PDA

View Full Version : Blender ranks ELP 2nd worst band ever

progskunk
08-14-2003, 02:13 PM
In looking at some news articles today I saw one listing Blender magazines worst 50 bands. They had ELP listed as number 2 behind 'Insane Clown Posse'. In looking at the Blender web site they only listed 40-50 (in which Mike and the Mechanics was 43).

Does anyone read this mag? I would be curious to see if there are any other prog groups on it (they may have Yes as #10 or something). I would be curious to know.

Does anyone place any value on this publication, or is it just a rag? It seems like they are using some of these listings for shock value rather than a real objective evaluation of the bands true musical value and contribution.

Avian
08-14-2003, 02:39 PM
That's amazing only because it's hard to find a higher profile band that has been hated by the critics more than Yes!

Avian

byzantium
08-14-2003, 03:34 PM
Has there been a "Why Do People Hate Prog" thread here on Aural Moon Forum yet?

zvinki
08-14-2003, 04:15 PM
It could get ugly. I guess a related thread could be "Why is Justin Timberlake (and others like him) so popular". My favourite response is "because I like the beat". "Then listen to a mentronome" is usually my response. But I seem to be talking to myself here. Must be the heat.

I will start that thread as you suggested. It will give us a chance to unload our frustration.

Extended Play
08-14-2003, 06:57 PM
Wow, so ELP is almost as bad as Insane Clown Posse? What a joke! Of course, The Doors got in the top 50, so I can't be too happy with it anyway. To hell with them!

PlayingTheFool
08-14-2003, 07:34 PM
I was mad & surprised as well. Blender are full of idiots!!!!

ivan_2068
08-14-2003, 09:53 PM
Yes, this is what they say about the best fu**ing keyboardist of history:

42 RICK WAKEMAN
Can play two synthesizers at once — but nothing that people want to hear
Keyboard “wizard” and professional cape wearer Wakeman’s diabolical taste revealed itself early, when he elected to join prog-rockers Yes instead of David Bowie’s backing band, the Spiders From Mars. Not content with contributing to Yes’s inexcusably pompous albums, he also spent the mid-’70s releasing a series of baroquely awful solo theme records, including The Myths and Legends of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table. For reasons that are still unclear, he opted to perform that one on ice.
Appalling fact While playing Yes songs live, Wakeman would wolf down curry during sections in which he had little to do.
Worst CD Lisztomania (A&M, 1975)

What a loosers!!!!!

Iván

KeithieW
08-15-2003, 02:06 AM
I mean take a copy of the mag and shove it in it's namesake and make papier mache out of it.

I've never heard of or seen the mag. Is it a stateside thing or can I buy it over here in the UK. I need something to light my BBQ.

Powerslave
08-15-2003, 09:05 AM
But I for one was pleased to see The Doors made the list. I've always found the doors rather one-dimensional and overrated. I've always said that I can listen to a Doors song, but I cannot stand listening to 2 or more songs in a row. Maybe it was my college years (1995-2000), when just about every chick in the dorms had giant Morrison poster in their rooms and would constantly spout nonsense about how "Jim was a genius." Geniuses don't drink themselves to death (they OD like a good little rock star :D).

Since I've given away my age in this post, let me say that if I had actually grown up listening to The Doors I might feel differently, but the continued popularity astounds me. Also--for the record--I do not think Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, Eddie Vetter, or any other musical figure to emerge in the last 15 years or so qualifies as a genius or poet. That also goes for Thom Yorke of Radiohead, contrary to Blender Magazine's opinion (see their website).

One more thing: Insane Clown Posse is the worst band ever, hands down. They're Kiss wannabees! KISS!? Who the hell would want to emulate Kiss, and put rap into the mix, to boot? I used to have a roommate who listened to these guys and while I could comprehend his affinity for Limp Bizkit (who I'm hoping made the list as well), I just couldn't fathom why anyone would listen to ICP. Anyways, if anyone is going to, or already has, fork money over for a copy of the mag, I would like to see the rest of the list.

Starting an argument,

Extended Play
08-16-2003, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by progskunk
Does anyone read this mag? I would be curious to see if there are any other prog groups on it (they may have Yes as #10 or something). I would be curious to know.

Here's both the good and the bad. Personally, I see no problem with Asia being on the list . . .

Blender's 50 Worst Bands (http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/08/13/1060588441379.html)

Avian
08-16-2003, 10:56 AM
Wow - it's really obvious that even from a hip, now mainstream point of view, this writer has absolutley no idea about music at all.

I would definately put this article in the category of nothing more than a publicity stunt to draw attraction to the magazine. They are a new magazine - what better way to get the wire services to pick up the story and draw thousands of people to your rag? It apparantly worked!

(I mean come on... no real music critic would rate Colour Me Bad a better band than ELP)

Don't worry folks, no real criticism here at all...

Avian

KeithieW
08-16-2003, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the list Tommy.

Observations:

1) The Doors - criminal to include them!!!!
2) ELP - no way!!!
3) Iron Butterfly - Hell! We should have them on AM.

Jeeze, I hope this article is a stunt as Avian suggests cos if it's meant to be a serious bit of journalism and I was the editor I'd have the guy hanging out of a 30 floor window by his balls!!!

ivan_2068
08-16-2003, 08:52 PM
You can find the whole list in: http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/08/13/1060588441379.html
I took this names from it:

2. Emerson, Lake and Palmer
6. Kansas
14. Yngwie Malmsteen
21. The Alan Parsons Project
37. The Doors
39. Bob Geldof
40. Blind Melon
41. Whitesnake
42. Rick Wakeman
50. Iron Butterfly

There are almost no Rap, Hip Hop, Girls and Boys bands, do you believe Britney, N'Sync, Backstreet Boys, etc are better than The Doors or Kansas? Maybe this loosers can find thousands of better keyboardists than Rick Wakeman, because if he is one of the 42 worst there must be millions better than him, and of course Keith Emerson must be the worst keyboard player in the world, being that Insane Clown Posse have no keys.

I don't like Mike and the Mechanics (43) at all, but I believe they don't deserve being in this list, there are millions of rappers, hip hop players, boys and girls band worst than any band or artist mentioned in the list (Except for Latoya Jackson, she probably deserves it).

But it's worst to read what the Blender's Editor says:

"If I were any of these groups, I would be angry about making the list - but they should be better. It's their fault they're on it."
It's their fault ??? Who is this as**ole? The owner of the ultimate musical taste? Who is he to affirm without any doubt who is good and who is bad? I would love to see his 50 best list, probably will have Britney, Eminem and Backstreet Boys in the top ten.

Most magazines when release this kind of lists they do a previous poll (don't believe in polls either), or say it's only their opinion, but this so called critic doesn't express an opinion, he affirms they are bad just because that's what he says, and we must believe him because he works in a third class magazine. What a pretentious idiot!!!

Iván

zvinki
08-17-2003, 12:31 PM
Primus also made the list. Obviously this guy doesn't like innovation. But we've given this magazine too much of our time time already. Such junk should be ignored.

Rick and Roll
08-18-2003, 12:03 PM
For a present years ago, someone gave a me a "complete history of rock" book by Rolling Stone. It's rubbish. While there is value in the discography, you should see the vile commentary on bands like Gentle Giant, Yes, Rush. "Pretentous, arty", etc.

These mainstream publications scare me more than the fly-by-night rags.

It's not that they hate us so - what gets me is that they glorify such crap like Springsteen and Bob Dylan. I listen to music first - put R.L. Stevenson on a Bon Jovi song, and it still sucks. I couldn't care less what Bob Dylan has to say - his songs have little musical value.

And if someone mentions the word "Important" in describing a musician, I shall treat them like the person on the Pantera album cover.

Yesspaz
08-22-2003, 11:29 AM
I guess by now that some of you have figured out that Blender is the music magazine put out by Maxim. Go figure. It's not a rag, but it is a magazine focusing on a scene - the modern rock scene. They recently put White Stripes on the cover. White Stripes are very good. But they're just a modern rock band. Of course they're gonna crap on prog bands. If a prog magazine did the 50-worst, then there would be all kinds of arguments from the Blender side of things. This is not something I'd get my panties in a wad over. As they say, there's no accounting for taste.

PS. Wonder what those Blender folks think about ELP being one of Hendrix's favorite bands and his wanting to join and make it HELP?

Rick and Roll
08-22-2003, 12:41 PM
from the late Jimi Hendrix stating what you said in the P.S. - or sign it "Jimmy Hendricks" or something like that.

Makes sense now - Maxim is just another example of someone with an inferiority complex starting a macho-BS publication. Just like our male-chauvinist attitudes towards "male enhancement pills" or surgery to remove fat. I shake my head in disappointment.

Agree 100% with your point about not getting excited about what they write. But, is it really a "scene" that they cover, or just what would be the best thing to sell a magazine? I think they would cover Chinese Whale Fornication, if that was the "trend".

Put them on a double bill with "Stigma"!