PDA

View Full Version : An Ode to Oscar Peterson

OverHillandDale
12-24-2007, 07:38 PM
It is with great sadness I pass along the news of the passing of the Great Oscar Peterson.

Here is a link to the news:

http://canadianpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5jysfV8l_cM9t30j6K61HrnzB_i2w

I was introduced to his music by my parents as I grew up. Mostly not really aware of what I was listening to then. But as I grew to appreciate jazz and pianiants more and more, he simply amazed me. It seems as if he had three hands or more than 10 fingers. Wow.

And I know he has influenced many a young and old piano (and keyboard) players along the way in many genres.

Thank you, Oscar, for sharing your Joy, with us. 8-)

podakayne
12-24-2007, 11:29 PM
ditto dale and i echo that same history...saturday mornings when my mom awoke us girls (3) to do the weekly housecleaning, she always played jazz and oscar was always on that playlist. i believe she'd also seen him live at some time. and i always remembered his name because of a relative by the same name...truely a great ivory player. my only surprise is not knowing he was Canadian 8-o . ...way to go Canada!

rest in peace oscar.
:angel::angel:

progdirjim
12-25-2007, 02:07 AM
Tristeza! the Oscar Peterson trio. Great pianist, and it is always sad when a true artist dies...the world is just a bit emptier because of it

KeithieW
12-25-2007, 03:50 AM
Another legend leaves us.

He did leave an amazing legacy of wonderful music. Whenever I heard Oscar Peterson play I always thought of my dad who loved his music.

RIP Mr Peterson and thank you.

mailotron
12-25-2007, 05:18 AM
ditto here folks, was introduced ti his music by my father who liked lot of ' old' stuff like O Patterson,Duke Ellington, Sydney Bechet, Django Reinhardt, Memphis Slim, Scott Joplin, Chuck Berry,... souvenirs souvenirs

roger
12-25-2007, 04:23 PM
indeed. another loss. man, he could play.

I believe Oscar also played with the Synclavier, and did some stuff with Pat Metheny.

mailotron
12-26-2007, 02:04 PM
indeed. another loss. man, he could play.

I believe Oscar also played with the Synclavier, and did some stuff with Pat Metheny.

i ignored that Roger , I knew K Emerson played with him around 1977 but I don't know if records exist. Oscar Peterson was very involved in keys technology . Appleton introduced him the Synclavier . r music Synclavier was not the only synth O Peterson experimented .A huge loss for jazz and generally speaking for intelligent/clever music .

Toccata
12-26-2007, 06:21 PM
Without doubt, he was a master, big pianist , big musician, full of big ideas and musician sentences!
Thank you Man.:thumbsup: :notworthy
Toc.