PDA

View Full Version : Your all-time favorite TRACK

clactdj
12-29-2002, 06:21 PM
OK, this one is exceptionally tough. You can only pick ONE. What is the one single track that you enjoy the most in all of Progdom? Name the track, the artist, and the album it came from.

Several tracks come to mind for me-
Pink Floyd's Echoes, Genesis' Watcher of the Skies, and Renaissance' Ashes Are Burning. But the one track that most consistently keeps my attention is :

Close To The Edge-Yes
from the album Close To The Edge.

My favorite part is "I Get Up, I Get Down, where the vocals counterpoint and harmonize over the mellow continuo Rick creates, and then the pipe organ crescendo absolutely gives me goosebumps. I also like the way it starts and ends with the estuary effect.

byzantium
12-29-2002, 07:31 PM
Tough call...

I think my candidate is King Crimson's "Starless" on Red. It has everything...

Anekdoten's "Karelia" on Vemod is also exceptional, although it's slightly derivative.

Powerslave
12-30-2002, 10:01 AM
Well if you can count Part 1 and Part 2 as one 29-minute track, then I would say Rush's "Cygnus X-1" is my favorite. I like having the most bang for my buck, so if I can't do that I would say it's a tie between "The Gates Of Delirium" by Yes and Genesis's "Supper's Ready."

How's THAT for bending the rules! :D

zvinki
12-30-2002, 10:33 AM
I would have to say La Villa Strangiato from Rush's Hemispheres disc. It has motivated me to pursue greatness for many years.

KeithieW
12-30-2002, 03:20 PM
Very hard!!!

It would have to be Ritual from Tales from Topographic Oceans by Yes.

I heard them do this in 1973/4 and it blew me away completely. I've been in love with it ever since. The build up that ends in the "At all, At all" section is breathtaking and when they performed it on the Magnification tour recently I thought I'd died and gone to heaven.

Bless you Jon Anderson!!!!

Avian
12-30-2002, 07:25 PM
Hmmm... for me, id would have to be Ommadawn Part 1..

Slipperman
01-02-2003, 09:47 PM
For me It's got to be "Supper's Ready"; Genesis-Foxtrot.

gregorio alfaro
01-04-2003, 11:21 AM
mmmmmm really hard, but i think the one that made the biggest impression on me is "No tree will grow (on too high a mountain)" from To the Highest Bidder by Dutch band Supersister.

this lyrics: "Life is no good friend
good friendship never ends.
the more you feel you've grown
the more you feel alone.
start boasting your friends away
you think that is life 'your way'
though you know no tree will grow on too high a mountain"

jut got me thinking for a looong time.

clactdj
01-05-2003, 07:57 AM
Slipperman-

I considered "Supper's Ready" also. Overall, it is a fantastic track. My one complaint with it is the cold vocal at the very beginning. It just doesn't feel right to me. If it had an instrumental intro like "Firth of Fifth", it may have made it.

That track has some very engaging grooves in it.

Slipperman
01-07-2003, 10:03 PM
clactdj-

I can see how jumping right into the piece with vocals ("Walking across the sitting room...") rather than having an instrumental intro might be bothersome ot some; I kind of like it myself. To each his own.

Stil, Picking "Supper's Ready" as the best teck seems kind of like cheating, since it's really several tracks rolled into one. If that were to disqualify it, Firth would also be a good choice.

I could also go with Thick As A Brick- but that kind of seems like cheating too due to the length.

Slipperman
01-07-2003, 10:04 PM
Oh, and how do you folks get the album covers to go with your posts?

progdirjim
01-09-2003, 12:04 PM
Click on user cp (next to the Aural Moon logo); click on edit options; scroll to the bottom and select your avatar (there are pages of them).

Have fun!

dinosaur
01-09-2003, 12:24 PM
For me, it's gotta be: Yes - Gates of Delirium, from Relayer.

gregorio alfaro
01-09-2003, 07:41 PM
thanks progdirjim!!

Just to show you my avatar

Slipperman
01-09-2003, 10:14 PM
Thanks, progdirjim, for the instructions on the avatar.

So how do you like it?

Andy
01-11-2003, 08:25 PM
It is virtually impossible for me to pick a favourite band/album/track OF ALL TIME, mainly because I haven't probably heard it yet. There is so much good prog stuff out there....

This is my choice (it just came to me)

IN THE CAGE - GENESIS (from THE LAMB LIES DOWN ON BROADWAY)

I also like the version on THREE SIDES LIVE, even though it incorporates bits of THE CINEMA SHOW and SLIPPERMAN.

The track is great because every time I listen to it, the rhythm instruments seem to be totally at odds with each other. But it works!

A tough call!!!

Extended Play
01-12-2003, 07:31 PM
Zappa's RDNZL (Redunzel) goes down as my favorite prog.

Tommy

Geos
01-14-2003, 09:10 PM
For me, I think it should be "Pais Dos Sonhos Verdes" form the "Grande Espirito" album of the band "Sagrado". When you listen attentively to the song, you can elevate yourself and get a glimpse of heaven ! ;)

Yesspaz
01-15-2003, 01:03 PM
Awaken - Yes

close second - Gates of Delirium - Yes
close third - Echoes - Pink Floyd

Graham
01-16-2003, 04:41 AM
I believe that Atom Heart Mother by Pink Floyd has to be one of the best pieces of music.

Rael
01-16-2003, 02:00 PM
Alright, it was supposed to be just one but since no one else is able to contain themselves to just one.... (not that this makes it any easier ;}

Echoes - Pink Floyd (My very first prog album when @ the age of 12)

Runner-ups:
Suppers Ready - Genesis
Close to the Edge - Yes

Bob Lentil
01-29-2003, 04:12 PM
The Analog Kid - Rush

Radik
02-04-2003, 10:50 AM
MY FAVE TRAX:

KC:
- early - Circus /1971/;
- with J.Wetton - Starless /1974/
- reincarnated with A.Belew - Two Hands /1982/, Sleepless, Nuages /1984/;
- 4th incarnation - One Time /1995/.

Yes:
- Yours Is No Disgrace /1971/;
- Close to the Edge /1972/;
- The Gates of Delirium /1974/.

Genesis:
- Musical Box /1971/;
- Dancing with the Moonlight Knight /1973/.

Jethro Tull:
- Wounded, Old & Treacherous /1995/.

Van der Graaf Generator:
- Pilgrims /1976/.

Rush
- before "2112" - not for this list;
- before "Moving Pictures" - La Villa Strangiato /1978/;
- after "Power Windows" - Cold Fire /1993/;
- between "MP" & "PW": Tom Sawyer, Vital Signs /1981/, Subdivisions /1982/, Between the Wheels /1984/, Territories /1985/.

Kansas - Magnum Opus /1976/.

Dream Theater - Learning to Live /1992/.

Ozzy Osbourne - Diary of a Madman /1981/.

Metallica - Outlaw Torn /1996/.

Iced Earth - Dante's Inferno /1995/.

Led Zeppelin:
- metal blues - Since I've Been Loving You /1970/;
- prog-hard - Rover /1975/.

The quantity-per-group-ratio doesn't signify my attitude to one's musical legacy in whole.
Actually, the question of favourite track is just A MATTER OF FORMAT.

Neil T
02-16-2003, 12:26 AM
You ask us to name just one favourite yet you can't do that yourself, naming severqal in your own post.

Well, I would go with Awaken by Yes.

But there are several others that I could go for depending on my mood.

Tubular Bells part 1 is right up there as a contender, not to mention several other Yes Classics.

Rick and Roll
02-21-2003, 10:34 PM
"Green-Eyed Lady", by Sugarloaf.

progdirjim
02-23-2003, 01:21 AM
Green eyed lady? that's a joke, right? but I don't get it....

clactdj
02-23-2003, 08:06 AM
Actually, there is an album version of Green-Eyed Lady. It's close to seven minutes long and has some extended jamming on it. This was definitely "progressive" back when it was released. Some great jazzy organ work on this one. I know it was a "hit" and was overplayed, but that does not make it "not progressive".

Another great track by this band is "Bach Doors Man/Chest Fever". Nothing earth-shattering, just good organ-based early 70s prog rock.

I could think of better examples of prog, but Prog, like everything else has its fringes. They didn't have the term "neo-prog" back then....

Rick and Roll
02-23-2003, 03:54 PM
Regarding you response to "Green-Eyed Lady" -

How could you possibly classify that a joke? You could read my postings to some other questions, too!

Progressive music does not mean weird - why don't you just play only "Thinking Plague" or something like that? Oh and don't worry - I listen to plenty of progressive stuff that fits your category.

I'm sure that you played newer Genesis, older Supertramp, post-Fish Marillion, too many other examples of to mention.

Where would you classify a band like XTC? And is Iron Maiden automatically metal?

Try to act a little less pompous next time!

To clactdj - Thank you for the mention of the 7-minute album version, but that's what I was referring to! I am not responsible for what the radio does to songs. Those cut versions of tunes are disgusting (like the old "light My Fire", etc.)

progdirjim
02-23-2003, 10:04 PM
Wow, I meant no offense, really. I apologize.

I've always liked the track, but I still wouldn't call it progressive. You might, and neither of us is wrong - different opinions, and I respect yours. It is surprising to me that someone would list "Green Eyed Lady" as a favorite prog song, but I don't mean that in any pompous or superior fashion, honestly. I responded out of curiosity, and I tried to inject some humour - I am sorry that it seemed like an insult, that was not my intention. I actually wanted to hear why you chose that song - if I truly was pompous, I wouldn't have even responded.

dinosaur
02-24-2003, 10:30 AM
As an occasional participant in these running converstaions, I can tell you that very few of us is pompous (on purpose). I believe this is especially true of progdirjim who has been very much open to all ideas, and forthcoming with his own about programming direction.
Hang in there Rick and Roll. This is a great place for musical exploration and discourse.
I also like Green Eyed Lady. I often gaged the mettle of a radio station by whether it played the extended version or not.

Rick and Roll
02-24-2003, 05:18 PM
Thanks for your replies - you ask why I consider that song "progressive" - should I have picked a 10 minute plus tune? If so, go with the "Musical Box", "In A Glass House", "Canto IV" (a great Discipline Track), "Birth" by Focus (actually 8 minutes), or in my view the best song ever written, "Pirates" by ELP. Green-Eyed Lady is my favorite song.

I have never seen an adequate definition of "progressive" - man I hate labels - and I'm sure it is not defined - I don't consider "Progressive Metal" bands such as Ice Age or Braindance any more progressive than Sabbath or Maiden.

Maybe this could be a future discussion topic - my earlier question about XTC (Progressive Pop?) may be a place to start.

Food for thought.

Neil T
02-24-2003, 11:30 PM
>>>
I have never seen an adequate definition of "progressive" - man I hate labels - and I'm sure it is not defined - I don't consider "Progressive Metal" bands such as Ice Age or Braindance any more progressive than Sabbath or Maiden.
<<<

When the term was first in popular currency I read a definition a couple of times that seemed to make sense. It defines progressive as using classical structures and forms which progress from one "tune" to another without returning to the same place it was before i.e. as distinct from the "verse chorus repeat" format of more conventional songs.

I'm not certain if this is true, but it does seem to fit with the concept as it originally evolved.

By that definition most classical music would qualify almost by definition. Green Eyed Lady, technically wouldn't, because it's fairly straightforward and repetitive structurally. The same goes for some (not all) of the jazz which gets played here, a lot of which is complex improvisations around a simple and repetitive structure. i.e. not structurally progressive.

That said, the definition did (and to some extent still does) go a little over my head.

Frankly, I wouldn't want to get pedantic over format. I want to hear music structurally complex enough to be interesting and to retain that interest over multiple listening.

"Progressive" is a good place to start but I'll happilly listen to anything from classical to reggae so long as it's got that added musical depth that takes it out of the mainstream and, in fact, like to have some variety within those broad boundries.

byzantium
02-25-2003, 08:54 AM
I think the essence of 'progressive rock' boils down to complexity which challenged - and still challenges - the traditional rock concept.

An even more generous definition would allow also "non-complex" rock music to be called progressive, for example music that comes with the label 'ambient or 'post rock', which - of course - also contests the notions people have of rock music.

KeithieW
02-25-2003, 10:04 AM
The dictionary defines "progressive" as, amongst other things, "FAVOURING NEW IDEAS".

With Time signatures other than the usual 4/4, with track lengths other than 3-4 minutes and subjects other than Boy meets Girl, Musicians who write and perform pieces that encompass these and other new ideas could all be termed "Progressive". One of the earliest Prog musicians, then, was Beethoven who, when his 3rd Symphony timed in at about 45 minutes stunned the world who were used to the 20-25 minute symphonies of Schubert and Haydn. When Stravinsky came up with "The Rite of Spring" with it's discords and weird and wonderful time signatures all overlaid upon each other to create a beautiful cacophany that, too, was Progressive. Likewise when Yes and Jethro Tull, Pink floyd and PFM, Genesis and, dare I say it? Celestial Navigations.......sorry Davin, come up with 'New Ideas' that is Progressive Rock.

Whatever definition we give it, Prog Rock is one of the most spell binding, awe inspiring and downright beautiful genres in music and I thank god that there are still musicians out there willing to experiment with New Ideas and take chances.

Long may they do so.

As Frasier Crane says, I'M LISTENING!!!

JRV
02-25-2003, 07:31 PM
Progressive Rock (http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/features/dictionary/DictionaryResults.aspx?refid=1861736643)

If the esteemed Mr. Gates has it right, and at least in this case, I believe he has, it's much less esoteric, complicated and hifalutin than we all thought.

Well...I guess I might quibble about the early 70s part. I think prog started in 1967 with Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. But that's a subject for another thread.

clactdj
02-25-2003, 08:48 PM
JRV-

I would be inclined to agree except for the fact that The Moody Blues' "Days of Future Passed" was released prior to Sgt. Pepper.

But that's a subject fro another thread....
:p :p :p :p :p :cool:

JRV
02-25-2003, 09:00 PM
....but I decide which is right, clactdj, and which is an illusion...

Rick and Roll
02-25-2003, 09:35 PM
How very interesting that when defining Progressive, one contradicts themself (that has to be poor grammar somehow). I just listened to "Stagnation" coming back from from work - very repetitive, very mellow - and a hell of a tune.

Jethro Tull (my favorite band) - 90% non-Progressive - many repetitive moments. I really don't think Ian Anderon considers himself "Prog".

Moody Blues and Beatles, very song-oriented - yet Prog in their own way - and I agree with them being the start of it all - however, some would argue "Pet Sounds" as Progressive.

Classical music prog? Could be, but I think they were just really high.

Isn't this fun?

JRV
02-25-2003, 10:33 PM
one contradicts themself (that has to be poor grammar somehow)

Actually, it's Progressive Grammar. Technically elaborate and sometimes experimental. But that's a subject for another thread.

Yesspaz
02-26-2003, 03:07 PM
If we were to debate fully the first progressive album, how about The Mother's of Invention! That, I believe, was 1964.

Yesspaz
02-26-2003, 03:15 PM
If we were to define "progressive" rock, I'd say that you'd first have to look at the beginning of rock itself. Rock started as a melding of blues, gospel, soul, and country. Think Elvis Presley, Buddy Holly, Little Richard, and Chuck Berry. As Muddy Waters said, "The Blues had a baby, and they named the baby Rock and Roll." So we had all these blues and soul and country based acts. To me, "progressive" rock is rock that breaks away from the original roots. Therefore, classical and jazz were the initial inspirations, and to a lesser extent, world music (think George Harrison). I think today that "progressive rock" generally means rock that follows in the footsteps of the original prog-rockers:

rock music that challenges form and structure, time and instrumentation, complexity and theme.

Yesspaz now broke because that was his last two cents.

JRV
02-26-2003, 05:36 PM
Or else it's like jazz: If you have to ask what it is, you'll never know.

progdirjim
02-27-2003, 01:33 PM
the best definition I ever heard for progressive was: I can't define it, but I know it when I hear it.

As long as one remains open minded, that definition works pretty well

Tayo
04-11-2003, 10:52 AM
I always change my mind for top song

Close to the Edge or And you and I by Yes
Shine on you Crazy Diamond (pts 1-9) ,Echoes, or Dogs from Pink Floyd
Song for America or Icarus,Borne on Wings of Steel from Kansas
One from the Vine,Afterglow,Eleventh Earl of Mar from Genesis

ivan_2068
04-11-2003, 08:34 PM
It's very hard to choose just one song, but my all time favourite (today at 8:39 pm) is

Fountain of Salmacis....Genesis....Nursery Cryme

This song IMHO defines Genesis (Well early Genesis), great keyboards, excellent guitar, inteligent lyrics and Peter's voice at his peak. Too sad that drums on Nursery Cryme sound so poor.

Iván

Rick and Roll
04-11-2003, 09:31 PM
Tayo -

Dogs is a song no one really forwards as their favorite Floyd tune, but it is mine - a fantastic blend of acoustic guitar, dirty lead guitar, and space stuff in the middle. An excellent choice.

Ivan - is IMHO mean "In My Humble Opinion"?

Tayo
04-11-2003, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Rick and Roll
Tayo -

Dogs is a song no one really forwards as their favorite Floyd tune, but it is mine - a fantastic blend of acoustic guitar, dirty lead guitar, and space stuff in the middle. An excellent choice.

Ivan - is IMHO mean "In My Humble Opinion"? I was lucky enough too see Roger Waters preform "Dogs" a couple years ago at Madison Square Garden during the "In The Flesh" tour.In my opinion,the highlight of the concert. I actually thought it sounded better then when Pink Floyd did it way back in 1977 during the "Animals" tour.

Rick and Roll
04-11-2003, 10:26 PM
I was always partial to Gilmour over Waters. However, I can see your point about Waters doing that song better. I've found Gilmour hit or miss live. Sometimes he sounds fantastic, and at others he can sound like crap (e.g. that guest performance with Pete Townsend on video).

I missed the Waters shows. As many shows as I've seen, I guess I could have traded in something like the Plasmatics for that (hey, it was high school)!

Or maybe the band were too stoned in 77, or you were not stoned enough.

ivan_2068
04-11-2003, 10:30 PM
Ivan - is IMHO mean "In My Humble Opinion"?

Yes Rick and Roll, I use this initials because there's no absolutes in music, and probably some people will believe Fountain of Salmacis doesn't define Genesis or simply disagree with my opinion.

Iván

HORDE
04-22-2003, 01:55 PM
I love Gentle Giants: "Edge Of Twilight" because it is so haunting to me. It invokes some very interesting feelings. Excellent vocals!

The moon is down
Casting its shadow over the night-haunted town
Mystical figures under the silence of light

The trembling air
Drifts slowly unseen over the houses there
And echoes changing into the voices of night

On the edge of twilight whispering
Whisper, whisper, whisper, whisper,
On the edge of twilight whispering
Whisper, whisper, whisper, whisper

Elusive time
In limbo active in never ending mime
The edge of twilight into the darkness of day

gilbertopb
05-03-2003, 10:53 PM
The one?

Awaken - from Going for the One - Yes

This is my main inspiration for all moments.
The next is The Revealing Science of God, from Tales From Topographics Oceans, also from Yes.

black max
05-05-2003, 10:47 AM
>>>I was always partial to Gilmour over Waters.

It's all a matter of opinion, but to my mind there's never been a better musical example of "the whole exceeding the sum of the parts" than Waters and Gilmour. When they were working together and not going at each other's throats, they wrote some of the finest music we've ever been privileged to hear. On their own, they've produced some moderately interesting stuff (I like Gilmour's first album enough to own it, the rest of his and Waters' catalog I don't bother with), but nothing with the lasting impact of Floyd. And some people will disagree pretty loudly, but I find post-Waters PF for the most part lame, bloated, and uninteresting.

black max
05-05-2003, 10:52 AM
It's not my favorite Yes track or anything, but "On the Wings of Silent Freedom" is a major standout that sometimes gets forgotten. They played it a couple of months ago on the Gagliarchives and I realized I hadn't heard it in years. Worse, I don't own Tormato on CD, and even worse, my turntable needs repair. Thank God for the Internet and the quasi-legal downloading of MP3s. Hearing it on my cheesy computer speakers is much better than not hearing it at all.

And I can't believe with all the Yes fans around that no one's named "Starship Trooper" as a favorite track.

Rick and Roll
05-05-2003, 09:57 PM
I'm guessing that if you asked for a top 10 of Yes tunes, then Trooper would be in 90% of the lists (it would be on mine). It's just that there's always a tune that beats it out for "favorite".

Tormato is a real paradox. It gets routinely blasted, and the sound is of really poor quality, but it's got some bitchin' tunes. Freedom, Onward, Don't Kill The Whale, Release Release and Future Times are all great. For me, I just love Chris Squire, and those songs reek of his influence.

I just realized that I don't on it on CD either! What's going on here!

Good point about the Waters/Gilmour collaboration - why is it always that creative tension is so necessary? It sure does breed results. There are a few decent cuts on post-waters Floyd (Keep Talking is a gem) but I agree with your general assessment. I also find the Final Cut boring as hell, but that's me. I guess.

Another piece of evidence that their music was special - I always forget about how boring Nick Mason is!

Bob Lentil
05-06-2003, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by black max
And I can't believe with all the Yes fans around that no one's named "Starship Trooper" as a favorite track.

Starship Trooper got to much radio play for any self-respecting prog rock enthusiast to declare it their favorite track. You can't be tossing around songs that an average person might actually recognize.

progdirjim
05-06-2003, 04:30 PM
I also find the Final Cut boring as hell, but that's me. I guess.

Another piece of evidence that their music was special - I always forget about how boring Nick Mason is!

Final Cut - boring, agreed. Nick Mason boring - disagree. While far from the best drummer out there (I may be better than him), his taste is impeccable - every fill he does, however simple, is PERFECT for the music. I try to learn from all drummers I listen to, and from Nick Mason I've learned restraint and taste more than from any other drummer.

KeithieW
05-06-2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by progdirjim

Nick Mason boring - disagree. While far from the best drummer out there (I may be better than him), his taste is impeccable - every fill he does, however simple, is PERFECT for the music. I try to learn from all drummers I listen to, and from Nick Mason I've learned restraint and taste more than from any other drummer.

Agree with you there Jim. Watching Live at Pompei film the other day I was VERY impressed with NM's work on that.....and it was beautifully filmed too!!

black max
05-07-2003, 03:27 PM
>>>every fill he does, however simple, is PERFECT for the music.

Absolutely. Nick does more with less than any drummer I know of. Most of the drummers that I admire tend to assault the drum kit like the Allies on Normandy Beach, but Mason is an exemplification of "less is more." Perfect for the Floyd sound, also, since Gilmour is much the same as a blues/rock guitarist.

Chuck Okun of Djam Karet spent his time at Mason's virtual feet, I feel sure.

black max
05-07-2003, 03:29 PM
And yes, The Final Cut is boring beyond belief, but it was essentially (as I understand it -- correct me if I'm wrong) a Waters solo album with Nick Mason, Michael Kamen replacing Rick Wright (gaaah), and very limited input from David Gilmour. Barely qualifies as an "official" PF album.

Rick and Roll
05-07-2003, 08:43 PM
Jim - I also show great restraint while drumming.

I'll concede one thing - he's more enjoyable than watching Hart & Kreutzmann (sp?) from the Dead beat on the stage with their sticks. Double Gaaaah!

Tarkus
05-09-2003, 07:07 AM
I chose the name before answering this thread...honest!..:)

Tough decision ....
I would have to say the "Eruption" suite from ELP Tarkus.

rick_wakeman
05-09-2003, 05:37 PM
fish in yessongs

roger
05-10-2003, 12:48 PM
Magnum Opus by Kansas... it always freaks out my middle school music students when I play it... :cool:

it was good to hear some people talk about Tormato, back a page or two. I always liked that album.

black max
05-10-2003, 02:01 PM
Good stuff from Kansas back then. Dave Hope and Phil Ehart comprise a very underrated rhythm section.

roger
05-10-2003, 03:18 PM
they were very tight. the whole band were really consummate musicians...

I just have to say it is so cool to find a place where people know these guys names... most people think I'm a freak and start looking at me funny whenever I start talking about Kansas, etc... :cool:

Rick and Roll
05-11-2003, 09:35 PM
In 7th grade (eons ago), we had to take a song and analyze it. Someone did "Sparks of the Tempest", and got extra points for alliteration (Soothsayer Saying). By the way, I did Foreigner's "At War With The World).

Is your "Two eyes" quote from "Mysteries and Mayhem"?

And, how do you like the Proto-Kaw? I think there's even some VanDerGraff elements in there.

progdirjim
05-11-2003, 11:04 PM
The two eyes quote is from "Dodo", from Genesis' Abacab.

Proto-kaw is a great album I think (but then I'm the one who added it to AM!) More experimental than Kansas was, and mixed in some other odd elements (jazz, etc)

Avian
05-12-2003, 12:19 AM
The really odd thing is that I can't imagine them touring the midwest (especially Wichita) with that music - very "out there" for the time!

Avian

Yesspaz
05-12-2003, 07:30 PM
Both the Final Cut and the Division Bell are among my favorite Floyd albums. I'd put TFC as the single most underappreciated album of all time.

Rick and Roll
05-12-2003, 11:09 PM
The line I was thinking of was "I saw eyes that looked right through me" - I should have used a lifeline.

Yesspaz - there's nothing wrong with being the weird one - I enjoy your honesty and ideas.

black max
05-13-2003, 11:21 AM
Hard to believe anyone holds such a fondness for The Final Cut, but I won't argue. However, my ex-wife got to keep that CD when we divvied everything out. :)

Rick and Roll
05-14-2003, 06:54 AM
You're all heart,man. Good choice.

roger
05-14-2003, 08:47 AM
And, how do you like the Proto-Kaw? I think there's even some VanDerGraff elements in there. [/B]

I must admit<hides with shame>, that I am Proto-Kaw challenged... anybody recommend a good first album to get?

I saw Kansas in about '79, in Rapid City, SD. what a great show... it was a great summer: Kansas, Boston, Foreigner, Doobies, Heart, AC/DC, Aerosmith, April Wine, too many to remember... :cool:

black max
05-14-2003, 10:00 AM
She got our copy of The Wall, too. That wasn't such a good thing, but my current wife has a copy, so it worked itself out.

I AM all heart ;)

progdirjim
05-14-2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by roger

I must admit<hides with shame>, that I am Proto-Kaw challenged... anybody recommend a good first album to get?

Proto-Kaw is an album recently released on Cuneiform of music from Kansas' precursor (pre-Steve Walsh) - it has some older versions of Kansas tracks and some unheard stuff. We have it on AM listed under Kansas - give it a listen. Good stuff!

Avian
05-14-2003, 01:13 PM
I think I heard a rumor of a second Proto-Kaw release at some point.

Avian

Rick and Roll
05-14-2003, 10:40 PM
Let us know, Roger, what you think of the Proto-Kaw when you hear it.

April Wine, huh? That was real big in high school - I never did get any of their stuff - there's a best of floating around - is it worth it?

I didn't get to see Heart until they got fat - and no Fisher & Fossen - I felt cheated.

What kind of music do you teach?

Avian - another Proto-Kaw release? Is this like the Star Wars Prequels? I think my head is going to explode. I wonder what they will put on it- there's a live song on the first that's lacking (although the rest is great) - I hope the next one's not filler.

black max
05-15-2003, 11:19 AM
April Wine did standard FM rock, nothing of any great note, though they did have the moxie to try a cover of "21st Century Schizoid Man." They were probably better than, say, Loverboy, but they've managed to stay off of my radar screen.

But that's just me, all you Wineheads out there are entitled to your own opinions! ;)

roger
05-15-2003, 06:32 PM
heh. I'm not a huge April Wine fan, I was just remembering a good concert! they actually opened for Aerosmith and blew them away. of course, Steven Tyler could hardly stand up...
I wouldn't spend any money on them now. :p

I teach choral and general music in a 5-8 public school. it's a good school with a lot of support for music. that's getting to be a rarity these days! we have over 60% of the student body in our performance groups, so things are good.

looking forward to hearing some Proto-Kaw... :cool:

KeithieW
05-16-2003, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by roger
I teach choral and general music in a 5-8 public school. it's a good school with a lot of support for music. that's getting to be a rarity these days! we have over 60% of the student body in our performance groups, so things are good.

Marvelous Roger. I admire anyone who teaches music to others. Got to keep the legacy going!! Do your students perform regularly and if so what have they done? I heard a beautiful performance of Tallis' "Spem in Allium" the other day. In fact I'm listening to it, sung by The Clerkes of Oxenford, as I type. Wonderful stuff!

A bit off Thread I know but I'm just interested.

Guili
05-16-2003, 03:05 PM
My favorite Track of all time is "Firth of fifth" from Genesis, tough I don't know what that title means...

It is going to be hard to declassify this title. But since I listen to your station, I heard so many good stuff I may change my mind eventualy, hopefully :D

Guili

roger
05-16-2003, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Keith Waye

Marvelous Roger. I admire anyone who teaches music to others. Got to keep the legacy going!! Do your students perform regularly and if so what have they done? I heard a beautiful performance of Tallis' "Spem in Allium" the other day. In fact I'm listening to it, sung by The Clerkes of Oxenford, as I type. Wonderful stuff!

A bit off Thread I know but I'm just interested.

well, they're not quite ready for 40 part music! hahaha :o the Tallis is amazing piece...
we do primarily 2 and 3 part(SAB) music arrangements; right now we're doing music from musicals, Les Miz, Newsies, Pippin, etc. last year we did folk songs, pop songs, Beatles, etc., but I try to find challenging pieces that they have to work to make sound. very little fluff! I have about 150 kids in three choruses, 5-8 grades.
haven't found any good Kansas arrangements yet, though Dust in the Wind is available. guess I'll have to finally do those Genesis arrangements... :D