View Full Version : Top Ten List
07-19-2001, 10:00 AM
OK....since you won't tell us a little about yourself and other interests (with, of course, the noteable exception of Yesspaz), do yer top ten song list...just for grins and giggles...here's mine.....
1. Genesis - The Seven Stones
2. Genesis - The Fountain of Salmacis
3. Jethro Tull - A Passion Play (minus the hare)...I know, it's an album...but it's still one cut in my book!
4. Mike Oldfield - Hergest Ridge part 2
5. Rare Bird - As Your Mind Flies By
6. Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother
7. Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
8. Genesis - Firth of Fifth
9. Tangerine Dream - Through Metamorphic Rocks
10. Procol Harum - In Held Twas I
OK....OK.....I like a lot of "long-form" stuff....now it's your turn!
07-19-2001, 10:06 AM
Crap....I left out Yes - Tales cut 2 (or side 2 or whatever)...OK make it a top 11 if you want to :p
07-20-2001, 09:05 AM
In no particular order, here are eleven of my ten favorite songs (for this week).
Yes - Starship Trooper (live, KTA) [Years of hard work pay off in the last 7 minutes.]
Wings - Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-five
Savoy Brown - Hellbound Train
Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick
Deep Purple - Space Truckin' (live, Made in Japan)
Genesis - The Knife (live)
Grateful Dead - Terrapin Station [They musta been off drugs when they made this one.]
King Crimson - I Talk to the Wind
Traffic - Low Spark of High Heeled Boys [Smooth, man.]
Pink Floyd - Animals [Yes, another album that's really one song]
The Verve - Rolling People
I agree with you BT, I like Hergest Ridge, too.
OK, that's twelve, but who's counting?
07-20-2001, 09:43 AM
I got some favorites I listen to quite frequently, but there is so much stuff I like and so much I haven't heard, this list should be considered incomplete/not-to-date. It also reflects some of the prog I have been recently listening to.
In no particular order:
1. Transatlantic - "All of the Above"
2. Yes - "The Gates of Delerium"
3. Genesis - "One for the Vine"
4. Genesis - "Supper's Ready"
5 Genesis - "Firth of Fifth"
6. Yes - "Starship Trooper"
7. Emerson, Lake, and Palmer - "Trilogy"
8. Rush - "Cygnus X-1 (Books I & II)"
9. Spock's Beard - "The Light"
10. Procol Harum - "Repent Walpurgis"
Damn. That's really incomplete. Better make it a top 20.
11. Pink Floyd - "Dogs"
12. Pink Floyd - "Saucerful of Secrets"
13. ELP - "Tank"
14. Yes - "Siberian Khatru"
15. Rush - "The Fountain of Lamneth"
16. Transatlantic - "My New World"
17. ELP - "Karn Evil 9"
18. Wishbone Ash - "Warrior"
19. Klaus Schulze - "Searching"
20. The Damned - "Curtain Call" (yeah, they're really a punk/goth band, but if you've ever heard this tune, it proves what I
say about some bands having a few songs that are progressive).
Is it just me, or is this list a little too mainstream? Anyways, I love the long ones, too. Can't get enough of 'em. 100 bonus points to whoever can name the shortest song on this list.
07-20-2001, 01:13 PM
I had almost forgotten about that one...besides "Workingman's", Terrapin is the only other "regular" GD album I own (I do have a couple of compilation/anthology discs). They WERE on drugs...just better ones!!!
07-20-2001, 01:18 PM
Since I'm not familiar with Spock's Beard, TransAtlantic and I think maybe one or two others that you listed, I'd have to guess either Firth of Fifth or Warrior.............
07-20-2001, 04:23 PM
In Particular Order
1. Awaken - Yes
2. On the Silent Wings of Freedom - Yes
3. The Gates of Delirium - Yes
4. Yours is no Disgrace - Yes (Yessongs live version)
5. Ritual - Yes
6. Echoes - Pink Floyd
7. Vital Signs - Rush
8. Welcome to the Machine - Pink Floyd
9. Knots/The Advent of Panurge/Side Two of Three Friends - Gentle Giant (3 way tie)
10. In the Wake of Posiedon - King Crimson
I could go on and on and on and on and on...
07-20-2001, 10:16 PM
You never specified Progressive:
In no particular order:
"Supper's Ready" (Seconds Out version) by Genesis
"Duke" (Behind The Lines-Duchess-Guide Vocal-Duke's Travels- Duke's End) I could care less about the rest of the CD by Genesis
"Respect the Wind" (end Title music to the movie "Twister") by Eddie & Alex Van Halen
"The Planets" by Gustav Holst
"Organ Symphony" by Camille Saint-Saens
"Funeral for a Friend-Love Lies Bleeding" by Elton John
"Les Miserables" cast recording
"The Core" by Eric Clapton
"Fool's Overture" by Supertramp
"Synchronicity I & II" by The Police
07-25-2001, 07:29 PM
OK, here's my top ten that maybe you haven't heard yet - check 'em out:
FM - Black Noise
Premiata Forneria Marconi - Chocolate Kings
Djam Karet - Reflections From The Firepool
Sebastian Hardie - Windchase
Citizen Cain - Somewhere But Yesterday
Pendragon - Masquerade Overture
Nathan Mahl - The Clever Use Of Shadows
Leah Waybright - Beauty Gone Wild
Renaissance - Ashes Are Burning
Focus - Hamburger Concerto
07-25-2001, 07:30 PM
Oh yeah, just to be clear, my list is CDs, not individual songs...
07-26-2001, 09:25 PM
Oh man. . .
I really hate making these lists. I always feel as if I'm insulting those that don't get on it. Well, here goes. .
1. Can-Utility and the Coastliners (Genesis)
2. The ENTIRE album Quadrophenia (Who)
3. Close to the Edge (Yes)
3. Running Hard (Rennaisance)(Did I spell that right?)
4. Tarkus (ELP)
5. Dogs (Pink Floyd)
6. Sound Chaser (Yes)
7. Supper's Ready (Genesis)
8. Skating Away on the Thin Ice of the New Day (Jethro Tull)
9. Optimistic (Radiohead)
10. Bloody Well Right (Supertramp)
11. Montana (Zappa)
Oh, wait, that's more than 10, isn't it? Shucks. I guess it's too late now . . .
12. A Small Fruit Song (Al Stewart)
13. Jane (Barenaked Ladies)
14. Chelsea (Elvis Costello)
15. Karn Evil 9 (ELP)
16. Cathrine Parr (Rick Wakeman)
17. Heart of the Sunrise (Yes)
18. Dancing With the Moonlit Knight (Genesis)
(In a fake Scottish accent) "Captain! She can't hold on much longer!! We're going out of control!!!"
19. The Sun (TMBG)
20. Ashes are Burning (Rennaisance)
21. Love Chronicles (Al Stewart)
22. Baba O'Riley (Who)
23. Perpetual Change (Yes)
24. Have a Cigar (Pink Floyd)
25. Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic (Police)
26. Fragile (Sting)
27. The entire Final Fantasy VII sountrack (Uematsu)(This is going to look so immature)
Whew. . . .I think I'm going to pass out now. . .
07-27-2001, 11:49 AM
Genisis74, Why looking immature?
I happen to like most of the Final Fantasy soundtracks myself.
(Although some will argue my age does not equal my maturity, and to them I say phffffpt!)
Anyway, I'm going to hedge some here and not stick with a standard, so the list will contain bands, albums and songs, in no particular order. Notice no numbers, they shift around by my mood.
. Yes - (like duh)
. Chase - Ennea side 2, and some "new" live stuff
. In-a-gadda-da-vida (song)
. EJ - Funeral for a Friend (song)
. Utopia - Singering and the Glass Guitar (excellent "epic")(song)
. Electric Light Orchestra - Face the Music
. Russ Ballard - Voices (song)
. Santa Esmeralda - Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood (song)
. Alan Parsons (mostly early stuff, House, Robot)
. Golden Earring - Radar Love (song)
Well, I can't count either.
I can hear the purists grinding their teeth from here! :)
I'm in the process of making minidiscs of all my favorite songs, I've just started #9, and am guessing around 20 or so!
07-27-2001, 01:27 PM
Utopia...good pick! One of my favorites is "The Icon"...guess we'll have to start a thread called "Top 10 'Epics'" :p
07-28-2001, 04:47 AM
I've already got some Utopia planned for uploading - any suggestions or favorites...?
07-29-2001, 10:33 AM
Obviously I would like "Singering and the Glass Guitar".
I like several tracks on the RA album, but first I'll have to remember their names! :)
08-02-2001, 11:42 AM
Another list in no particular order, and subject to change without notice:
1. Rush - The Fountain of Lamneth
2. Kraftwerk - The Man-Machine
3. UFO - Flying
4. Tim Weisberg - Dion Blue
5. Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds (The whole bloody thing, Richard Burton and all ... too close to call between Forever Autumn and Thunderchild for best tracks)
6. Jethro Tull - Flying Dutchman
7. Rennaisance - Ocean Gypsy
8. Loreena McKennitt - The Mystic's Dream
9. Molly Hatchet - Fall of the Peacemakers
10. Tangerine Dream (anything they do)
08-05-2001, 11:52 PM
This is my first time on this board, and I don't really know anyone on here...but since it's rock...then be prepared to hear my views on every aspect of rock. Here's my top ten list.
1.) Running with the Devil (Van Halen)
2.) Eruption (Van Halen)
3.) Evenflow (Pearl Jam)
4.) Alive (Pearl Jam)
5.) Come as you are (Nirvana)
6.) Nazi punks fuck off (Dead Kennedys)
7.) Star Spangled Banner (Jimi Hendrix)
8.) Angel (Jimi Hendrix)
9.) Plush (Stone Temple Pilots)
10.) Big Empty (Stone Temple Pilots)
08-07-2001, 10:25 AM
The cup runneth over....
09-01-2001, 09:51 PM
Top TEN songs at the present moment would have to be:
1)'Echoes' - Pink Floyd
2)'Man-Erg' - Van Der Graaf Generator
3)'Future Days' - Can
4)'Bitches Brew' - Miles Davis
5)'Nine Feet Underground' - Caravan
6)'Supper's Ready' - Genesis
7)'Atlantis' - Sun Ra
8)'Lizard' - King Crimson
9)'Moon In June' - Soft Machine
10)'Cinema Show/Isle of Plenty' - Genesis
Many of the songs on this list remain constant, but there is some fluctuating every so often.
09-07-2001, 06:55 PM
Here they are, listed alphabetically-
2112 - Rush
Atom Heart Mother - Floyd
Careful with that Axe Eugene-Floyd (preferrably the Live at Montreaux ROIO version - way outtasite)
Echoes - Floyd (either Pompeii or Exploding your Mind ROIO versions)
Embryo - Floyd
Fountain of Lamneth - Rush
La Villa Strangiato - Rush
Necromancer - Rush
Throw Down the Sword - Wishbone Ash
Warrior - Wishbone Ash
10-05-2001, 10:56 PM
In semi-random order:
Babe I'm Gonna Leave You - Led Zeppelin
That's The Way - Led Zeppelin
Thank You - Led Zeppelin
The Rain Song - Led Zeppelin
Analog Kid - Rush
La Villa Strangiato - Rush
YYZ - Rush
Jacob's Ladder - Rush
Freewill - Rush
Wait For Sleep - Dream Theater
Well for me this would change as often as the wind blows (and my mood changes) but right now here's what comes to mind:
1. Firth of Fifth _ Genesis
2. Echoes_Pink Floyd
3. Super's Ready _ Genesis
4. Close to the Edge _ Yes
5. Cinema Show _ Genesis
6. Fountain of Lamneth _ Rush
8. Carpet of the Sun _ Renaissance
9. Shine on you Crazy Diamond_ Floyd
10.Nuclear Apathy_ Crack the Sky
I'm sure I missed something.....
10-08-2001, 11:35 AM
here's mine :
1. Pink Floyd : Echoes
2. Jetho Tull : Thick as A Brick
3. Camel : Ice
4. Jethro Tull : Moths
5. Yes : Run Through The Light
6. Caravan : The Love in Your Eyes and the rest of it
7. Camel : Lady Fantasy
8. Caravan : For Richard
9. Pink Floyd : Shine On You Crazy Diamond
10. Yes : The Spirit of survival (maybe it's too fresh and I'm too too influenced by it!)
vBulletin v3.6.2, Copyright ©2000-2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.