PDA

View Full Version : Chris Squire of YES has passed away.

OverHillandDale
06-28-2015, 02:02 PM
This is the report from Rolling Stone Magazine (6-28-15):

Chris Squire, the co-founder and longtime bassist of prog rock icons Yes (http://www.rollingstone.com/music/artists/yes) and the only member of the group to feature on every studio album, has passed away just over a month after revealing that he was suffering from a rare form of leukemia. Squire was 67. Current Yes keyboardist Geoff Downes first tweeted (https://twitter.com/asiageoff/status/615159221387182080) the news, "Utterly devastated beyond words to have to report the sad news of the passing of my dear friend, bandmate and inspiration Chris Squire."

Yes confirmed Squire's death on their official Facebook page. "It's with the heaviest of hearts and unbearable sadness that we must inform you of the passing of our dear friend and Yes co-founder, Chris Squire. Chris peacefully passed away last night in Phoenix Arizona, in the arms of his loving wife Scotty," the band wrote in a statement (https://www.facebook.com/yestheband/posts/1050133808331940).

Avian
06-28-2015, 02:56 PM
I'll be doing an Aural Moon tribute to Chris Squire at 7pm EDT tonight. If you have some recorded message you'd like to put together before then in tribute to Chris, please email the link where I can download it to dflateau@gmail.com.

VAXman
06-28-2015, 04:50 PM
Another Progressive Rock icon has left us. As a long time YES far, I will cherish the memories of seeing Chris live as wellas every note he's recorded.

RIP! YES is dead; long live YES!

KeithieW
06-28-2015, 06:36 PM
Words can't really express how upset this has made Pam and I. We have grown up together with a love of Yes and the music they have played.

RIP Mr Squire.

julieval
06-28-2015, 06:47 PM
Like KeithieW said, there are no words. Feeling an emptiness. Glad for all the music Chris made and all the shows I got to see. RIP.

mariocc
06-28-2015, 06:57 PM
So sad news DALE..so iconic musician. It takes me by a surprise,,,I knew about his illness but I never thought it was so serious.
Real surprise today,,just impressive. No words, and just to say thanks to him and these timeless souls that have given us a priceless gift in my ..our..lives.

Great bass player and composer,,very distinctive sound,
really sad loss.

podakayne
06-28-2015, 07:49 PM
My all time favorite Yes man and the first bassman i really took note of. May your new life force be strong and clear. i've loved you. thank you for your gifts.

spewie
06-28-2015, 09:40 PM
Blessed Be Chris (Fish) Squire, thank you for the music

Thor
06-29-2015, 07:39 AM
Going off in a corner to cry for a while. I am very sad in hearing the news of Chris's passing... he had so much more music in him to make, but time was not kind. I will always be able to remember him and the band as being the reason why I began listening to progressive rock music, and why I have so many great bonds with friends today that I never would have without YES. R.I.P. Fish.

emperorken
06-29-2015, 12:17 PM
What a shock. I knew he was sick but did not expect this so quickly. I grew up with Yes in the early 70's and they played a large part in me becoming a prog fan. Sweet Dreams, Chris

Yesspaz
06-29-2015, 03:59 PM
Damn. I was off the grid, so to speak, for the last three days, and just got this news. Man, I'm quite bummed now. I'm going to put all Yes on my iPod for a month.

I hope Yes does this tour as a tribute, then hangs it up. It's the respectful thing to do.

Mike413
06-30-2015, 11:30 PM
A real bummer for me as well. If I were to single out one band as being the most responsible for getting me into prog I would have to say it is YES. I'm still trying to get over this but it is tough. I've been a big fan of his and YES for about thirty years. I still have Fish Out of Water on vinyl somewhere in my mother's attic. RIP Chris. You were an awesome bass player(one of the best)and will be missed.

As for YES hanging it up after this tour I wouldn't count on it. Apparently Chris would be ok with the band continuing and gave Billy Sherwood his blessing to fill the role of YES bassist.