PDA

View Full Version : Nearfest 2006

Rick and Roll
06-26-2006, 06:24 PM
The OFFICIAL thread of all things Nearfest!

Pile on! :dogpile:

Rick and Roll
06-26-2006, 07:18 PM
Due to the fact that there seems to be time limit on posting and I am wordy, I'll do this in stages....

I reconnected with some old dear friends at Nearfest, and met and re-met many Moonies...and we all able to get together (friends & moonies) Sunday PM at the Brew works for dinner. And of course the people I see at the shows locally and at the festivals each year. Such a fun gathering, always a whirlwind.

It was great to see Moses and his friend (Bill? hope I got that right) again. Moses happened to be sitting next to Jeff, the best man at my wedding (cue the small world theme).

Met Sean McFee at his CD table. I commented on the Toubadou CD and said "I heard this on Aural Moon" and it's great...he says "oh who are you"...it was funny. It was Sean's show I heard it on, too! So hopefully I got Sean introduced to all of the the Moonie contingent. We may have all not known it was him, until he got introduced before the Emerson show. That would have been odd!

Met Roger Lee for the first time, A very caustic yet funny and engaging man. Nadina in from CA was great to see again, and of course Jim and his brother:thumbsup: Brian and Martha and Kris, official photographers and all around good eggs (well maybe not Kris:notsure: )

And I was incredibly pleased to finally meet Davin (Avian) and Karen (the voice of gardenkren lol), two really nice people. Karen had a medical scare on Sat PM, but I'll leave that for Avian to explain. And of course Tom Gagliardi I saw again.

Staying at the main hotel, I was able again to meet some of the artists in informal settings. While not to the extent of Matthew Parmenter's riveting Barry Manilow conversations, it was all good fun. Ray, Tom, and Chris from Echolyn, Roger Dean, and Dennis Chambers (man has tree trunks for arms) to name a few. I scared Cameron Hawkins by saying in a loud voice as he was checking in, "I heard they cancelled Nearfest, I guess FM will be booked in another 20 years".

Rick and Roll
06-26-2006, 07:31 PM
The Tony Levin band was excellent. I'd seen Levin with CGT, Upper Extemeties, Gabriel, Crimson, but never fronting his band. He had his brother Pete on keys, and the great Jerry Marotta drumming (and singing on Back in NYC and On The Air). Jesse gress was on guitars, and was an outstanding musician. And Larry Fast was back to help out. The final number was everyone in a circle singing "Don't Give Up". it was a magic moment.

I especially liked Elephant Talk and Phobos. A fine opener.

Hatfield and the North was riveting. They said they'd never played in America! Richard Sinclair still has the smoothest voice. His "goodbye, see you later, thanks for coming out" last song was great (he sings those words + some others like it the whole song).

I'm a much bigger fan of National Health, at least I finally got to see Pip Pyle and Phil Miller, two of my heroes. I'm sure a lot less flashy than in 1974, but I took what I could get.

Rick and Roll
06-26-2006, 07:42 PM
KBB was just tehnically, musically, and sonically perfect. Amazing musicians, I was especially taken by the drumming of Shirou Sugano. (I think he was wearing a Scout uniform!). All weekend, I was incredibly pleased with the drumming. That was my highlight of Nearfest.

They could play melodies and jam in a moment's notice. Brilliant interludes between sections,

Akiihisa Tsuboy's violin playing defies description. He can do anything. The bassist was just introduced as "Dani"...As with Kenso last year, it's always engaging to see the Japanese artist thank the crowd in English..the effort and passion is very heartfelt.

Riverside was awesome, just awesome. Piotr Grudzinski's guitar was rapturopus (is that a word? it is now). Later I asked him if he knew our man Wojtek. if he did, he was too drunk to know. They had the room next to mine and certainly enjoyed themselves.

Again, powerhouse drumming. the highlight was Mariusz Duda's vocals. The only issue was his ending vocal passages with "auugghhrighhht". A bit much after the fourth time. But that man can sing.

Got to hear a bit of the soundcheck through the doors (it was the title cut of SLS). That song, all 15 minutes of it was perfect. Great show!

Regrettably I missed Richard Leo Johnson. He started too close to Riverside, and I needed a break. By the time i got around to going back it was too late. Hope someone can fill us in.

FM was great. I'm still numb - although I saw them many times over the weekend I still can't believe that they played! Me and my college friends were apeshit over FM. It was such forward music. I like them so much I forgive them for those two god-awful releases, "Tonight" and "Contest".

Started out with a new song, a fun jam. Then Phasors on Stun, the great Black Noise song. Wow. More Black Noise songs...One O'Clock Tomorrow, Journey, Slaughter In Robot Village (outstanding!) and Aldeberan. The title cut came later in the set. Glad thay hit that record hard. Off of Surveillance they played Shapes of Things (the yardbirds song), and Sofa Back (has the great line "Moe Larry Cheese" in it). I was hoping for some of the better cuts like Random Harvest and Destruction but I never get disappointed anymore about set selection. It's counterproductive.

And of course, one of my top 10 favorite songs ever Seventh Heaven. If wasn't such a goof (joking with Cameron Hawkins, see other post), I would have told him how much i like that song. It hits me perfect...I told my friend after the song..."kill me now, I'm satisfied"...he had thoughts....

They only played one City of fear cut, but it was the closer...Surface To Air - what a happy great song. That was a perfect sendoff. Sure made up for that dreadful newer song they did in the middle of the set. It was like 8-9 minutes too!

The only other beef was that Claudio Vena, while competent, didn't sing. Hawkins had to do too much himself and songs suffered from it, especially One O'Clock. Vena's violin work was superb, and the electric mandolin was somewhat choppy but pleasing. But I quibble.

Although slower obviosly with age, Martin Deller (along with Barriemore Barlow) is my favorite technician on the drum kit.

Finally, it pains me to say this, because a) they're one of my favorite bands and live acts and b) Day One was shaping up to be the best day ever, but Ozric Tentacles was disappointing.

A bit of history...Ever since Joie Hinton left in the early 90's they've had a succession of keyboardists who just dabble and make goofy noises. Seaweed, Harry Waters, to name a few. they bring nothing to the table. It's the creativity and electricity of Ed's guitar, the fun of John, and the propulsive bass/drums that make Ozrics the best live acts.

None of that was present, save for the fiery rhythm section. And that's what I tried to focus on for the show. It's always good. But damnit, Brandi Wynne making silly noises and giggling was annoying! She did do a good job on Sunscape, and powerful cuts like Jurassic Shift and Snakepit cover her. But without John to distract you, she's just an eyesore.

The fact that they are great at small clubs is another drawback. Some bands thrive in that atmosphere, like Tunnels...and conversely do not translate well to large indoor venues.

Please believe me when I say my that with the proper line-up they are unparalled live. My worst fears were confirmed about Nearfest. On the last release "Spirals In Hyperspace" they went for a jazzier sound. I think that would have worked better here. But Ed just wanted to jam out, and he is an outstanding musician and too good for that. Also please remember that they are on tour, and played the night before in Baltimore at a smaller hall. they're just not built anymore for Nearfest. A damn shame. Also, they played most everything too loud and monochromatic.

I did sit through the show...and for me Ozrics seen is better than not. To sum it up, someone yelled "Play Kick Muck"...Ed said "We just played it!". That says it all....

Rick and Roll
06-26-2006, 08:20 PM
Guapo is not my cup of tea. But I enjoyed them when I did not look at them. Their music is so noisy and unchanging that by closing your eyes, you can pick out intricacies better. I again concentrated on the drummer, who was excellent. never seen anyone play a gong more different ways.

The guitarist had not played with them before, and was told just to "make noise" (I got this infor from Luis Nasser of Sonus Umbra). It showed. I found him incrdible annoying, especially the 5-minute note he held that destroyed my equilibrium for an hour.

All that said, they were well received. I can't knock that.

Another weird thing was two of them walking around the crowd playing a paino-type woodwind and the drummer also walking around bankin a symbol behind people's heads for 10 minutes. I wonder how they sit around and think of this stuff.

I like what the keyboardist said...he took a picture of the crowd about 1/2 way through and said "Now I can have a full picture before everyone leaves":rofl:

Michael manring was excellent. He was more mellow that I'd seen him (with MMS) and very appreciative. Pulled off a solo bass performance very well. had some sweet mellow songs, and on the heavier stuff was his usual killer self.

Ange, I never got into their records. But live they were great! The music, first and foremost, was superb. Their second song had an acoustic start and went into a jam straight out of the 70's. Some macigally written pieces, and when they wanted to, they could really rock out. Hassan Hajdi was amazing on guitar. And again...broken record here..the bass and drums were outstanding. Highlight was the showmanship of singer, keys, and acoustic guitarist Christian Decamps. He's a stocky man...along with Caroline Crozat's vocals, belly dancing, and sleazy demeanor, picture a French version of Meatloaf, and you get the idea here. Once you looked past the amusing antics (the dominatrix dog bone scene was hilarious, and the reference to her crotch as "hell" was addling), the musicianship was first class.

Finally, the vocal at the end by main keyboardist Tristan Decamps was amazing and operatic, and unexpected...he'd not sung lead to that point. He was excellent.

I expected great things from Niacin. They surpassed them! I'd seen Billy Sheehan with Mr. Big way back when and last year with Vai and McAlpine. That was an orgy of over the top playing. I was excited to see him with a band that could keep him in check, while enabling him to go nuts. He sat down the whole show! I've seen Berlin, Hamm, etc and nobody touches the things he does on a bass. Words don't describe him adequately.

John Novello is amazing. he has some electric piano moments, but mostly B3. With the other two, you don't focus on him, but he does some frightengly amazing things. He's fast and tight.

Dennis Chambers hits the drums with such force, yet is always on time. Never misses, never. His kit was moving so much it reminded me of Pangea!

That band never had to look at each other, just to say "1234"....tight!

Keith Emerson also exceeded expectations..he gets his own post!

Rick and Roll
06-26-2006, 08:47 PM
I didn't come into this show with any preconceptions, althogh he's been touring. I was blown away by his casual stories, his still sharp technical ability, the band, and especially the arrangements. I love it when songs are played differently, it keeps them fresh.

The band was top-shelf. Drummer Pete Riley and Bassist Phil Williams were solidly spectacular spectacular (sorry couln't help it). Marc Bonilla is a great musician. He sings, plays guitar, and arranges songs incredibly well. He was cited by Emerson as the catalyst for digging out some old gems, and arranging them so that Emerson could want to play them again.:thumbsup:

Karn Evil 9 # 1 Part Two was just ok...Last time I could say that, the remaining show was killer.

From The Beginning, with acoustic piano and guitar only was amazing! Lucky Man was done such that it was bombastic yet fresh. A Nice song, Dylan's "Country Pie", was homespun yet proggy. Living Sin was dug out from the vaults...what a great heavy song. Bitches Crystal was another surprise..one of my favorite piano leads, and he didn't disappoint. Opened with Piano Concerto from Works. Touch and Go was excellent. Did a number that I thought was Romeo and Juliet from Black Moon but I think I'm wrong there.

Did a Marc Bonilla solo number that has just killer guitar work. Bonilla told a funny story of when Emerson saw Bonilla in a club, watched him play and approached him to collaborate on his song he was playing. So Bonilla got a big laugh when he said "I took him under my wing"...

Emerson told a story about meeting heroes, but was disappointed with Jimmy Smith. An odd story of how he grabbed Emerson's balls.....his repartee between songs was funny.

Also played America, Fanfare, Hoedown...no Pirates but hey...Nutrocker closed the set.

And lastly, all of Tarkus. Done brilliantly by the whole band. It was awesome! The lead guitar in Battlefield...damn. Tarkus is a great piece of music. Having a separate guitar and bass really added to the music.

Rob LaDuca (original Nearfest organizer) was telling us this morning about how Emerson was humbled by getting carpal tunnel - and how he's greatful to still be playing at his age.

He was so good. And how do you play standing on the other side of the keyboard? (He did that on a part of one song).

OK, I think that covers it!

Roger -Dot- Lee
06-26-2006, 09:24 PM
What would be a Nearfest 2006 thread if Dr. Dot didn't weigh in? Especially considering he was there?

Well, quieter, if nothing else.

Alas, it isn't to be.

Dr. Dot's view of NearFest 2006.

First, let me say that it was wonderful meeting each and every last one of you. Yes, Rick, even you. :D

I won't bore the assembled with minutae involving a 1/2 mile long line for Security at ATL (and that's no exageration, either). I shall only say that it speaks very well of the TSA at Atlanta that they were able to plough through that line in 15 minutes, one end to the other.

I hopped on the Delta bird and made my way up to Philly. I surprised Vax in that I was actually on time (well, Delta was on time -- I had very little to do with this rare occurance), and got to chatting with some of the locals. I was surprised at the kindness and openness (in their own way) of Philly natives. They're quick with a laugh and quite down to earth. I could get to like these people very easily. I will have to make it up there some time to just rub elbows with the locals. They have the humor and no-nonsense aura of New York without the abrasiveness and nastiness.

But I digress. Or have you noticed?

Anyway, meeting the wonderous Vaxman and the Lovely Martha was a wonderful way of starting this adventure. After having kvetched about Billyware and working together to get any number of projects up and running together, it was outstanding to finally meet in person. I'd say that Martha's too good for him, but a) he already knows this, b) so does she, and c) neither of them seem to mind. If I could only be so lucky. Anyway, Kris, good natured kid that he is (must get his temperment, like his looks, from Mom :D ) was also a pleasure to be around. His only flaw that I spotted was his case of "Interruptus-whenus-others-of-us-are-talkingus" -- a very common condition that afflicts the young. Fortunately, he shows all the signs of outgrowing it in due course. Polite, witty, intelligent, and girlfriend-encumbered. All that we can expect from someone his age and more. Good job on that one, Vax and Mrs. Vax!

Oh, and Vax: pass the word to Kris, if you would please:

Buck up, boy, or we'll make you sit next to Rick.

(inside joke, #117b).

Oh, and I fully expect to see Kevin joining us as he grows up. He is his father's son, in all possible ways. Whether you should rejoice or fear depends entirely upon the reader. Personally, I see it to be a good thing.

Anyway, the five of us made our merry way to an Irish pub somewhere in Philly. Good grub and good company was had by one and all. I'll fast forward to the trip to The Venue(TM), glossing over the rather uneventful trip (Aside to Vax: tell Ma I made it in one piece. :D ). After room checking-in and baggage-dumping-off had been successfully executed, we made our way to the Comfort Suites to meet up with other Moon types. This is where I first met up with Rick. I must say, he was very much what I expected him to be. Next to arrive was He Who Started It All, Mr. Davin Flateau and his Lovely Wife, Karen. They're both as nice as I am abrasive, and I love them both dearly.

But enough of this silliness. On to my assessment of the shows on Friday night.

Tony Levin and co. tore the place down. Left it a smoking ruin. Went up one side, back down the other, and left nothing in between untouched.

The entire thing was out of control. He did things with Electric Cellos, fretless bass guitars, and Chapman Stick(TM)age that were illegal in at least 12 states (and possibly in the District of Colombia as well). The entire set had life. It moved. It rocked. It was technically challenging without being pretentious.

Hatfield and the North, who I (and others) thought was actually the leadoff band and not the headliner. I personally felt this to be a reversal of The Way Things Ought To Be. Musically, they were quite clean. This was to be expected, however, since, in my opinion, their music wasn't very challenging, technically. But moreso because they spent more time looking at one another for cues than actually playing for the audience. One of the first thing one learns when doing their Jr. High School drama club play is that one does not turn one's back to the audience. The only member of Hatfield and the North that followed this rule was the drummer (who really couldn't turn unless he turned his entire set). Now if their music was so mind-blowingly complex that this type of attention and setting was necessary, one could understand it. But it really wasn't. It was little more than slightly more complex than average Canturbury-ish prog. Nothing to write home about. Arguably the weakest band of the show. I could have accomplished exactly what was done by sitting at home and listening to their CDs.

But then, I didn't go on Friday to see them. I went to see Tony Levin who, as I said earlier, ripped the joint apart and left little more than a smouldering shell.

Anyway, during Hatfield, probably during their third song, I'd about had enough and went out into the lobby. I found Vax and we ended up talking with a small group. I kvetched for a bit about Hatfield, and one of the ladies in the group seemed to be fishing for a compliment for Tony. I made it abundantly clear that I certainly wasn't here for Hatfield, and that THE reason I came up from Atlanta a day early was to see Tony. He did not disappoint. As the conversation went on, we discussed computers, synthesizers, and history and the like. The guy looked awful familiar, but I couldn't place the face. He wandered over and had a few words with Tony Levin (I was waiting for him to free up so I could shake his hand and thank him for the wonderful job he and the gang did), and I took a quick look at the program. Yep, the guy Vax and I were talking to was none other than Larry Fast, synth of Tony's band (and the lady was, I believe, his wife/girlfriend).

This illustrates a recurring theme within the entire Nearfest experience, and (as I found) prog in general. Would something like that happen with Spittney 'nArrears? Or any of the other Plastic Pop Princesses out there? Mathematically speaking, I believe the chances of that happening could be summed up thus:

diddly
-------- = chance of that happening with Plastic Pop
squat

Anyway, that's about it for Friday night. I received a call from Tom Gagliardi making damn sure I'd made it up here (or he'd do some rather nasty things to my person when we DID meet -- I assured him I'd made it in one piece and we'd get together tomorrow). I also received a note from Nadina letting me know she'd made it in one piece, found the accomodations, and was looking forward to things tomorrow.

All in all, Friday Just Didn't Suck. Quite the contrary. There were a few bad things (some not even related to Nearfest), but overall, any expectations I'd had were either met, wildly exceeded, or demolished with extreme prejudice.

Next: Saturday, or "Wow. How the HELL did they manage to do THAT with ONLY ten fingers and ONLY ONE INSTRUMENT?!?"

Roger -Dot- Lee
06-26-2006, 09:44 PM
Regrettably I missed Richard Leo Johnson. He started too close to Riverside, and I needed a break. By the time i got around to going back it was too late. Hope someone can fill us in.

If I may take a swing at this...

Mr. Johnson, the solo act from Saturday, was what I had in mind when I ended up my previous post the way I did. It was theorized that he actually had a third hand (with not only the five normal fingers but two additional ones as well) attached somewhere, though it was never proven and any photographic evidence has since been quashed by the US Department of State.

His musical gymnastics were very much on par with the theme of the show, and those who remained for the performance were not disappointed. He proved his virtuosity repeatedly. He tended toward older works (heavily influenced by old blues, ragtime, and the like).

I'll expound in further detail of my personal feelings in my next post. I'm exhausted, however, so y'all will have to wait.

(I know, I can hear the groans of disappointment all the way out here! :D)

Roger -Dot- Lee, coming to a theater near you!

moses
06-27-2006, 02:04 PM
Here's a very brief review of the whole event.

FRIDAY:
THE TONY LEVIN BAND: Very cool and a lot fun. It's interesting that the songs that got the biggest response were the cover tunes, but Tony has some good songs of his own.
HATFIELD AND THE NORTH: I wasn't too familiar with them before this weekend, but they had their own unique sound (which I liked) and they played well. I particularly enjoyed Pip Pyle's drumming.

SATURDAY:
KBB: I had pretty much written off ever getting the opportunity to see these guys, given the fact that they're from Japan and don't tour all that much. I love their music however, and they did not disappoint me one bit in their performance. Excellent!
RIVERSIDE: This was their first performance in America. They put on a good show and provided a heavier show than anyone else there, while not quite going all the way over the line to "prog metal."
RICHARD LEO JOHNSON: I guess he figured with his Fingertip Ship album, the whole "solo acoustic guitar prog" thing had been done, so he moved on to some really impressive and inventive slide guitar playing, and he told us some really entertaining stories along the way.
FM: I also hadn't heard much from these guys until this weekend. I liked the unique instrumentation and they put on a spirited and entertaining performance.
OZRIC TENTACLES: I was also pretty excited to see these guys (and girl!), but I wasn't sure what to expect. They were a lot of fun, what more can I say?

SUNDAY:
GUAPO: Interesting to the fifth power. They were also the only band to use such prog staples as theremin, gong, and ebow guitar. Dark but not angry, and a captivatingly tight performance.
MICHAEL MANRING: Wow! Solo bass guitar - and I think, to be fair, he did use something like a 4-string bass ebow. Very impressive and inspirational playing.
ANGE: I had no idea what to expect from this French outfit, but we were treated to one of the most entertaining and dramatic shows of the weekend. Great playing and interesting songs, even if I couldn't understand the words.
NIACIN: Another "wow" performance. Three virtuosos in one group might seem like too much but they played really well together without anyone hogging the spotlight too much.

Unfortunately I could not stay for the Keith Emerson Band, who I'm sure was also great. But we had a 5-hour drive ahead of us and work in the morning, so we made what was probably a smart choice and went home.

One other thing I'd like to mention was the volume. It was (at least from where I sat) loud enough without being overly loud or painful. I brought earplugs and used them anyway (gotta protect those ears) but I don't think I would have been in bad shape if I hadn't.

I had a great time and wasn't disappointed by any of the performances I saw. What a weekend!

roger
06-27-2006, 02:27 PM
thanks for the great reviews guys!

one of these years...

podakayne
06-27-2006, 04:12 PM
:ditto: what he said

KeithieW
06-27-2006, 07:00 PM
Pah!!!!!!!!

I'm Jealous! Jealous! Jealous! Jealous! Jealous! Jealous! Jealous! Jealous! Jealous! Jealous! Jealous! Jealous! Jealous! Jealous! Jealous! Jealous! Jealous! Jealous! Jealous! Jealous! Jealous! Jealous! Jealous! Jealous! Jealous! Jealous! Jealous! Jealous! Jealous! Jealous! Jealous! Jealous! Jealous! Jealous! Jealous! Jealous! Jealous! Jealous! Jealous! Jealous! Jealous! Jealous! Jealous! Jealous! Jealous! Jealous! Jealous! Jealous! Jealous! Jealous! Jealous! Jealous! Jealous! Jealous! Jealous! Jealous! Jealous! Jealous! Jealous! Jealous! Jealous! Jealous! Jealous! Jealous! Jealous! Jealous! Jealous! Jealous! Jealous! Jealous! Jealous! Jealous!

Dang (that's in defference to Spaz OK? ) You guys had better watch out for when the EU contingent get there next year cos' we will make sure that you realise that the years you have had so far mean diddley squat!!!!!!!!! Do you get my drift????

By the way........I'm SO glad you all had a great time. These reviews make me realise what I've always thought. I love you guys and gals. :) xxxxx

Rick and Roll
06-28-2006, 06:51 AM
With my $8 one-time camera, I got some surprisingly good shots of some Moonies (the brothers Brennan, Nadina, Kris, Dot, Avian, Karen. I'll put these up this week I hope.

(by the way KW, Hatfield was excellent)

looking so forward to the contingent..

Rick and Roll
06-28-2006, 09:01 PM
Thanks to Avian for pointing me in the right direction....here goes...

http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h315/rickandroll/Nearfest%202006/

progdirjim
06-29-2006, 04:11 PM
KBB was just tehnically, musically, and sonically perfect. Amazing musicians, I was especially taken by the drumming of Shirou Sugano. (I think he was wearing a Scout uniform!). All weekend, I was incredibly pleased with the drumming. That was my highlight of Nearfest.
Yes, he was wearing a scout uniform. Troop 347 to be exact (I had a nice seat and could see pretty well.) I'd second Rick comments that there was a lot of good drumming. KBB's drummer was pretty much a straight jazz drummer, and a good one.

Riverside was awesome,
My observation was that Riverside is schizophrenic. They play two styles - a rich, Floydian soundscape with lots of passion - that side I loved. The other style is a HARD rock, and that I was luke-cold on. I found myself getting agitated when they played that style. I noticed a reverse correlation between the number of notes the bass player played and my enjoyment. Fortunately, they seemed to weigh the set a little heavier to the side I enjoyed. I know Nadina echoed Rick's comments and loved all of it.

Regrettably I missed Richard Leo Johnson.
I did NOT miss him. RLJ is unbelievable. Through a combination of unique tunings and incredible virtuosity, he sounds as if two or more guitar players are playing at all times. He was also entertaining with his stories between songs, which my brother and I decided he was making up on the spot. He mentioned he had a nervous breakdown a few years ago, and in order to write and perform music, he now has to create alter egos to function. It's said there's a fine line between genius and insanity, and I think he straddles it consistently. But an amazing talent.

FM was great. I'm still numb <snip>
Although slower obviosly with age, Martin Deller (along with Barriemore Barlow) is my favorite technician on the drum kit.

Everything he said. FM was phenomenal, and Martin Deller is a GREAT and underrated drummer. I'm not convinced he's slowed. The drums were too low in the mix for most of the set. I still don't get your love for seventh heaven - that's a mid-tier song from them for me. Better than City of Fear stuff, but no comparison to Black Noise stuff. Claudio did sing a few times, but I don't think he's comfortable yet. It'll be interesting to see if they tour again with him if he sings more.

Ozric Tentacles was disappointing.
My brother and I walked out after maybe 3 songs. If I wanted to see someone triggering samples, I'd go to a hip-hop show. At least there'd be attractive women there:shootmeno :LOL: :rofl:

progdirjim
06-29-2006, 04:19 PM
Guapo is not my cup of tea. <snip>

Another weird thing was two of them walking around the crowd playing a paino-type woodwind and the drummer also walking around bankin a symbol behind people's heads for 10 minutes. I wonder how they sit around and think of this stuff.
I ws one of the people he gonged. Interesting. Guapo was fascinating to see live, very unique. Not my cup of tea either, but I did enjoy them. The first slot at NF plays for about an hour, and that wasn't too long to enjoy.

Michael manring was excellent. Duh. Another guy where you're looking for the other musicians you think you're hearing. He played a cool "hyperbass" - it has a bunch of levers so he can change tunings on the fly - but allowed for a really rich sound. Good stage presence as well. This year was, by far, the best of the solo spotlights in my opinion.

Ange, I never got into their records. But live they were great!
I'd say about the same as Rick for Ange. Very enjoyable. THe stage antics approached camp at some points, but certainly better than stoicism on stage.

I expected great things from Niacin. They surpassed them!

I saw Niacin a year or so ago in a small club in SD, so knew what they were capable of. I think they were even better at NF - in SD, when I was chatting with Billy afterwards, he told me they were just starting the tour and weren't in the "comfort" zone yet. They were still tight, but at NF it was dialed up a notch. It's pretty incredible when Michael Manring isn't even the best bass player of the DAY, let alone the festival.

progdirjim
06-29-2006, 04:31 PM
Karn Evil 9 # 1 Part Two was just ok My brother and I ALMOST walked out after Karn Evil 9. Bonilla's voice wasn't quite warmed up, he fumbled the outro on one of the leads, and there was a timing glitch from the drummer at one point. Subtle mistakes, but I've seen ELP a bunch of times. Iwas quite dissappointed. Fortunately, as Rick says, they got much better quickly. I too was pleased with the song selection (some gems I've never seen live) and new arrangements.
Did a Marc Bonilla solo number that has just killer guitar work. Bonilla told a funny story of when Emerson saw Bonilla in a club, watched him play and approached him to collaborate on his song he was playing. So Bonilla got a big laugh when he said "I took him under my wing"... I liked the line, after Emerson said "I'd like to play on it" when Bonilla said "So what have you done - is this your first gig?"

Emerson his repartee between songs was funny. This was perhaps the best part of not having Greg Lake - Keith spoke more than I've ever seen him, and while he can be a bit arrogant, he's mostly pretty engaging. Also, Bonilla is a better guitarist than Lake. The vocals weren't bad, but Greg has the edge there.

He was so good. And how do you play standing on the other side of the keyboard? (He did that on a part of one song).
Too bad you haven't seen the whole routine with the hammond, where he stands it on edge, spins the damn thing, and ends up laying on stage, with the Hammond on TOP of him, and he's playing over the top/back of it. I'll have to see if I can find a video of that somewhere - it made what he did at NF seem like child's play!

Rick and Roll
06-29-2006, 04:38 PM
Too bad you haven't seen the whole routine with the hammond, where he stands it on edge, spins the damn thing, and ends up laying on stage, with the Hammond on TOP of him, and he's playing over the top/back of it. I'll have to see if I can find a video of that somewhere - it made what he did at NF seem like child's play!

I have seen that. But I have to give him a pass this time given his age and prior health issues.

Good point about Lake - he's one of my favorite singers. There were signs held up of "Greg who" which wasn't fair to either one of them. Again, the advantage of guitar and bass came through.