Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion

Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion (http://auralmoon.com/forum/index.php)
-   Music Suggestions (http://auralmoon.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Led Zeppelin? One Tune? (http://auralmoon.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1000)

Rick and Roll 02-29-2004 03:10 PM

Led Zeppelin? One Tune?

How in the name of prog did led Zeppelin get a song on the Moon?

And if it's only one song, why Black Mountain Side? A 2 minute song?

Is this a joke, mistake, etc?

If not, then maybe I'll list some real prog Zeppelin songs.

I look in and it's playing. Oh, I think, Zep One's added. So I look in the requests and that's it. One tune.

????????????????????????

Michael 02-29-2004 10:14 PM

Maybe some Achilles Last Stand, Carouselambra or maybe The Ocean(I liked it when Zebra did a remake of it thou)

Yesspaz 02-29-2004 10:38 PM

hmmm

Well, I know we've had this thread before, but after searching for it, I realized it was so long ago it was before this newer version of the forums. Man, that was back in 2000. Since the topic has been dug up again, and knowing this'll go nowhere, here's my list for suggested select Zeppelin songs:

Achilles' Last Stand
Caroselambra
In the Light
In the Evening
The Rain Song
Kashmir
How Many More Times
Dazed and Confused
Four Sticks
The Battle of Evermore
No Quarter
Trampled Under Foot
Tea For One
All My Love
Bonzo's Montreaux

progdirjim 02-29-2004 10:43 PM

it may go somewhere. I've been considering adding some more Zeppelin. How about some feedback, knowing "Rock And Roll" and "Stairway To Heaven" ain't going to make it...

Yesspaz 02-29-2004 10:46 PM

as well as

if I see Communication Breakdown ever added to AM, I'll take my business elsewhere :D

Michael 02-29-2004 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by progdirjim
it may go somewhere. I've been considering adding some more Zeppelin. How about some feedback, knowing "Rock And Roll" and "Stairway To Heaven" ain't going to make it...
I have to say I hate Stairway To Heaven and i don't know why.Maybe they played it to death :(

Rick and Roll 03-01-2004 06:58 AM

still looking for an answer

None of what anyone says has explained how that one song got on here. It's really weird. It's like the Grand Funk Railroad song.

Come on! How about one each from Chicago, Budgie, well you get the idea.

Let me put it this way. "Closer To Home" and "Achilles Last Stand" are two of my top twenty favorite songs, EVER. That being said, they're not prog just great rock songs.

On that list, All My Love, how Many More Times, prog??? Really? I can think of fifteen Black Sabbath songs as prog as No Quarter.

Can you tell I'm passionate about this????

Include everything then. Stop piecemealing it. I love old Grand Funk. I don't need anyone telling me it's prog. I saw King's X cover that tune and saw Ozone Quartet do an instrumental "Four Sticks". Doesn't make it prog. Saw Echolyn do Zep and Yes. So?

Start including rock if it's what you want to do. It wouldn't bother me. But this partial stuff is opening up a big can o' worms.

KeithieW 03-01-2004 10:09 AM

Re: as well as

Quote:

Originally posted by Yesspaz
if I see Communication Breakdown ever added to AM, I'll take my business elsewhere :D
Be careful what you say Spaz.........Jim has a wicked sense of humo(u)r

Rick and Roll 03-01-2004 11:41 AM

I'd rather listen to Communication Breakdown than In The Evening. What a boring tune!

Michael 03-01-2004 12:29 PM

Re: still looking for an answer

Quote:

Originally posted by Rick and Roll
None of what anyone says has explained how that one song got on here. It's really weird. It's like the Grand Funk Railroad song.

Come on! How about one each from Chicago, Budgie, well you get the idea.

Let me put it this way. "Closer To Home" and "Achilles Last Stand" are two of my top twenty favorite songs, EVER. That being said, they're not prog just great rock songs.

On that list, All My Love, how Many More Times, prog??? Really? I can think of fifteen Black Sabbath songs as prog as No Quarter.

Can you tell I'm passionate about this????

Include everything then. Stop piecemealing it. I love old Grand Funk. I don't need anyone telling me it's prog. I saw King's X cover that tune and saw Ozone Quartet do an instrumental "Four Sticks". Doesn't make it prog. Saw Echolyn do Zep and Yes. So?

Start including rock if it's what you want to do. It wouldn't bother me. But this partial stuff is opening up a big can o' worms.

Good points!!!!! What next The Bee-gees :D .I myself Love the beatles and think IMHO there one of the all time great bands.I could say some of there later stuff could be considered prog in a way.That said i would still not think they belong here on AM.I see your point.

http://www.music.vt.edu/musicdiction...ssiveRock.html

Yesspaz 03-01-2004 12:57 PM

yawners

Without getting into yet another "what is prog" discussion, I will state what I've stated before so that you'll know where I'm coming from.

I like the ideas of "Art rock" or "Smart Rock" better than prog rock. I think of prog as rock music that brings in jazz, classical, and world music ideas and expands rock's palate. Zep had a lot of blues influence, but they also brought in Eastern stuff to, with nice odd rhythms. This is why I consider "Four Sticks" and add, but not "Hot Dog." So, yes, I look at it as "song by song," and I'll always stand by that. "Where does it end" you ask? When the individual song is not "art rock" or "smart rock." Well, some REM stuff is "arty," does that make it on AM? No. They are arty at times (Daysleeper, Losing My Religion), these songs don't "push the envelope" the way some Zep songs did. I don't care who the band is - if KISS did even ONE song that was progressive, I'd want it here. I'm not equating KISS with prog, but that hypothetical song? Play it.

Yesspaz, Enriching the world, two cents at a time.

Rick and Roll 03-01-2004 01:16 PM

missing my point

I don't profess to give the definition of prog. That's what you are doing when you say a certain song is prog (ie "Closer to Home").

It's going too far when we decide that certain Led Zeppelin tracks are not progressive.

Closer to Home came out in the late 60's. Don't sit there and tell me if it's prog or not. Leave that for the people who grew up with that song (I was a few years too late, sorry to say). I'd say "Black Licorice" has more prog elements.

BTW Kiss did God of Thunder and Larger Than Life, there's two.

Thank you Michael about the Beatles. Perfect example.

Can't we stop dispensing judgement on what is and what should never be:D prog and either include music by certain artists or not? Does LZ or Manfred Mann or Rush need to be on Aural Moon? Does Big Generator or Talk? Just include them -

but not individual tracks!!! Too subjective!

progdirjim 03-01-2004 01:36 PM

here's the ironic thing - I added Black Mountain Side after yesspaz and a few others had requested the addition of Led Zep awhile back. Why that song? I thought it wouldn't be controversial!

I'm in favor of adding individual songs when appropriate. It's a lower priority than adding entire albums that are worthy though, so by definition it will be erratic. I think having some individual songs enriches the AM experience more than it detracts from it - and I apologize in advance if you disagree...

VAXman 03-01-2004 01:38 PM

Re: missing my point

Quote:

I don't profess to give the definition of prog. That's what you are doing when you say a certain song is prog (ie "Closer to Home").

It's going too far when we decide that certain Led Zeppelin tracks are not progressive.

Closer to Home came out in the late 60's. Don't sit there and tell me if it's prog or not. Leave that for the people who grew up with that song (I was a few years too late, sorry to say). I'd say "Black Licorice" has more prog elements.

There are other GFR songs that would fit better into the genre than anything off of Am. Band.

Quote:

BTW Kiss did God of Thunder and Larger Than Life, there's two.

Kiss covered Rod Argent's and Russ Ballard's "God Gave Rock and Roll to You" and maybe other artists that are here on the moon but puhlez, Kiss is never going to be prog in my book!

Kiss is one of the bands, like Black Sabbath and Judas Priest, that I regret ever having wasted money to see.

VAXman 03-01-2004 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Michael
Maybe some Achilles Last Stand, Carouselambra or maybe The Ocean(I liked it when Zebra did a remake of it thou)
Nothing to comment other than I like your avatar Michael. ;) :D

Rick and Roll 03-01-2004 02:01 PM

holding on

I didn't want this to be a thread on the relative merits of Kiss, Priest, Sabbath, etc. I'll go toe to toe anytime on hard rock with you.

I wanted to point out the way this could grow into something too tangled to get out of.

Read all of my posts on this sometime and think about it.

VAXman 03-01-2004 02:32 PM

Re: holding on

Quote:

I didn't want this to be a thread on the relative merits of Kiss, Priest, Sabbath, etc. I'll go toe to toe anytime on hard rock with you.
The aforementioned have merits? :rolleyes:

Quote:

Read all of my posts on this sometime and think about it.

Personally, I kind of like Yesspaz's Art-rock/Smart-rock definitions.

In the end, I suppose, it's Jim's and Avian's call.

I think they've been more than fair and have added lots of music others have recommended. They've added the new Marillion I sent to the playlist even though I get a distinct impression they don't like the stuff as much as I and some others do. I don't care for newer Genesis (of course nobody could tell that! :cool: ) There are things played here I don't really care for (ie. I can listen but I'm not running out to purchase an entire catalog of the artist(s) in question.) This is still THE VERY BEST music I've heard in a long time (if ever) -- it's even better than the XMSR Music Lab which was my other avenue in my crusade against Commercial Rot radio.

There are also albums which have great music, mediocre music and music which inhales quite profusely. As a Marillion fan, there are songs I do not like. It's that way with other artists too. AFAIAC, as long as what they do is not to keep repeating the same "formula" and experiment with new/different sounds, that's, IMHO, a good thing. I think Jim and Avian are doing that with the station. I'd really hate if they'd derive some strict "formula" and say this fits a mould and/or that does not.

As long as Jim and Avian are open minded, I do not mind the occasional song that has raised this red flag. However, if the Villiage People show up on the playlist, I'm joining Yesspaz on his exodus. ;)

Rick and Roll 03-01-2004 02:56 PM

The percussion in Black Mountain Side makes it prog. It's all clear now.

I'd love to have a real-time discussion on this sometime.

This was never a matter of taste or personal preference - just practicality and sensibility. I like LZ as much as anyone. Let's not get into likes and dislikes anymore, start another thread if you want, I'll play.

Just not here.

Yesspaz 03-01-2004 10:20 PM

:)

This is fun...

Ok, some comments:

1. About KISS, I actually don't know anything by them except "I Want to Rock and Roll All Night and Party Every Day" and "Lick It Up" and I think one more. If KISS had two songs that make it, I had no idea.

2. RNR, great "What Is and What Should Never Be" reference. Nicely done.

3. To defy RnR :eek: and open up that can of worms, waaaay back before these new forums when we had the old forums, I had a select Beatles list as well, since someone brought them up. I won't reiterate the whole thing here (that's a whole 'nother thread), but I think songs like "Tomorrow Never Knows" and "Abbey Road Side Two" medley would cut it as "smart-rock."

Michael 03-02-2004 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by VAXman

Nothing to comment other than I like your avatar Michael. ;) :D

Yea im a Freak!!!Been into Marillion since they came out even when fish left.I din't like Hogarth(H) at first but he has grown on me.Im still a big Fan of Marillion and Fish.Yea i got my Deluxe Campaign Edition and all the other things that came before.They had a fantastic idea of using the internet to support them.It was pretty cool to get them to come to America with the tour fund.Im hopeing they make it to Cleveland this year to :)