PDA

View Full Version : No Dream Theater?

black max
04-22-2003, 02:37 PM
Tell me the search results were wrong.

Yesspaz
04-23-2003, 04:37 PM
Hey Avian and Jim, what is this? Round Four or Round Five?!!

Avian
04-23-2003, 05:17 PM
Hey!

In our defense, Tom and Extended Play have featured Dream Theater albums as well as Queensryche!

We'll be adding a few tracks from DT, but that's about it. It's our opinion that while some DT qualifies as progressive, the bulk of their catalog is not.

Flame on!

Avian

byzantium
04-23-2003, 07:00 PM
I haven't listened Dream Theater at all, but I got these two Liquid Tension Experiment albums which feature two(three?) Dream Theater members and Tony Levin. It's not my cup of prog-tea, but I enjoy it. How far is LTE from DT musically?

Avian
04-23-2003, 08:09 PM
Both LTE and BLS are much, much more progressive than the average DT fare.

Avian

Bob Lentil
04-23-2003, 09:53 PM
I think most Dream Theater is more progressive than half of the Rush material you've got posted here. But I've got most of their albums, so I don't really care if they go up or not.

Rick and Roll
04-24-2003, 11:45 PM
Liquid Tension Experiment is just four great musicians jamming. BLS is just three jamming. They are NOT more progressive than Dream Theater. It is just a jam session. Dream Theater is progressive as they come. In fact, their material over the past few years is too complicated. I think they've lost their edge.

Of course, you said that Vapor Trails was progressive (hack cough). I have all or almost all of the stuff by most of the big "prog" bands as Bob says, so it matters not to me what's played or posted. I listen to hear stuff I may not know.

I did not see any Discipline except for the 1995 Progday version of Homegrown. I think the listeners would dig their stuff, especially "Unfolded Like Staircase". Also more Ozric Tentacles would be enjoyable to most. And Echolyn.

Byzantium - those bands you mentioned are different from one another - if you like them, great. Just that LTE is very heavy in spots.

Yesspaz
04-25-2003, 09:44 AM
I did some checking and I believe that this is Dream Theater debate, Round Four.:rolleyes:

Extended Play
04-25-2003, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Avian
Hey!

In our defense, Tom and Extended Play have featured Dream Theater albums as well as Queensryche!

We'll be adding a few tracks from DT, but that's about it. It's our opinion that while some DT qualifies as progressive, the bulk of their catalog is not.

Flame on!

Avian

I can definitely see picking and choosing from the catalogue. However, the vast majority of their catalogue qualifies, IMHO.

As for stylistic focus, I think it's just as valid as LTE or any of the late 90s Rush (maybe moreso in fact). Let me know if you and Jim need any help with this, as I'd love to be involved in bringing the "cream of the crop" of DT material to Aural Moon.

Tommy

black max
04-25-2003, 11:04 AM
I had a feeling after I made that post that this wasn't the first time this discussion had taken place. No worries -- I'm not a huge DT fan, so if you guys decide not to add some tracks, it's no problem. Food for thought, however: if this keeps coming up so often, maybe it's because enough of the progressive listenership thinks DT is worthy of inclusion.

Naturally, that's been said, too.

Oh well, I'm also the guy who thinks that a few selected Stranglers tracks could sneak in under the tent.

progdirjim
04-28-2003, 01:01 AM
OK, so which Stranglers tracks? I have two of their discs...

All we (Avian and I) can do is apply our best judgment - and we both feel that DT is marginally if at all prog. We acknowledge that we seem to be in the minority in that opinion, and that makes me always willing to listen to recommended DT tracks, but I have not yet been able to bring myself to buy any of their albums. Quite awhile back (round two or three, Yesspaz), I did find a clip of a song that I thought was quite good, and I posted a message to the forums requesting that someone e-mail me the MP3 of the whole song. I wrote "If the rest of it is as good as the clip I heard, we'll add the whole song" - and no one took me up on it.

Anyway, keep the suggestions, criticisms, counteropinions, complaints, and compliments coming - I read every message in the forums, and they influence my buying and programming dramatically. Look for 2 Van Der Graaf Generator albums coming soon - and I've long said I don't care for them. But there was enough positive feedback on them to get me to continue checking them out - and I either found the right albums, or grew to like them - I'm still deciding which.

Tommy, I'll e-mail ya about which DT tracks to start with! Thanks!

black max
04-28-2003, 11:26 AM
Picking "proggy" Stranglers is a tough one. Their original bent was for rough tough punk with more musicianship than the average CBGBers. Their first two albums are among their best, but too raw and punky for AM, I think. I'd suggest listening to these albums and making judicious selections: "Black and White," "The Raven," and "The Gospel According to the Men In Black." Also songs like "Golden Brown" and their remake of "Walk on By" are worth listening to for inclusion. If you go much past that period, though, the band went limp, cranking out flaccid Eurosludge (my opinion). My personal favorite track, "Toiler of the Sea" from "B&W," does a good job of combining their prog and punk sounds.

I don't own any DT either. I have a few MP3s, that's about it. I much prefer LTE. Still, though, if I had to categorize them, I'd have to hand the "prog" tag around their necks. Don't know if they'd agree.

Yesspaz
04-30-2003, 07:39 PM
If you are looking for DT albums cheap, try www.half.com or www.ebay.com

Steady Stan
05-01-2003, 08:58 AM
I vote for adding Dream Theater. To me, they are all about prog. Images & Words is an excellent cd all the way through. Other cd's aren't quite as consistent.

Ice Age is a similar band that I feel fits with AM.

zvinki
05-01-2003, 09:21 AM
I vote for no DT. Not because it isn't prog (which it is) but because it is not the type of prog rock that AM plays. Over the past couple of days I have been listening to Progrock.com, which plays DT and other bands with the edgier, guitar oriented prog. Progrock.com, although also a prog-based station, sounds nothing like AM ... and I like that. Nice to have variety and a choice.

Rick and Roll
05-01-2003, 09:15 PM
good to see a 2112 cover - just hope it's not a self-potrait!

I agree that Images and Words is the most consistent - but Aural Moon plays more of the other prog. I'm an old metalhead anyway, so I got all of the stuff I need from that genre.