PDA

View Full Version : COTM #69 - Pride of Poland - SBB

OverHillandDale
08-03-2012, 03:17 PM
Hello my friends.

This week on Corner of the Mooniverse I am going to feature a group with roots back to 1971. Their first name was SILESIAN BLUES BAND. In 1972 they teamed up with a very talented singer and keyboard player, Czeslaw Niemen. They toured extensively and produced 3 albums as NIEMEN with relative success.

In 1974 they left Czeslaw and reformed their earlier trio. This time they named themselves SZUKAJ - BURZ - BUDUJ (which translate to Search - Break - Build up). They would, however, become more widely known as SBB.

This episode of COTM will feature their 2nd and third album Nowy Horyzont and Pamiec, both released in 1975. Their 1st album was eponymous and was a recording of live performances. An early problem for them was finding decent recording equipment. Both SBB and Nowy Horyzont do not receive many accolades for sound quality (which is no reflection on the exceptional quality of their musicianship). It wasn't until Pamiec that they found that in the form of a radio station's studio. You'll notice a recognizable jump in the quality.

I hope you'll join me for reintroduction to SBB, which is:
- Jozef Skrzek / bass, piano, moog, vocals
- Antymos Apostolis / guitar
- Jerzy Piotrowski / percussion

See you on the Moon.

dale

Magic Mountain
08-03-2012, 07:57 PM
My copies of SBB and Nowy Horyzont sound great, but they are the remastered versions with plenty of great bonus tracks.

OverHillandDale
08-06-2012, 10:07 AM
I do hope you all can stop in for a listen today (Monday @ noon e.s.t). This is a great group that folks favoring all sorts of styles of prog will enjoy.

See you on the radio.

Dale

artw
08-06-2012, 10:32 AM
I can confirm that this is a great episode of COTM ! (not that they all aren't, just this one is extra great :-) ) Thanks again for suggesting them MM!

Cheers,
Art