PDA

View Full Version : Jon Anderson is weird

Rick and Roll
05-25-2007, 07:57 PM
In a good way. I've always been amused by his butchering of the language (How can the wind with its arms all around me, for example - you're missing a verb there pal).......

But I was playing a board game with one of my kids (yeah remember those?) and something sounded like "Jacaranda". So I told him about the first word in the song "I'm Running". He asked what that was, and judging by what I remember of the song, said it was something like a seer or Merlin-type guy.

So we google it, then look at the lyrics...and it's a freakin PLANT! I mean, what's that got to do with the song?

"Jacaranda
Help me out tomorrow
Jacaranda
Don't want to be alone"

I don't know, I think a dog might be better....

Just like Picasso....I don't get it. But boy can he sing:smirk:

VERNIXX
05-25-2007, 09:28 PM
Maybe he likes to ingest plant's fumes and write tunes..........

But seriously (as I was being before), he has written some of the most interesting and bizarre lyrics in the Progressive continuum.

mossy
05-25-2007, 09:52 PM
I watched an old show on Yes recently. Jon appeared to be sitting in his kitchen, and said that he wrote lyrics for the sound of the words not particularly for the meaning. So that might explain it.

Rick and Roll
05-25-2007, 10:02 PM
I watched an old show on Yes recently. Jon appeared to be sitting in his kitchen, and said that he wrote lyrics for the sound of the words not particularly for the meaning. So that might explain it.

Ever notice everyone ends up in the kitchen at parties?

OverHillandDale
05-25-2007, 10:09 PM
Not just your everyday "plant"

jac·a·ran·da
n.1. Any of several tropical American trees or shrubs of the genus Jacaranda, having pinnately compound, opposite leaves and panicles of pale purple flowers with funnel-shaped corollas.
2. The wood of this tree or a wood similar to it.

[Portuguese jacarandá, from Tupi, having a hard core, hard branch.]

Lyrics are really "poetry" so many liberties are taken. But read further and I think it is clear (IMHO) that he is talking of the tree and using it as an example of long life and the history it gives to society. And the sorrow when it changes and falls.

Jacaranda
Help me out tomorrow
Jacaranda
Don't want to be alone
Keep falling over
A spell that brings me sorrow
Give and take
I shouldn't be afraid
So you give me this big story
It wakes me every day
The challenge is to chase the sounds
Just to break away

And I'm running
Running
Yes I'm running
A simple peace
Just can't be found
Waste another day
Blasting all their lives away
I've heard the thunder
Underground
Tunneling away
At the very soul of man

But then that's my demented mind's eye. (8-D There's no auguing that Jon's a weird one. But I find his work very uplifting and poetic. That is, when I do get it. Sometimes the boat sails without me reason, arrr.:blush: Sometimes "the wind with its arms all around me".

Here's another good example between "You and I"

Coming quickly to terms of all expression laid,
Emotion revealed as the ocean maid,
All complete in the sight of seeds of life with you. :???::surrender

But then if I truly understood poetry, I'd have bigger feet.
They'd be Longfellows...R)

RogorMortis
05-26-2007, 05:31 PM
Never understood the lyrics and never really listen to them any more....going deaf. :D

KeithieW
05-27-2007, 04:12 AM
Look......I know I've posted this before but it's fun!!!!!

http://www.eilands.com/vjon/

As for Mr Anderson himself. I know he's a bit "out there" at times but he's SINCERE. When Pam and I met him in London during the Ladder tour it was the most moving time for both of us. Jon has a spirituality that enfolds you. He has the most beautiful eyes that seem to peer right into your soul. His enthusiasm for life is infectious and our lives were certainly enhanced that day.

Rick and Roll
05-27-2007, 08:07 AM
[QUOTE=KeithieW;26303]Look......I know I've posted this before but it's fun!!!!!

http://www.eilands.com/vjon/

So I put in Dundalk, the most redneck blue collar place I know, and Mr. Anderson even makes it elegant...or arcane!:thumbsup:

Dundalk could be near Captain Harvey's
Dedicated to all good people, from the heart.

Lightly Butchie lovingly
Butchie always was close to universe
Touching inside the moon
At solid Arabia
Through Jupiter under warm ocean
Lying between fond planet
Dundalk leaving at the sea
Feeling towards wonderful universe
Fond warm gate
Making inside the world

(I don't where the hell Arabia came from!)

PeterG
05-27-2007, 09:44 AM

So. "He knows not what he says"? :notsure: :headscrat

I think he knows more than he is letting on.

Huh, I know what he is saying.... :thumbsup:

If he wants to stop by for dinner... i'll explain them to him.

jtmckinley
05-29-2007, 08:11 AM
Well, all I gotta say is:

"A seasoned witch could call you from the depths of your disgrace and rearrange your liver to the solid mental grace".

thehealingroad
05-30-2007, 11:36 AM
By the way:

http://www.trevorrabin.net/Studio.html

;-)
hans

Mike413
05-30-2007, 03:14 PM
Jon Anderson is weird? Tell us something we don't know! Lol. Actually there are much weirder people in music out there believe it or not.

thehealingroad
05-30-2007, 03:30 PM
Yes. Devin Townsend. LOL

...and I love his stuff!
hans

OverHillandDale
05-30-2007, 06:23 PM
Gee, I sure hope the nice wood paneling at the Jacaranda studios is made from the Jacaranda. :rolleyes: