PDA

View Full Version : porcupine tree

Rick and Roll
10-11-2006, 11:28 AM
I've been severely pressed for time, but I saw a shout about PT in the box by vax, and thought I'd go ahead and offer up a quick review of the State Theater (in VA, USA) show this past Sunday.

On this tour PT is playing two sets. The first is an hour's worth of unrecorded new material. It's all good, although a bit the same - but that may be because I was unfamiliar with the material. The 18 minute piece is exceptional. Steven Wilson apologized for the new material, he's keenly aware that everyone wants to hear the songs they know. But I thought it was a great idea. Sometimes a band will slip in a new song and you're wondering what it is, only sometimes getting a brief explanation. PT did it in an excellent way.

After a 5 minute break, they came back to "Open Car" from Deadwing, "The Sound of Musak" from In Abstentia (what a great song), and another song about waves that I know by hearing but not the title. Then "Arriving Somewhere but not Here", maybe their best song (as always). I think that and Open Car were the only two from Deadwing, they're not hitting that so hard this time. They really didn't play old songs due to the new material hour...again, ok by me.

After "Trains" I left...I know from reports they played two more songs, and one was "Blackest Eyes". Not sure of the other, could be Deadwing or Hatesong, haven't been able to find out.

About stage presence....theirs is perfect. Some bands jump around, and some sit still...Steven Wilson does quite a bit of jumping around, and John Wesley's too busy filling in all of the missing guitar parts that he has to concentrate :)...he's perfect for Wilson in concert. For their music, it's just right. Some bands like Tull, Strangefish...the singer will get behind the guitarist and air play...that would look quite strange at PT!

Opening was Adrian Belew on drums and Bob Fripp on his usual guitar....Belew had a neat, compact kit tuned into a bass sound...as always, he's a great musician. Fripp was in top form, but one time he ripped off a solo and after a few seconds of no sound, started playing with knobs and controls frantically. He then realized he wasn't plugged in (reboot right?)..gave a sheepish look and went on.

They played about 40 miutes, straight through...lots of smiles, a few bows, but no talking! Seeing Belew with no talking is almost as shocking as seeing me with no talking...

all in all a fun show..but a long ride.

Elric68
10-11-2006, 11:52 AM
Pretty good review, I wrote one about the "Arriving Somewhere" DVD, which is the film for the "Deadwing" tour. A very nice show. I also attended PT on the tour and loved it.

GORT
10-11-2006, 01:49 PM
thanks for the review Rick, I'm seeing them tonite in Hollywood:vaxman:

Rick and Roll
10-11-2006, 02:26 PM
thanks for the review Rick, I'm seeing them tonite in Hollywood:vaxman:

cool! if you can remember what's played between trains and Blackest Eyes in the encore that would be excellent :)

Don't look directly at the bass player..he's quiet and got an evil smirk:hrm: