret this ;)

http://hometown.aol.com/KeithieW/Keithie+at+rest.jpg

roger
02-17-2006, 05:29 AM
priceless.

:D

yorksrvc
02-17-2006, 05:45 AM
Keithie............LUCKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup: "THAT" is a GREAT start to my day!!!

Rick and Roll
02-17-2006, 07:07 AM
I love the caption..."Keithie at Rest". My man, if I was in those shoes (and those hideous RED socks):shootmeno I'd be anything but AT REST:thumbsup:

kirk
02-17-2006, 12:41 PM
those ladies looked fine w/o alchohol goggles!
KW, that's cruiseship attire at it's....best?

re: "g-l-o-r-i-a"...we should also add "louie,louie", "secret agent man",
and here's one for you garage-banders- "little black egg".
remember that one? "my little black egg w/ the little white specks.."

k

sharcnorris
02-17-2006, 04:09 PM
twin orbs to the left of me....twin orbs to the right,
which ever way I turn...
I know it will be allright.........

mossy
02-17-2006, 07:21 PM
Thought you were quoting from Steeler's Wheel for a moment there, Sharc.

Speaking of oldies...heard Thunderclap Newman again the other day.

Call out the instigator
Because there's something in the air
We've got to get together sooner or later
Because the revolutions here

Not that this has anything to do with this thread...

:yougo

mossy
02-17-2006, 07:25 PM
K...love the strategically placed inflatable plastic soap dishes :p

and aren't you enjoying yourself!

kirk
02-17-2006, 07:34 PM
i've been thinking of that aerosmith tune...what is it....
...."Cheney's got a gun!" :bang!:

kirk

Andyyyy
02-22-2006, 12:07 AM
Influence to become a musician: Hmmm, younger brother doing it first
1st Album purchased with own money: one of the Beach Boys or Jan & Dean LPs
1st 45 purchased for 75 cents (that was 3 weeks of allowance!): I get around- Beachboys
1st Concert: Either CTA or Elton John
1st Album to blow me away 60's: CTA
1st Album to blow me away 70's: Genesis Trick of the Tail, but must mention Gentle Giant, Yes and many others which blow me away to this day
1st Album to blow me away Fusion: Mahavishnu Orch- Visions of an Emerald Beyond
1st Album to blow me away Electronic: ???????
Best 70's Concerts: Gentle Giant, Jean-Luc Ponte

Darksider415
02-22-2006, 03:52 AM
Inspiration to become a musician: Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd and the shiny buttons on the clarinet.
Inspiriation to become a clarinetist: The shiny, silver keys...
First album purchased with own money: Jethro Tull - Aqualung
First concert I didn't play in: The USAF band thing. God, I can't remember the name of the Air Force concert band, but it's good.
1st Album to blow me away 60s: The Beatles - whatever album "Elanor Rigby" is on. (If I misspelled it, remember that I'm writing this at 4 AM)
1st Album to blow me away 70s: Jethro Tull - Aqualung
1st Album to blow me away 80s: YES - 90215
1st Album to blow me away 90s: Spock's Beard - Day for Night
1st Album to blow me away 00s: The Tangent - The Music that Died Alone (currently playing in Audion)
1st exposure to Prog: Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick

Yesspaz
02-22-2006, 11:46 AM
Eleanor Rigby is on Revolver.

Rick and Roll
02-22-2006, 12:31 PM
Eleanor Rigby is on Revolver.

Mine's on Sgt Pepper's :headscrat

KeithieW
02-22-2006, 03:06 PM
What kind of weird pressing have you got there Rick?

E. Rigby is on every copy of Revolver I have but on none of the Sgt. Peppers.

Rick and Roll
02-22-2006, 05:27 PM
What kind of weird pressing have you got there Rick?

E. Rigby is on every copy of Revolver I have but on none of the Sgt. Peppers.

Since Spaz has to go to the library to use the computer, he couldn't respond...

I know it's on Revolver, I was kind of hoping he'd reply...(8-D

Yesspaz
02-23-2006, 11:55 AM
no it's not. You want me to quote the song list from each album, right now, off the top of my head? Dare me!8-q

Rick and Roll
02-23-2006, 01:10 PM
no it's not. You want me to quote the song list from each album, right now, off the top of my head? Dare me!8-q

I know...see my earlier post...

and I know you can..good to see you back.