PDA

View Full Version : Lyrics

pawpoet
03-04-2007, 11:02 AM
I know this is a little like throwing a fish in the progressive rock ocean, but
what bands have excellent lyrics. As a poet, who as a teen used to study lyrics of 70's prog rock bands, I'm ever searching for good lyrics with existential, religious, philisophical leanings. What say? I appeal to your knowledge, I may be a little stuck in the 70's, what's new? thanks
pawpoet

KeithieW
03-04-2007, 12:42 PM
Hi Paw,

As a some time writer of poetry myself I know what you mean about being stuck in the 70s. However a few of the newer bands have written some VERY good lyrics IMHO. Off the top of my head I'd suggest you listen to the lyrics of Nick Barrett of Pendragon. Make a start with, say, 'Paintbox' and 'Guardian of my soul' from the album "The Masquerade Overture" and investigate further from there.

There are many more of course but as a starting point I reckon that will give you food for thought.

PeterG
03-05-2007, 08:26 AM
Aaah Grasshopper,

You must study... Yes.

Signed: Master Po

PS (Yeah... they are the 70's too... not exactly new... )

Rick and Roll
03-05-2007, 11:34 AM
I know this is a little like throwing a fish in the progressive rock ocean, but
what bands have excellent lyrics. As a poet, who as a teen used to study lyrics of 70's prog rock bands, I'm ever searching for good lyrics with existential, religious, philisophical leanings. What say? I appeal to your knowledge, I may be a little stuck in the 70's, what's new? thanks
pawpoet

I like Salem Hill's words (Carl Groves). I think you will too, especially the last two (Mimi and Be).

Most of the other newer prog is darker in nature, maybe a little angst-ridden.

DEzerov
03-05-2007, 12:04 PM
Peter Sinfield - King Crimson, ELP, PFM, et al...
David Cousins - Strawbs
Keith Reid - Procol Harum
Peter Hammill - Van der Graaf Generator, solo
The Moody Blues -the core seven albums

and while not lyrics per se, check out Celestial Navagations featuring the brilliant storytelling of actor Geoffrey Lewis and the other-worldly soundscapes of composer Geoff Levin...

roger
03-06-2007, 08:53 AM
it ain't quite prog, but I like Chicago for good lyrics.