PDA

View Full Version : COTM #74 - ELP & PFM Live

OverHillandDale
09-14-2012, 12:08 AM
Hello Moon gang!

As promised last week, here is the line-up for today. Emerson, Lake and Palmer will open the show with Pictures At an Exhibition. Now, I bet you thought I'd just play the usual album released under that name. Silly you! :knowing:
I have, for your pleasure, the Pictures At An Exhibition track from the Live at the Isle of Wight Festival 1970. This track was the centerpiece of what was only their 3rd public performance. They were even still in rehearsal for the upcoming studio release of their premier album. Sounds like fun, huh. :rawk:

Up next we have Premiata Forneria Marconi, better known as PFM. Their big early live album was Live in the USA, no wait.... it was Cook.... no, um, no it was Live in the USA. (What? - They were the same album but just renamed for two different market releases. Ah, thanks). Well, there you have it. BUT WAIT - I'm not playing that one either. :flutter:

Instead I'm pulling tracks from the compilation Live album released in 1981 that encompasses the tours from 1971 - 1981. We'll start off with some cover songs PFM did of King Crimson, Jethro Tull and Mendelssohn. That will be followed by the "World Becomes One" tour of 1972. Some of their classic stuff.

So, how can you resist. ELP and PFM Live on the same stage as never before.

I'll see you on the Moon.

dale

Ted
09-14-2012, 05:50 AM
Dale,

WOW!!! Thanks... looking forward to the replays next week! Have a GREAT weekend!

Regards from Texas,
Ted

Diff_Drummer
09-14-2012, 10:51 AM
Sounds like a great show Dale. For those of you who haven't heard it, listen for Greg Lakes mistake on a vocal entrance near the end of "Pictures". Maybe he needed one more rehearsal. Still a historic show.

gr8sho92
09-14-2012, 03:55 PM
Neat. Looking forward to this one.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Cook was the actual proper album in hindsight since in that timeframe PFM was basically a Manticore artist. I believe the first or one of the first signed to that then new label.

A minor correction on The World Became The World tour being that it was actually in 1974.

A Manticore based anthology remaster of PFM's early English work was released last year and is not yet in the AM library. There a few live tracks on that one that are pretty good too.

In conclusion, I appreciate the treatment you're giving here of these two fine artists and going a bit rogue in the choices being offered is a good thing.

Thanks!

mailotron
09-15-2012, 01:04 PM
Dale the prog Allmighty :-)

gr8sho92
09-16-2012, 09:17 PM
Hope you get a chance to hear the replay. It was a fun show for me as both of these bands are favorites of mine.

OverHillandDale
09-17-2012, 05:17 AM
Dale the prog Allmighty :-)

If I wasn't so humble (snicker) I'd like that.:flutter:

:yougo