Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion

Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion (http://auralmoon.com/forum/index.php)
-   Website (http://auralmoon.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Great to have AM back, what happened? (http://auralmoon.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6853)

deSousa 04-28-2016 02:26 AM

Great to have AM back, what happened?

The last time the website was fully functional was on the 19th of April. Was it "just" the DOS attack folk were talking about in the Speakeasy or something more?

And thanks for keeping the stream alive along the way.

Cheers.

VAXman 04-28-2016 02:21 PM

Re: Great to have AM back, what happened?

There stilll is an on-going DDoS attack affecting more than AuralMoon; it's affecting my entire network!

AuralMoon was down from the evening of 26 April through mid-day of 27 April. I will not elaborate here on what was done to take it down because I do not want any nefarious types that frequent here to know what does and what does not work to affect Aural Moon's operations. Suffice to say, I was out the morning of 27 April which prolonged the outage. I was able to easily revert the issue that caused the site to be down. I then immediately made another backup of the site to insure that there's a way back home if something worse should occur.

From time to time — and I don't understand why they'd want to target an internet radio station but they do — the Aural Moon server has come under attack. In the past, the hackets got into the site and munged a number of the key files that govern the web site. This latest outage was not caused by any over-reaching access to the web site. The culprit did not compromise any files or garner any elevated privilege status which could have jeopardized the site far worse than it was. I'm more than willing to speak to anybody that really wants to know but I will not publish here any details.

deSousa 04-29-2016 06:57 AM

Thanks for the account VAX, I just wanted to know what happened.

I was unable to access the website from the 19th to the 27th. The first days I was only getting a "not found" error, not even pings got a response. After that I would get the main page, but nothing was functional, speakeasy, queue, forum, none of it was responsive. Then in the 25th and 26th it was a full outage again.

Usually these attacks are preceded by an e-mail requesting money to avoid it. This seems to be an increasing criminal activity these days.

Cheers.

VAXman 04-29-2016 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deSousa (Post 54780)
Thanks for the account VAX, I just wanted to know what happened.

I was unable to access the website from the 19th to the 27th. The first days I was only getting a "not found" error, not even pings got a response. After that I would get the main page, but nothing was functional, speakeasy, queue, forum, none of it was responsive. Then in the 25th and 26th it was a full outage again.

Usually these attacks are preceded by an e-mail requesting money to avoid it. This seems to be an increasing criminal activity these days.

Cheers.

I'd welcome such an email; that'd be traceable. Sadly, it's either hacking to obtain or exceed authorized rights, or it's a DoS or DDoS to limit usefulness. At the moment, there's a DDoS/reflection attack ensuing in which the perpetrator(s) is(are) trying to amplify the attack vector of the real target by attempting to use my network (and pesumably many others) to send volumes of data to another victim.