PDA

View Full Version : How many CDs/Recordings Have Your Purchased?

Avian
05-10-2003, 08:06 PM
How many CDs or recordings have your purchased as a direct result of listening to Aural Moon?

KeithieW
05-11-2003, 04:00 AM
I've purchased over 10 CDs as a result of AM.

They include, 3 Utopia albums, Niacin, Greg Howard, Finisterre, Erik Norlander, Ryo Okumoto, Frank Gambale and a 3 of Ayreon's discs.

Fantastic stuff.

PS. I'd vote in the Poll but always get a message like this:

vBulletin Message
The action you have attempted could not be performed as your session appears to be invalid. Click the below link to attempt this action again with a new session.

Any ideas? This has happened since the first time I joined the forums. Nothing but trouble me!!! :rolleyes:

Bob Lentil
05-11-2003, 11:15 AM
I've picked up the following:

Anglagard - Hybris
Richard Leo Johnson - Fingertip Ship
Liquid Tension Experiment - Liquid Tension Experiment 2
Pain of Salvation - The Perfect Element
Porcupine Tree - In Absentia

Avian
05-11-2003, 01:07 PM
That's odd Keith. Then again, you have bad luck when it comes to us! :[)

Bob - did you vote in the poll above, BTW (want to make sure everyone's votes are counted).

Avian

Bob Lentil
05-11-2003, 02:49 PM
Yes, I did.

dinosaur
05-11-2003, 04:20 PM
including
Flower Kings, Finnforest, Ten Jinn, Anglagard, Tony Levin, Steve Hackett, Ayreon...
and dozens more to come, old and new, as fiscal conditions permit.

zvinki
05-12-2003, 05:51 AM
DFA's Work in Progress - Live & Djam Karet's New Dark Age but so many more that I want.

Josephus
05-12-2003, 01:53 PM
I bought one: King Crimson's latest one (probably would have bought it anyways, but didn't know it was out until I heard it here.)

Rick and Roll
05-12-2003, 11:13 PM
I would buy many more if I had the $ and time to listen. The station is doing a fantastic job of getting the music out there.

DFA - that's a good pickup!

black max
05-13-2003, 11:23 AM
I voted 1-5, but the number would be a lot higher if I had the bux.

ÄlveKatt
05-13-2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by black max
I voted 1-5, but the number would be a lot higher if I had the bux.

What he said.
So far i bought albums by Genesis, Arena and Spock's beard because of Aural moon. I have this textfile where i write down everything i like on aural moon for further checkup. It has alot of bandnames and records on it by now. And i will probably buy The rainmaker by The flower Kings in my next musicshopping spree. And more cds by Genesis.

I would probably prioratice that list more when i buy albums if it were easyer to find mp3s of this kind of music to testlisten it properly. I miss audiogalaxy.

odoggy
05-13-2003, 01:08 PM
More than ten - 2 Transatlantic, 3 Triumvirat, 3 Spocks Beard, 2 Renaissance, 1 Focus, 2 IQ.

I love this station, as should the RIAA!:D

black max
05-14-2003, 09:57 AM
>>>I miss audiogalaxy.

Try WinMX. It works fairly well, though not as good as Napster in its heyday, and best of all, it's free of spyware and adware.

CCPlatt
05-17-2003, 07:25 PM
"I love this station, as should the RIAA!"
(as per a previous post)
I'll second that emotion!

I've only been listening since March, and have bought three:
"The Power To Believe" (King Crimson)
"Red Queen To Gryphon Three" (Gryphon)
"Road Games" (Allan Holdsworth)

KeithieW
05-21-2003, 07:49 PM
Avian,

I'm so glad to see that everyone who has replied to the poll has bought at least one album as a result of listening to AM.

Excellent result and it just goes to prove what I've always thought......Show YOUR enthusiasm to other people in the right way and it will rub off on them and make them think about something in a different light.

Are you listening to AM Mr Blair???????

Well you should!!!!!!!!!!!

JR42
05-26-2003, 12:26 PM
I have probably bought only 2 or 3 directly from listening to this station (I voted in the 1-5group).

Enjoying these, I have then gone on to buy more in a 'cascade' effect (e.g. I bought Transatlantic, this led me to try Spock's Beard and some of the newer Marillion). So some might argue that the figure is higher (10+ by now). It depends how strict you want 'directly' to apply.

All round, very healthy for the music industry as far as I am concerned (slightly less so for my pocket..).

Keep up the good work.

Gerd Knops
05-28-2003, 12:41 PM
I'd really like to get my hands on Anglagards album Hybris, but it does not appear to be available anywhere... A previous poster mentioned he bought it, where did you find it?

Anyhow, I just started listening to AM a few weeks ago, and absolutely love it. So much music I never heard before... Solely based on hearing it at AM I bought so far:

Transatlantic: SMPTe
Kaipa: Notes from the Past
Porcupine Tree: Signify
Spock's Beard: Snow
Flower Kings: Space Revolver
Flower Kings: Rainmaker
Tempus Fugit: Tales From A Forgotten World
Buckethead: Colma (the e-drums are annoying though)

There is a lot that I really like and probably will end up buying: IQ, Ten Jinn, Firemonkey, Xinema, Höyry-Kone just to name a few. Plus I will probably add to my collection of Genesis, Gabriel, King Crimson, Gentle Giant and others...

Keep it coming!

byzantium
05-28-2003, 07:49 PM
I think we will see a reissue of the Änglagård albums in connection with their reunion this summer.

See also:

http://www.anglagard.net/

Bob Lentil
06-03-2003, 10:36 PM
I picked up my copy of Hybris on eBay. It shows up every couple weeks.

spedblavio
06-05-2003, 12:08 PM
so far:

Canarios - Ciclos
Harmonium - Si On Avait Besoin d’une Cinquième Saison

Naminanu
06-11-2003, 03:39 PM
I've bought about 5 directly, 3 indirectly, and 1 from another source.

2 Crucible (Excellent!!)
5 Galleon (You must add the other 3 albums!)
1 Spock's Beard
1 Iluvatar (indirect)

Err, this doesn't count the other Yes albums, a double
album tape of Kansas, and a host of other MP3's.....

Rick and Roll
06-11-2003, 09:02 PM
I have the first one - I know they have at least another on (Curtains?) - how is it?

Iluvatar is from my neck of the woods. If you do not have Children get that immediately. You will love it. The first one is also great. the third is pretty good.

Powerslave
06-12-2003, 08:39 AM
FYI Naminanu:

Galleon has four albums that are not available on the request list, not three. As a huge Galleon fan myself, I wanted to make sure you weren't missing one.

Lynx (1993)
Heritage & Visions (1994)
King Of Aragon (1995)
The All-European Hero (1996)
Mind Over Matter (1998) --my personal favorite
Beyond Dreams (2000)

The new 2-disc album will hopefully be completed and released this year.

BTW, I puchased all these albums after hearing them on AM.

progdirjim
06-12-2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Rick and Roll
I have the first one - I know they have at least another on (Curtains?) - how is it?

Curtains is good but of a lesser light than Tall Tales. Worth getting, but not quite the equal of Tall Tales. I should say that I think Tall Tales is an EXCELLENT album, so "not quite the equal of" is still pretty good.

We have Curtains on AM, so you can listen to it and decide for yourself!

Rick and Roll
06-12-2003, 01:32 PM
Very helpful.

Thanks Jim!

Naminanu
06-13-2003, 11:06 AM
Actually, I think I like the 2nd Crucible album better than the first. It took me a few listens to come to that
conclusion. The second album is closer to Genesis' Wind and Wuthering era. The only problem with the album is
that it is somewhat short time-wise.

I didn't realize that Galleon had another album called Mind over Matter. I don't recall seeing that on the Kinesis site.
Well, I guess this means that I'm one album short, and will need to make up for that!

Powerslave
06-16-2003, 12:19 PM
I think I got my copy from Kinesis; they don't always have a band's entire catalog in stock. If they aren't carrying it, try Syn-Phonic Music ( http://synphonic.8m.com/ ).

This is their "epic" album with the shortest track at around 8 minutes, 3 between 10 and 14 minutes and a 21-minute closer. Great stuff!

Scott Sloan
06-23-2003, 06:08 PM
I am a long-time listener to Prog Rock, but until I discovered AM, I didn't realize that PR was indeed alive and well. Not only have I bought a fairly impressive number of CD's, through the site's 'BUY' function, but I have discovered a host of new groups who now have an honored and permanent place on my iPod. And I will be seeing The Flower Kings live at the end of this week in NYC. I consider it a fortunate day when I discovered AM... (8^)>

spedblavio
06-24-2003, 09:44 AM
A couple more acquisitions resulting from stuff heard on AM:

Krakatoa's latest album "We Are the Rowboats"
and
their previous album "Togetherness" (which is not in the AM list, but I found a couple MP3's to listen to at www.etherdrag.com).

Both are available at ZNR, and "We Are the Rowboats" and shipping are cheaper there than Amazon.

ÄlveKatt
06-27-2003, 04:29 AM
I think i will buy Liquid Tension Experiment 2 this month because of AM. I probably will. Wich means i must borrow money from my parents and be on minus again.

Damn you AuralMoon! ;)

KeithieW
06-27-2003, 12:30 PM
Just taken delivery of the 25th album bought from listening to AM.

Not all have been CDs though. As a Vinyl Junkie I've tracked a few down in Record Fairs and second hand shops. For example I got hold of a couple of mint condition "Brand X" albums for the princely sum of £4.00 ($6.50).

Still on the look out for more..............

Rick and Roll
06-27-2003, 01:11 PM
Now that's some unorthodox behavior!

Keith - did you ever get that Frank Gambale? If so, what do you think?

KeithieW
06-27-2003, 01:29 PM
Hi Rick,

Yes I did and i've played it nearly every day since it arrived.......it's great and thank you for the recommendation.

Don't know if you're listening but Hawkwind are on at the moment and I'm here having a Brainstorm listening to it......yes it was me that requested it!!!! I've just ordered Space Ritual Part 2 from amazon because of this damned station. I went to see Space Ritual when they played it in 1973 (I think) and it was literraly a HUGE BUZZ!!!

KeithieW
06-27-2003, 02:49 PM
Just heard Transatlantic "SMPTe" track and ordered it. I've heard it before but it really hit home today so I decided I had to have it...........so I clicked and it's on it's way.

Damn, Damn, Damn.
:D :D :D

ÄlveKatt
07-10-2003, 05:57 AM
I ordered Liquid Tension Experiment. LTE2.

Now i have to wait. And mutter about the hole formed in my wallet. I ordered Flower Kings Rainmaker too. And Images and words by Dream Theater.

The two latter came today. :)

Rick and Roll
07-10-2003, 09:17 AM
Enjoy Images and Words, it's all downhill from there. They still are good, it's just that's they're most consistent effort.

There's a song on Rainmaker called "Serious Dreamers" that is the perfect union of Yes and Todd Rundgren. Great keyboard lines in the center of the song.

ÄlveKatt
07-11-2003, 05:48 AM
It's damn good. I have Awake and Six degress of inner turbulence too.

And i must say that i think Awake is at least equal to Images and words. (But that is my preference i gather.)

Rick and Roll
07-13-2003, 12:37 PM
I agree with that. Awake is very good.

I just got Focus 8, Snow, and A Night For Baku. Baku (Djam Karet) is incredible - another fine effort by these guys. The concept and execution are stellar.

Snow is basic Spock's Beard - good enough to own, but not outstanding. The Focus is very cool. Only Thijs left, but a nice, clean sound. Very tasteful.

KeithieW
08-16-2003, 05:03 AM
Now up to 35 albums via AM.

That rates at about 3 a month. Not that I'm complaining but my wife is!!!!:D

jsoques
08-22-2003, 01:12 PM
Canarios ----- Ciclos
Transatlantic ----- Live

PlayingTheFool
08-26-2003, 04:31 AM
Because of this great internet radio, it has made me purchase:

Gong-You

teermin8r
11-30-2003, 10:31 PM
I have purchased 3 Malibran Cds, 1 Niacin, 3 Mike Oldfield, and 3 Steve Howe solo albums so far. I have a growing list of albums to buy with 20+ albums.

KeithieW
12-01-2003, 02:28 AM
Watch it tee!!!!! Now your on the Forums as well as Shout and Chat you may find there's not enough hours in the day to do things like eat and sleep.

Oh, I forgot. I'm the only saddo who does that. The rest of you have real lives!!!!!!!

BTW: My purchasing has reached the 45 mark with another 3 bids in the eBay ether.

podakayne
12-28-2003, 01:01 AM
everytime i hear something i like...or must have..click the buy...find it...click the artist for other albums, circle the one that brought me and clip it up on my cubicle wall. the list is thick and i've only made a small dent with regards to purchases.

spock's beard, transatlantic, porcupine tree, kaipa, flower kings, King Crimson, tangent

gotta satisfy my roine needs. i've given up my lunch money for these things. the upshot of that is lost pounds but musically satiated. :p

artboy
12-28-2003, 09:38 AM
Hi Pod,
I have a pocket notebook which goes everywhere with me. It has probably over 300 CD's I "NEED".... if only I could figure out how to survive without food and gas for my jeep perhaps that list would be shorter!

podakayne
12-28-2003, 03:19 PM
OSI and that wonderful Xang cd? artboy, u turned me on to that one. it's gonna be about 2-3 weeks for me to get that one...it coming from germany!

lunches are no longer a priority.

Yesspaz
12-28-2003, 04:42 PM
Half.com people, Half.com

http://www.half.com

jnighting
12-29-2003, 05:12 PM
I have discovered many artists that I had heard of before but never got much of a chance to lsiten to. Due to the fact that Central NY stinks as far as Progressive Music goes, I have had to buy elsewhere and AM has helped in getting the resources to do so. Puchases so far, Lana Lane, Ayreon, Eric Norlander, OSI, Tangent, Iluvatar.....many more on the wish list that will have to wait until the wife cools down from the recent purchases.:p Long live the Moon.

MrMagoo
01-15-2004, 11:31 AM
I've been on AM full-time now for less than 2 months, and have already slaughtered the 10 purchases. We need a 20+ entry, and maybe logarithmic thereafter

KeithieW
01-15-2004, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by MrMagoo
I've been on AM full-time now for less than 2 months, and have already slaughtered the 10 purchases. We need a 20+ entry, and maybe logarithmic thereafter

Too right MrM.

I've just gone past the 60 mark in a bit over 12 months. Fantastic to find so much new music to enjoy.

teermin8r
02-13-2004, 04:02 PM
60 Cd's Keithie, awesome. I'm up to 35 plus 3 box sets. Where will it end?

A special note to my internet family. Thank you for your support.

Yesspaz
02-14-2004, 10:57 AM
I guess I'd better chime in at about 8 cds a month, but not all are from AM. I do a whole lot of bargain shopping - used cd stores, www.half.com, etc. But AM has definitely increased my collection.

silverliver
02-26-2004, 05:59 AM
Ayreon
SpocksBeard
Porcupine Tree
IQ
Arena
Liquid Tension Experiment

iq

Roger -Dot- Lee
03-16-2004, 12:18 AM
I'm not sure if I should be proud or not, but I just recently purchased albums #11, 12, and 13 as a result of AM. Mrs. Lee is seriously wondering about my sanity. I simply remind her that she did, in fact, marry me. That usually ends the discussion in a hurry.

Anyway, amongst the list:

2x King Crimson
2x Triumvirate
1x Dixie Dregs (guess why?)
1x Ars Nova
1x Par Lindh Project
2x Tangerine Dream
1x Ryo Okumoto

Ah well, I didn't need that money anyway. And half.com is your friend!

Roger

KeithieW
03-16-2004, 02:08 AM
Just passed the 75 mark.

The long suffering Pam is spitting feathers and is threatening to send me out to work.

Roger -Dot- Lee
03-19-2004, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Keith Waye
Just passed the 75 mark.

The long suffering Pam is spitting feathers and is threatening to send me out to work.

Poor Pam. Geez, KW, you have even worse impulse control than I do! :D

And I didn't think that was POSSIBLE!

zvinki
03-22-2004, 12:20 PM
I bought OSI and John Ringer's electric version of The Rite of Spring. Two more reasons for my wife to divorce me.

Rick and Roll
03-22-2004, 01:03 PM
in the U.S. there doesn't need to be reasons!:cool:

Roger -Dot- Lee
03-22-2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by zvinki
I bought OSI and John Ringer's electric version of The Rite of Spring. Two more reasons for my wife to divorce me.

So buy her something cool. Or take her out to dinner (I've found that a nice Fondue restaurant works WONDERS with Mrs. Lee when she's feeling grumpy with me).

YMMV, of course. :D

zvinki
03-22-2004, 02:40 PM
She has to live up to her commitment. Hell, I am regularly tortured with Blue Rodeo and the Grease soundtrack!!!

Rick and Roll
03-22-2004, 02:53 PM
[i]
YMMV, of course. :D [/B]

Please decipher!

moses
03-22-2004, 03:04 PM
YMMV=Your Mileage May Vary

YHABIYE

Moses

Rick and Roll
03-22-2004, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by moses

YHABIYE

Moses

oh no not again!!!

Roger -Dot- Lee
03-22-2004, 03:28 PM

oh no not again!!!

We do it just to torcher you.

BOHICA!

KeithieW
03-22-2004, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by zvinki
She has to live up to her commitment. Hell, I am regularly tortured with Blue Rodeo and the Grease soundtrack!!!

Sounds like sheer bliss!!!!!

I have to listen to "The greatest Chick Flick record in the world...ever" in order to get to play some of my more obscure AM finds.

Although Pam has said she likes Carptree!!!!!!!!! Incredible!!!!!

Roger -Dot- Lee
04-13-2004, 09:33 PM

Although Pam has said she likes Carptree!!!!!!!!! Incredible!!!!!

Whoa. Sounds like there might be hope for her afterall! Now get her hooked on Triumvirat. It worked for me.

And speaking of which: CAROL SIGNED OFF ON IT! WHEE! It's on order and should be here in no time a-tall.

Joyously,

Roger -dot- Lee

Eating Lemur
06-23-2004, 02:43 PM
As a result of listening to Aural Moon, I have purchased two King Crimson albums and one Bubblemath album. In addition, I've added countless albums to my wishlist, and have also downloaded some additional music off of the internet that was otherwise unreasonably difficult to get a hold of, such as Aardvark and some Kenso.

RogorMortis
09-03-2004, 10:46 AM
The problem now is I'm listening so much to AM I haven't any time to listen to CD's I have bought - I've 6 CD's waiting to be heard and 5 on order - all due to AM

Michael Rawdon
09-20-2004, 12:14 PM
Quite a few.

- Jadis, Understand (and then the rest of their stuff), after hearing "Is This Real"; this, combined with discovering Marillion's This Strange Engine, is what got me back into prog after a 10-year hiatus, so indirectly listening to this track on AM has caused me to buy dozens of prog CDs in the past few years.
- The Flower Kings, Space Revolver (and then the rest of their stuff), after hearing "I Am The Sun (Part One)" several times.
- Shadow Gallery, Legacy as a result of hearing "Colors" - turns out I didn't care for the rest of the album, which is more representative of their sound.
- Karnataka, Delicate Flame of Desire as a result of hearing "Heart of Stone". I now want to buy their first two albums, but they seem to only be available as imports (about US$50 from the band's Web site, somewhat more from Amazon).
- Ten Jinn, As On A Darkling Plain (I'm lukewarm towards this one)

I have several other artists on my "to check out" list as a result of AM, but haven't picked them up yet.

My other source of ideas is to just browse the recent arrivals at The Laser's Edge on-line store (http://www.lasercd.com/default.asp).

Rick and Roll
09-20-2004, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Michael Rawdon

- The Flower Kings, Space Revolver (and then the rest of their stuff), after hearing "I Am The Sun (Part One)" several times.
-

more like several hundred!;)

Michael Rawdon
10-06-2004, 12:59 PM
more like several hundred!;)
Nah, this was well over a year ago. :)

KeithieW
10-24-2004, 08:06 AM
With the Ghost, Captain Beyond and Cravinkel that I heard on recent Gnosis shows. The CD buying as a direct result of the Moon has just reached 114!

There has to be a good marriage guidance councilor among you who will take pity on a poor Music freak and his AM widow.

progdirjim
10-31-2004, 12:55 AM
With the Ghost, Captain Beyond and Cravinkel that I heard on recent Gnosis shows. The CD buying as a direct result of the Moon has just reached 114!

There has to be a good marriage guidance councilor among you who will take pity on a poor Music freak and his AM widow.

I still have you beat Keithie - as long as I consider ALL of 2004...
:D

Yesspaz
10-31-2004, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by progdirjim
I still have you beat Keithie - as long as I consider ALL of 2004...
:D Wait wait wait. Are we talking bought from hearing it on AuralMoon or for hearing it on AuralMoon. Because if it's the latter, I need to adjust some numbers :D

Rick and Roll
10-31-2004, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Yesspaz
Wait wait wait. Are we talking bought from hearing it on AuralMoon or for hearing it on AuralMoon. Because if it's the latter, I need to adjust some numbers :D

From

fremder99
11-24-2004, 03:35 PM
I've picked up several, but at my local indy CD store... (a rare beast I like to support!)

- Stolt - TFK
- TKFs - Adam and Eve
- Popul Vuh - Einsjäger & Siebenjäger
- Pallas - The Sentinel
- Happy the Man - Muse Awakens
- Spock's Beard - Beware of Darkness & V

VISA is in ashes.....

Yesspaz
11-24-2004, 05:15 PM
not because of AM, but just picked up U2's "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" and ordered the new ep from Stavesacre. Looking for live KX on the cheap.

cosmorock
01-02-2005, 08:58 PM
I've bought a few cd's after hearing them on Progressive shores,namely Pantheon,Group 1850,Wigwam,Burnin'Red Ivanhoe and many others...the thing is,Sean plays so many rare records,some of them not on cd yet.

cosmorock
01-02-2005, 08:58 PM
I've bought a few cd's after hearing them on Progressive shores,namely Pantheon,Group 1850,Wigwam,Burnin'Red Ivanhoe and many others...the thing is,Sean plays so many rare records,some of them not on cd yet.

Akunosh
02-14-2005, 04:01 PM
Answerd 10+ cause i gonna by so lots of prog cds in future because of AM but just bought:

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Ozric Tentacles - The Hidden Step
Godspeed You Black Emperor - Yanqui U.X.O.

They are all excellent albums

sharcnorris
04-03-2005, 06:34 PM
Lived the Prog. life in its first 20 years ( 1968-88), Then isolated, With my 1st puter 2002 I found the Moon and now I'm learning the Last 20 Years !! I must get 2 a month from "New" bands to me. Glass Hammer, Flower Kings ,Arena, P.TREE, Gerald, Tangent, WHEN will it End......Never, thank God, thank AM

Roger -Dot- Lee
04-03-2005, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by sharcnorris
Lived the Prog. life in its first 20 years ( 1968-88), Then isolated, With my 1st puter 2002 I found the Moon and now I'm learning the Last 20 Years !! I must get 2 a month from "New" bands to me. Glass Hammer, Flower Kings ,Arena, P.TREE, Gerald, Tangent, WHEN will it End......Never, thank God, thank AM

Oh, we're HOPING it'll never end.

Roger -Dot- Lee, Welcome to the fray!

KeithieW
04-04-2005, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by Roger Lee
Oh, we're HOPING it'll never end.

Roger -Dot- Lee, Welcome to the fray!
Trust me! With a bunch of people like we have in our Family it WILL never end.

sharcnorris
04-04-2005, 04:23 PM
Sorry about my unrelated tread in your CD poll, my mistake, 1st day here and I blew it. 30 Cd's a year, just fromAM listening

jnighting
04-08-2005, 07:26 PM
Latest additions for me have been about all of Iona's catalogue of music............E-bay, such a wonderful invention.:)

Yesspaz
04-11-2005, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by jnighting
E-bay, such a wonderful invention.:) jnighting, try eBay's sister, www.half.com. Instead of an auction, it's a flea market.

VAXman
04-11-2005, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Yesspaz
jnighting, try eBay's sister, www.half.com. Instead of an auction, it's a flea market.

That's great... but who wants fleas? :eek:

Rick and Roll
04-11-2005, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by VAXman
That's great... but who wants fleas? :eek:

The Red Hot Chili Peppers.

VAXman
04-11-2005, 05:35 PM
The Red Hot Chili Peppers.

They already have a flea... do you have some inside information? Are they setting up a circus?

Methem
05-06-2005, 05:40 PM
Hmm... can't remember or even check the exact amount at the moment, but I've bought over 10 albums/CDs more or less as a result of listening to this station.

The Hidden Step by Ozrics,
Moonmadness by Camel,
Oxygene 7-13 by Jarre,
Sands of Time by Deuter,
Tabula Rasa by Tabula Rasa

... just to name a few I obviously appreciate.

Perhaps I should also mention Oi Dai by the folk-group Värttinä. I haven't heard them here on the Moon, but the station, with some of this stuff that is played here, has definitely inspired my increasing interest in world and folk music.

-Methem

lotus
06-29-2005, 04:28 PM
Well, after the Moon brought me back to prog mote than a year ago, finding out, that prog still exists in the 21rst century with new, excellent bands, and, the most important, that gigs I attended are as excellent as they used to be 30 years ago, I invested a little money to buy some CD's (not as crazy as RogorMortis having to charge also to his wife paypal account.....:rolleyes: ).

Here the one I like most:

RPWL: all three CD's
The Tangent: Live in Aschaffenburg
Ray Wilson:Life
Little Atlas: Wanderlust
Lanvall: Auralmony
Peter Gabriel: Shaking The Tree
Ray Wilson: Live
Canarios: Ciclos (still not received, seems very rare)

yorksrvc
09-20-2005, 06:39 PM
This place will break me, ther goes the credit card .....again :(

dinosaur
09-20-2005, 08:56 PM
Recently bought Arena, IQ, Galleon, Clepsydra, Hidria Spacefolk...I've lost track of the total number, and I'm not sure I really want to know!
When I go to the poor house, I'm taking my CDs and headphones with me!

yorksrvc
09-30-2005, 11:44 AM
ok.......the first 2 are: Glass Hammer - Shadowlands and Porcupine Tree - Deadwing. I did get 2 more Threshold CD's, but that's because I've taken a big liking to them. I'm now listening to Glass Hammer and I'm taking a big kiking to them too. Love my music!!!:D

yorksrvc
10-23-2005, 11:18 AM
OK........I've now picked up the following: PT - In Absentia, Ayreon - Universal Migrator, PT - Signify, Voyage 24, Up the Down and Lightbulb Sun Glass Hammer - In Consolable. I have really got to stop being so impulsive.....wife hasn't caught up with me yet........:angel:

KeithieW
10-23-2005, 11:45 AM
I have really got to stop being so impulsive.....wife hasn't caught up with me yet........:angel:
Mine did ages ago.........I've had my allowance cut and am confined to the house. :)

Roger -Dot- Lee
10-23-2005, 02:24 PM
I'm surprised at you, Keithie! I'm surprised you haven't found the way to get just enough underfoot to get her to toss you out to the pub for the evening.

yorksrvc
10-23-2005, 03:58 PM
keithieW...........I can't imagine what more my could cut from me......music, an occaisional beer, work and cigarretes are all I've got left:(( Now......If she tries taking my granddaughter away...........we'll be havin' major problems:aua:

Yesspaz
10-23-2005, 09:34 PM
I wonder if it ain't time to delete this poll and repost it. A LONG time ago I voted I'd bought 5 cds. That's, shall we say, no longer accurate, and I can't revote. Whaddya think?

yorksrvc
10-31-2005, 06:43 AM
OK, quick base review of the purchases. PT: Voyage 34....too "Trippy" and a bit dated in a corny sense of the word. PT: Lightbulb Sun: EXCELLENT!! PT: Sky Moves Sideways and Signify: Very Good....Still absorbing......can see them growing on me. Glass Hammer:Liked it right off, but it needs to grow on me a bit more. Still VERY Hung Up on THRESHOLD.

mossy
12-15-2005, 04:09 PM
Yorks, I replied to your Pineapple Thief post on another thread. I don't check the threads, I just hit reply :notsure:

Since you like Porcupine Tree (Lightbulb Sun's my fave) and you like the Thief, have you tried Sigur Ros? Another band with similar threads.

http://www.sigur-ros.co.uk/band/disco/agaetis.php

Agaetis Byrjun is an excellent CD they issued earlier. You can listen on the Moon, or go to the website and download "Olsen Olsen" to start...see what you think.

And, just to clear up any confusion...it's a male vocalist and it's all sung in Icelandic.

m

Methem
12-15-2005, 07:04 PM
Agaetis Byrjun is an excellent CD they issued earlier. You can listen on the Moon, or go to the website and download "Olsen Olsen" to start...see what you think.

And, just to clear up any confusion...it's a male vocalist and it's all sung in Icelandic.

"Olsen olsen" is in sung in "Hopelandic", the artificial "language" the band invented for their music (interesting idea).

AB is a great. I found it through the Moon.

-Methem

mossy
12-15-2005, 07:53 PM
Didn't know that interesting bit of info, Methem.

m

Methem
12-15-2005, 08:11 PM
Didn't know that interesting bit of info, Methem.

There is some information about it in the FAQ on their website:

http://www.sigur-ros.co.uk/band/faq.php:
-> what language does jónsi sing in?

-Methem

Yesspaz
12-15-2005, 10:24 PM
For the record, it's not actually a language. Here's that FAQ copied/pasted:

what language does jónsi sing in?
on the first three albums (von, von brigði, ágætis byrjun), jónsi sang most songs in icelandic but two of them (von and olsen olsen) were sung in 'hopelandic'. all of the vocals ( ) are however in hopelandic. hopelandic (vonlenska in icelandic) is the 'invented language' in which jónsi sings before lyrics are written to the vocals. it's of course not an actual language by definition (no vocabulary, grammar, etc.), it's rather a form of gibberish vocals that fits to the music and acts as another instrument. jónsi likens it with what singers sometimes do when they've decided on the melody but haven't written the lyrics yet. many languages were considered to be used on ( ), including english, but they decided on hopelandic. hopelandic (vonlenska) got its name from first song which jónsi sang it on, hope (von).

RogorMortis
12-27-2005, 10:51 AM
I have really got to stop being so impulsive.....wife hasn't caught up with me yet.

Welll, It's just like drugs really, I can't stop. I heard Lizard from Poland for the first time and went mad and ordered on the spot all thier 4 cd's well knowing my wife will really do me as funds are rather low at the moment.

But hell it's only Christmas once a year(8-D

Rick and Roll
12-27-2005, 11:26 AM
my wife will really do me as funds are rather low at the moment.

So let me get this straight...if you're low on funds your wife will "do you"?

Is this some sort of reverse marital prostitution?

And can I use that for a band name?:haha:

Andyyyy
02-23-2006, 11:17 PM
What a great thread! Although I had to put myself in the 1-5 catagory, I'm sure this will grow. I had been away from AM since last summer, just a pain to have headphones on. But I am planning some monitors here shortly. Ironic that as I read this post, I was contemplating the 0 answer when they just played a cut off Quake by Den Fule. I IMMEDIATELY looked this up and will order ASAP! And wouldn't you know it, it's a Swedish band! For some reason, Sweden has been a great source of music!

Some recent purchases:

Forgas Band Phenomena -Soleil 12 (thanks to a sampler a friend sent me)
Miriodor- Parade + Live ( " )
Djam Karet ( " )
Permanent Vacation (found on CDBaby.com by search for "sounds like": Bruford)
Allan Holdsworth- Road games (cause it's got Jeff Berlin)
Allan Holdsworth- 16 Men of Tain (after seeing him live this month)
Lady Lake- Supercleananddreammachine (www.ladylake.nl)

And... because I was wondering about what ever happened to Eddie Jobson, I found this beauty: Voices of Life (http://www.globemusic.com/) Done by the Bulgarian Women's Choir. Want to hear something completely different? Here it is! These are mostly classical Bulgarian pieces, though there is a tune by Jobson and one by Tony Levin. THis has been one of my favorite new acquisitions...I love choral music, but I love Levin and Jobson, and with the Burgarian Womens' Choir, it's orgasmic to the ears! I wish they had more cuts like the two.

And how can I forget one of my most important discoveries, Bela Fleck! His Live at the Quick DVD is phenominal!

Rick and Roll
02-24-2006, 09:13 AM
1)Djam Karet

2)Permanent Vacation (found on CDBaby.com by search for "sounds like": Bruford)

3)Allan Holdsworth- Road games (cause it's got Jeff Berlin)

4)Bulgarian Women's Choir.

1)Which one? The Devouring is my fav, but almost all are great.

2) Aerosmith?:)

3) Do you have "Players"? A find for me in college, I've played it on the show and it should be on the Moon. Berlin, T Lavitz, Scott henderson, and Steve Smith..

4) There's some tease of that on Kate Bush's "Sensual World"..gotta check that out...

Andyyyy
02-24-2006, 03:02 PM
1) Ha! You got me on #1. I lent it to my friend, but I think the song I got it for was Indian Summer?

2) http://cdbaby.com/cd/permanent http://cdbaby.com/cd/permanent2

3) No, but after seeing him live I've decided I need to get anything with his fingerprints on it. I just ordered http://cdbaby.com/cd/riptyde

4) If you like choral music, you'll love it. But if you're looking for that Jobson sound, you will only get that on one track. I like them all. There's even about a minute of Brufford on the first track...just enough to say he was there too!

5) and of course, I need to recommend our collective work here as well (well, I DID buy a copy too ;-) ) http://cdbaby.com/cd/gianthour

Rick and Roll
02-24-2006, 05:05 PM
hey andy, I'll be afk for a day, but real quick...

The Devouring is in my top 10 records ever....i think Indian Summer is off the latest "recollection harvest"

The Players is straight fusion, just excellent.

I pasted your shortcut....

Andyyyy
02-24-2006, 09:46 PM
Rick, I will definately be getting more Djem Karet, so perhaps The Devouring should be next...thanks. Is The Players available on CD? If not, I have a used record shop where I can hunt...I love fusion!

Rick and Roll
02-25-2006, 09:30 AM
Rick, I will definately be getting more Djem Karet, so perhaps The Devouring should be next...thanks. Is The Players available on CD? If not, I have a used record shop where I can hunt...I love fusion!

for Djam Karet: Baku, Devouring, Firepool, Hard City, New Dark Age...all heavier.

ambient: Collaborator, another I can't remember now

half and half: Ritual, Descencion, SNCP, Harvest

Players should be available..

Andyyyy
03-13-2006, 07:06 PM
Well, I just had a couple more things I ordered show up.

Advent- Cantus Firmus (Great stuff with great vocals, Genesis, Gentle Giant influence)
Jens Johansson- Fission (Hot Swedish Fusion)
Riptyde- Sonic Undertow (with Allan Holdsworth) (Interesting combination of hip hop style w/prog, Holdsworth makes it work)

Yesspaz
03-14-2006, 02:47 PM
I wonder if it ain't time to delete this poll and repost it. A LONG time ago I voted I'd bought 5 cds. That's, shall we say, no longer accurate, and I can't revote. Whaddya think?
What he said.

KeithieW
03-31-2006, 08:20 AM
The two Riverside CDs and Chance's "Escape to Horizon" have just tipped me over the 200 Cds bought as a direct result of listening to Aural Moon.

Pam has now definitely taken away the Credit cards and locked them in a safe to which only she knows the combination. However before she took them away I managed to program the details into PayPal and Amazon...........:neener: ]) .

Roger -Dot- Lee
03-31-2006, 08:28 AM
The two Riverside CDs and Chance's "Escape to Horizon" have just tipped me over the 200 Cds bought as a direct result of listening to Aural Moon.

Pam has now definitely taken away the Credit cards and locked them in a safe to which only she knows the combination. However before she took them away I managed to program the details into PayPal and Amazon...........:neener: ]) .

And here I always called Pam 'Long Suffering' as a joke! I had no idea I was being PROPHETIC!

Oh, maybe I had a few clues. But still. :neener:

Lemur
07-29-2006, 02:57 AM
The majority of my CD purchases have been made because of Aural Moon. :)

Richard701
08-06-2006, 05:54 PM
I purchased Salem Hill Mimi's Magic Moments a few months ago as a result of last years top Albums but never got round to listening to it until a couple of weeks ago. Haven't listened to anything else since!!!

Rick and Roll
08-06-2006, 06:49 PM
Mimi is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GORT
08-07-2006, 09:44 AM
I too have bought at least 10 new CDs.
Some of IQ's stuff,Porcupine Tree,Marillion,Flower Kings,Colin Masson and others:vaxman:

KeithieW
10-31-2006, 09:37 AM
The number of CDs purchased as a result of listening to Aural Moon now tops 250. A few have been to replace worn out vinyl copies and a few to get Bonus tracks.

Now that I'm out of work again until March 2007 I may slow down. That and I don't want divorce lawyers to benefit from my love of Music. :) :knowing:

roger
10-31-2006, 03:52 PM
> divorce lawyers to benefit from my love of Music

thank goodness the ex doesn't like prog... ;)

jtmckinley
11-01-2006, 09:36 PM
well over 10+, as to what they were I doubt I could remember, but then I'm a music geek ;) It's a large number though, and it will grow...

RogorMortis
11-03-2006, 11:19 AM
I just did a count for albums released in 2006 - I've bought 67 so far and all are due to AM. So there'd be no divorce lawyer as the money has been spent......

pawpoet
03-12-2007, 06:02 PM
Thanks to recommendations from KW and RickandRoll, I just bought Pendagron's, Masquerade Overture and Salem Hill's, Mimi's Magic Moment. After sampling them I'm particularly interested in Salem Hill, which somehow reminds me of Gentle Giant, which is a rare quality. Thanks for the rcommendations. Paw

KeithieW
03-12-2007, 06:22 PM
Oh dear......the figure has just gone through the 320 mark. Hey ho!!!!

Terrific hobby this music lark.....:D

Rick and Roll
03-12-2007, 09:23 PM
Thanks to recommendations from KW and RickandRoll, I just bought Pendagron's, Masquerade Overture and Salem Hill's, Mimi's Magic Moment. After sampling them I'm particularly interested in Salem Hill, which somehow reminds me of Gentle Giant, which is a rare quality. Thanks for the rcommendations. Paw

I'm a bit mad at Salem Hill. Carl Groves, the driving force in the band, is having a couple over to visit in his Tennesee home the weekend I was going to visit the couple (I was to stop on the way back at their place in Virginia, as I was returning to Maryland, from Florida)...got all that!

Seriously, "Be" is even a better CD, and from a lyrical standpoint, you will like "Robbery of Murder".

pawpoet
04-02-2007, 07:20 PM
Just bought 2 more because of my renewed interest in prog. spurred on by the Aural Moon experience. Bought a Gentle Giant DVD called "Giant on the Box". It's old TV shows of concerts and interviews. German, American, and
Italian TV from the early 70's. I never saw them live so this is a real treat for me. Also Bought Starcastle's new one, "Song of Times". Had heard about them but owned no music. It's good. I thought it only a yes clone at first, but they sound pretty proficient and the lyrics with some depth. By the way this thread is a great way of proving Aural Moons worth to artists and record sellers. For what it's worth. And how many CD's do we own, tapes, and LP's too, that we were forced to replace because of new technology? Enjoying the moon -pawpoet

Rick and Roll
04-02-2007, 09:25 PM
Just bought 2 more because of my renewed interest in prog. spurred on by the Aural Moon experience. Bought a Gentle Giant DVD called "Giant on the Box". It's old TV shows of concerts and interviews. German, American, and
Italian TV from the early 70's. I never saw them live so this is a real treat for me. Also Bought Starcastle's new one, "Song of Times". Had heard about them but owned no music. It's good. I thought it only a yes clone at first, but they sound pretty proficient and the lyrics with some depth. By the way this thread is a great way of proving Aural Moons worth to artists and record sellers. For what it's worth. And how many CD's do we own, tapes, and LP's too, that we were forced to replace because of new technology? Enjoying the moon -pawpoet

the Giant is awesome:cool:

KeithieW
04-03-2007, 03:35 PM
350 purchases now....the latest arrival was Under the Sun's eponymous first album heard on AM the other night. I have another 10 in the post as I type so Pawpoet is right. That's 360 CDs that wouldn't have been purchased if it wasn't for Internet radio. Maybe the "powers that be" need to look at statistics like that before going off into one.

darksideof
06-21-2007, 12:44 PM
When I get some money I'll defently will buy at least 20 or even more. I love the site all ready! and I almost like all the bands that I have never heard of that I hear here. cool!!!!!

NorCalKurt
10-26-2007, 12:00 AM
Since I started listening to the Moon, I have purchased over 50 CDs. And.. booked trips to RosFest and NearFest 2008! Not to mention all the new shows I now look for in my area.

KeithieW
10-26-2007, 02:51 AM
Big Big Train's collection, TFK, Guy Manning and all the CDs purchased at SEfest etc. take me over the 400 mark now........authorities take note, Internet Radio helps artists not hinders them.

Moonoffruits96
10-26-2007, 03:09 AM
I have bought 16 new albums in 2 holidays

DamoXt7942
05-15-2008, 04:32 AM
Ooo, Moon made me buy lots of CD ('bout a hundred CDs)...
Of course, I enjoy them.
:neener:

KingRat
05-15-2008, 06:38 AM
I've bought 12 as a result of Aural Moon but my wish list far exeeds my available funds. A lot of the material is not available localy in South Africa.

DamoXt7942
05-15-2008, 09:21 AM
I've not counted my CDs on Moon seriously, but almost everyday some of CDs arrives to me.

TheFish
05-15-2008, 10:51 AM
10+??? Are you kidding? I'd say I've bought upwards of 100 albums since tunning into the moon. I owe alot of listening enjoyment to listening to RQ's of fellow moonies (Bmitra is on my wavelength) not to mention The automation system. Too many great bands and too little cash!
Amazon.com loves me. The Moon even turned me onto the festival thing. NEARfest next month!:thumbsup:

The Moon gives, The Moon is great indeed.:notworthy :angel:

OverHillandDale
05-15-2008, 11:50 AM
With my habit, I'm getting anywhere from 3-10 per week. Who needs to eat. It's overrated. :hrm:

KeithieW
05-15-2008, 01:11 PM
Just gone through the 500 mark for CDs purchased as a result of listening to Aural Moon.

Among the latest was Baby Grandmothers (a great jam type band from Sweden), Sunchild, Blind Ego, Arena and Crack the Sky.

DamoXt7942
05-16-2008, 05:11 AM
I suggest everybody here should be happy to be MOONAHOLIC.

...Me, too. :neener:

DamoXt7942
06-20-2008, 06:18 AM
Actually I'm buying many, many CDs over the world...with listening to the Moon...:winkies:

gambale
08-21-2008, 03:52 PM
Hi. Actually, many. This is a great inspiration source. I prefer vinyl but also buy CD`s. How can I listen to AuralMoon @ 128 kbit, how do one get to be a patron? :) Gambale Stockholm, Sweden

Rick and Roll
08-21-2008, 03:56 PM
Gambale,

I thought you were the Thunder from Down under himself :rockband:

progzealot
08-21-2008, 08:37 PM
Not enough; that's unless you as the wifey. :boxing:

museman
08-22-2008, 07:18 AM
Not only have I bought music from hearing it on the moon over 10,I have purchased items from links provided by the moon

schupdoggy
08-22-2008, 10:39 AM
Echosilence
My next purchase due to the moon. Does anyone know where I can get the cd "Distorted Horizon" here in the United States? I can only locate it overseas.

Toccata
08-24-2008, 10:42 AM
Plus than 10, I don't know to say how many! Always listening "The Moon", easier to find some!:rawk:
Toc.

angryfornoreason
06-02-2011, 04:43 PM
Since I started listening or just this year - either is far too many to count and both are killing my finances. Thinking of never listening to AM again as a means to a balanced budget.

A few favorites: Retroheads, Black Bonzo, Diablo Swing Orchestra

Yesspaz
06-02-2011, 11:54 PM
Since I started listening or just this year - either is far too many to count and both are killing my finances. Thinking of never listening to AM again as a means to a balanced budget.Okay, that's freaking funny.

Mike413
11-05-2015, 07:57 PM
I keep track of stuff I like then research it later. I typically don't judge an artist based on one song I hear on here that I like. If I like their sound or hear more than one track by them and then decide it floats my boat that's when I'll give them consideration. Otherwise there's just too much out there to chose from and I already have a million lists from many years of researching prog.