PDA

View Full Version : COTM - Feature #51 - KLAATU, The Canadian Beatles

OverHillandDale
03-30-2012, 07:10 PM
This week's feature group is Klaatu. They were once touted as the next incarnation of The Beatles (we've heard this a few times about several groups). But their 1st album puts up a very strong argument.

I, unfortunately, am Temporarily without Internet service and was unable to upload any commentary for the show (please hold your applause). But I know you'll miss me while you enjoy their 1st 3 albums.

Klaatu Barada nikto
(I am sure you will appropriately amend my spelling) ;)

Yesspaz
03-30-2012, 10:02 PM
Barada!

OverHillandDale
03-31-2012, 11:10 PM
Barada!

Thank you. Thought I had it wrong.

VAXman
04-01-2012, 12:08 PM

OverHillandDale
04-02-2012, 09:31 AM
Klaatu barada nikto. To many, that phrase stirs memories of a classic B movie. To others of a more proggish nature, especially if of Canadian blood, it stirs the memories of a group from the mid seventies that was touted as the next version of The Beatles. That's actually quite a complement as the compositions were more layered and complex than most groups vying for any pop recognition.

Klaatu released their first album in 1976 and, as you will hear, "3:47 E.S.T." delivers a more pop oriented sound that is reminiscent of The Beatles Sgt. Pepper and Yellow Submarine style. But it is what came next from them that earns the group a place in Progressive Rock lore.

Klaatu's 2nd album was titled "Hope," and quite aptly too. It was released in 1977. It showed their move away from the mainstream and toward a more progressive sound. But their cleverness remains. I'm reminded of some of similar results from 10CC and ELO.

The third album in the line-up is "Sir Army Suit" that Klaatu release in 1978. It was the last of the more popular albums (Hope being the most popular). They did release a few more albums, but the album that followed this one was a flop. Titled "Endangered Species" it also was a very aptly named album. They did manage to save some face (and ears) in 1981 with Magentalane.

I, unfortunately, am temporarily without consistent Internet service and was unable to upload any commentary for the show (please hold your applause). But I know you'll miss me while you enjoy their 1st 3 albums - 3:47 E.S.T., Hope, and Sir Army Suit for you for this Episode#51 of Corner of the Mooniverse. I hope you can listen in.