PDA

View Full Version : COTM - Feature #58 - Gentle Giant

OverHillandDale
05-18-2012, 12:10 PM
Greetings Mooniverse!

A special treat this week. When one thinks of the big names and earliest pioneers of Progressive Rock the names that first come up are the big three: King Crimson, Yes, and Genesis. A name that is often left out is our featured artists for this program, Gentle Giant.

Releasing their eponymous debut album in 1970, they kept producing albums until Citizen in 1980. Their popularity is best described as Cult-ish. I think this can be directly correlated by the complexity of their composition and incredible multi-instrumental musicianship. Just the kind of stuff that prog-nerds such as ourselves love.

Today's program will feature their first two efforts, 1970's Gentle Giant, and Acquiring The Taste from 1971. I am going to fill in the remainder with a little live material from 1975 and a special surprise. :knowing: :smirk:

I hope to see you on the radio.

Dale

Laudio9
05-21-2012, 07:11 AM
they kept producing albums until Citizen in 1980.

Actually it was called "Civilian" and IMO a really good album...
anyway......
As always...great show Dale, thanks.

Diff_Drummer
05-21-2012, 09:43 AM
"the names that first come up are the big three: King Crimson, Yes, and Genesis."

C'mon Dale, you can't talk about early prog pioneers and leave out ELP.

LeKanaw
05-21-2012, 12:27 PM
Hello Dale,I now have listened to half the program and trying to guess the surprise. Could it be about the fact that the band "Three friends" are now composing new "Gentle giant-ish" material and will be touring this automn.
(Many dates in my "province of Quebec").

OverHillandDale
05-21-2012, 10:29 PM
Hello Dale,I now have listened to half the program and trying to guess the surprise. Could it be about the fact that the band "Three friends" are now composing new "Gentle giant-ish" material and will be touring this automn.
(Many dates in my "province of Quebec").

I sure hope so. :winkies:
But alas, my surprise was not so current. I've never took an opportunity to see them so Three Friends would be a welcome event.

d