PDA

View Full Version : Yes - The Talk tour.

KeithieW
01-08-2008, 04:56 PM
I was chatting to Thor in the shoutbox about this and mentioned that this was the only tour I'd not seen as they never bought it over to the UK.

I think that "Talk" is by far the best of the Rabin era Yes albums and there are a LOT of tracks on there that I really love. Endless dream is a WONDERFUL song in the true Yes epic tradition and I would have loved to see them play it live. There are a few YouTube cuts of it but they don't really do it justice IMHO.

Did anyone else see them on that tour and what did you think of it? I'd love to know.

TheFish
01-08-2008, 05:56 PM
I did. The talk album was real good but the tour was average. Billy Sherwood was the extra man on stage. The opennd with somthing that just didn't come across. Some hodgepodge of perpetual change/ Yours is no ... . Tony was there and just playing lakluster. Possibly the tamest live tour they ever did and I've seen them all since '75. Don't remember any solos.

WTF, my 2 cents and my opinion only.

TheFish
01-08-2008, 06:02 PM
Oh yea, The best part was at the beginning of 'Endless Dream' Billy came down and jammed the opening part with Chris, Both on Bass. it really smoked but was way too short.

ProgressiveEars
01-09-2008, 03:02 AM
I thought it was a good set. They played the Talk tunes better than they did on the CD. Rabin soloed his butt off all over Endless Dream, something he should have done on the cd release over all those miles of keyboard pads.... They also played the old, 70s stuff better than they ever had as that lineup. Almost like playing them on the Union tour taught them what the correct way was.... There's some great live tapes of this tour. Not my fave, but next to 90125 the best Rabin tour, methinks. Jon was in excellent voice on this tour too. To me, Tony hasn't played anything exciting since The Yes Album, so I didn't notice him being any more lackluster than he had been since rejoining, but maybe some nights he was.

PFD
01-09-2008, 08:36 AM
Yeah, saw that tour in Toronto.

I thought it was pretty good, though not all the arena agreed. At this point, Yes was still attracting their 90125 audience, who slept through the renditioon of Endless Dream, which I thought was great.

That and Purple Haze in the encore was great.

kirk
01-09-2008, 12:02 PM
Purple Haze?!

They didn't do that at Deer Creek (Indy).
The highlight that stands out in my mind was the trio of
Jon, Trevor and Chris doing "Where will you be".
They gathered center stage, Chris behind playing a white
(Zeta?) upright, Trevor at nearly floor level on acoustic,
Jon kneeling, keeping time on handheld percussion.
Trevor played the crap out of the solo, much in the
John McLaughlin style.

Imo, Tony is/was a good old fashioned Hammond player,
but has been a waste of roadies since the old days.
I haven't heard much of the Circa stuff, so going into it
unbiased as possible.

K

PeterG
01-09-2008, 12:07 PM
I thought the Talk tour was great. I had the album and new what to expect.

Endless Dream is a great song and it was nice that they cranked on the 'Live" version. I think I have a boot or two from that tour. :rawk:

Rick and Roll
01-09-2008, 12:38 PM
Endless Dream is a great song

I've really really really tried to get into that song. I just can't. I do like real Love though...

that said, I would have liked to see that tour...saw the ones before and after.

PFD
01-09-2008, 01:50 PM
Yeah they did Purple Haze as an encore.

RE: Endless Dream. I like it a lot, but there's that beginning part I can do without--you know that whole "noisy" section? But when it breaks into "It's the last time, telling me...etc" it's great.

I vaguely recall live, that Jon introduced the song as "something we've written in the old Yes style," and then walked away as Rabin did the noisy part and the first verse..then the lights shifted back to Jon as he returned and did the "It's the last time..." bit...quite magical...ehh, you had to be there.

I rate Talk as the best of the Rabin-era albums. Hell, I'm gonna listen to it right now.

sharcnorris
01-10-2008, 08:14 PM
So Mr. A/V cant resist stateing that which I Always bring to this table.
Talk is one of my Favorite Recordings. Exceptional Dynamics created by Rabin's then State of the Art Srudio. This CD can indeed rip your paper cone speakers or rattle your windows.
Prior to Synths,Pipe Organ Bass peddles created the lowest Octives made by Man. Talk goes lower. Ive popped my Amps off overheating because I like to play it so loud.

We all know that Moonies are Live music lovers but Im a Studio Recording Man. Make me smile everyday in my own Home over my 1.5 Jig-a-watts

Awesome album dude

DEzerov
01-11-2008, 10:13 AM
I too saw the Talk tour in Indy...too bad they didn't play Purple Haze...enjoyed the album and show very much...had 2nd row seats on the floor...less than 10 feet from Chris and Billy....