Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion

Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion (http://auralmoon.com/forum/index.php)
-   Website (http://auralmoon.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Additional search for the RQ area. (http://auralmoon.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3711)

KeithieW 02-28-2008 06:48 AM

Additional search for the RQ area.

I have a suggestion for the RQ area of the site. Is it possible to rig so you can do a search for a particular year? I occasionally like to RQ from a particular year and that would be a real help.

I know some of the years are wrong but they are few and far between and this would make a good enhancement......assuming it's not a pain to do of course.

Ted 02-28-2008 07:05 AM

Re: Additional search for the RQ area.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeithieW (Post 32225)
I have a suggestion for the RQ area of the site. Is it possible to rig so you can do a search for a particular year? I occasionally like to RQ from a particular year and that would be a real help.

I know some of the years are wrong but they are few and far between and this would make a good enhancement......assuming it's not a pain to do of course.

I agree with KW here.... we occasionally - now adays, very ocasionally, have a theme of a particular year.... and this feature would be ideal...

But in general... it would be a nice addition.

My 2 cents...

From Texas,
Ted

OverHillandDale 02-28-2008 09:12 PM

I'd still love to see a category of country and genre sub category to search by. But I know the database included in SAMantha does not allow that. :(

VAXman 02-29-2008 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverHillandDale (Post 32236)
I'd still love to see a category of country and genre sub category to search by. But I know the database included in SAMantha does not allow that. :(

If you want to catalog over 25K tracks to add the genre and country of origin first, I'll gladly add the ability to search it. :D

OverHillandDale 02-29-2008 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VAXman (Post 32243)
If you want to catalog over 25K tracks to add the genre and country of origin first, I'll gladly add the ability to search it. :D

I'd be happy to take on that task if we get a quorum from the other listeners that it would be a feature they would like.

Chime in folks if you'd like to have the ability to search by Country and have it in the song information.

Also, chime in if you'd like to have a catorization of Genre/sub-genre for the groups.

KeithieW 02-29-2008 08:22 AM

It might be good Dale but in all honesty by the time you finished the task I'll probably be pushing up the daisies. :D

VAXman 02-29-2008 08:27 AM

OK. I have added a query by Year. This isn't always correct as the station database doesn't always maintain correct info. However, if you should happen upon something that is incorrect or undated, let me or Jim or Dr. Dot know and it can be easily remedied.

I have also added to the length of search selections.... You can now search
  • All

Please use these extended search limits sparingly. If you do a wild card search on the library with "All", expect to sit for some time. There are over 25K tracks in the library! If I find that this is being abused, I will place some limitations on the library searching.

Rick and Roll 02-29-2008 12:23 PM

Dale's query - I personally don't care which country the music hails from as long as I like it. Then you have bands like Ghost Circus and Toad who have multi-country founding members...I just wouldn't see a value in being able to search by country. But have at it if you like!

Year search - Many adds to the library are re-releases, which generally are tagged with the re-release date. Again, a year search is not important to me, but it looks like it's important to Mr. Waye, and vax is already all over it.

:-V

RogorMortis 02-29-2008 12:29 PM

Damn I can't keep up with the library as I only have 21096 songs in mine.........and I can search for the year of the album which can be a help.....

Bmithra 02-29-2008 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VAXman (Post 32248)
OK. I have added a query by Year. This isn't always correct as the station database doesn't always maintain correct info. However, if you should happen upon something that is incorrect or undated, let me or Jim or Dr. Dot know and it can be easily remedied.

I have also added to the length of search selections.... You can now search
  • All

Please use these extended search limits sparingly. If you do a wild card search on the library with "All", expect to sit for some time. There are over 25K tracks in the library! If I find that this is being abused, I will place some limitations on the library searching.

Thank You so much VAX.:notworthy
I did not think I said anything about this before, but those limitations in the search results used to drive me crazy.

I hated it when I would search the library, see 133 results, showing 50.

You read my mind, you shoould be careful. Its not safe in there.

Again Thank You :rawk: :salute :salute

mossy 02-29-2008 01:50 PM

:D bm.

Dale, I wouldn't find a country search helpful. It never even enters my mind to search in that way (you must love synphonic's site). I'm not sure if you want people who "wouldn't" find it useful to pipe up too. But I hope you get a few yes'es because it's something you would love to have and are willing to put in the work, which is remarkable.

Vax, expanding the numbers is a great addition. Thank you.

Rick and Roll 02-29-2008 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mossy (Post 32255)
:D bm.

Dale, I wouldn't find a country search helpful. It never even enters my mind to search in that way (you must love synphonic's site). I'm not sure if you want people who "wouldn't" find it useful to pipe up too. But I hope you get a few yes'es because it's something you would love to have and are willing to put in the work, which is remarkable.

Vax, expanding the numbers is a great addition. Thank you.

Yes I second the compliment of the expansion...

I love Greg Walker's company, but I dislike his filing...especially in person at his table...alphabetize it please! :flutter:

VAXman 02-29-2008 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mossy (Post 32255)
[i]Vax, expanding the numbers is a great addition. Thank you.

Bigger IS better! :knowing:

Yesspaz 02-29-2008 03:45 PM

Bigger searches = thanks VAX.

As for country of artist = awesome idea.

As of the sub-genre, to me that gets iffy. I can see already somebody arguing intensely over the genre of a band or song, and it turning into the next thing to fight over and fix. Mahavishnu = Fusion. Ok, those are easy, but is King Crimson fusion, or jazz-rock, or prog metal? Or does it depend on the album?

Some Yes is symphonic prog and some is pop prog and "Talk" is prog-metal? That'd be a nightmare to fight about. Is Marillion prog or neo-prog or something else?

I say go for it on country, but avoid the sub-genre thing.

My two cents, anyway.

gr8sho92 03-01-2008 03:48 PM

I has also once suggested original album release year be searchable. I like the idea of sub-genre too. Progarchives might a useful resource in this regard.

MrMagoo 03-03-2008 12:46 PM

Thanx Vax, I love having longer than 50 searches, especially since the 2nd page of searches broke so long ago. Date is nice, but not a biggie to me. OTOH, I'd love to have country added. Exploring the library by country has been a great pleasure; I use the Synphonic country page & Greg's comments to explore.

VAXman 03-03-2008 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrMagoo (Post 32301)
Thanx Vax, I love having longer than 50 searches, especially since the 2nd page of searches broke so long ago. Date is nice, but not a biggie to me. OTOH, I'd love to have country added. Exploring the library by country has been a great pleasure; I use the Synphonic country page & Greg's comments to explore.

Adding the search is a no brainer but the present database does not maintain this info. I believe it would be a monumental effort to add country to the database of 25K songs.

If Greg has this information in a database, perhaps he would share it? I could then join the information.