PDA

View Full Version : Eric Johnson

progdirjim
08-07-2003, 02:16 PM
What do you guys think? Interesting enough to include on AM?

I have all of his albums, and I've been toying with putting up some or most of his material; at least the instrumental stuff.

I'm not asking if you think he's a good guitarist (if you don't, "lemme 'splain sumthin' to ya"). I'm not asking if you like him (if you don't, I would be curious why). I'm asking if you want to hear him on AM. Any further comments as to which albums or songs do or don't belong are welcome...

KeithieW
08-07-2003, 03:24 PM
I tune in to hear new music.

I'm not familiar with Eric Johnson so I say Go for it............

We all know Jim's a man of impeccable taste so I know i'm not likely to be disappointed, unlike my bank balance if I like it a lot.

Rick and Roll
08-08-2003, 11:34 PM
Oh that's Python. Seriously.......

Eric Johnson must not get over to Europe - I'm surprised you haven't heard him. He is technicially a wizard, but I find his music lacking in emotion and not to the standard I need to burn a hole in my wallet. Vai, Gambale, Satriani, Dimeola, Eric Gales, I really like. Johnson, McAlpine (solo), some of these other guys - let's put together some solid tunes and I'm there - not just technical wizardry.

All of that said (I hope that sheds some light on why I'm not crazy about him, Jim) - he is definitely worthy of inclusion into the AM catalog(ue). It fits, regardless of my personal preference.

Extended Play
08-12-2003, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Rick and Roll
All of that said (I hope that sheds some light on why I'm not crazy about him, Jim) - he is definitely worthy of inclusion into the AM catalog(ue). It fits, regardless of my personal preference.

I've questioned before whether or not to include him in the show. He's always seemed more pop than prog to me, but who am I to guess? Venus Isle probably comes closest, of course, that is until the next album comes out (waiting for years now, as usual).

Tommy

progdirjim
08-12-2003, 11:40 AM
I think I'm going to throw some selections on the playlist and see what people think. He's just so damn talented that it seems wrong not to have SOMETHING from him here. I will leave out most of the songs he sings on, as those do tend more to the pop side - still good, just not nearly as "proggish"

RnR, you and I can't seem to agree on much! I usually feel the same way about Gambale that you seem to about Johnson - technically excellent, but not enough emotion. What I like most about Johnson is the way he arranges his guitar parts between rhythm, lead, and "tricks" - I saw him live in a small club back in '86 or '87, and was about 3 feet from the stage - I'd watch what he was doing and then think "that's impossible"

Rick and Roll
08-12-2003, 12:14 PM
We agree on more than we don't - I just usually operate on the "management by exception" process.

Toss his stuff on, let's see what some others think!

Seeing someone live, if they're good, is always a sure-fire way to increase the likelihood of liking the artist. I saw Richard Barone open up for the Smithereens a while ago, and he impressed me in a way his studio output would never do. (When I saw Marillion perform "The Univited Guest", I thought it would be a powerhouse sone on vinyl. Boy was I wrong!). Maybe if I had the Eric Johnson live experience, I would feel differently.

Another factor is that I would rather not initially be told how great someone is technically before I hear it. That happened to me with Mr. Johnson when he first started.

Any guitarist who starts his career not singing, and then does, should be whacked over the head with their guitar. Joe Satriani really confirmed my theory.