PDA

View Full Version : Marillion, Genesis, what's next ???

dagallardo75
09-04-2003, 03:24 PM
I need your advice for what another progressive rock band to hear, for orientation my favorites are marillion and genesis (all stages), is there another music group like those

Please giveme yours recomendations !!!!

(sorry for the english but I am just learning)

KeithieW
09-04-2003, 06:58 PM
Try some early IQ.

Especially "The Wake"!!!!!

Rick and Roll
09-04-2003, 09:05 PM
Discipline
Flower Kings

how many others do you know?

ivan_2068
09-04-2003, 11:58 PM
If you want something in the same line, the natural step would be Pendragon , Neo Prog as Marillion with a good keyboardist (Clive Nolan) who plays very much like Tony Banks in Genesis 4 men era.

From all their albums I would try Masquerade Overture , probably their best, if I'm not wrong (probably I am :D ) Pendragon is one of the last bands to use good old Mellotron.

If you want something more complex than Neo Prog' you could try Magenta , their only album "Revolutions" is really good, like a mixture of Yes and Genesis with a female vocalist that sounds almost like Stevie Nicks (Christina Murphy).

Iván

KeithieW
09-05-2003, 12:43 PM
Pendragon are an Ace band.

Good songs great musicians and nice guys too.

"Illuvator" are worth a listen too dagallardo75. They have a very good Hammond keyboard sound and a vocalist who could be Fish or Gabriel on another day. Check them out on the AM playlist.

Rick and Roll
09-05-2003, 01:02 PM
These guys all live within a 10-mile radius of me, and I've seen them about 20-30 times, almost exclusively in ultra-small venues (except for the one Nearfest). Echolyn and Iluvatar are two bands that I've had the priviledge (sp?) of seeing when they were just starting out.

A good choice, Keith, although I haven't lived that "day" you are referencing. That's pretty rarefied air.

I've seen them do most of "Misplaced Childhood", Unquiet/Afterglow, Ripples, Comfortably Numb, and even "Man In The Wilderness". Good stuff.

Yesspaz
09-05-2003, 01:04 PM
Of course, listening to AM would be a good place to find new (to you) stuff you like. Just an idea....:)

brunomoises
09-05-2003, 09:13 PM
Hola, que tal?

Yo soy peruano, como estás? Mira, yo empecé con Genesis, pero ahora mis grupos favoritos, de los clásicos, son Pink Floyd (Meddle, Atom Heart Mother), King Crimson (Court, Starless, Larks y sobre todo el RED), Camel (Snow Goose, Mirage) y Gentle Giant (Octopus).

Hay otros, claro, que ahora están ganando mi simpatía. Anglagard es uno de mis favoritos, pero primero mejor escucha King Crimson. El RED es uno de los más accesibles y mejores. Otro favorito actual es After Crying, aunque también me gustan otros que recién he descubierto como Sigur Ros y Birdsongs of the Mesozoic.

Deberías empezar por Red y quizá alguno de Pink Floyd como el Wish You Were Here (que diablos, empieza por el Meddle nomás).

Bruno.

brunomoises
09-05-2003, 09:25 PM
Me olvidaba: YES. Anda de frente al Fragile y al Close to the Edge. Si te gustan las canciones largas de estos discos, prueba el Tales of Topographic Oceans.

ivan_2068
09-05-2003, 10:11 PM
Hey Bruno, I'm peruvian also and eventhough I would love to write in Spanish, let's keep the posts in English for the other members to understand. We have members from all around the world, and everybody understands English, wouldn't like to open the page one day and find Thai chatacters :D

Iván

P.S. I believe there's a way to send private messages, and would be glad to talk in Spanish.

dagallardo75
09-05-2003, 10:19 PM
Sorry for the spanish, but it so much simply, well bruno just answer a questiuon in spanish that i made in the main page.
Well, in any case, did you read my question ?, please giveme your suggestions for what to hear after marillion and genesis gems

ChAo !!!! (SOY CHILENO,give your support for tomorrow, the argentinian's soccer tema is gonna kill us !!!!!!)

:confused:

Rick and Roll
09-05-2003, 10:38 PM
I know no Spanish, but probably understood 90% of what was said on the post. Dagallardo my friend, you will have more ideas then will have $ for (especially if you take Yesspaz's advice and pick from the Aural Moon catalogue)!

I'll do the letter A -

Anekdoten - if you like crunchy Crimson-type stuff, and thunderous bass lines, with minor-key guitar and mellotron on the more subtle songs. their "From Within" record is real good, although the first two are also excellent.

Anglagard - more mellow and moody, with mellotron

After Crying - get another opinion. This name represents what I do after listening to them (and they're not tears of joy)!

Jan Akkerman - his solo records are very tasteful. Also try his old band, Focus.

Asia - avoid at all costs.

there, I'm done

ivan_2068
09-05-2003, 11:23 PM
I'll do the letter A -

Good idea Rick. Don't know if all this bands are in the catalogue I'l go with the B anyway:

Babylon : USA band ftom the late 70's, not exactly Neo prog' because they are inspired by early Genesis like Nursery Cryme and not in ATOTT as most Neo Prog' bands. Very symfonic band, much more complex and less commercial than Marilion.

Ill Balletto Di Bronzo: Excelent Italian band reminiscent of ELP but with that peculiar and excelent Italian Prog' distictuve sound. YS is their best work. Great Keyboards and heavy guitars.

Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso: One of the best Italian Bands, their album Darwin is a masterpiece, depending on the album you listen, can be found influences of Yes, King Crimson or even Genesis.

Banks Tony: "Avoid at all cost", not even the shadow of what he did with Genesis in early years, and almost as bad as what Genesis did after W&W or Duke.

Blocco Mentale: Seems many Italian bands start with "B", good symphonic music with flute, accoustic guitar and lots of Mellotron.

Bozzio Levin Stevens: Any band with Tony Levin and Terry Bozzio must be good, but Steve Stevens is amazing plays wild guitar (due to his hard rock roots) but with classical tendencies.

Hope somebody does the "C"

Iván

KeithieW
09-06-2003, 03:20 AM
Cairo ......Well worth checking out.
Camel......One of the best ever.
Can.........Kraut rock supreme. Check the tracks from Tago Mago.
Caravan......See Camel.
Celestial Navigations.......ONLY JOKING GUYS. AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!!!
Citizen Cain........Not too bad at all.
Clearlight........Any of them but especially Clearlight Symphony.
Billy Cobham.............Jazz Fusion, brilliant drummer.
Chick Corea..........Superb Jazz musician. also check his band Return to Forever.
Crucible........Really glad I found these guys via AM.
Curved Air........Especially Second Album.

Listening to AM can be hard on the wallet if, like me, you HAVE to own everything you hear and like.

Hope you don't have to work to hard. You're going to be glued to AM for years to come with these lists. Enjoy!!!!!

By the way. If you want more info about any of the bands mentioned check out this link:

http://www.gepr.net/geprfram.htm

Someone up for the Ds?

KeithieW
09-06-2003, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Rick and Roll
These guys all live within a 10-mile radius of me, and I've seen them about 20-30 times, almost exclusively in ultra-small venues (except for the one Nearfest). Echolyn and Iluvatar are two bands that I've had the priviledge (sp?) of seeing when they were just starting out.

A good choice, Keith, although I haven't lived that "day" you are referencing. That's pretty rarefied air.

I've seen them do most of "Misplaced Childhood", Unquiet/Afterglow, Ripples, Comfortably Numb, and even "Man In The Wilderness". Good stuff.

As you know Rick I respect your judgment.

I've ordered all their albums via Kinesis.

Luckily Pam's at work and doesn't know what I've done yet so I might get away with it for a few weeks. :D

Rick and Roll
09-06-2003, 03:04 PM
Our friend will rue the day he asked for advice - he will have to buy a CD a day!

Sorry about the Iluvatar - I thought you owned those!:eek:

I'm only buying about a CD a month for the past several years, so I missed some bands as they go. IQ is one. I have "Lush" and "Wake" and nothing else. What's another good one to get by them?

KeithieW
09-06-2003, 03:10 PM
Our friend will rue the day he asked for advice - he will have to buy a CD a day!

Sorry about the Iluvatar - I thought you owned those!:eek:

Good though ain't it???

No, I'd only got to hear them via AM.....which I do a lot.

Hey Focus II's just started to play.

See you soon. May have a question for you about NEARfest 2004.

dinosaur
09-07-2003, 08:29 PM
A short list of D-bands to try:

Discipline (USA) - Detroit band in the vein of Marillion with a touch of blues.
Djam Karet (USA) - Essential, if not too much like early Genesis.
Dixie Dregs (USA) - A bit more straight rock, in Kansas sort of way. Great guitar (Steve Morse).
Dwalin (Chile) - Early Genesis influence, a bit more "accessible", perhaps.
Deus Ex Machina (Italy) - Also Essential.
Dagmähr (Canada) - Very much in the Marillion vein.

Rick and Roll
09-07-2003, 08:48 PM
good ones, but I feel the first two need clarity - both Discipline and Djam Karet are way too complicated to compare to Marillion and Genesis - both D bands are very unique.

Djam Karet being w/o vocals really makes a point of reference hard. There should be enough on the AM playlist to get a good feel for them, however.

I've seen Discipline four times, and the only blues-inflected song they ever did was "Homegrown" - unfortunately, for now, that's the only song on the AM playlist.

Didn't mean to nit-pick, Dinosaur.

Good inclusion of Deus - another powerhouse live act.

zvinki
09-07-2003, 09:35 PM
I find "The Watch" sounds a lot like Fish-era Marillion. They only have one CD ("Ghost" I think) and is often played on AM. You should give them a listen.

dinosaur
09-08-2003, 08:35 AM
You're right, R and R.
I knew I was leaning away from the style of Genesis/Marillion (both bands probably cringe at the slash I'm putting between their names).
I guess I must be remembering the early days of AM when every other song was Yes/Genesis (yikes, another slash!) and our wise and benevolent program directors gently nudged us toward a wider base of new, and old, prog.

I'm a dinosaur
Somebody is nit-picking my bones...
:D

Rick and Roll
09-08-2003, 08:50 AM
Isn't it interesting that Marillion got blasted (and rightly so at the time) for "Grendel" and its 9/8 ripoff, and now they're the yardstick? At least they had the balls to do it, and there's no patent on that time signature.

To open up a can of worms - Except for a few really decent tunes (most of Season's End, Dry Land), what happened to the rest of the band after Fish left? I saw them on the Season's End tour (my only time I saw them):( , and they were good, but for crying out loud, put some ass back in your music, will you?

Thanks for the "nit-pick" joke - I not feeling well today and that should pick me up for a while!:cool:

KeithieW
09-08-2003, 09:50 AM
To open up a can of worms - Except for a few really decent tunes (most of Season's End, Dry Land), what happened to the rest of the band after Fish left? I saw them on the Season's End tour (my only time I saw them):( , and they were good, but for crying out loud, put some ass back in your music, will you?

Rick,

Sorry you're not feeling well and hope you feel better soon.

Found this link to a Marillion family tree which I thought interesting. I didn't know that we could link them to Camel and GTR.

Anyway, see what you think and get well soon.

http://marillion.com/band/tree.html

Too old to Rick and Roll, too young to die.

Rick and Roll
09-08-2003, 11:09 AM
I found the date I saw Marillion - the Internet is a cool thing. I pulled out my ticket - only $5.

Keith - thanks, for the kind words mate.

progskunk
09-08-2003, 12:18 PM
Rick - per your IQ inquiry.

I recently got Seventh House and it is pretty good. The 2 signature pieces are "Seventh House" and "Wrong Side Of Weird". Take a listen from the requests and then decide if those are enough for an album purchase. The other songs on the CD are OK - IMHO.

KeithieW
09-08-2003, 01:50 PM
Rick,

Try and hear "Nine in a pond is here", "Nomzamo" and "Are you sitting comfortably".

They feature a different vocalist from "Attic" and "Wake" but don't let that put you off. They all have some good moments on them.

Rick and Roll
09-08-2003, 02:09 PM
Progskunk - thanks!

Keith - see the Dream Theater post (today) - I wasn't into the first vocalist for a long time!

byzantium
09-08-2003, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by zvinki
I find "The Watch" sounds a lot like Fish-era Marillion. They only have one CD ("Ghost" I think) and is often played on AM. You should give them a listen.

In my ears the Watch is more of a Gabriel-era-Genesis clone than Marillion ever was. I heard the them live three weeks ago.

ivan_2068
09-09-2003, 12:14 AM
If you want to listen a band that sounds very much like Genesis and you don't care about lyrics in Spanish, try the album Avenida Larco by the peruvian band Frágil.

They started in the mid 70's as a cover band, and played mostly Genesis and Yes songs, in 1980 they released this album which is their masterpiece, eventhough the Gemnesis influence is obvious you can find some Tull and Yes sounds also, but with their personal touch.

If you don't like songs in foreign language at least try the song OBERTURA, a great instrumental with powerful guitar and keyboards, I'm sure that after listening it you'll give the album a chance.

Sadly history repeats itself, and like Genesis, Frágil became more and more commercial after this release, this lasts years they are trying to sound prog' again and in 2002 they released Sorpresa en el Tiempo a new version of Avenida Larco but with better sound plus a 27 piece Philarmonic Orchestra and three bonus songs.

Iván

KeithieW
09-09-2003, 02:34 AM
I found "Sorpresa en el Tie" on Amazon.

sounds as if the "Avenida Larco" is more difficult to find but I'll have a go.

Thanks again Ivan.

ivan_2068
09-09-2003, 10:37 PM
sounds as if the "Avenida Larco" is more difficult to find but I'll have a go.

Sorpresa en el Tiempo is a great album, has most of the songs from Avenida Larco and the Philarmonic gives a special sound to the music, mostly because they only add the Orchestra to the Keyboard parts but don't touch the powerfull sound from the rest of the instruments.

Tracks 1 to 9 are from Avenida Larco.

Iván

KeithieW
09-22-2003, 11:08 AM
"Sorpresa en el Tiempo" has just arrived at chez Waye and I LOVE it!!!!

Excellent recommendation Ivan. I've also just found "Avenida Larco" on e-bay and put a bid in for it. Now for the big wait to see if I'm succesful.
:rolleyes:

ivan_2068
09-22-2003, 10:19 PM
I've also just found "Avenida Larco" on e-bay and put a bid in for it.

I will check in little stores here in Lima if there is some copy availlable and I'll tell you.

Iván