PDA

View Full Version : Opeth

byzantium
09-08-2003, 04:38 PM
I suppose most people here can't stand death growl (I don't mind), but the symphonic death rockers Opeth latest album Damnation which exclusively features mellow songs with e.g. mellotron and acoustic guitar – several of them inspired by Camel – would be a welcome addition to the playlist.

What do you think?

Rick and Roll
09-08-2003, 08:15 PM
They're fairly open-minded, and you may get an audience there (a trial run, so to speak).

zvinki
09-09-2003, 06:54 AM
I definately agree. I bought the CD after I saw them a couple of months ago and haven't removed it from my CD player. It is excellent, melancholy, introspective, beautifully complex music.

Avian
09-09-2003, 10:41 AM
We've featured Opeth many times on the Gagliarchives... I have the album, just gotta get it in.

Avian

byzantium
09-09-2003, 04:57 PM
And what do you think about the growl which of course is an intergral part of their 'death repertoire'? I didn't like it at first, but then I figured out that extreme metal probably needs 'extreme' or 'harsh' vocals of some kind, in the same way as the mellow parts of their songs need 'clean vocals'. Mikael Åkerlund of Opeth changes his vocals following this pattern.

Most people, however, tend not to agree with me on this...:( They simply cannot stand it

PlayingTheFool
09-09-2003, 05:53 PM
The only Progressive Metal band that I enjoy is Pain of Salvation.

byzantium
09-09-2003, 06:43 PM
To me symphonic/progressive death metal à la Opeth is different from progressive metal à la Dream Theater, et al. It's the distinction between heavy and extreme metal that is involved here. Extreme metal is heavier, faster, darker.

Rick and Roll
09-09-2003, 08:11 PM
It's funny when growlers go back to melody - like Metallica is now - of course, it can be said that Metallica is now just blues.

The only time it works is Pantera - they can go back & forth really well.

I got a record by Geezer Butler where the singer just growls (the band the singer was in escapes me, but it's a popular metal band). Growling doesn't annoy me, I just think in many cases it's juvenile and unnecessary. But, growling has its place!

Rick and Roll
02-26-2004, 10:34 PM
I just listened to the CD and while it loses steam, it's a damn fine effort. I was very pleased.

KeithieW
02-27-2004, 02:43 AM
After much prompting from my nephew and a conversation I had with a very dear friend's son I went and got Damnation and was really pleased with the album.

I then went and listened to some more of their music and have to say that as far as AM goes "Damnation" would definitely sit nicely in the playlist but the other albums probably would not.

Sharuru
02-27-2004, 05:50 AM
i definitely agree with keith. But, Byzantium, I understand what you feel. Sometimes clean voice, or even screams are not enough, you just need growlings. My fav growling album of Poeth is My Arms your Hearse, i think.

Rick and Roll
02-27-2004, 07:20 AM
No one needs growling. If you like it ok, but need???

KeithieW
02-27-2004, 07:22 AM
We'll be asking for Napalm Death next..............

Heaven Forbid!

progdirjim
02-28-2004, 01:47 AM
I listened to the sound clips on CD universe - 30 seconds X 8 songs = 4 minutes- ummm .... BBOORRRRRIIINNNNNGGGGG.......
Opeth Damnation= the typical heavy metal band does ballads.....

I remain open minded, but so far I don't see what's progressive about them....

KeithieW
02-28-2004, 03:12 AM
I must admit that I heard a bit of Camel in some of the tunes on Damnation............but I understand where you're coming from Jim.

Mellotrons and string synths do not a prog album make.

byzantium
02-28-2004, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by progdirjim
I listened to the sound clips on CD universe - 30 seconds X 8 songs = 4 minutes- ummm .... BBOORRRRRIIINNNNNGGGGG.......
Opeth Damnation= the typical heavy metal band does ballads.....

I remain open minded, but so far I don't see what's progressive about them....

By any standards Opeth is a very untypical metal band, but Damnation is in many ways their least progressive release. The typical Opeth-sound is much more complex, but then again you have the growl, which few here can bear.

And of course, no serious judgment can be made from 30s samples, don't you agree?

Rick and Roll
02-28-2004, 09:29 AM
I always say the same thing Jim - there's a lot of stuff on AM I say is not progressive - Wishbone Ash, Manfred Mann, the Trevor Rabin Yes, etc etc. It matters little to me whether Opeth is on AM.

I was just saying I enjoyed the record and was surprised given the past reviews. I have never heard the other Opeth.

The songs are great - samples, who cares??? The record is excellent - but I care not whether it's on AM.