PDA

View Full Version : Poor Man's Moody Blues

KeithieW
01-29-2003, 03:18 AM
Barclay James Harvest have always been slagged off in the british press as "The Poor Man's Moody Blues" - They even recorded a track called this on one of their albums - but they are a good band for all of that.

If you want to get a good feel for their material I would suggest their 1974 album "BJH Live". It has some great tracks on it. Mockingbird, Summer Soldier, Medicine Man and Galadriel for example.

I'd be interested to know what you think.

Neil T
02-15-2003, 11:58 PM
I liked BJH, but I recently gave one of their albums a re-listening and it turned out to sound VERY dated and a little weak. The same with Uria Heep's Magician's Birthday. I loved it when it was new but it sounds a bit reedy nowadays.

progdirjim
12-28-2003, 11:25 PM
I ordered a greatest hits collection from BJH - we'll see...

roger
12-29-2003, 07:36 AM
I'll have to dig out my BJH vinyl... :cool:

Rick and Roll
12-29-2003, 10:10 AM
Brewer and Shipley's "One Toke Over The Line"?

Just kidding!

neilxt
12-31-2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Keith Waye
Barclay James Harvest have always been slagged off in the british press as "The Poor Man's Moody Blues"

I'd be interested to know what you think.

I just recently discovered that Robert John Godfrey was BJH's Keyboard player.

He founded one of my all time favourite prog bands - The Enid.

I'm dying to see some of their work posted here - I'm certain it would go down dambusters (sorry) and I really think the Americans should get a chance to hear what they've been missing.

KeithieW
01-05-2004, 05:21 AM
Originally posted by progdirjim
I ordered a greatest hits collection from BJH - we'll see...

Jim,

If you don't like the Greatest Hits package let me know and I'll send you the BJH live collection and you can see what you think of that in comparison.

I always found that they were one of those bands that came over much better live than in the studio. Not that their albums weren't any good, they were, but the live stuff is more immediate and raw. They always put on a good show and had a very loyal and knowledgable following.

progdirjim
01-05-2004, 04:19 PM
Keithie,

Turns out the CD I got was live, from a fairly recent (1999 I think) concert. I like it, and it will be added - just waiting for Avian to do the next update.

The song "Poor Man's Moody Blues" steals openly from "Nights In White Satin", but is a good listen. Most of it is pretty nice stuff - not the most progressive album I've ever heard, but a solid add.

Rick and Roll
01-05-2004, 05:01 PM
500 CD's for the next update????

Seems like a lot, from your posts......

KeithieW
01-06-2004, 05:40 AM
Originally posted by progdirjim
The song "Poor Man's Moody Blues" steals openly from "Nights In White Satin", but is a good listen. Most of it is pretty nice stuff - not the most progressive album I've ever heard, but a solid add.

Good to hear that Jim.

The Moody Blues steal was a conscious attempt at irony on behalf of the band. They were always being called "The Poor Man's Moody Blues" by the British music press and thought they'd "get their own back" by being just that.

Yesspaz
01-06-2004, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by Keith Waye

The Moody Blues steal was a conscious attempt at irony on behalf of the band. They were always being called "The Poor Man's Moody Blues" by the British music press and thought they'd "get their own back" by being just that.

So unlike most prog bands, they don't take themselves to seriously...

They got my vote ;)

progdirjim
01-06-2004, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Rick and Roll
500 CD's for the next update????

Seems like a lot, from your posts......

not 500, but there's well over 50 CDs in the next update...

Rick and Roll
01-06-2004, 02:43 PM
I will be listening intently!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rick and Roll
10-29-2005, 10:33 PM
I was searching for something and found this thread...I played the song in question by BJH a few weeks ago. Between that and not even remembering this thread at all, it's a weird circumstance...

KeithieW
10-30-2005, 01:18 AM
If you want to get a good feel for their material I would suggest their 1974 album "BJH Live". It has some great tracks on it. Mockingbird, Summer Soldier, Medicine Man and Galadriel for example.

Interesting you should open this thread again Rick. The Album that I mentioned in the original post has recently been added to the Playlist and I stick by my track recommendations. They really are great versions of some great songs.

Dantallion
05-10-2006, 09:47 AM
For the record, "Poor Man's Moody Blues" was not a blatant rip-off. It is a slightly rearranged "Nights in White Satin" with different lyrics. This was done with permission and blessing from the Moddy Blues.

kirk
05-13-2006, 12:07 PM
It is a little dated, but so is early Tull stuff.
I still enjoy hearing it.
-------------------------------------

On a side note- Moonies, please welcome my Yesfans brother
of several years, and a worthy musician in his own right,
Kevin AKA Dantallion!

Good to have some cross-polination Kevin!

Kirk

Rick and Roll
05-13-2006, 05:19 PM
Good to have some cross-polination Kevin!

Kirk

I enjoy cross-pollination as much as the next person, but please don't get any on me!:smirk:

kirk
05-13-2006, 05:23 PM
I enjoy cross-pollination as much as the next person, but please don't get any on me!:smirk:

Youse issa sick f**ker, Rick! LOL!!

:-V

K

Roger -Dot- Lee
05-13-2006, 09:11 PM

That has got to be one of the most disgusting degenerate things I've ever seen on this forum.

Good show Rick! :notworthy

Roger -Dot- Lee, Mah Boy's comin' along jes' fine!

kirk
05-13-2006, 10:53 PM
That has got to be one of the most disgusting degenerate things I've ever seen on this forum.

Good show Rick! :notworthy

Roger -Dot- Lee, Mah Boy's comin' along jes' fine!

heehee! Now, let's put on our company manners..
Kevin's a good dude, a good addition to the forum.

I know we only allow 1 per year....:rolleyes:

K

Rick and Roll
05-14-2006, 08:33 AM
Kevin's a good dude, a good addition to the forum.

I know we only allow 1 per year....:rolleyes:

K

forums are slow of late, it is good to see some new blood...

Roger -Dot- Lee
05-14-2006, 11:04 AM

But...butbut...but Kirk! Those ARE my company manners!

Roger -Dot- Lee, Really! Just ask around!

progdirjim
05-15-2006, 01:51 AM
Since I'm generally not allowed in decent company, I'm not sure I understand the concept of "company manners"?:knowing: :LOL:

Dantallion
05-16-2006, 09:20 AM
Howdy folks. Happy to add new blood . . . but I'm not Kevin. I don't believe I know any of you out here unless by sheer coincidence. I took this name from Yes's Tormato album, the song "Future Times" there is a lyric " . . . Dantallion will ride again . . .". Haven't a clue what it means but I like the name.

kirk
05-16-2006, 11:41 AM
Howdy folks. Happy to add new blood . . . but I'm not Kevin. I don't believe I know any of you out here unless by sheer coincidence. I took this name from Yes's Tormato album, the song "Future Times" there is a lyric " . . . Dantallion will ride again . . .". Haven't a clue what it means but I like the name.

Oh,sorry! My bud Kevin uses the name for his project.
I had no idea where it came from.:dunno:

An honest mistake. At any rate, Welcome to the forum!:salute
now, I need to hit Yesfans, explain to Kevin what the hell I was
talking about on another thread.:urp:

kirk

wildk
06-03-2006, 12:39 PM
Going back to BJH. I remember a great gig in Birmingham in about 78 /79. It was after Woolly had left and they had two keyboards instead. Very atmospheric!

They're now two bands with some kinda dispute between Les and whats his name.

Wildk