Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion

Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion (http://auralmoon.com/forum/index.php)
-   Music Suggestions (http://auralmoon.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Several suggestions. (http://auralmoon.com/forum/showthread.php?t=448)

Neil T 02-15-2003 11:55 PM

Several suggestions.

I've recently enjoyed listening to your "radio" station since I got broadband and am considering paying for high quality access.

In the mean time, here are some suggestions.

First, I concur with your other listners about the Strawbs and Tangerine Dream. Both bands have had something of an identity crisis in their history (ditto genesis for that matter) but some of their early 70's work was absolutely beautiful, Ricochet and Tears and Pavan spring particularly to mind.

Gong, Focus and the Enid were also particularly strong in that era and would play well in your format, I think.

Less obvious, but also worth a thought are Wishbone Ash, Thin Lizzy and even Alice Cooper (yes I know, but some of that 70's material was pretty artsy stuff).

I'd also like to hear just a little more "real" classical. I know you throw the occasional one in there but some of the popular classical pieces would add a real air of spice to the format.

Finally, I've been reviewing songs on Garageband.com and discovered a few unsigned artists with some spectacularly good offerings, although they are probably only available as MP3's. In that vein I would particularly recommend Bliss by Zambow and Breathe by Difference Engine.

Congratulations on the format and I look forward to listening to a LOT more of what you have to offer.

progdirjim 02-17-2003 01:17 AM

Well, we just added the Strawbs "Hero and Heroine", and we do have a fair amount of Tangerine Dream. If I can find some more of their stuff at a reasonable price, we'll likely get it.

We also have a fair amount of Gong, and most of what Focus recorded.

We do have one Wishbone Ash album on the station.

More of the above artists, as well as Enid, Thin Lizzy, and Alice will be considered. And I'll check out the songs you mentioned.

More classical will be forthcoming, but I'm being real selective as we've had mixed feedback on that...

Thanks!

Oh, and good choice on the avatar...

Neil T 02-17-2003 04:53 PM

Thanks for the response, as I discovered more about your site I discovered that some of them were here.

Interesting re: the classical. I'm surprised you had objections.

It's an interesting topic so I'll start a thread see what people are thinking in that regard. I've always assumed it would be welcomed.

Oh - and if you'd like me to chase down those "unreleased" suggestions for you (and requisite permissions if applicable) just say the word.

Yesspaz 02-18-2003 02:33 PM

No More Classical!!!

I know I'm a stinker, but no classical please! I like classical music, but if I wanted to listen to it at any given moment I'd go to public radio. I pay for internet access, so I want to be able to listen to as much prog that I don't own as I can. If you are going to add something to "spice" it up now and again, I'd rather have experimental rock or ethnic music. I know that prog has a classical background, but it also has a jazz one as well. If there's a lot of classical added, than I want to see Charles Mingus, Wes Montgomery, and Miles Davis.

Sorry, I just want my Brain Rock classical-less.

The Yesspaz's two cents.

JRV 02-18-2003 07:51 PM

In the 70s, WNEW-FM, NYCs best prog station, used to mix in an occasional classical piece. Or jazz, as Yesspaz not-quite-suggests. Or big band. Or Sinatra. Or Elvis. Or just about anything. Even top 40 or <gasp> disco. Didn't happen often, but it happened. Although the afternoon DJ was a huge Sinatra fan and worked him into sets regularly.

What made it work, though, was theme sets. There aren't a lot of those on AM, esp. since listeners can only request one song per hour. So I side with Yesspaz. Classical and other genres are a distraction on AM, even an annoyance.

It would be cool though, if listeners could program theme sets!

Jeff

KeithieW 02-19-2003 02:24 AM

Theme sets.

Jeff,
Like that idea. Taking it a step further, AM, when I listened to Radio Caroline back in the 70s they had a weekly slot where one of their listeners could put together their top 10/20/30 tracks depending on the length obviously.
Is this something you might consider here? Maybe an e-mail or something could be sent with the "wish list" and you, Davin, as the big cheese could pick the one that gets programmed that week.
Just a thought............might be fun.
On the subject of Classical music on AM. I love classical music but I don't think it's right for AM. Even though a lot of Prog is based around classical theory and the likes of Steve Howe have recorded Vivaldi and Bach that is still "Rock" and that's what I tune in to hear. If I wanted to listen to pure Classical music I'd go to BBC Radio 3 or classic FM. By all means keep the selections you have but I don't want to see the list expanded....sorry.

Steady Stan 02-20-2003 09:19 AM

First off, I'd like to thank AM for enhancing my work environment. I'm usually listening from 8 to 5, M-F.

Here's some suggestions: White Witch, Fireballet's first album, Pavlov's Dog, City Boy, more Styx (early stuff and the new one, Cyclorama), Kansas's "In the Spirit of Things" with Steve Morse, Dream Theater.

I don't mind the occasional classical piece for variety, as long as they aren't too long of pieces.

Thanks again for introducing many new (to me) prog bands and keeping the prog flame burning.

Avian 02-20-2003 10:15 AM

Keith,

Thanks for reminding us of that idea that we came up with last year, but never got around to it.

Post your best setlist here

progdirjim 02-23-2003 01:03 AM

Here's my current thoughts on the multiple topics in this thread:
classical - we will selectively add some more shorter pieces - so don't worry too much, Yesspazz - if you hear classical, hopefully it'll be less than 5 minutes long.

Pavlov's Dog - haven't heard them or even of them in years - I'll see what I can find. Fireballet - love that band - anyone know where I can find CDs?

WNEW - wow, a blast from my past - I grew up in NYC, and remember hearing all kinds of great stuff on WNEW.

One last thing - when requesting additions to AM, try to stick with this format - one band/album/song per request, and put the band's/album/song name as the subject - makes it much easier for me to keep track of the requests. We really try to fill as many as possible, but it's challenging - I spend 10's of hours (and many $$) a week on the station, so throw me a bone here!

:D

JRV 02-23-2003 01:19 AM

Quote:

WNEW - wow, a blast from my past - I grew up in NYC, and remember hearing all kinds of great stuff on WNEW.
I guess while you were growing up in NY, I was growing up in NJ. Favorite DJ?

Mine was "Allison Steele...the Nightbird...at WNEW...FM...we fly until dawn." Actually, she flew until 2AM, but who's counting?

She had an encyclopedic knowledge of rock music, and a breathy voice to fuel hormone-saturated teenage male fantasies. Thanks to her, I stayed up way too many nights until 2AM and fell asleep in too many 1st period classes the next day!

Jeff

Rick and Roll 02-24-2003 09:54 PM

Play a variety!

It is very interesting to see all of these classic bands requested (Wishbone Ash, etc.) - I really dig stuff like If, Budgie, Manfred Mann, and the like. However, the reason I listen to Aural Moon is to hear things I cannot anywhere else. I'd rather hear three songs I don't like to hear that one that is really neat and I never have heard. It's too bad my education has been heretofore limited to festivals such as Nearfest, and my good friends @ Orion in Baltimore.

Of course the only drawback is that there is only so much money to spend, and I want to own it all!

Maybe sprinkle in some classic stuff, but keep on playing the current stuff.

KeithieW 07-03-2003 07:25 AM

AM Listeners own choice.

Are you still considering this idea Jim and Davin?

There were a few suggested programmes and I still think it would be a good idea.

Realised I posted this under the wrong(ish) thread. Sorry!!!

black max 07-07-2003 11:22 PM

Re: Theme sets.

Quote:

Originally posted by Keith Waye
...when I listened to Radio Caroline back in the 70s....
Damn, you said Radio CarolinE. I thought you said Radio CarolinA. I used to work at WXYC in Chapel Hill in the early '80s, where I honed my prog chops along with developing a fine appreciation for punk.

Sorry for the misread. Anyone in here ever listen to XYC before they discovered rap music and went to hell? Note of no real interest: they were the first US radio station to broadcast on the Internet, but that was way after my time.

straymoose 07-25-2003 03:44 PM

I haven't seen anyone mention Flash. I did a serach and nothing came up.

KeithieW 07-25-2003 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by straymoose
I haven't seen anyone mention Flash. I did a serach and nothing came up.

Please feel free to get a conversation going. People who post here are very wide ranging in taste and opinion and are not backward in coming forward with ideas.

For the record I thought Flash were very underrated and I listen to the 3 albums of theirs that I have on a fairly regular basis. My own personal favourite is "In the Can". There's some great music on that album.