PDA

View Full Version : P.o.d.

zvinki
05-28-2002, 03:42 PM
Did I read that right? You have added P.O.D. to the rotation!?!?! Isn't that the rap-rock group that's all the rage with the kids?!? And no Tool!?!? Say it ain't so!

Genesis74
05-28-2002, 05:17 PM
My initial reaction was about the same, but I understand a little better after seeing the specific tracks put up. I haven't heard the hidden track (didn't know there was one), but I've listened to the other three, and they all seem like fairly harmless and short instrumentals, not crappy born-again Christian rap-metal. IMHO, I don't know if they really add anything to AM, but they certainly don't detract from the surrounding quality of music. I DO have to wonder who thought of putting them on here, though.

Avian
05-29-2002, 11:02 AM
Just wait 'till we add the Beastie Boys! I've been meaning to add some stuff of theirs for awhile now. :-)

Let the flames begin (and then I will douse them).

Avian

progdirjim
05-29-2002, 10:58 PM
Beastie Boys!? Are you out of your mind? Oh yeah, wait, that's my CD...

progdirjim
06-02-2002, 02:42 AM
"I don't know if they really add anything to AM"

but look at all the activity on the forums - I'd say they've added a LOT to AM...

enjoy....

Yesspaz
06-22-2002, 12:45 AM
I've been away too long...

Adding P.O.D. to the station was not only my idea, but it was I, yes I, the Yesspaz, who sent the four songs in question to Jim, along with other notable adds, such as all the Don Caballero, King Crimson P4 - West Coast Live, the three Journey insts. from Time3, and Audio Adrenaline.

I like lots of different styles of music; I am not limited to progressive rock. When I hear something I think would fit on AM, I file it in the back of my brain, and when the file is full, I go into "file-sharing mode." I like P.O.D.'s 3rd and 4th releases a lot, and the new one, SATELLITE, I like about half of. Now, I am not an idiot. I do not seriously think that AM listeners want to hear rap-metal. But P.O.D. is a much more talented band than the few "radio-friendly" releases suggest. When have you ever heard a band's best material on the radio? They have lots of influences and a good bit of talent. The four instrumentals are solid adds, fitting the sound of AM. Listen to the Hidden Track. Kind of reminds me of '80s KC in a left-field way.

Now, as for the tactless comment about "crappy born-again Christian rap-metal," I must take offense. "Crappy rap-metal" would have been fine. How does the fact that they are Christians have any bearing on their musicianship? It still amazes me that occasionally someone will think, "oh, they're a Christian, that music must stink." Whether someone is a Christian or not has absolutely no bearing on their talent as a musician, artists, writer, or any other matter of that sort. Some people have talent. Some don't. Rather simple.

For example, when Stevie Ray Vaughn died, a writer for Rolling Stone (I think), asked Eric Clapton something like "now that SRV and Hendrix are dead, there's no longer any debate. So how does it feel to be the best guitar player alive." His response? "I don't know, ask Phil Keaggy." What?!! A Christian musician?

Annie Dillard won a Pulitzer in 1975 for PILGRIM AT TINKER CREEK beating many non-Christians. Many non-Christians have won Pulitzers, beating Christians. Level of talent has got nothing to do with Christianity.

Yes, I do admit, there are some horrible Christian rock bands. Their music is stale, overly-preachy, and derivative. Yet, there are hundreds of fantastic Christian rock artists out there. And just like prog, you have to hunt it.

Conversly, I do admit, there are some horrible secular rock bands. Their music is stale, lyrically cliche or pedantic, and derivative. Yet there are hundreds of fantastic secular rock artists out there. Again, you have to hunt for it.

This may not be a well known fact on this board, but I am a Christian. Not only that, I'm a seminary student. I've not started a thread about doctrine or theology or anything of the kind. This is a progressive rock site. It's not the place. Yet, I've not hidden the fact either. My profile lists it all.

My point is, when I, as a music fan, hear music that I think belongs on AM, no matter by whom, I will eventually send it to AM, to share with everyone else, including other Christian artists' select tracks, along with other goodies.

God bless you all, Yesspaz out.

Genesis74
06-23-2002, 02:10 AM
My original comment was "they all seem like fairly harmless and short instrumentals, NOT crappy born-again Christian rap-metal." When I said this, I was describing the general stereotype of the band that everyone at AM seemingly held, and how the 4 songs put on rotation did not fit the stereotype. I NEVER intended to put the message across that Christian music = crap. The only reason I pointed out the fact that P.O.D. were a Christian rock group was because their particular preference of faith seems to have a deep impact on their music and because it is one of their most distinguishing factors.

Yes, there are many bad (http://www.allmusicguide.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=B3q3tk6gx9krd) Christian rock groups. Yes, there are many good Christian rock groups (take Divine In Sight (http://www.divineinsightmusic.net/mp3s.html) , for example, a band that was requested and forgotten awhile ago by a fellow member). I'm not a Christian, but I've listened to this (and other) Christian bands and enjoy their music while appreciating their ability.

When I made my comment, I obviously hit a nerve that I didn't know was there. I am deeply sorry and apologize for any offense, purposeful or not, that I might have caused.

But I still don't like P.O.D. ;)

Yesspaz
06-23-2002, 04:29 PM
Sorry there 74. I guess I came on a little strong there. I didn't mean to you or anyone riled up. I was just expressing the frustration I feel sometimes as a Christian/music fan/musician who occasionally runs into someone who thinks Christian Rock is an oxymoron. Style and substance are two different things.

On a related note, I'm listening to Glisten right now. Man, that's a good Christian band.