PDA

View Full Version : Shout Box.

KeithieW
10-27-2003, 01:32 PM
Avian,

Any chance of getting the shout box extended?????

As you probably know it's got really popular with quite a few regulars shouting all day long.........I know we should really be working but it helps break up the day.

When things get busy (as they frequently do) some shouts get lost off the bottom of the page and requires a lot of scrolling down to read.

Extending it would help a lot.

Just an idea. :D

podakayne
10-27-2003, 01:51 PM
we could really use the space in the shoutbox if this is possible. ofton we skip over each other in conversation. it can be a bit difficult to follow.

the shoutbox is one of the things that stands apart on this site. we love it.
:)

zvinki
10-27-2003, 01:56 PM
For some of us that work and often jump in infrequently, it would help if we can scroll down ang get a better idea of what's been going on. It's tough to work and know that you are missing all the spotaneous wit from the bunch.

Yesspaz
10-27-2003, 02:09 PM
Rather than just extending it, how about making it a whole page, separate from the main page? Kind of like a chat room, but still a shoutbox.

Rick and Roll
10-27-2003, 09:22 PM
I am usually called a "spontaneous twit"!

Extending it would be cool, but another page means I would jump back and forth between "What's Playing" and that. But I'm not computer savvy, so that may not be an issue.

I have lately been in the heavy shouters side of the ledger, but soon I will not, so Zvinki's idea is very good.

Good to see a demand for it - I was skeptical when I used to see it, but it is a very good way of connecting. I especially love the fact that we have a very good crosssection of geographical areas represented.

Steady Stan
10-29-2003, 07:52 AM
The shoutbox has become one of the defining features of AM, along with the requests and the forums. It's the shoutbox, however that really allows interaction between like-minded people, with amazingly common interests, from far-flung locations all over the globe.

Either extending it, or perhaps having old posts go into some sort of history file, would be a welcome enhancement for those of us that read it more religiously than the morning newspaper.

Avian
10-29-2003, 08:07 AM
I'll look into extending the shoutbox.

How would you guys feel about a real-time chat feature? Would you use that as often as you use the shoutbox?

Avian

Rick and Roll
10-29-2003, 08:32 AM
As stated, I am not up on the ways of the computer. I'll adjust to whatever everyone wants (you won't get rid of me that easily)!

zvinki
10-29-2003, 08:37 AM
Pardon by lack of cyber savvy, but I don't know what is the difference aside from maybe a larger window. If it would make it easier for you then I am OK with it.

KeithieW
10-29-2003, 09:33 AM
I think a "proper" chat box would be good. It would be more instantaneous and do away with having to refresh the screen or wait for the auto refresh.

From what I see the shout box is pretty busy from about 1:00pm GMT right through to 3:00am GMT. I'm sure the rest of the guys (and Gal :) ) would find it a good thing too.

We seem to have got a nice little AM family circle going here with more people popping in every day.

Come and join the shouters choir yourself once in a while. I'm sure you will become very big headed with all the adulation you'll get thrown your way.

Yesspaz
10-29-2003, 12:13 PM
live chat would rule...

KeithieW
10-30-2003, 04:08 AM
Avian,

I know you get nowt for nowt these days. Would there be a cost involved in setting this up??

I would be more than happy to contribute towards it should that be the case.

PayPal is a wonderful thing (but don't tell my Wife that) :D

KeithieW
10-30-2003, 06:30 AM
I notice that there are a greater number of shouts before they drop off the screen. Great!!! Thanks Avian.

Avian
10-30-2003, 08:26 AM
Live chat would be really easy to set up. We had it for a long time, but few people used it.

Now that there's a demand for it, I'll get to working on it this weekend!

Avian

Rick and Roll
10-30-2003, 08:32 AM
Fly on, bird of change!

KeithieW
10-30-2003, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Avian
Live chat would be really easy to set up. We had it for a long time, but few people used it.

Now that there's a demand for it, I'll get to working on it this weekend!

Avian

You're a star!!

progdirjim
10-30-2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Rick and Roll
Fly on, bird of change!

drop a few quarters on me.... :D (or shillings, if you prefer, Keith)

KeithieW
11-06-2003, 05:51 AM
Did you have any more thoughts on this Avian????

Things have been getting real busy in the shoutbox recently. Yesterday while Extended Play was on it was really manic.