Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion

Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion (http://auralmoon.com/forum/index.php)
-   Music Suggestions (http://auralmoon.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Achtung! -- Kraut Rock (http://auralmoon.com/forum/showthread.php?t=664)

Yesspaz 08-22-2003 01:16 PM

Achtung! -- Kraut Rock

I've not gotten into much Kraut-Rock yet, but I like what I've heard. I was browsing the playlist looking for Kraut-Rock, and there's not much.

There's a few albums by Can, Tangerine Dream, and Amon Duul, but that's about it. I'm not "suggesting" as much as asking, but what would you guys (the programmers and listeners included) think of adding a load of more Kraut-Rock? There's plenty more by the bands listed above, plus:

Faust
Klaus Schulze
Neu!
Cluster
Popol Vuh
Ash Ra Tempel
Moebius
Tony Conrad
Harmonia
Manuel
Appliance
Roedelius
La Dusseldorf
Brainticket
Phew
Village of Savoonga

If you know anything about these bands, let's discuss. I heard some Neu! at my local indie record store. Good stuff. One of my favorite indie bands, Tarentel, named an instrumental after Popol Vuh, so I'm interested in that.

Also, I'll say this. What makes me interested in finding out what you old-timers ;) think about these bands is that I, being of the younger persuasion (24) am into a lot of bands that cite Kraut-Rock as a major influence, such as Tarentel, Fontanelle, Tortoise, and To Rococo Rot. Anyway, let's talk Kraut-Rock...

byzantium 08-22-2003 04:46 PM

Just be prepared: Kraut is (often) very psychedelic. If you think 'Gates of Delirium' is psych you will O.D. when you hear Amon Düül II and early Ash Ra Tempel. There's a lot of zappa/gong-like craziness as well.

KeithieW 08-23-2003 02:50 PM

Are Kraan German?

Liked this band ever since I saw them on "The Old Grey Whistle Test" doing their track 'Holiday am Matterhorn'.

Went and bought "Kraan Live" on the strength of that and it's beginning to wear out. Great track!!

byzantium 08-23-2003 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Sven

Oh, what you said means specialy Brainticket and they where from Switzerland (often titled as a Krautrock Band by mistake).

You are suggesting that e.g. Amon Düül II and Ash Ra Tempel aren't (or only marginally) psychedelic?

dinosaur 08-24-2003 06:42 PM

More on Kraan at:
http://www.gepr.net/ki.html#KRAAN

KeithieW 08-24-2003 07:21 PM

Thanks

Thanks for the link dinosaur.

By the way........do you like T. Rex? :D

dinosaur 08-25-2003 07:53 AM

Einstein's "Fear of Relatives" notwithstanding,
I actually do like T. Rex

I'm a dinosaur
Somebody is diggin' my bones :eek:

Yesspaz 08-27-2003 09:46 AM

I really dig an Ash Ra Temple song I heard called "Wall of Sound," and just wondered what the rest of their stuff sounds like. I've heard Amon Duul II and thought is was great. I have no problem with psychedelia, as long as it is prog-psych.

byzantium 08-27-2003 04:13 PM

The classic, early 70s, Ash Ra Tempel features long, spacey guitar improvisations, often on top of the trance-like, metronomic drumming/rythm, which is so characteristic of kraut. Like Amon Düül II but less heavy, sometimes even ambient/atmospherical.

I haven't heard "Wall of Sound"

Yesspaz 09-04-2003 02:04 PM

Wall of Sound

Here's some info on Wall of Sound. I heard it on a different internet radio station, before I found AM, of course...
:p

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...vu6m962ogep 2

BAiTBand 09-13-2003 02:55 AM

There are so many good German bands out there. Good musicianship has always been appreciated in Germany.

I notice that Stern Combo Meissen are already on the playlist. Grobschnitt are very much worth a listen. Utterly mad (very silly) lyrics but beautiful music and fantastic production, particularly on the 1977 album, Rockpommel's Land.

I heartily recommend it.

Many of the Ostrock bands (bands from the former East Germany) were excellent, such as Stern Combo Meissen, Lift, and Electra (all three still perform joint gigs under the 'Sachsendreier' name). City are worth a listen too (Am Fenster).

Too many to mention!!

KeithieW 09-13-2003 04:18 AM

Welcome BAiTBand!!!

Welcome to the Aural Moon forums BAiTBand.

Some good info there. I'll check them out.

I've already heard Grobschnitt and like them a lot. As you say the lyrics are, shall we say, ODD but the music is excellent.

I have a liking for Eloy myself. They are on the AM playlist.

Be warned if you've not tuned into AM before be careful of the "What's playing now" window. The 'Buy' button can become addictive.

progdirjim 11-12-2003 12:54 PM

I've ordered Faust IV, let's get some feedback on it once it gets to the playlist...

Yesspaz 11-14-2003 09:44 AM

looking forward to it:cool:

byzantium 11-15-2003 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by progdirjim
I've ordered Faust IV, let's get some feedback on it once it gets to the playlist...
You could get one already now:

The track 'Krautrock' is quite enervating... Sounds like you've blowed your speakers.

progdirjim 12-28-2003 11:18 PM

I've ordered Neu! 2...