PDA

View Full Version : What's in a name?

gazric
03-05-2007, 04:16 PM
In my time here, i've noticed that the majority of members have rather interesting and unusual names. Some of these are more easy to decipher than others..so...how did you decide on your AM name? what is it's meaning to you?
Me? gazric? an easy one..my name is Gary, and for ages.(since the advent of Ozric..and Baldric of Blackadder fame) all my friends have called me that..with the inevitable variations of 'tentacular one' etc..i'm also known as 'the homosexual ibex!' but that's a long and rather complicated story for another day!

KeithieW
03-05-2007, 04:47 PM
Mine is easy to explain.

I used to be known as KeithW but I visited a numerologist who explained (and showed me) that if I used the name KeithieW I would have a happier time of things. So I've been known as Keithie ever since.

Also, and this is probably more plausible to a lot of people, one of my aunts visited the day after I was born and said "Hello Keithie Weithie".

Everyone has called me Keithie for years and I love it.

mossy
03-05-2007, 05:33 PM
I love this sort of thread. SO much more interesting than discussing prog ;)

When I was "young" and a hippy we used to take boat trips to remote islands in British Columbia and climb hills and lay around on moss. Because there is so much rain there, everything is covered in moss, there is even a variety that hangs off trees and is called old man's beard. I got sort of obsessed by moss and would collect specimens from the different areas....even attempted to weave a blanket with moss. Of course, once it dried out it wasn't comfy at all. Anyway, everyone started calling me mossy, and when I came to the Moon that was the first thing that came into my head, even though I hadn't been called mossy since those eventful hippy days.

pawpoet
03-05-2007, 06:11 PM
I use my middle initial when I attempt publication of my poems
because Paul White is a fairly common name. And I kind of liked
the ring of pawpoet, and its imagery besides. Popped into my head
as a shortening of my e-mail address.

lotus
03-06-2007, 02:32 AM
When I was I kid (11 or 12), I was a very fast runner, so my school friends begun to call me "Lotus" after the British sportscar (and Formula 1 racer in that time), which fitted well to my real name "Lothar". I kept this nick during all my youth. As this was also time I discovered prog (which later I forgot until rediscovering it on the Moon) I think this nick would suite well.

Rick and Roll
03-06-2007, 06:39 AM
I'm finding out some very neat things...nice thread.

Nothing special about mine...just rock instead of rick....

but it does keep with my philosophy of keeping it simple. I don't care for showy, attention grabbing behavior, same with the music - rock and roll.

GORT
03-06-2007, 08:34 AM
Mine should be quite obvious to SciFi fans, it's from one of my favorite oldies

roger
03-06-2007, 08:48 AM
heh. this is one of the few forums that I don't use a nickname!

on a word forum I'm etaoin, from the old Linotype days; and on several others, I'm rahja because I had some students that called me that, and I liked it. so exotic. :D

VAXman
03-06-2007, 11:39 AM
In my time here, i've noticed that the majority of members have rather interesting and unusual names. Some of these are more easy to decipher than others..so...how did you decide on your AM name? what is it's meaning to you?
Me? gazric? an easy one..my name is Gary, and for ages.(since the advent of Ozric..and Baldric of Blackadder fame) all my friends have called me that..with the inevitable variations of 'tentacular one' etc..i'm also known as 'the homosexual ibex!' but that's a long and rather complicated story for another day!
Back in the day when I worked in a DoD lab running the VMSclusters and MILnet, people would come into the computer rooms or the adjunct areas looking for assistance. One of my colleagues would always say, "You need to speak to the VAXman." It got to the point where people in the labs just called me "VAXman." Even an alias of VAXman was setup for my email. I started using VAXman when posting to usenet and I've used it ever since.

When I worked for NASA/GE Astrospace, my name was too long so the ppl in my group working on the Mars Observer would simply write Brian S14 (14 letters in my surname). I prefer the VAXman moniker over S14.

My name appears in the VMS source and documentation as both my full surname (http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/83FINAL/9996/9996pro_233.html#brass_103) and as my moniker (http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/83FINAL/9996/9996pro_266.html#brass_130).

DEzerov
03-06-2007, 11:49 AM
As most of you know by now, I was born and live in west central Indiana in the USA and my wife is Bulgarian. D(imiter) Ezerov (DEz) is simply my Anglicized name in Slavic form... Dimiter is the Slavic equiv. of James and Ezero is Bulgarian for Lake, adding the "v" to make it into a surname.

mailotron
03-06-2007, 04:08 PM
I love this sort of thread. SO much more interesting than discussing prog ;)

When I was "young" and a hippy we used to take boat trips to remote islands in British Columbia and climb hills and lay around on moss. Because there is so much rain there, everything is covered in moss, there is even a variety that hangs off trees and is called old man's beard. I got sort of obsessed by moss and would collect specimens from the different areas....even attempted to weave a blanket with moss. Of course, once it dried out it wasn't comfy at all. Anyway, everyone started calling me mossy, and when I came to the Moon that was the first thing that came into my head, even though I hadn't been called mossy since those eventful hippy days.

Was Columbian moss smokable ?8-q :winkies:

KeithieW
03-06-2007, 04:14 PM
Was Columbian moss smokable ?8-q :winkies:
Probably Mailo but a bigger question is why did you decide on the nickname Mailotron?

C'mon spill the beans. :haha:

RogorMortis
03-06-2007, 05:03 PM
Well my name is obvious - Should have been Rigor Mortis but I misspelled it and it just stuck. And it's different !!!!!!!

PeterG
03-06-2007, 06:28 PM
Damn, my story is so boring compared to all of you.

My first name is Peter,

My last name starts with G.

...as simple as it gets... :dunno:

VAX:... "Brian S14" sounds like you would be from "Logan's Run" :haha:

Bob Lentil
03-06-2007, 06:41 PM
Bob Lentil is just an arbitrary fake name that I created and use wherever fake names are prudent.

ViolinCyndee
03-06-2007, 08:40 PM
I think you can all guess what mine means.. ;)

jtmckinley
03-06-2007, 08:56 PM
Oh gawd, I'm so BORING lol. I think I may have tried 'doc' when I first created my account on AM, but it may have been taken (maybe, I really don't remember, but it has happened on other sites), and so I figured I dig the music here so much so why not just be myself? Hence that's what I did James T. McKinley = jtmckinley. I've also decided to use jtmckinley elsewhere since, just because that's me. Although you might see me elsewhere as doc or DocJTM on a few, most of the time I'm jtmckinley, it's usually not taken ;).

Hawksun
03-07-2007, 11:48 AM
A lot of people thought I was a Hawkwind fan when I first started coming here (can't blame them) because of my name. The fact is that I came with that randomly about 8 years ago when I first signed up for a hotmail account ; 'tis the truth! I swear! I heard hawkwind for the first time only about 1 year ago.

gazric
03-07-2007, 02:16 PM
well, this is going great so far..thanks for the comments, i'm learning a lot here

dinosaur
03-07-2007, 02:33 PM
When I went back to graduate school, I was about twice the age of most of the students there. I landed a gig as a DJ on the college radio station (yep, I played prog--and lots of old stuff!). I needed an on-air name, so...

JamForte
03-07-2007, 02:50 PM
an old schoolboy's latin (nonsense) rhyme ...

Caesar adsum Jam Forte, Brutus adorat, Ceasar sic in omnibus, Brutus inisat.

of course.. it';s also Jam (I like to ) and Loud (which can be equally fun...)

clear?

mossy
03-07-2007, 03:42 PM
It's the long lost Jam! (at least to me)

All this time I thought you were doing a variation on "Jam for tea", but ran out of steam.

Awful memories of school latin, which I failed miserably.

WB jam!

Yesspaz
03-28-2007, 05:05 PM
I'm a spaz for Yes. Next!

prickly
03-28-2007, 06:15 PM
My name is coming from Principal Prickly, one of the main characters of Disneys Recess.
My kids love this show and he is my favorite.

OverHillandDale
03-29-2007, 09:16 AM
Mine works two ways now. When I introduced myself as 'Dale,' people would mispronouce or spell it as Dell, Dave, Dan or some other D-name. So I got into the habit of saying Dale, as in Over hill and dale fame - like going to grandma's house....

Later when I was looking for a name for a Landscape company for myself I decided on Hill and Dale Landscaping.

No that I have reached "an age" and am "over the hill", so to speak, the two just went together.:headscrat

podakayne
03-29-2007, 03:26 PM
i read the book long ago as a kid and liked the title, loved the author and it's such an unusual name i didn't think i'd run into anyone else using it... for the most part it's true, if you've encountered it on the Scifi forums or elsewhere on the net...that was most likely me. i started to use an old one from school but artboy uses that one.(that's another short story)

also, i added an "a" to the name because when i first read the book, i kept saying it that way. "Poe - da - kayne"...i think it's really "Pod - kayne of Mars"

thank you robert heinlein
your scifi geek
podakayne

p.s. nice thread gaz, glad i finally peeked in

gazric
03-29-2007, 04:03 PM
thank you all my moon friends..i've learnt a lot about you all..makes you all seem somehow more real

Ted
03-29-2007, 06:30 PM
thank you all my moon friends..i've learnt a lot about you all..makes you all seem somehow more real

Gaz - we all need to thank you! :yougo This has been a great thread to read!

My is kinda obvious. Ted is my first name. Like was mentioned - JTM, I think - I like the music - and am being my self. My last name is Neil. When you have 2 first names, I get called "Neil" alot, so I decided to keep it simple - just Ted.

I thought briefly about TexasTed - but - while I have lived longer in Texas than anywhere else, I was born in Indiana and grew up in Ohio (Dayton) and Indiana (Salem) until I went to college in Texas. After 6 years of college, I got married and lived in in Abilene, Texas for a year, then 3 years in North Carolina (Cary, near Raleigh) and 3 years in New Mexico (Albuquerque), we moved back to the Austin area. My wife is a Native Texan, from the Austin area. We have lived here 14 years!!

Again, Gaz - thank you for this forum/thread to share our stories and names....

Mucho gratias,

Ted :knowing:

gazric
03-30-2007, 02:19 PM
Gaz - we all need to thank you! :yougo This has been a great thread to read!

My is kinda obvious. Ted is my first name. Like was mentioned - JTM, I think - I like the music - and am being my self. My last name is Neil. When you have 2 first names, I get called "Neil" alot, so I decided to keep it simple - just Ted.

I thought briefly about TexasTed - but - while I have lived longer in Texas than anywhere else, I was born in Indiana and grew up in Ohio (Dayton) and Indiana (Salem) until I went to college in Texas. After 6 years of college, I got married and lived in in Abilene, Texas for a year, then 3 years in North Carolina (Cary, near Raleigh) and 3 years in New Mexico (Albuquerque), we moved back to the Austin area. My wife is a Native Texan, from the Austin area. We have lived here 14 years!!

Again, Gaz - thank you for this forum/thread to share our stories and names....

Mucho gratias,

Ted :knowing:

the pleasure is all mine Ted:thumbsup: i love meet and greet sessions

Methem
03-30-2007, 06:12 PM
I needed a name for my player character in a text-based online game 12 years ago. Ended up choosing "Methem" (which isn't supposed to mean anything).

-Methem

Elric68
03-31-2007, 02:36 AM
At the time I subscribed here (wow, more than 2 years ago now, maybe 3 ?), I was a huge fan of Michael Moorcock's "Chronicle of the Black Sword", (and of the Hawkwind musical adaptation) and I was using the name Elric almost everywhere. Now I got used to it, and despite the fact that this does not mean much to me anymore, I still use it everywhere.

a.f.held
04-13-2007, 06:26 AM
Well, it's always funny to uncover the secrets of nicknames... Honestly - I'm using this one for 15 years and never explained it to anyone. So you're the first ones ;)
The whole nick is Alan Filip Held. Alan = I always loved this name, especially after meeting one unknown Alan under the Eiffel Tower in Paris, smoking some not-really-legal-stuff there and having fun. Then following our own ways again.. Filip = that's my real name, nice to meet you :) Held = at first, that's name of my favourite hanball player from childhood.. and at second, I've always had the feeling that I held something in the past what I'm not holding anymore. Just looking too much to the past probably...
I started to use this nick for publishing my literary works and got used to it somehow.. So, here am I.

lotus
09-20-2007, 05:38 PM
I think, after a couple of month, it is interesting to put this thread again on the front page..Some new members got in and it would be interesting to hear about their nicks...

carlos77
09-20-2007, 05:49 PM
Easy one...My full name is Carlos Alberto Sotomayor Ching...I was about to use my hotmail username (lunes14)...but as in every page I get involved I keep using lunes as my nickname I really wanted to use my real name in one...then I clicked Auralmoon and choose my name and since Carlos is already in use...I decided to add 77 since I was born in 1977.

By the way, lunes 14 is, according to my mum, the very day I was born. If her memory serves....

MrMagoo
09-20-2007, 05:51 PM
Forgot that I never contributed to this thread. MrMagoo is one of my 3 normal aliases I've used every since BBS days. One other for less anonymous situations is my first name, last initial and 2 digit year of birth. For really anonymous use I have another. When I joined AM, I chose the middle level of anonymity. Now that I know y'all I realize I should have gone for the totally anonymous one! :knowing:

podakayne
09-20-2007, 10:18 PM
LOL GOO,

as i've already made my contribution to the thread, i regret not being able to say.

:bang!: "If i told you, i'd have to kill you."

just waiting for that response. :winkies:

Thor
09-21-2007, 09:10 AM
Thor... hmmm never really thought about it much. I'm Scottish decent not Norwegian. Yet I do love norse legend and comic books, especially Marvel. since Thor is one of the major heroes of both and it is a short name for chat typing it was a no brainer. :D

Thor
09-21-2007, 09:13 AM
I also chose "Thor" because the nicks: Vaxman, Podakayne, and Mossy were already taken :)

spewie
09-21-2007, 01:38 PM
The name spewie actually comes from my nick name spewit, which is the closest name to Lewis that I have ever heard. that plus when I am on the moon I am usually spewing some kind something on you folks in the shout box, so it made sense.

neat huh!8-)

Rick and Roll
09-21-2007, 01:57 PM
Hopefully this doesn't contradict what I've said prior in the thread:xfinger:

Although it seemingly is a simple moniker, "Rick and Roll" is very descriptive of my personality. No frills, nothing ostentatious. Screw the latest fashions. I know I'm anachronistic.

Although I'm not a protest kind of person, it serves to thumb my nose at those who take the music too seriously, and those who try to stuff a wide variety of pleasurable sounds into a constricting box. It's only Rock and Roll.....but I like it.

Far be it for me to quote Billy Joel, but he had it right with the lyrics of "It's Still Rock and Roll To Me".

MonkeyPhoneAlex
09-25-2007, 08:02 PM
Mine's not too hard. I'm in a comedy troupe called Monkeyphone. My name is Alex.

Hence, MonkeyphoneAlex.