PDA

View Full Version : Searching Prog Folk Artists

InvisibleTattoo
02-20-2007, 07:23 AM
A question: I am actually intersted about artists like Den Fule, Tempest, Iona... (a modern mix of prog with folk roots). Can you, prog-expert people, suggest to me other similar artists present in Aural playlist? Very Thanks!

GORT
02-20-2007, 08:57 AM
Like I said in the shoutbox (if you missed it) Strawbs is a GREAT
band to explore if you're not familiar with them;)

mailotron
02-20-2007, 03:28 PM
A question: I am actually intersted about artists like Den Fule, Tempest, Iona... (a modern mix of prog with folk roots). Can you, prog-expert people, suggest to me other similar artists present in Aural playlist? Very Thanks!

Scarlet Thread , contemporary band ( 2 cds known to me) sung in finnish
Armonite , Italian band one cd around 2000/2002, short in length, on mellow records
Dunwich, italian band three cds around 1996/2002 , sung in talianall are dark folk prog imho

Yours
mailo

KeithieW
02-20-2007, 06:58 PM
Definitely listen to "Guy Manning"'s album 'Anser's Tree'.

It's on The Moon and fits in with your needs/wishes perfectly.

I KNOW you will like it.

teermin8r
02-22-2007, 06:40 AM
check out Steve Unruh http://www.steveunruh.com/ he has some sampler songs you can download from his website

Elric68
02-23-2007, 04:40 PM
If you like Iona, the first bands I would suggest is Mostly Autumn (1st period, albums "The Last Bright Light", "For All We Shared", "The Spirit Of Autumn Past", "Passengers", and the related lives, the second period is no folk at all, and I wonder if it's prog) and Karnataka.

Colin Masson also includes lots of folk elements, but sounds more like Mike Oldfield.

Anyways, the band you should try, even if non-prog, is the Waterboys.

podakayne
02-24-2007, 11:13 PM
just stickin my nose in reading this...i checked out your Waterboys elric, very dylanesk ...folksy with a kick...i like them, hope InvisTatoo does too.

thanks
poda

i'm always searchin for new sounds...these guys made my to get list

Elric68
02-25-2007, 09:06 AM
In my opinion "This is The Sea" is a great album, but "Karma to Burn" (a live from 2005) is a CD that you should not miss. Amazing version of "Peace of Iona", an almost progressive rock song.

Elric68
02-25-2007, 10:54 AM
Ok, don't forget to tell me what you think about it when you'll have put an ear on it