Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion

Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion (http://auralmoon.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion/Prog News (http://auralmoon.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Why Do People Hate Prog? (http://auralmoon.com/forum/showthread.php?t=655)

zvinki 08-14-2003 04:19 PM

Why Do People Hate Prog?

I'll start.

Because their attention span can be measured in nanoseconds.:D

KeithieW 08-14-2003 05:46 PM

Hmmmmmmmmmmm!

So what if they don't????

More chance of me picking up that obscure album I've been looking for.

Let them go boil there heads!

Extended Play 08-14-2003 06:55 PM

Re: Why Do People Hate Prog?

Quote:

Originally posted by zvinki
Because their attention span can be measured in nanoseconds.:D
I'd say it's not so much a hate as just a misunderstanding. People think that prog is just an overblown dinosaur but miss the whole point of diversity in music. Of course, some people don't like change or different things in general. Oh well, more music and spicy indian food for me.

Tommy

PlayingTheFool 08-14-2003 07:36 PM

Also close mindedness.

ivan_2068 08-14-2003 10:12 PM

1.- People hate what they don't understand.

2.- Most people listen or buy what DJ's and radios tell them to buy or listen and DJ's don't care for prog'.

3.- It's not fashion.

4.- You need a normal or superior IQ to listen prog'.

5.- MTV doesnt show prog' videos.

6.- People likes what is simpler, they don't want anything complex.

7.- Almost no Prog' musician has big breasts :D

Now, I really believe most people doesn't hate prog' they just don't know it exists.

Radio, TV, Magazines and Music Industry need bands that sell 20'000,000 copies in one week and then dissapear to leave free way for a new "artists". Prog' musicians don't fit in that profile, so they are no bussines, that's why you read stupid reviews in every place. Sadly people believes what this "so called critics" say.

Iván

Extended Play 08-14-2003 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ivan_2068
7.- Almost no Prog' musician has big breasts :D
I resent that remark! Both Greg Lake and John Wetton are now gifted with very large breasts.

Tommy

KeithieW 08-15-2003 02:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by Extended Play

7.- Almost no Prog' musician has big breasts

I resent that remark! Both Greg Lake and John Wetton are now gifted with very large breasts.

Tommy

Yeah but did anyone ever see Stacia dance with Hawkwind?

Breasts???? Ye gods she was a beauty! Hope this doesn't offend anyone. It's not meant to as it's just to record a moment in time. and what a moment!!!!!

Please note the copywright....

Extended Play 08-15-2003 09:21 AM

yay hawkwind . . . go hawkwind

it gives a whole new definition to wankers!

KeithieW 08-15-2003 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Extended Play
yay hawkwind . . . go hawkwind

it gives a whole new definition to wankers!

But never DURING the gig, man!!!!!:o

roger 08-16-2003 03:56 PM

I was going to mention Kate Bush, but after that picture... :D

Josephus 08-18-2003 11:07 AM

David Gilmour is also fitting into C Cups of late.....

KeithieW 08-18-2003 11:11 AM

Middle aged spread......

I think most of us are...............well at least I am :D

Extended Play 08-18-2003 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Josephus
Anyone here ever seen the Shine On Parody titled "Shine On You Fat Bastard".

It was on Echoes quite a while back, but I know that I don't have it in my archives. Understandably, it was about fatso Dave, duh!

"Mmmmmm, pork chops!" - David Gilmour

Rick and Roll 08-18-2003 11:37 AM

Deterioration

A fascinating comment on our society that an intelligent, cerebral discussion can break down into a discourse on breasts.

I, for one, am pleased.

If I had breasts like that, I'd never leave the house.

Oh yeah - about the "prog-haters". I think it's just a time factor - most people have to pick their interests. It's sad, but true. I have found myself not experimenting with listening to as much as I should, mainly due to time constraints. If a "prog-lover" such as myself cannot devote the time, it's hard to see how the general population can.

I ran into a old friend I hadn't seen in over 15 years yesterday at a party, and since he's a big Yes fan, I thought he might like the Flower Kings - "never heard of them" was the response. So we talked while listening to newer rock. I realized I was out of touch with what's going on the "non-cerebral" end - I heard yet another Nickelback song I liked, and heard Audioslave for the first time. Basically, it gave me a little perspective on why prog isn't more popular. It's simply an exposure and time issue.

Also, our society (at least in the U.S.) is so pre-occupied with things like reality TV, action flicks, Jackass - I can't really see a prog band on a double bill with Jerry Springer.

Hell, even my wife doesn't get into prog. I guess the key is not to take it personally.

KeithieW 08-18-2003 12:02 PM

Re: Deterioration

Quote:

Originally posted by Rick and Roll

If I had breasts like that, I'd never leave the house.

I'm almost sorry I posted that picture of Stacia now.....

Regarding the Prog Haters.

I guess some of the younger members of soceity would argue the same about Rap/Garage/Whatever label they hang on it.....it sure as hell isn't R n' B!!!! The difference is that I have TRIED to listen but couldn't find ANYTHING I could get my head around. My friends' kids don't understand why I don't like it and won't listen when I try to expalin why. Terms like 'Old Fart' start doing the rounds about then.

Eminem should stick to being a candy covered peanut!!!

PlayingTheFool 08-18-2003 01:10 PM

Quote:

LOL!!!!:D

byzantium 08-19-2003 11:31 AM

going on topic

I think it comes down to

(1) how much effort you are willing to sacrifice to discover new music that doesn't appeal to you at first listen.

(2) a notion of genre purity, that some genres shouldn't mix.

(3) what people (critics, friends) say is bad and good taste.

Yesspaz 08-22-2003 11:43 AM

THey just don't know music is out there.

I've always had this sort of phenomenon happen:

Most people just listen to the radio and have no idea other stuff is out there. For instance, if I want to get someone into prog, I don't tell them what I'm putting in is prog. I just put in some music. Ususally, I get a "What in the world is that" type of response. I tell them, "This is a band called Don Caballero." Then there's the, "How did you find out about this band?" type of question, which leads to then telling me they never have time to look for music.

Secondly, for all those tons of people who have never heard prog, and therefore don't know by experience how good it can be, may be biased against it. By reading anything from Blender to Rolling Stone to watching MTV, what little exposure most people have to prog is negative. Prog's not "cool." Prog's not "hip." Prog is looked down upon. If you take a random teenager and introduce them to King Crimson by saying, "this is a prog-band," you can forget it. If you tell him "this is a freaking cool band from the 70s" and play him RED without telling him it's prog, he's hooked, and then when he finds out it's prog, he'll be shocked. Prog has a stigma. Avoid the stigma.

Hey, Stigma would be a good name for a band.

Josephus 08-25-2003 03:25 PM

There is a certain stigma that applies to progressive rock bands. it's a fact that most music journos hate it. Not only that, they're willing to make fun of it. Progressive rock fell out of favour sometime around 1978 and it's had a hard time trying to make a comeback. In fact, even many "old proggers" are unaware that there is such a thing as neo-prog rock (Porcupine Tree, etc.)

What is even more relevant to this discussion (besides Gilmour's breast size) is that many "neo-prog bands" really try to distant themselves from the term "progressive rock". Read any interview with Steve Hogarth of Marillion or Steve Wilson of Porcupine Tree (maybe it's the name Steve) and they get totally irate when dismissed as a "progressive rock band." In fact nothing irritates Steve Wilson more than any reference to Pink Floyd in describing their music.

Extended Play 08-25-2003 03:30 PM

Quote:

. . . Read any interview with Steve Hogarth of Marillion or Steve Wilson of Porcupine Tree (maybe it's the name Steve) and they get totally irate when dismissed as a "progressive rock band." In fact nothing irritates Steve Wilson more than any reference to Pink Floyd in describing their music.
Yes, I've seen the same thing with Peter Gabriel or any of the current Crimson members. It's understandably a stigma to them that they feel is transcended. Understandably, I can see trying to escape the mold, so people can see past the cape-covered exterior.