PDA

View Full Version : Explanations, please

Rick and Roll
10-24-2003, 09:06 PM
I'd like to use this thread in case a listener hears a band that they may need more information on, or would like to ask why the artist is on AM, or maybe to suggest other releases by the artist.

Although I will start this off in a negative way, maybe after we discuss this, we can also use the thread in the other ways mentioned above.

1) Why is Phish on Aural Moon? Bruce Hornsby's Harbor Lights, for instance, is way more in tune to what AM is, and that's not here. But Phish? I just don't get it. There's a million other bands that could be here if Phish is.

2) What's the deal with Citizen Cain? Early IQ and Marillion had the Genesis comparision issues (which they've worked out nicely), and Iluvatar had the Marillion/Collins comparison. And, we have the Starcastle/Galleon/Cairo thing. But Citizen Cain is just long songs cut from old Genesis riffs. Have I not heard enough of them? Please help, am I just generalizing?

PlayingTheFool
10-25-2003, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by Rick and Roll
1) Why is Phish on Aural Moon? Bruce Hornsby's Harbor Lights, for instance, is way more in tune to what AM is, and that's not here. But Phish? I just don't get it. There's a million other bands that could be here if Phish is.

Good point, though I must admit, their debut album "Junta" has some nice Fusion elements featured in the album tracks!

byzantium
10-25-2003, 09:08 AM

2) What's the deal with Citizen Cain? Early IQ and Marillion had the Genesis comparision issues (which they've worked out nicely), and Iluvatar had the Marillion/Collins comparison. And, we have the Starcastle/Galleon/Cairo thing. But Citizen Cain is just long songs cut from old Genesis riffs. Have I not heard enough of them? Please help, am I just generalizing?

Within the Genesis-sound-a-like genre I think that Citizen Cain have their own niche in virtue of the extreme (albeit woody) complexity and absense of lush and extravagant arrangements. Unfortunately there's also an almost total lack of memorable melodies as well.

progdirjim
10-26-2003, 01:50 AM
I'd like to use this thread in case a listener hears a band that they may need more information on, or would like to ask why the artist is on AM, or maybe to suggest other releases by the artist.

Although I will start this off in a negative way, maybe after we discuss this, we can also use the thread in the other ways mentioned above.

wow, I'm a little surprised. Citizen Cain certainly owes a LOT to Gabriel era Genesis, but no more so (IMO) than Iuvatar does to Collins era Genesis. I think both add enough of their own style to the music to make it worthwhile. I personally hear that Citizen Cain sounds LIKE old Genesis, but I don't hear them stealing any riffs. I find them enjoyable in that they're making music that I wish Genesis would make.

Phish - we had several requests for Phish, and I thought that some of their live work was reminiscent of Yes in all the right ways. Like Bruce Hornsby? I have Harbor Lights, and it's a favorite for several rational and sentimental reasons, but I think most Phish is quite a bit more progressive than Harbor Lights. But, what does everyone else think?

I ask because I care - great questions...

Rick and Roll
10-26-2003, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by progdirjim

I ask because I care - great questions...

Is that from Descartes? (How about, I ask therefore I am prog):D

Rick and Roll
10-26-2003, 09:05 AM

Like Bruce Hornsby? I have Harbor Lights, and it's a favorite for several rational and sentimental reasons

I love his work, and have them all up through "Spirit Trail". Your "rational and sentimental reasons" quote is a classic - I need to remember that and use it sometime (uhoh, I'm a quote stealer)!

byzantium
10-26-2003, 02:16 PM

I personally hear that Citizen Cain sounds LIKE old Genesis, but I don't hear them stealing any riffs

No, they only stole PGs voice:)

I find their music much more stiff and woody than Genesis, but then I only judge from their latest release.

Actually, the more I hear music inspired by Genesis, the more I appreciate the original.

What do you guys like The Watch? They did a fantastic gig here in Göteborg in August.

zvinki
10-26-2003, 04:10 PM
I'm glad that you mentioned The Watch. Being a long time Marillion fan I immediately took a liking to them and like them more evrytime I hear them. Again some people may criticize them as being a clone but ....

Yesspaz
10-27-2003, 02:01 PM
I, for one, requested Phish be added. Phish is a band that if I were running the playlist would be a track by track added band. Some of their stuff is, according to Gibralter Encyclopedia, "every bit as complex as Gentle Giant ever was." Some of their stuff, no way. As for Citizen Cain, I realize they worship PGGenesis, but that doesn't make them a bad band. I say leave them both on AM and add more stuff by them.

---Yesspaz goes to his closet to get out his flame resistant clothes---

Rick and Roll
10-27-2003, 09:07 PM
I'm still smarting from my high school SAT's 20+ years ago when they asked analogies. Now I've heard the goofiest.

In another thread, I stated that Rush's "Lamneth" has as much in common with Relayer as Ambrosia does with Ozric Tentacles.

Comparing Gentle Giant and Phish is much more strange.

Please burn that encyclopedia.

progdirjim
10-27-2003, 11:39 PM

I love his work, and have them all up through "Spirit Trail". Your "rational and sentimental reasons" quote is a classic - I need to remember that and use it sometime (uhoh, I'm a quote stealer)!

Feel free to use the quote. I have most of Hornsby's work, and while I like all of it, Harbor Lights is my favorite.

The rational part of it is just that it's a good album. The sentimental part had to do with when I first heard it, who I was with, blah blah blah. Good memories though...

PlayingTheFool
11-08-2003, 02:30 AM
The only Phish album I would suggest adding onto the playlist is "Junta." Many Fusion elements & I feel tracks like "The Divided Sky" & "David Bowie" are appropriate for Aural Moon.(But that is just me! :D )