Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion

Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion (http://auralmoon.com/forum/index.php)
-   Website (http://auralmoon.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Web Site Backup Window (http://auralmoon.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4272)

VAXman 02-10-2009 07:47 AM

Web Site Backup Window

Several days ago the web site fell victim to some script kiddies who, once I discovered they were exploiting the site, retaliated and whipped out MySQL. I managed to recover -- in fact installing some well needed updates in the effort -- the missing components and restore the site.

I am looking for a backup window. I would need about 4 hours to copy the full 36GB disk that is Aural Moon. I would like to do this on a monthly basis at a minimum.

Those of you who idle away your hours here most would be most affected by taking the site down so I'm asking you when you think a good window would be to do this. I would forward web requests to another server during the backup to provide a minimal notice that the site is down for backup.

Ted 02-10-2009 08:13 AM

Re: Web Site Backup Window

VAX,

Can you tell when the Shout box is at the lowest ebb? I know that when I log on at 5AM CST, there often hasn't been a shout for 2-3 hours.

Would that be a good time?

Regards,
Ted

NorCalKurt 02-10-2009 01:52 PM

how about after Tom's show on Sat. night.

VAXman 02-10-2009 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorCalKurt (Post 40285)
how about after Tom's show on Sat. night.

Yeah, I have no need for sleep. :notsure:

OverHillandDale 02-10-2009 04:18 PM

I've noticed lately that the 7-11pm slot is pretty quiet when no shows are playing that night. especially the old cozy slot or the evening of no request wednesdays.

NorCalKurt 02-10-2009 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VAXman (Post 40286)
Yeah, I have no need for sleep. :notsure:

Sleep! You don't need no stinking sleep! ;) But, Dale may be onto something with his suggestion.

VAXman 02-10-2009 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorCalKurt (Post 40288)
Sleep! You don't need no stinking sleep! ;) But, Dale may be onto something with his suggestion.

Actually, I considered that time after Gags and that may be the time slot.

I typically finish up tasks involved with Gags by about 02:30. I could shutdown the server, boot VMS from a DVD, move the backup drive into the bay and perform an image copy to a similar drive; then, go to sleep and bring it all back on line by 07:00 or whenever I get up. It's never late and it's a Sunday morning; nobody does anything important then anyway. I'll put a rule in the router too to forward any Aural Moon http to another server announcing that the moon is down for backup.

KeithieW 02-11-2009 02:55 AM

Sounds OK to me VAX.....as ever the "Mopper of the Moon, Mopper of all" is on the case.

Moonies are in the safest of hands.

OverHillandDale 02-15-2009 10:38 AM

Any decision as to when this will occur?

VAXman 02-15-2009 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverHillandDale (Post 40385)
Any decision as to when this will occur?

Let me fill all of you in...

I attempted to implement a Gallery module this past week. I installed it but it complained about myriad missing libraries. I installed a great many that were called out in complaint. As a result, the Who's Online is once again functional!!! :D However, I had to uninstall the Gallery for now because it seemed to be causing some web site issues and because I could never get gd, which the Gallery module requires, integrated.

The big problem causing this is that the linux OS version on the web site server is OLD by software standards. The installed linux release is 2005! We're 4 years hence, an eternity in the software world.

I have a Dr. app't tomorrow (Mon. 16 Feb) which will carve a good bit of time out of the day. The kids are home from school too for observance of President's Day. I'm not certain yet what is on the table for Tuesday; however, I was thinking about taking the web site down on Wednesday (because it's request free and thus, moonies won't complaint too profusely about their beloved request ability being denied them) to perform a backup and then perform an upgrade of the OS.

Another alternative is to keep the web site up, after performing an image backup of the entire site, and do the upgrade on the backup copy of the system. If I do go this route, I will remove forum, news, and other posting so that the database is maintained in the same condition as in the backup copy. The shout box could remain accessible as well as the request features should the update run longer than anticipated.

Having this site remain as 24x7 as possible has caused a lapse in some really needed system maintenance. I'm trying to keep this community as accessible is possible and I will attempt to do so during the upgrade process.

NorCalKurt 02-15-2009 12:23 PM

I say do what you have to do, when you can. We can handle the site being down. Really.... I'll be......OK.... =8^O Thanks for all you do.

OverHillandDale 02-15-2009 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VAXman (Post 40386)
Let me fill all of you in...

I attempted to implement a Gallery module this past week. I installed it but it complained about myriad missing libraries. I installed a great many that were called out in complaint. As a result, the Who's Online is once again functional!!! :D However, I had to uninstall the Gallery for now because it seemed to be causing some web site issues and because I could never get gd, which the Gallery module requires, integrated.

The big problem causing this is that the linux OS version on the web site server is OLD by software standards. The installed linux release is 2005! We're 4 years hence, an eternity in the software world.

I have a Dr. app't tomorrow (Mon. 16 Feb) which will carve a good bit of time out of the day. The kids are home from school too for observance of President's Day. I'm not certain yet what is on the table for Tuesday; however, I was thinking about taking the web site down on Wednesday (because it's request free and thus, moonies won't complaint too profusely about their beloved request ability being denied them) to perform a backup and then perform an upgrade of the OS.

Another alternative is to keep the web site up, after performing an image backup of the entire site, and do the upgrade on the backup copy of the system. If I do go this route, I will remove forum, news, and other posting so that the database is maintained in the same condition as in the backup copy. The shout box could remain accessible as well as the request features should the update run longer than anticipated.

Having this site remain as 24x7 as possible has caused a lapse in some really needed system maintenance. I'm trying to keep this community as accessible is possible and I will attempt to do so during the upgrade process.

I would venture to say just take it down and do the most thorough process. Sounds way too complicated to work around keeping it up for a few extra hours. We will all understand. As long as the stream's unaffected, of course. ;)

You da man, Vax. Thank you for your constant vigilance and sacrifices. (but I know you love doing it.) 8-) :vaxman:

KeithieW 02-15-2009 03:23 PM

Do what needs to be done when YOU want to do it VAX.........just do it. :)

lotus 02-15-2009 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeithieW (Post 40389)
Do what needs to be done when YOU want to do it VAX.........just do it. :)

And keep us informed...:D