Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion

Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion (http://auralmoon.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion/Prog News (http://auralmoon.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What CD's Are you Playing Right Now? Top 5 (http://auralmoon.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2090)

TruthInAd 12-20-2005 05:11 PM

Re: What CD's Are you Playing RIght Now? Top 5

Royksopp - The Understanding
Henry Threadgill - Make a Move
Ecce Hobo - yet unreleased debut CD
Mick Karn - everything
Anything on the And/Oar label

Rick and Roll 12-23-2005 11:59 AM

Chaos Code - Propaganda
Kurgan's Bane - Camoflauged In Static
Gary Hoey's Christmas CD's
Gamalon - Aerial View
and a cool Anglagard mixdown from Nearfest when I was at Orion last night

Michael 12-24-2005 02:38 AM

Well i just picked up the new Phish-New years eve 1995(Amazing IMHO)
others
Spock's beard-Octane
Steve Walsh-Glossolalia
King Crimson-Discipline
TSO(since its the holiday's)-The Christmas Attic

sharcnorris 12-26-2005 08:12 AM

Holiday presents have been opened!!!!

Santa gave me Just what I need to cram for Wojteks Exam:

Wobbler -Hinterland
Salem Hill -Mimi
Neal -?
Riverside -2nd Life
Niacin -Organik :knowing:

So what did you guys get?

Rick and Roll 12-26-2005 08:26 AM

Re: Holiday presents have been opened!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharcnorris
Santa gave me Just what I need to cram for Wojteks Exam:

Wobbler -Hinterland
Salem Hill -Mimi
Neal -?
Riverside -2nd Life
Niacin -Organik :knowing:

So what did you guys get?

You just made me realize I didn't get the R30 (Rush) DVD]:-( I guess I wasn't good this year.

The only thing I picked up recently was the Chaos Code and the Kurgan's bane (they were free lol). I also got a demo from a thrash band my nephew is in, but you don't want to hear that:knowing:

I will buy Neal's ? and the Kate Bush. It will be too late to include them on my show this week, but I want to get a sampling before I vote in the poll.

Wojtek 12-26-2005 08:51 AM

Angels (gift-wise we have Santa on 6th dec and Angels on Christmas) brought me Devin Townsend's Terria. I've got mixed feelings but this is surely one of the most original hard prog albums I've ever heard. Unbelievably beautiful metal ambient soundscapes. On the other hand unfortunately fragments of "metal slaughterhouse", that I consider unpelasant for my ears. Anyway, very intriguing stuff.

Like sharc, I'm also playing Wobbler. Definitely one of my this year favs.

Rick and Roll 12-26-2005 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wojtek
Angels (gift-wise we have Santa on 6th dec and Angels on Christmas) brought me Devin Townsend's Terria. I've got mixed feelings but this is surely one of the most original hard prog albums I've ever heard. Unbelievably beautiful metal ambient soundscapes. On the other hand unfortunately fragments of "metal slaughterhouse", that I consider unpelasant for my ears. Anyway, very intriguing stuff.

Like sharc, I'm also playing Wobbler. Definitely one of my this year favs.

funny, I've seen Wobbler live but never heard a studio cut. My loss!

saw Devin Townsend "sing" with Steve Vai in 94 on the Sex and Religion tour. I have that record too. He's a bit over-emotive for my tastes, but I haven't kept in touch with his music for the following 10 years. Metal ambient! now that's a new genre!

Yesspaz 01-24-2006 05:37 PM

January playlist

Billy Mahonie - Dust
Wes Montgomery - Boss Guitar
Jon Anderson - In the City of Angels
Jethro Tull - Aqualung
Sigur Ros - Takk... (still)

Yesspaz 01-24-2006 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger -Dot- Lee
I noticed that too as I was putting it together. They're only short because my longs are all in the half hour plus range. Once I find a way of cramming 4 hours of MP3 on a single CD, I'm gonna be in good shape, since I'll only need two CDs for a full day's work with zero repetition.

It's not really that hard. I've been about the task of making mp3 cds that are "The Complete...." works of an artist on one cd. For instance, ripped at 128k, I fit all nine Zeppelin albums, the Page & Plant album, and the two original cuts from the Page & Plant live album all on one disc. Title: The Complete Led Zeppelin. Ripped at 160k I've got A-Manhattan Project and Maraton-Z of Rush on two discs. The Complete Simon and Garfunkel ripped at 320k. The Complete Beatles at 160k.

Shouldn't be too hard. I'm using standard 700M/80 min. discs. All I'm going is figuring out what is the best quality I can rip an artist's complete catalog at and still be under 700M, then viola! I'm using Nero, btw.

jkl2000 01-28-2006 09:42 AM

Crimson Jazz Trio -- "King Crimson Songbook Volume 1"
This is definitely my favorite album of 2005. Whether or not you're a jazz fan I think you'll enjoy this album.(8-D

sharcnorris 02-08-2006 10:25 PM

February Mid-Winterlist........

The Award shows are over and I'm still catching up---3 double CD's as well!

Mike Oldfield --Light and Shade
Kate Bush --Aerial
After the Storm --Various Prog Artists
Little Atlas --Wanderlust
and just to rock out....
Mike and the Mechanics --Rewired, the Hits

:flutter: :flutter: :flutter: :flutter: :flutter: :flutter: :flutter: :flutter: :flutter: :flutter: :flutter: :flutter: :flutter: :flutter: :flutter: :D :flutter: :flutter: :flutter: :flutter: :flutter: :flutter: :flutter: :flutter: :flutter: :flutter: :flutter: :flutter: :flutter: :flutter: :flutter:

zvinki 02-09-2006 08:23 AM

Same here Sharc,

I just received INDUKTI's S.U.S.A.R. (really, really good. You, Spaz and Poda would love it)

I also picked up Isis' Panopticon for some heavy atmospherics reminiscent of Tool mixed with G!YBE. Not for everyone but really soothes me.

Lastly I got the diametrically opposite to Isis: The Guitar Trio featuring Paco De Lucia, Al Di Meola, and John McLaughlin. Some really sweet jazzy classical guitar from the three masters. I am really getting into this lately and would appreciate anyone's recommendation for similar classical guitar/jazz/flamenco type of CD's.

Rick and Roll 02-09-2006 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zvinki
Same here Sharc,

I just received INDUKTI's S.U.S.A.R. (really, really good. You, Spaz and Poda would love it)

I also picked up Isis' Panopticon for some heavy atmospherics reminiscent of Tool mixed with G!YBE. Not for everyone but really soothes me.

Lastly I got the diametrically opposite to Isis: The Guitar Trio featuring Paco De Lucia, Al Di Meola, and John McLaughlin. Some really sweet jazzy classical guitar from the three masters. I am really getting into this lately and would appreciate anyone's recommendation for similar classical guitar/jazz/flamenco type of CD's.

I would be more responsive to this thread but I listen to some seriously non- prog stuff:)

The Trio has the great "Friday Night in San Francisco" and "Passion Grace and Fire"....

sharcnorris 03-13-2006 03:59 PM

March '06 Playlist

Still...
After the Storm
Oldfields Light and Shade...

Starting Salem Hills BE (thx rick)
Proto-Kaw- Wait of Glory
Helmet of Knats........

Well guys, I really did it now... I'm taking this time and place to tell my friends here at the Moon that Last March 4th I suffered a Minor stroke.
I was supposed to see Rick Wakemans Piano Tour the night before but it was canceled so we stayed home. The next morning I awoke to extreme Double vision and other fun stuff. 4 days in the hospital had them even looking at a spider bite as the cause since one got me 3 weeks earlier
I cannot see to use my puter for now but hope for a return within months with the return of my eyesight. I wish I had the strength to tell Andyyyy about my 13.4 system but it,s all just to hard right now...
For now, I leave the shouting to you. I miss Nadina, Rick and all my Moonbuds very muchand hope to sneak in soon...I'll be home listening............Did I mention I just got JOHN WETTONS DVD Amorata... to think I'll be better within 3 mths. I'll quote the Man

Rendesvous.6-02...........06

roger 03-13-2006 04:10 PM

sharc, my thoughts are with you. sending you energy, man.

Rick and Roll 03-13-2006 04:31 PM

Re: March '06 Playlist

Quote:

Still...
After the Storm

Proto-Kaw- Wait of Glory
Helmet of Knats........

Well guys, I really did it now... I'm taking this time and place to tell my friends here at the Moon that Last March 4th I suffered a Minor stroke.
I was supposed to see Rick Wakemans Piano Tour the night before but it was canceled so we stayed home. The next morning I awoke to extreme Double vision and other fun stuff. 4 days in the hospital had them even looking at a spider bite as the cause since one got me 3 weeks earlier
I cannot see to use my puter for now but hope for a return within months with the return of my eyesight. I wish I had the strength to tell Andyyyy about my 13.4 system but it,s all just to hard right now...
For now, I leave the shouting to you. I miss Nadina, Rick and all my Moonbuds very muchand hope to sneak in soon...I'll be home listening............Did I mention I just got JOHN WETTONS DVD Amorata... to think I'll be better within 3 mths. I'll quote the Man

sharc! I'm going into a meeting but just saw this..no wonder I hadn't heard you on Sunday night...I'll read this again later...get well! :smoooch:

KeithieW 03-13-2006 06:12 PM

Get well soonest Sharc..............my thoughts are with you.

Loads of positive vibes winging their way from me to you my friend.

Andyyyy 03-13-2006 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zvinki
Same here Sharc,

Try http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...983457-5321432
Rite of Strings- Jean-Luc-Ponte, Al DiMeola & Stanley Clark on Bass...it's killer! And if you like that too, you can get the DVD of the performance just before this release at the Montreaux Jazz Fest...

Andy

Andyyyy 03-13-2006 06:43 PM

Quote:

Still...
After the Storm

Proto-Kaw- Wait of Glory
Helmet of Knats........

Yikes! I just saw this! Prayers & positive vibes in your direction! If it's any consolation, the drummer for our local jazz band, the Ron Kobayashi Trio, had a minor stroke too. He's back playing again with the band, so I hope you take a similar path! Please do get well ASAP! I want to hear about that 13.4, whatever it may be...Rendesvous.6-02 What a great tune! You have chosen good music to heal by!

Prog on Bro!
Andy

mossy 03-13-2006 07:35 PM

So sorry to hear about this, sharc. Am very glad you told us. Please take time now to relax, and heal. The nice thing about the Moon is that it doesn't go anywhere. Do what you need for yourself. Sending good thoughts your way, mossy

lotus 03-14-2006 02:25 AM

Quote:

Still...
After the Storm

For now, I leave the shouting to you. I miss Nadina, Rick and all my Moonbuds very muchand hope to sneak in soon...I'll be home listening

Sharc, I am very sorry to hear this. I hope you recover very soon and join us again here at the Moon asap.

yorksrvc 03-14-2006 06:54 AM

Sharc, I hate to hear things like this. I REALLY hope you get better sooner than later. I too, have missed you around here. I still think of "Sharcnorris" everytime I put a PT CD on. Prayers and Wishes to you, brother!! Rob

ricb 03-14-2006 07:19 AM

oh man....what a bump in the road that one is. i'm really bummed to hear about that sharc.

i hope you get better my NE neighbor...may recovery be swift for you.

ric

moses 03-14-2006 01:36 PM

A late visit for me here... I can only echo what was said above and offer more prayers from me. Get well soon!

Yesspaz 03-14-2006 02:49 PM

Whoa Sharc. I am sorry I missed reading this earlier. Godspeed on your recovery.

Yesspaz 03-14-2006 02:53 PM

March playlist

Wes Montgomery - Guitar on the Go
Rovo - Pico!
The Benjamin Gate - Contact
The Cranberries - To the Faithful Departed
the Beatles - Past Masters, Vol. 1

zvinki 03-14-2006 04:04 PM

Really sorry to hear that sharc. I wish you a speedy recovery. Let music help you along this path.

podakayne 03-14-2006 10:20 PM

dear sharc

don't know if you can read this yet, but when you do, i want you to know how happy i am that you are still here with us and able to enjoy the healing music Aural Moon will bring you...keep your strength up and get plenty of rest, try not to over due...i know you'll chime in black whenever you can and we'll all be looking for you.

a swifter than swift recovery for you
much affection
poda

p.s. i think Yspaz's signature says it nicely...

Quote:

"God gave us music so that we may pray without words."

sharcnorris 03-21-2006 08:47 PM

Sharcbit but still swimming.........

My Moonbuds.......... after crying and then lauphing, I am just overwhelmed by all your kind taps. I'm OK but down so This was greeted with great affection . I see Nadina has also started a tread I just found. There I will briefly fill my friends in,
see you there.........twice.

meanwhile.what's in your CD player right now? ... and do you like it?

teermin8r 03-21-2006 08:54 PM

In my cd player in my truck right now is:

Marillion - Marbles (still)
David Gilmour - On an Island
Riverside - Second Life Syndrome
IQ - Dark Matter (still)
Porcupine Tree - Lightbulb Sun

progdirjim 03-21-2006 10:01 PM

The new David Gilmour
The new Brian Eno
The new Flower Kings
The new French TV
Stereolab - Cobra And Phases Group Play Voltage In The Milky Night (anybody know these guys? I'm thinking of adding them to the moon)

and I like all of them. A LOT.

KeithieW 03-22-2006 05:01 AM

In my player at the moment is:
Riverside - Second life Syndrome
Jethro Tull - Thick as a brick
Moody Blues - To our Childrens, Childrens, Children
Genesis - Foxtrot
Camel - Moonmadness
Wishbone Ash - Argus

I'm not old, just retro!!!! :-o~

Rick and Roll 03-22-2006 07:05 AM

Roots of Consciousness
Black Sabbath - Never Say Die
Ben Mink - Foreign Exchange
Indigo Girls - Swamp Ophelia
Peter Frampton - Peter Frampton

yorksrvc 03-22-2006 09:25 AM

Nosound Sol29
David Gilmore On an Island
Moon Safari Doorway to Summer
Magic Pie Motions of Desire
Neal Morse Testimony

roger 03-22-2006 02:57 PM

Seal Seal
Fusion Reactor #74... ;)
DeBoCo
Michael Manring Thonk
Richard Bona Munia

Yesspaz 03-23-2006 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by progdirjim
Stereolab - Cobra And Phases Group Play Voltage In The Milky Night (anybody know these guys? I'm thinking of adding them to the moon)

Stereolab? On the Moon? Wow. Yeah, I know them, and I think they're ok. I don't really know how they'd fit on the Moon. They're definitely in left field, but they seem to be more in the Radiohead/Spiritualized/Luxury realm (not that OK Computer, Kid A, and Amnesiac couldn't be on Moon). Stereolab lands totally in the "dream-pop" category to me - relatively simple tunes done with lush production and a few little flourishes to make it interesting.

If you like Stereolab, Jim, try Spiritualized's "Ladies & Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space," or better yet, they have a complete works vol. 1 & 2.

Roger -Dot- Lee 03-23-2006 06:02 PM

Quote:

Ya know, I really should stop paying so much attention to the things that don't matter (work) and paying more attention to the things that do (friends, family, and life in general). I'm taking this as a wakeup call.

Here's hoping for the best, Sharc. I'll toss a few on to the stack next time we're both on together.

Roger -Dot- Lee, Wow.

Roger -Dot- Lee 03-23-2006 06:11 PM

Oh, and my list:
  1. Arena - Pepper's Ghost
  2. Citizen Cain - Somewhere but Yesterday
  3. Genesis - Foxtrot
  4. Marillion - Misplaced Childhood
  5. Marillion - Script for a Jester's Tear

Roger -Dot- Lee, This week, anyway. GET WELL SOON, SHARC!

progdirjim 03-25-2006 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yesspaz
Stereolab? On the Moon? Wow. Yeah, I know them, and I think they're ok. I don't really know how they'd fit on the Moon. They're definitely in left field, but they seem to be more in the Radiohead/Spiritualized/Luxury realm (not that OK Computer, Kid A, and Amnesiac couldn't be on Moon). Stereolab lands totally in the "dream-pop" category to me - relatively simple tunes done with lush production and a few little flourishes to make it interesting.

If you like Stereolab, Jim, try Spiritualized's "Ladies & Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space," or better yet, they have a complete works vol. 1 & 2.

Dream pop? Interesting how we hear things differently. I hear that on a few songs I suppose, and I told Roger in my first e-mail that they're kind of "loungey", but man, are you hearing the time signatures? They're all over the place. Plus analog keys, marimbas, and counterpoint vocals. They're playing at the local House Of Blues next Wednesday, and I plan on taking a walk there to see them...

If Spiritualized is half as good as Stereolab, I owe you another one...

lotus 03-25-2006 04:53 PM

In player:

Trans Siberian Orchestra : Christmas Trilogy (although it is not the season..)
Roger Waters : In the flesh (life album)
RPWL : Start The Fire