PDA

View Full Version : Rush - Test For Echo

progdirjim
12-10-2003, 08:40 PM
I figured out what I don't like about this album, if anyone's interested. (The subject has come up in at least two other threads.)

It's primarily Alex's guitar sound. On pretty much every track, he's got the overdrive going, some distortion, and too much sustain. And, he does more strumming on this album than maybe anywhere else. All this combines to make all the songs sound like a muddled mess, with no dynamics. No volume, intensity, or rhythm dynamics. Because of this, it's pretty hard to appreciate Neil's drumming. You've got one of the best rock drummers ever, and you've pretty much taken him out of the mix. Same thing with Geddy's synthesizer colorings - you just miss them unless you're listening for them.

I have a few other minor complaints (Geddy's vocals are uninspired, and Neil's lyrics just don't click). But, it still is a decent album, and I've recently uploaded it to Avian, so it will be added soon. But I still rank it near the bottom of Rush's efforts.

Flame away....
(no bait here Rick - just my honest opinion again:cool: )

Rick and Roll
12-10-2003, 09:06 PM
Nothing wrong with an educated opinion.

Ain't no way this ear can hear the things you hear, man. If I could, that would probably concern me too.

The dynamic thing does strike a chord (pardon the pun). I have friends who complain about Iluvatar (especially the vocalist) - same concern. And music is indeed more vibrant with peaks and valleys.

Now here's why I like it. With the exception of a few tracks, I was very pleased with Counterparts. The three releases prior were just spotty, and not up to Rush standards. Keeping that in mind, I was expecting TFE not to be as good. But it's better.

Driven, Virturality, and Time and Motion are very powerful. Just flat out great hard rock.

Time and Motion has traces of Cygnus, Dog Years has Bastille Day riffs, and Half the World had parts of Lakeside Park. A good little flashback, for me.

Half the World, Totem, and The Color of Right are really mature tunes. They have a lot of depth. Limbo is maybe their best instrumental since YYZ.

I really like Neil's lyrics on this record (esp. Half the World, Driven, TFE). The problen is that since Power Windows, Geddy keeps repeating them - he sings way too much in the later rush catalogue.

I'm not real happy with Resist (especially since their live acoustic is so much better) or Dog Years. But overall, it's the cleanest sounding Rush record I've heard.

Now if you want to get me started, explain why Vapor Trails is good.............

Thanks for the post Jim. Hearing your opinion, even if it differs, is exponentially beter than "it sucks" or "it rocks".

zvinki
12-11-2003, 07:52 AM
I don't like TFE. I find the sound quality is shallow and the album has an unsubstantial feel to it. I cringe when I hear Dog Years but I agree with Rick's picks for outstanding songs.

Now Counterparts I like. The sound is heavier and more raw and the lyrics rock :D! But seriously Cold Fire. for example, has some of the best contemporary Rush lyrics as an unothodox take on relationships. Musically, I find that the instruments stand out better and Geddy's voice is pushed further to the back (where it belongs). I also like the fact that there are less keyboards since I find them weak and generally a distraction to the rest of the instruments.

I also like VT. I'll catch you in the White Room to debate this further, Rick.

Yesspaz
12-11-2003, 12:57 PM
Yes! I really like this album (not using the word "love" here). Wow. I'm weirded out bu your critique there Jim. I thought the sound was great. Driven, Time and Motion, Limbo, Test for Echo - what killer prog tunes. There's some "poppy" stuff like Half the World, but Rush's pop is more prog than a pop band's prog. As for Dog Year's, I like it because it finally brings in some humor to Rush's catalogue. The last time they even told a joke was "I Think I'm Going Bald."

Kudos to Jim for adding it...

Now, if we can just get him to add Counterparts (HA!, yeah right).

Rick and Roll
12-11-2003, 01:25 PM
damn, between uzeb's DT post and Yesspaz/Zvinki, we're making way too much sense here.

How did this all happen?

Bob Lentil
12-11-2003, 01:45 PM
I'm a big fan of Test for Echo, though I agree the sound could considered a bit muddled and noisy (not as much as Vapor Trails though). With the exception of Dog Years and Carve Away the Stone, I enjoy every song on the album, especially Resist, which is one of my favorites. Counterparts is probably one of my least favorite Rush albums, ranking just above the first three and Roll the Bones. Cold Fire is very high on my list of worst Rush songs ever, the chorus irritates me to no end. I enjoy the overall sound of Counterparts, but most of the songs don't really impress me that much (Animate and Leave That Thing Alone being the two exceptions).